Hawking to Earthlings: Warp Drive Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granite

Hall of Fame
:rotfl:

Oh how this once mighty franchise has fallen...

Just like Pittsburgh. Sweet mother of God do they suck.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
The Berean said:
And who is going to pay for these warp-drives? With the Democrats is charge now that means it will be us taxpayers. :noid:

If there is money to be made, private industry will build it.

Why is every major scientific breakthrough "20 years away"? As a teenager back in the mid 1980s I remember being so enthused about fusion power plants, fuel cell cars, flying cars, hypersonic civilain airliners, and intelligent robots being "20 years away"! Well, it's been 20 years so where is all this stuff?

Did you see this story from last week where a 17 year old created fusion in his basement? He is the 18th amature to do so.

Even if the GUTS is only 20 years away that's just the theory part. "Warp drive" will require the ability to have contolled manipulation of space-time itself. Good luck with that.

I was merely commenting on your view that we won't know enough about physics for hundreds of years. If Hawking is correct, we'll know 'everything there is to know' much sooner.

WandererInFog

Um, did anyone actually read the interview with Hawking? Cause I'm pretty sure the writer of the original post didn't, as in the interview the only mention of a "warp drive" is Hawking says that such a thing is impossible as it would violate the laws of physics (no going faster than the speed of light), but then going on to add using matter/antimatter annihilation for energy we should be able build vehicles able to travel at speeds approaching (though not exceeding) the speed of light, which would allow us to reach other star system in reasonable periods of time.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
WandererInFog said:
Um, did anyone actually read the interview with Hawking? Cause I'm pretty sure the writer of the original post didn't, as in the interview the only mention of a "warp drive" is Hawking says that such a thing is impossible as it would violate the laws of physics (no going faster than the speed of light), but then going on to add using matter/antimatter annihilation for energy we should be able build vehicles able to travel at speeds approaching (though not exceeding) the speed of light, which would allow us to reach other star system in reasonable periods of time.

The nearest start system is a little over 4 light years away. What are the chances we'll find habitable planets there?

WandererInFog

BillyBob said:
The nearest start system is a little over 4 light years away. What are the chances we'll find habitable planets there?

At this point it's really impossible to say. The extrasolar planets we've spotted thus far all seem to be so different than the ones in our own system, it's hard to know exactly what they're like. We're finding things like Jupiter sized planets orbiting extremely close to their stars, and have only found one rocky planet but it's 6-8x times the side of earth. There has been some pushes for funding for projects aimed specifically at attempting to detect earth-like planets in terms size and distance from their star, but at current none are actually be funded.

fool

Hall of Fame
I think the future lies in space itself rather than on another planet.

Status
Not open for further replies.