Greenland is Melting Away

bybee

Posting data to the fundamentalists here is like trying to teach quantum mechanics to preschoolers. Both are a massive waste of time, guaranteed to only end in frustration (and in both cases, your audience will just call you names).

You came here with a chip on your shoulder and a very negative approach to anyone with whom you disagreed. In short, you were not very cordial and the response to you was therefore, not very cordial.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
It's not a matter of giving up, it's a matter of understanding one's audience. There is research showing that with some folks, showing them data that contradicts their views only makes them hold to their views even more. IOW, it's counterproductive.

Here's a decent read on the subject. The Science of Why We Don't Believe Science
I agree.

I've discovered that the meaning of any message we send is found in the reaction we get from those we communicate it to.

If we don't like that reaction, we need to change what WE are doing. It does no good to blame the other person for "not getting it."
We need to change our messaging, not change the other side.

And if we don't get the response we want, then we need to do something different and keep changing and adapting until we get the response we want.

Jose Fly

You came here with a chip on your shoulder and a very negative approach to anyone with whom you disagreed. In short, you were not very cordial and the response to you was therefore, not very cordial.

I lurked here for a while before I joined and started posting. Before I joined, this place was just like it is today.

bybee

I lurked here for a while before I joined and started posting. Before I joined, this place was just like it is today.

We are a microcosm of society, having the good the bad and the ugly amongst us.
I disagree with many here and agree with some.

Jose Fly

I agree.

I've discovered that the meaning of any message we send is found in the reaction we get from those we communicate it to.

If we don't like that reaction, we need to change what WE are doing. It does no good to blame the other person for "not getting it."
We need to change our messaging, not change the other side.

And if we don't get the response we want, then we need to do something different and keep changing and adapting until we get the response we want.

It depends on the subject and the audience. Like I keep saying, there are lots of times here when the "debates" are like trying to convince a devout Muslim that beer goes really well with pork ribs.

The fact is, there are instances when the person you're talking to simply is not open at all to what you're saying, and nothing you do or say will change that. The key thing on your part is recognizing when that occurs. Otherwise, you end up spending a lot of time needlessly banging up against a brick wall.

And then there's the "internet factor", where some people are just kinda nuts. That's when I remember what someone told me a while ago...."Who's crazier...the guy on the street corner calling the fire hydrant Satan, or the person who goes up and tries to argue with him?" :think:

brewmama

It's a hoax. Pay no attention to "fact-based research." Whatever you believe is true. Not any sort of evidence or honest data allowed.

LOL! How funny! When your side has provided absolutely NO FACTS, just model-based projections, and maybes, mights and fervent wishes, and theories on where the name "Greenland" came from.
Meanwhile the rate of sea level rise has not increased in at least 100 years.

"Not any sort of evidence or honest data allowed."

Oh, the irony!

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
It depends on the subject and the audience. Like I keep saying, there are lots of times here when the "debates" are like trying to convince a devout Muslim that beer goes really well with pork ribs.

The fact is, there are instances when the person you're talking to simply is not open at all to what you're saying, and nothing you do or say will change that. The key thing on your part is recognizing when that occurs. Otherwise, you end up spending a lot of time needlessly banging up against a brick wall.

And then there's the "internet factor", where some people are just kinda nuts. That's when I remember what someone told me a while ago...."Who's crazier...the guy on the street corner calling the fire hydrant Satan, or the person who goes up and tries to argue with him?" :think:
The Apostle Paul used the same technique in the speech to "an unknown God." He tailored his preaching to the audience he was addressing. He was a skilled speaker in the ancient world's idea of rhetoric.

Quetzal

LOL! How funny! When your side has provided absolutely NO FACTS, just model-based projections, and maybes, mights and fervent wishes, and theories on where the name "Greenland" came from.
Meanwhile the rate of sea level rise has not increased in at least 100 years.

"Not any sort of evidence or honest data allowed."

Oh, the irony!
There is plenty of data to support this. If you choose to ignore them, that is up to you. But they are still there none the less.

brewmama

There is plenty of data to support this. If you choose to ignore them, that is up to you. But they are still there none the less.

There is no "data". There are only predictions made by historically wildly inaccurate computer models. That gives neither data nor facts. You are the one one refusing to accept that there are no facts to support the cagwista view.

The Berean

We go back and forth on global warming here at TOL. The more important question is what are we (humanity) going to do about it? :think:

Quetzal

We go back and forth on global warming here at TOL. The more important question is what are we (humanity) going to do about it? :think:
Nothing can feasibly be done (in this country) if a large group of the voting populace continue to elect for deliberate ignorance in lieu of scientific data.

brewmama

Yes, exactly. Like firing them, or using Gore's and Mann's bullying tactics.

"A popular weatherman has been sacked by a leading French news channel after condemning top climate change experts."

"Mr Verdier told RTL radio, the news channel’s decision was a “direct extension of what I say in my book, namely that any contrary views must be eliminated.”

The book primarily attacks the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, saying the organisation “blatantly erased” data that was contrary to their conclusions and doubts the accuracy of the IPCC’s climate models.

It also claims top climate scientists have been “manipulated and politicised”.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...book-questioning-climate-change-a6695726.html

The Berean

Nothing can feasibly be done (in this country) if a large group of the voting populace continue to elect for deliberate ignorance in lieu of scientific data.

Ummm...people can do lots of things in their personal lives to slow down the affects of global warming. I recently bought a bicycle to ride to work for example to reduce the use of my car. I plan to ride to work 3-4 times a week. I am a fastidious recycler as well. I am doing things to my home to reduce its carbon footprint . I'm looking into changing jobs (I'm a mechanical engineer) and go work for a green tech company. I'm just one person but if tens of millions or hundreds of millions people all took small steps the combined effort can make a significant difference.

Quetzal

Ummm...people can do lots of things in their personal lives to slow down the affects of global warming. I recently bought a bicycle to ride to work for example to redcue the use of my car. I plan to ride to work 3-4 times a week. I am an fastidious recycler as well. I am doing things to my home to reduce its carbon footprint . I'm looking into changing jobs (I'm a mechanical engineer) and go work for a green tech company. I'm just one person but if tens of millions or hundreds of millions people all took small steps the combined effort can make a significant difference.
Oh I see, I thought you were referring to government policies. I follow you now.

The Berean

Oh I see, I thought you were referring to government policies. I follow you now.

I think governent policies done in steps can be very effective. I read about how the city of Paris, France closed off about 30% of it's streets for one day last month.

http://www.wired.com/2015/09/paris-day-sans-cars-shows-us-cities-can/

As expected the pollution dropped dramatically on that day. I think things like this shows and encourages people that their individual efforts can make a difference.