God's commands in Jesus and the coming of the new covenant.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Here is a thread I started recently. God's commands in Jesus Christ.
In Jesus Christ we have commands from God. What are these commands?
In Jesus Christ we have commands from God. The commands of Jesus are the commands of God. Jesus taught only what God wanted Him to teach. He never said anything apart from what God wanted Him to say.

John the Baptist's words are here recorded in the gospel of John (not the same person). He said,

John 3:34 NASB - 34 "For He whom God has sent speaks the words of God; for He gives the Spirit without measure.

And then we do have that Jesus said of John the Baptist,

John 5:36 NASB - 36 "But the testimony which I have is greater than the testimony of John; for the works which the Father has given Me to accomplish--the very works that I do--testify about Me, that the Father has sent Me.

On New Testament Commands.
The commands of Jesus are the commands of God. Jesus said nothing apart from what God wanted Him to say.

But is the subject here New Testament commands, rather than the commands of Jesus?

Because the commands of Jesus are for or in the context of Israel or everyone, even in regard to the new covenant.

Some might think or say Jesus' commands were only for Israel, which can be considered, but isn't necessarily 100 percent true.
Jesus brought the new covenant, which was spoken of beforehand by the prophet Jeremiah. The New Testament begins with the Gospel accounts. If you are looking for what Jesus taught you should begin here, even in regard to wanting to learn about the teachings of Jesus in regard to the new covenant.

Jesus is and was a Jew.

Galatians 4:4-5 NASB - 4 But when the fullness of the time came, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the Law, 5 so that He might redeem those who were under the Law, that we might receive the adoption as sons.

In Jesus' word is the center of Christianity.

... I believe God's instruction begins with the Torah and continues with the rest of the ... TaNaKh (Torah - Law, Nevi'im - Prophets, Ketuvim - Writings).

The teachings of Jesus are found in the Bible, specifically in the New Testament beginning with the four Gospel accounts Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.
The prophet Jeremiah wrote,

Jeremiah 31:31 NASB - 31 "Behold, days are coming," declares the LORD, "when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah,

I'm not sure if the classification of the first four Gospels or the identification of the first four books of the New Testament came first. But if you want to learn about the new covenant from what Jesus said about it you should go first to these gospel accounts.

Luke 22:20 NASB - 20 And in the same way He took the cup after they had eaten, saying, "This cup which is poured out for you is the new covenant in My blood.

Other references to the new covenant came later.

We have these things and the teaching of Jesus in the Bible. God's commands in Jesus were for the nation of Israel.

Romans 3:19-20 NASB - 19 Now we know that whatever the Law says, it speaks to those who are under the Law, so that every mouth may be closed and all the world may become accountable to God; 20 because by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified in His sight; for through the Law comes the knowledge of sin.

See back to Jeremiah,

Jeremiah 31:31-34 NASB - 31 "Behold, days are coming," declares the LORD, "when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah, 32 not like the covenant which I made with their fathers in the day I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, although I was a husband to them," declares the LORD. 33 "But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days," declares the LORD, "I will put My law within them and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. 34 "They will not teach again, each man his neighbor and each man his brother, saying, 'Know the LORD,' for they will all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them," declares the LORD, "for I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more."

And then the Apostle Paul wrote the following (After Jews came to know Yeshua to be the Messiah (same words in regard to meaning, Jesus to be the Christ) Gentiles first came to faith by Peter, but Paul did go to the Gentiles and Gentiles did come to faith by him),

Ephesians 2:11-22 NASB - 11 Therefore remember that formerly you, the Gentiles in the flesh, who are called "Uncircumcision" by the so-called "Circumcision," which is performed in the flesh by human hands-- 12 remember that you were at that time separate from Christ, excluded from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers to the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world. 13 But now in Christ Jesus you who formerly were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ. 14 For He Himself is our peace, who made both groups into one and broke down the barrier of the dividing wall, 15 by abolishing in His flesh the enmity, which is the Law of commandments contained in ordinances, so that in Himself He might make the two into one new man, thus establishing peace, 16 and might reconcile them both in one body to God through the cross, by it having put to death the enmity. 17 AND HE CAME AND PREACHED PEACE TO YOU WHO WERE FAR AWAY, AND PEACE TO THOSE WHO WERE NEAR; 18 for through Him we both have our access in one Spirit to the Father. 19 So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints, and are of God's household, 20 having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus Himself being the corner stone, 21 in whom the whole building, being fitted together, is growing into a holy temple in the Lord, 22 in whom you also are being built together into a dwelling of God in the Spirit.

So we know that Jews and Gentiles alike have come to faith.

Romans 3:29 NASB - 29 Or is God the God of Jews only? Is He not the God of Gentiles also? Yes, of Gentiles also,

Romans 15:5-13 NASB - 5 Now may the God who gives perseverance and encouragement grant you to be of the same mind with one another according to Christ Jesus, 6 so that with one accord you may with one voice glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. 7 Therefore, accept one another, just as Christ also accepted us to the glory of God. 8 For I say that Christ has become a servant to the circumcision on behalf of the truth of God to confirm the promises given to the fathers, 9 and for the Gentiles to glorify God for His mercy; as it is written, "THEREFORE I WILL GIVE PRAISE TO YOU AMONG THE GENTILES, AND I WILL SING TO YOUR NAME." 10 Again he says, "REJOICE, O GENTILES, WITH HIS PEOPLE." 11 And again, "PRAISE THE LORD ALL YOU GENTILES, AND LET ALL THE PEOPLES PRAISE HIM." 12 Again Isaiah says, "THERE SHALL COME THE ROOT OF JESSE, AND HE WHO ARISES TO RULE OVER THE GENTILES, IN HIM SHALL THE GENTILES HOPE." 13 Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that you will abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

So then, in Jesus Christ we have the coming of the new covenant. In Him we also have God's commands. The commands of Jesus are the commands of God.

What is the relationship between the new covenant and the commands of Jesus which are the commands of God?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
The church of God is the house of God, it is not the house of Israel nor the house of Judah.

It is the house of God that is being judged at this time.

For the time has come for judgment to begin at the house of God; and if it begins with us first, what will be the end of those who do not obey the gospel of God? (1 Peter 4:17)​

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
The church of God is the house of God, it is not the house of Israel nor the house of Judah.

It is the house of God that is being judged at this time.

For the time has come for judgment to begin at the house of God; and if it begins with us first, what will be the end of those who do not obey the gospel of God? (1 Peter 4:17)​
The new covenant was to be with the house of Israel and the house of Judah.

Jeremiah 31:31-34 NASB - 31 "Behold, days are coming," declares the LORD, "when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah,

We are to give no offense to anyone.

1 Corinthians 10:32 NASB - 32 Give no offense either to Jews or to Greeks or to the church of God;

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER

Jeremiah 31:31-34 NASB - 31 "Behold, days are coming," declares the LORD, "when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah,

We are to give no offense to anyone.

1 Corinthians 10:32 NASB - 32 Give no offense either to Jews or to Greeks or to the church of God;

And....the house of Israel and the house of Judah have yet to be reunited in one stick- Ezek 37.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER

And it will be in the kingdom of God.

A covenant is an agreement whereas a testament is a will. They are not the same.
A covenant does not have heirs, it is binding on the parties of the covenant.
What we have is a will of which we are heirs.

For where there is a testament, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator. For a testament is in force after men are dead, since it has no power at all while the testator lives. (Hebrews 9:16-17)

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
And it will be in the kingdom of God.

A covenant is an agreement whereas a testament is a will. They are not the same.
A covenant does not have heirs, it is binding on the parties of the covenant.
What we have is a will of which we are heirs.

For where there is a testament, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator. For a testament is in force after men are dead, since it has no power at all while the testator lives. (Hebrews 9:16-17)
Jeremiah spoke of the new covenant and then Jesus spoke of the new covenant.

