ECT Gifts of the Spirit

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What were they for, why did the stop? Why do you think they haven't stopped.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Acts 2

5 And there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men, from every nation under heaven.
6 And when this sound occurred, the multitude came together, and were confused, because everyone heard them speak in his own language.
7 Then they were all amazed and marveled, saying to one another, “Look, are not all these who speak Galileans?
8 And how is it that we hear, each in our own language in which we were born?
9 Parthians and Medes and Elamites, those dwelling in Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia,
10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya adjoining Cyrene, visitors from Rome, both Jews and proselytes,
11 Cretans and Arabs—we hear them speaking in our own tongues the wonderful works of God.”
12 So they were all amazed and perplexed, saying to one another, “Whatever could this mean?”
13 Others mocking said, “They are full of new wine.”

The tongues were for preaching as a sign to unbelievers in Israel, and as taste of things to come. If you were not one of them, it was as if they were babbling. No different than the circumcised church at Corinth who were not strangers to the covenants of promise.

The tongues meant nothing to those that didn't understand in their own language with out interpreation. Such as if you showed up, and nobody had been baptized that spoke canuck, you wouldn't have any idea what he was preaching.

1 Corinthians 14

6 But now, brethren, if I come to you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you unless I speak to you either by revelation, by knowledge, by prophesying, or by teaching
?

You would be full of wine.

8 For if the trumpet makes an uncertain sound, who will prepare for battle? 9 So likewise you, unless you utter by the tongue words easy to understand, how will it be known what is spoken? For you will be speaking into the air.

13 Therefore let him who speaks in a tongue pray that he may interpret. 14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful
1 Corinthians 13
8 Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part. 10 But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away

Paul summarizes all of this, in case somebody gets the wrong idea.

1 Corinthians 14:22

Therefore tongues are for a sign, not to those who believe but to unbelievers; but prophesying is not for unbelievers but for those who believe.

Ryan Collins

Acts 2

5 And there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men, from every nation under heaven.
6 And when this sound occurred, the multitude came together, and were confused, because everyone heard them speak in his own language.
7 Then they were all amazed and marveled, saying to one another, “Look, are not all these who speak Galileans?
8 And how is it that we hear, each in our own language in which we were born?
9 Parthians and Medes and Elamites, those dwelling in Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia,
10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya adjoining Cyrene, visitors from Rome, both Jews and proselytes,
11 Cretans and Arabs—we hear them speaking in our own tongues the wonderful works of God.”
12 So they were all amazed and perplexed, saying to one another, “Whatever could this mean?”
13 Others mocking said, “They are full of new wine.”

The tongues were for preaching as a sign to unbelievers in Israel, and as taste of things to come. If you were not one of them, it was as if they were babbling. No different than the circumcised church at Corinth who were not strangers to the covenants of promise.

The tongues meant nothing to those that didn't understand in their own language with out interpreation. Such as if you showed up, and nobody had been baptized that spoke canuck, you wouldn't have any idea what he was preaching.

1 Corinthians 14

6 But now, brethren, if I come to you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you unless I speak to you either by revelation, by knowledge, by prophesying, or by teaching
?

You would be full of wine.

8 For if the trumpet makes an uncertain sound, who will prepare for battle? 9 So likewise you, unless you utter by the tongue words easy to understand, how will it be known what is spoken? For you will be speaking into the air.

13 Therefore let him who speaks in a tongue pray that he may interpret. 14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful
1 Corinthians 13
8 Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part. 10 But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away

Paul summarizes all of this, in case somebody gets the wrong idea.

1 Corinthians 14:22

Therefore tongues are for a sign, not to those who believe but to unbelievers; but prophesying is not for unbelievers but for those who believe.
This is all common knowledge and once again you have failed to simply answer my question. So I will re-ask my question: When did the gifts of the Spirit cease?

Seydlitz77

What were they for, why did the stop? Why do you think they haven't stopped.

If you truly believe there are no more gifts of the spirit then you live in a sad state indeed and you know no one who exercises faith in God.

If we read over 1 Corinthians 12:4-11 KJV we see that even faith, wisdom, and knowledge are gifts of the Spirit. They may not be as miraculous as some other gifts but they are gifts nonetheless, and who is to say that prophecy or discernment are no longer granted to His followers?

If you truly believe that God has said these gifts are no longer active among us today then you will have to provide the scripture where He tells us so.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
This is all common knowledge

Apparently not, as you ask a retarded question. Why were there gifts, and then you will know why they ceased.

And I have a specific event, I will pass after you get past the point of what they are for. Because then the question will be answered.

Seydlitz77

Nick did give an answer in 1 Corinthians 13:8.

Yes I saw that (I was busy writing my post when all that came up).

The qualifier for that verse is 1 Corinthians 13:10 KJV, we need gifts of the Spirit because we are not yet perfect. Unless Nick can prove that our perfection has come this is not a case for gifts having ceased in our day.

Ryan Collins

Apparently not, as you ask a retarded question. Why were there gifts, and then you will know why they ceased.

And I have a specific event, I will pass after you get past the point of what they are for. Because then the question will be answered.
Wow...a beautiful side-step, Nick! You sure have perfected this, haven't you?!? :chuckle: Just answer the question and we can converse.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If we read over 1 Corinthians 12:4-11 KJV we see that even faith, wisdom, and knowledge are gifts of the Spirit. They may not be as miraculous as some other gifts but they are gifts nonetheless, and who is to say that prophecy or discernment are no longer granted to His followers?

They save people, and are far more miraculous than something that affects the flesh that carnal people need to see. The discussion is about the powers that Christ, Peter, and the others wielded in early Acts. If I bring a Inland Taipan, you will let it bite you. Then I will give you something to drink, and you will drink it as the Bible says.

Yes or no, right now.

Since we know the answer is no, repent of your disbelief.

Ryan Collins

You don't get answer a question with a question. What are they for, and who are they for?
It's already been established that the sign of tongues was for unbelievers (1 Corinthians 14:22). Like I said, this is common knowledge...now when did the gifts of the Spirit cease? Stop sidestepping and start conversing...

graceandpeace

This is all common knowledge and once again you have failed to simply answer my question. So I will re-ask my question: When did the gifts of the Spirit cease?

I think Nick believes the gifts of the spirit is only tongues? LOL..or maybe he doesnt yet understand that they are yet ongoing for those whom are in unbelief, (tongues).

The body of Christ needs the gifts to help aid those YET coming into the fold...perhaps, Nick doesnt want anyone else to come into the fold, he has already removed all the OT saints, and Peter...among many others...in the same way, they remove water baptism, that is to aid an unbeliever to learn of what it is to be raised in Christ; and in the same way they remove communion, that is a beautiful picture of the body and blood of Christ that they themselves do not even consider as here, by the new blood covenant.

Most of the gifts edify the whole body..as written.

Last edited: