ECT Grace is unconditional but not universal

Status
Not open for further replies.

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber
Not futile but a fact - you did not substantiate your claim...it's there for all to see.

But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

I did plenty of both, and could continue at length. I didn't know you were merely debating. I thought I was serving you as admonished in scripture. I didn't abruptly disenagage because I can't go forward with an apologetic. I disengaged because you are not inclined to hear while simply dismissing much of what is said because you're only contending for a position.

And stop abusing scripture. You did not ask in the context of that passage at all. You are debating competitively, not asking as inquiry regarding salvation. Neither Jesus nor the Apostles ran such a qauntlet, so no one is mandated to go toe to toe with those who ignore truth presented.

You confirm that you are disingenuous when you misemploy the text to twist its application. I'm not compelled to satisfy the lengths to which you will go to assert man's Synergism without even knowing what it means. Your strawman is not the context of that passage, and you should know that.

You're here with motives, which is why I disengaged. You like this as a game.

Ex cathedra?

LOL. I'd say you're attempting such, not me. You wrongly frame your whole argument for debate, and then presume others haven't addressed it or refuted it in whatever measure.

You don't start with God's attributes. You don't assess time versus timelessness. You just subtly present well-rehearsed exploitations of the false binary according to a baseline relative only to your presuppositions.

Others do it, too; including Calvinists in their own ways. You're not about truth at all, though. You're about presuming to win a debate. You're at the track, but with no dog in the race. Disingenuous. And probably oblivious to even that. Sad.

And you failed to demonstrate it.

No. You don't even know what Synergism is, having mistakenly compared it to the Edenic lapse. You don't see that you're standing on the wrong side of a veil, which is why you can't see. You don't want to see. You want to debate. And it's for the sake of debate. You've practiced and honed a certain position to exploit the difficult paradox between the Calvinist and Arminian positions; so you have a self-ground lens through which you attempt to establish man's righteousness in some minute degree over God's love.

You don't even know uou're contending against God's love, because you're on lock-down to promote one side of a false binary.

The futility to which I was referring was not subject matter, but seeing your motives for what they are. You, sir, are every bit as contentious as you may be genuine. You're here for yourself. To speak, not to hear. So you can't and won't.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
What I find interesting is that Sonnet, the absence of his confession of faith in Jesus notwithstanding, understands more of the scriptures than anyone I have read in all my years, on this forum; almost without error when objectively making his points. But then, that is just me who does confess Christ and I am considered a heretic. 'Go figger'.

I don't see any understanding whatsoever from her.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
You're making the Paul of Romans 10:1ff disingenuous. Woefully so.

You don't understand. Here, Paul has just given his theological doctrine of God's grace from chapters 1-8, then he breaks stride in chapters 9-11 by focusing on the nationally elected Israel. He explains that the disobedience of Israel as a nation in the unpardonable sin of Mt12 has resulted in salvation for the Gentiles.

If God does not fulfill His promises to the nation of Israel then the church (gentile and Jewish believers) shouldn't expect God to fulfill the promise of glorification to us. But He will do that, God will save all of Israel in a day.

Paul who grew up with the generation that committed the unpardonable sin (as he himself did) is merely stating his sadness of his generation's blindness.

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber
What conceit. A proving by your well lathered mouth that "Knowledge" indeed, "puffeth up".

Proving that God will leave no stone unturned to get His point across.

And there we have it.

Gnosis (knowledge) is used ONCE in all of scripture in a negative sense, and that in context to behavior regarding meat sacrificed to idols (1Cor. 8:1). Nowhere else is it used with reference to being "puffed up". It is also used of how husbands and wives "know" one another, as well as many other usages including "knowing" God, etc.

And gnosis (knowledge) is not epignosis (knowledge) or oida (knowledge); and none of those are the 100+ other words related to knowing and understanding and discerning and having wisdom or prudence or discretion, etc.

Love abounds in knowledge (epignosis - Philippians 1:9).

So you've clearly demonstrated that it is YOU who is "puffed up" in such nominal alleged knowledge that you violate the very scripture you attempt to proof-text for ad hominem.

YOU are everything that is wrong with one entire dumbed-down facet of the modernized pseudo-Christian movement, which is the various cults of Third Wave Charismaticism as false Pentecostalism.

Congrats on demonstrating the lack of knowledge we are commanded to have.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
No - verses 1-5 deal with then unbeliever.

THE DEEP THINGS OF GOD:

I CORINTHIANS 2:9-3:4

But as it is written,Things which eye saw not, and ear heard not, And which entered not into the heart of man, Whatsoever things God prepared for them that love him. But unto us God revealed them through the Spirit: for the Spirit searches all things, yea, the deep things of God. For who among men knows the things of a man, save the spirit of the man, which is in him? even so the things of God none knows, save the Spirit of God. But we received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is from God; that we might know the things that were freely given to us of God. Which things also we speak, not in words which man's wisdom teaches, but which the Spirit teaches; combining spiritual things with spiritual words. Now the natural man receives not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him; and he cannot know them, because they are spiritually judged. But he that is spiritual judges all things, and he himself is judged of no man. For who has known the mind of the Lord, that he should instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ. And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, as unto babes in Christ. I fed you with milk, not with meat; for ye were not yet able to bear it: nay, not even now are ye able; for ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you jealousy and strife, are ye not carnal, and do ye not walk after the manner of men? For when one says, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not men?