Jeremiah 31:

31 “Behold, days are coming,” declares the LORD, “when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah,

32 not like the covenant which I made with their fathers in the day I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, although I was a husband to them,” declares the LORD.

33 “But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days,” declares the LORD, “I will put My law within them and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.

34 “They will not teach again, each man his neighbor and each man his brother, saying, ‘Know the LORD,’ for they will all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them,” declares the LORD, “for I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more.”

Luke 22

20 And in the same way He took the cup after they had eaten, saying, “This cup which is poured out for you is the new covenant in My blood.

Last edited:

journey

Jesus Christ is God (God the Son), and He is One with God the Father and God the Holy Spirit.

Matthew 22:36-40 KJV Master, which is the great commandment in the law? 37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
The law of Liberty, the law of Christ, the perfect law is our rule of life today. There are hundreds of commands we need to accept and follow by faith in the Son of God

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
It has been fulfilled spiritually for all believers past present and future believers. In the material realm it is yet to be fulfilled, it will materialize with the second coming of Yeshua. Yeshua will not return until Israel and Judah ask Him to.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
It has been fulfilled spiritually for all believers past present and future believers. In the material realm it is yet to be fulfilled, it will materialize with the second coming of Yeshua. Yeshua will not return until Israel and Judah ask Him to.
When you say, it has been fulfilled spiritually for all believers past present and future believers, what are you saying has been fulfilled?

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Well I think it is the atonement because it was only after the resurrection that paradise was emptied and the OT believers brought into heaven (another temporal abode). Is that wrong?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Well I think it is the atonement because it was only after the resurrection that paradise was emptied and the OT believers brought into heaven (another temporal abode). Is that wrong?
I am not familiar with what you are talking about.

Interplanner

The law of Liberty, the law of Christ, the perfect law is our rule of life today. There are hundreds of commands we need to accept and follow by faith in the Son of God

Not in the same way or sense as the law, though. They are done freely and creatively. "About such things (the fruit of the Spirit) you don't make laws."

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
The Law was different yes. Because it made an increase of sins. But it is the same in this sense; The law of Christ is our rule of conduct in all affairs pertaining to man. The law of Moses was for the believer the rule of conduct for life BC.

The law of Christ is similar to Noah's law, Adam's law. Similar in that it was for us what their laws was for them BC. However, the law of Noah is still the rule of life for unbelievers. At the great white throne judgement Gentiles will be condemned based upon their failure to keep Noahic Law.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
The Law was different yes. Because it made an increase of sins. But it is the same in this sense; The law of Christ is our rule of conduct in all affairs pertaining to man. The law of Moses was for the believer the rule of conduct for life BC.

The law of Christ is similar to Noah's law, Adam's law. Similar in that it was for us what their laws was for them BC. However, the law of Noah is still the rule of life for unbelievers. At the great white throne judgement Gentiles will be condemned based upon their failure to keep Noahic Law.

That the Law made sin utterly sinful is different from an increase of sins.

Sin was made utterly sinful.

Romans 7:13 NASB - 13 Therefore did that which is good become a cause of death for me? May it never be! Rather it was sin, in order that it might be shown to be sin by effecting my death through that which is good, so that through the commandment sin would become utterly sinful.

With the Law the transgression increased; where sin increased grace abounded all the more.

Romans 5:20 NASB - 20 The Law came in so that the transgression would increase; but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more,

"through the law"

Romans 7:8, 11, 13 NASB - 8 But sin, taking opportunity through the commandment, produced in me coveting of every kind; for apart from the Law sin is dead. ... 11 for sin, taking an opportunity through the commandment, deceived me and through it killed me. ... 13 Therefore did that which is good become a cause of death for me? May it never be! Rather it was sin, in order that it might be shown to be sin by effecting my death through that which is good, so that through the commandment sin would become utterly sinful.

