Status
Not open for further replies.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Hawking to Earthlings: Warp Drive Needed

This is the show from Thursday November 30th, 2006.

SUMMARY:

* Africans Getting Fat: gradually, the rest of the world encounters the kinds of prosperity problems (cheap food, desserts, etc.) Americans have long faced.

* Insignificant Hawking: Doomsday prophet and the world's best-known atheist scientist Stephen Hawking is well known for his claim that the entire human race is insignificant (Google 7 of 27,000 for: "Stephen Hawking" insignificant). Yet, Hawking obsesses on saving this insignificant existence of mankind by calling for warp drive space ships for man to avoid earth-bound annihilation. Once again, atheism leads to intellectual insignificance.

* Ted from Indianapolis: has a Christian co-worker who has accidentally acknowledged the error in her false belief that Christians should automatically forgive everyone. Unwittingly taking a G-I-A-N-T step toward the truth, she has admitted that Jesus did NOT teach that we should forgive automatically, but that we should rebuke another believer who sins against us, and "if he repents, forgive him" (Luke 17:3)! Of course, we should love our unbelieving neighbor no less!

Today's Resources: You can listen to Nicer than God, a fast-paced critique of today's Christian teaching on the issues of judging, forgiveness, confrontation, etc. in audiotape or MP3-CD format.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I love the fact that people here think they're in a position to disparage a man like Hawkins in any way, shape, or form.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Nothing at all. What kills me are the people here who think Hawking doesn't have a clue.

The Berean

What's the point for calling for warp drive ships? Given our current state of knowledge of physics, warp-drive is probably centuries away at least. Colonizing others planents is really a non-issues for now. Mankind may colonize Mars within 50 years but that's probably it for any planet colonization in our lifetimes.

The Berean

Granite said:
I love the fact that people here think they're in a position to disparage a man like Hawkins in any way, shape, or form.
So I guess Hawkins is never wrong, and is above any criticism? :think: I liked his book, A Brief History of Time as a kid...

Granite

Hall of Fame
The Berean said:
So I guess Hawkins is never wrong, and is above any criticism? :think: I liked his book, A Brief History of Time as a kid...

Hawking has been wrong in the past and has admitted as much. But no one at TOL is in any intellectual position to mock the man or his work.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Granite said:
Hawking has been wrong in the past and has admitted as much. But no one at TOL is in any intellectual position to mock the man or his work.

Can we mock the fact that he talks with a robot voice?

:mock: :turbo:

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
The Berean said:
What's the point for calling for warp drive ships?

Gotta start sometime.

Given our current state of knowledge of physics, warp-drive is probably centuries away at least.

According to Hawking, GUTS [Grand Unified Theory] may be only 20 years away.

Colonizing others planents is really a non-issues for now. Mankind may colonize Mars within 50 years but that's probably it for any planet colonization in our lifetimes.

Gotta start sometime.

GuySmiley

BillyBob said:
Gotta start sometime.
When I was a kid watching Star Trek, one time I said "Wouldn't it be cool if we had warp drive, someone should build that."

Don't give credit to Hawking, I called for warp drive 28 years ago.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
GuySmiley said:
When I was a kid watching Star Trek, one time I said "Wouldn't it be cool if we had warp drive, someone should build that."

Don't give credit to Hawking, I called for warp drive 28 years ago.

I'll be sure you get the credit for the 'Transporter' when they build it, too. :chuckle:

The Berean

BillyBob said:
Gotta start sometime.
And who is going to pay for these warp-drives? With the Democrats is charge now that means it will be us taxpayers. :noid:

According to Hawking, GUTS [Grand Unified Theory] may be only 20 years away.
Why is every major scientific breakthrough "20 years away"? As a teenager back in the mid 1980s I remember being so enthused about fusion power plants, fuel cell cars, flying cars, hypersonic civilain airliners, and intelligent robots being "20 years away"! Well, it's been 20 years so where is all this stuff? Even if the GUTS is only 20 years away that's just the theory part. "Warp drive" will require the ability to have contolled manipulation of space-time itself. Good luck with that.

Gotta start sometime.
See my first response above.

GuySmiley

Granite said:
What about the blasters and photo torpedoes?
I never wanted those, so I guess they are up for grabs for someone to want. I don't think Hawkings has asked for them yet.

But seriously, who cares if Hawkings thinks we need warp drive? Is some engineer going to start working on it now because Hawkings said we need it? If it were even remotely technically feasible, someone would be working on it (someone probably already is I suppose). Its not going to become more technically feasible just because Hawking asked for it. Why is this news?

Status
Not open for further replies.