The first point is that divine revelation has now been given through the written Word of God (v. 9). Whereas in the past, certain things had not been revealed, now many more things are being revealed, and divine revelation has now been given through the written Word of God.

The second point is that the Holy Spirit now has the ministry of illumination (vv. 10-11). The Holy Spirit illuminates the mind in the revelation of the deep things of God. God has provided His revelation in the written Word, and the Holy Spirit functions as our “illuminator.” He illuminates our mind to understand the things of God which no man can know but by the Spirit only . So, men are classified according to their ability to receive and understand the deep things of God. Overall in this passage, there are four such classifications of men.

The first classification is the natural man. The word that Paul uses here is psuchikos, and it literally means “soulish man.” The word that Paul uses here is psuchikos, and it literally means “soulish man.” This is the one found in I Corinthians 2:14.

The second classification is: babes in Christ. The word Paul uses here is sarkinos, which literally means “flesh-man.” That is the word used in I Corinthians 3:1-2

The third category he uses is the “carnal man.” The Greek word here is sarkikos, which literally means the “fleshly man,” and is used in I Corinthians 3:3-4.

The fourth classification is the “spiritual man”, the mature, adult man. The word used is pneumatikos in I Corinthians 2:15.

1. The Natural Man The fifth point is to describe the first classification of men: the natural man (v. 14). Again, the Greek word used is psuchikos, the “soulish man.” This is the unregenerate man, the unsaved man. The unsaved man remains spiritually unchanged because he does not have the Holy Spirit (Rom. 8:9; Jude 19). Because the natural man is an unsaved man, he does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, none whatsoever! As far as he is concerned, they are foolishness, and the unsaved man has a need to dispose of or do away with the supernatural. That is why, for example, the unsaved man needs the Theory of Evolution. He believes in evolution, not because of any scientific validity of the theory, but because he needs to do away with any possibility of the supernatural. Furthermore, not only are spiritual things foolishness to him, he cannot know them; there is an innate inability to comprehend, to receive, to know or to interact with spiritual truth. He simply does not have the ability to know the deep things of God. He does, however, have the ability to know the deep things of Satan (Rev. 2:24), but not the deep things of God.

Excerpt from Dr Arnold Fruchtenbaum
"What is the Spiritual Life a Definition" MBS 136

ariel.org

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
The alternative to predestination is pretty weak when put to scrutiny.

'Till Kingdom Come, thy will be done'

..but when they aren't in a prayer mood, they make God's will secondary :rolleyes:

Nang

TOL Subscriber
The Holy Spirit has always illuminated minds and revealed God's Truth to a remnant of mankind. It is not a NT phenomena.

And I feel this exegesis of the passage is forced. There is no need for these categories. Either a visible church member truly possesses the mind of Christ, via the Holy Spirit, or he does not.

That is the warning and the teaching Paul presented.

Cross Reference

And there we have it.

Gnosis (knowledge) is used ONCE in all of scripture in a negative sense, and that in context to behavior regarding meat sacrificed to idols (1Cor. 8:1). Nowhere else is it used with reference to being "puffed up". It is also used of how husbands and wives "know" one another, as well as many other usages including "knowing" God, etc.

And gnosis (knowledge) is not epignosis (knowledge) or oida (knowledge); and none of those are the 100+ other words related to knowing and understanding and discerning and having wisdom or prudence or discretion, etc.

Love abounds in knowledge (epignosis - Philippians 1:9).

So you've clearly demonstrated that it is YOU who is "puffed up" in such nominal alleged knowledge that you violate the very scripture you attempt to proof-text for ad hominem.

YOU are everything that is wrong with one entire dumbed-down facet of the modernized pseudo-Christian movement, which is the various cults of Third Wave Charismaticism as false Pentecostalism.

Congrats on demonstrating the lack of knowledge we are commanded to have.

Likewise.

Cross Reference

The Holy Spirit has always illuminated minds and revealed God's Truth to a remnant of mankind. It is not a NT phenomena.

And I feel this exegesis of the passage is forced. There is no need for these categories. Either a visible church member truly possesses the mind of Christ, via the Holy Spirit, or he does not.

That is the warning and the teaching Paul presented.

By virtue of the fact that most, as you who demonstrate willful obstinacy who comprise the visible church, canNOT possess the Mind of God. Agape is nowhere to be found.

Cross Reference

Since God's grace is merited inasmuch as He resists the proud, this is a true statement of fact. . .and, I would to say the proud resists Him. That is scriptural.

Status
Not open for further replies.