Noachic law or Noachide laws are for all mankind, while the Law of Moses is for the nation of Israel and the world.

Romans 3:19 NASB - 19 Now we know that whatever the Law says, it speaks to those who are under the Law, so that every mouth may be closed and all the world may become accountable to God;

Zeke

Here is a thread I started recently. God's commands in Jesus Christ.In Jesus Christ we have commands from God. The commands of Jesus are the commands of God. Jesus taught only what God wanted Him to teach. He never said anything apart from what God wanted Him to say.

John the Baptist's words are here recorded in the gospel of John (not the same person). He said,

John 3:34 NASB - 34 "For He whom God has sent speaks the words of God; for He gives the Spirit without measure.

And then we do have that Jesus said of John the Baptist,

John 5:36 NASB - 36 "But the testimony which I have is greater than the testimony of John; for the works which the Father has given Me to accomplish--the very works that I do--testify about Me, that the Father has sent Me.

On New Testament Commands.Jesus brought the new covenant, which was spoken of beforehand by the prophet Jeremiah. The New Testament begins with the Gospel accounts. If you are looking for what Jesus taught you should begin here, even in regard to wanting to learn about the teachings of Jesus in regard to the new covenant.

Jesus is and was a Jew.

Galatians 4:4-5 NASB - 4 But when the fullness of the time came, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the Law, 5 so that He might redeem those who were under the Law, that we might receive the adoption as sons.

In Jesus' word is the center of Christianity.The prophet Jeremiah wrote,

Jeremiah 31:31 NASB - 31 "Behold, days are coming," declares the LORD, "when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah,

I'm not sure if the classification of the first four Gospels or the identification of the first four books of the New Testament came first. But if you want to learn about the new covenant from what Jesus said about it you should go first to these gospel accounts.

Luke 22:20 NASB - 20 And in the same way He took the cup after they had eaten, saying, "This cup which is poured out for you is the new covenant in My blood.

Other references to the new covenant came later.

We have these things and the teaching of Jesus in the Bible. God's commands in Jesus were for the nation of Israel.

Romans 3:19-20 NASB - 19 Now we know that whatever the Law says, it speaks to those who are under the Law, so that every mouth may be closed and all the world may become accountable to God; 20 because by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified in His sight; for through the Law comes the knowledge of sin.

See back to Jeremiah,

Jeremiah 31:31-34 NASB - 31 "Behold, days are coming," declares the LORD, "when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah, 32 not like the covenant which I made with their fathers in the day I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, although I was a husband to them," declares the LORD. 33 "But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days," declares the LORD, "I will put My law within them and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. 34 "They will not teach again, each man his neighbor and each man his brother, saying, 'Know the LORD,' for they will all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them," declares the LORD, "for I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more."

And then the Apostle Paul wrote the following (After Jews came to know Yeshua to be the Messiah (same words in regard to meaning, Jesus to be the Christ) Gentiles first came to faith by Peter, but Paul did go to the Gentiles and Gentiles did come to faith by him),

Ephesians 2:11-22 NASB - 11 Therefore remember that formerly you, the Gentiles in the flesh, who are called "Uncircumcision" by the so-called "Circumcision," which is performed in the flesh by human hands-- 12 remember that you were at that time separate from Christ, excluded from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers to the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world. 13 But now in Christ Jesus you who formerly were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ. 14 For He Himself is our peace, who made both groups into one and broke down the barrier of the dividing wall, 15 by abolishing in His flesh the enmity, which is the Law of commandments contained in ordinances, so that in Himself He might make the two into one new man, thus establishing peace, 16 and might reconcile them both in one body to God through the cross, by it having put to death the enmity. 17 AND HE CAME AND PREACHED PEACE TO YOU WHO WERE FAR AWAY, AND PEACE TO THOSE WHO WERE NEAR; 18 for through Him we both have our access in one Spirit to the Father. 19 So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints, and are of God's household, 20 having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus Himself being the corner stone, 21 in whom the whole building, being fitted together, is growing into a holy temple in the Lord, 22 in whom you also are being built together into a dwelling of God in the Spirit.

So we know that Jews and Gentiles alike have come to faith.

Romans 3:29 NASB - 29 Or is God the God of Jews only? Is He not the God of Gentiles also? Yes, of Gentiles also,

Romans 15:5-13 NASB - 5 Now may the God who gives perseverance and encouragement grant you to be of the same mind with one another according to Christ Jesus, 6 so that with one accord you may with one voice glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. 7 Therefore, accept one another, just as Christ also accepted us to the glory of God. 8 For I say that Christ has become a servant to the circumcision on behalf of the truth of God to confirm the promises given to the fathers, 9 and for the Gentiles to glorify God for His mercy; as it is written, "THEREFORE I WILL GIVE PRAISE TO YOU AMONG THE GENTILES, AND I WILL SING TO YOUR NAME." 10 Again he says, "REJOICE, O GENTILES, WITH HIS PEOPLE." 11 And again, "PRAISE THE LORD ALL YOU GENTILES, AND LET ALL THE PEOPLES PRAISE HIM." 12 Again Isaiah says, "THERE SHALL COME THE ROOT OF JESSE, AND HE WHO ARISES TO RULE OVER THE GENTILES, IN HIM SHALL THE GENTILES HOPE." 13 Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that you will abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

So then, in Jesus Christ we have the coming of the new covenant. In Him we also have God's commands. The commands of Jesus are the commands of God.

What is the relationship between the new covenant and the commands of Jesus which are the commands of God?

Matt 11:11 puts a proper line between John the earthly man and Jesus the Spirit within man Galatians 1:12, 1Cor 15:45, Galatians 4:23-28. two births one natural the other spiritual, trying to put historic skin on the Spirit is a rabbit hole with no bottom.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
The law of Moses was only for Israel.

I see that in one sense but still believe that even if that is true, and the Law of Moses and the Ten Commandments are God's Law, we still have that by it all the world is made or held accountable to God.

God has given Israel His Torah.

Those in Israel were all to live by one Law. And those who were of Israel outside the land could would or should live by that same law. Then what of those who wanted to become of Israel or worship the God of Israel?

Isaiah 56:1-8 NASB - 1 Thus says the LORD,"Preserve justice and do righteousness,For My salvation is about to comeAnd My righteousness to be revealed. 2 "How blessed is the man who does this,And the son of man who takes hold of it;Who keeps from profaning the sabbath,And keeps his hand from doing any evil." 3 Let not the foreigner who has joined himself to the LORD say,"The LORD will surely separate me from His people."Nor let the eunuch say, "Behold, I am a dry tree." 4 For thus says the LORD,"To the eunuchs who keep My sabbaths,And choose what pleases Me,And hold fast My covenant, 5 To them I will give in My house and within My walls a memorial,And a name better than that of sons and daughters;I will give them an everlasting name which will not be cut off. 6 "Also the foreigners who join themselves to the LORD,To minister to Him, and to love the name of the LORD,To be His servants, every one who keeps from profaning the sabbathAnd holds fast My covenant; 7 Even those I will bring to My holy mountainAnd make them joyful in My house of prayer.Their burnt offerings and their sacrifices will be acceptable on My altar;For My house will be called a house of prayer for all the peoples." 8 The Lord GOD, who gathers the dispersed of Israel, declares,"Yet others I will gather to them, to those already gathered."

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Matt 11:11 puts a proper line between John the earthly man and Jesus the Spirit within man Galatians 1:12, 1Cor 15:45, Galatians 4:23-28. two births one natural the other spiritual, trying to put historic skin on the Spirit is a rabbit hole with no bottom.

I see you referring to Adam, Abraham, Sarah and Isaac, Hagar and Ishmael, (Isaac the son of Abraham and Sarah was born after Ishmael of Abraham and Hagar), and Jesus. My understanding is that Jesus is not a Spirit.