Gentile converts had the same law.

CherubRam

The Gentile converts had the same law.

Exodus 12:49
The same law applies both to the native-born and to the foreigner residing among you.”

Leviticus 7:7
“‘The same law applies to both the sin offering and the guilt offering: They belong to the priest who makes atonement with them.

Leviticus 24:22
You are to have the same law for the foreigner and the native-born. I am the Lord your God.’”

Numbers 15:16
The same laws and regulations will apply both to you and to the foreigner residing among you.’”

Numbers 15:29
One and the same law applies to everyone who sins unintentionally, whether a native-born Israelite or a foreigner residing among you.

Ephesians 2:15
This verse is not correctly translated. See commentary below.
by setting aside in his flesh the law with its commands and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new humanity out of the two, thus making peace,

1 Timothy 1:7
They want to be teachers of the law, but they do not know what they are talking about or what they so confidently affirm.

1 Timothy 1:8
We know that the law is good if one uses it properly.

Hebrews 7:12
For when the priesthood is changed, the law must be changed also.

Hebrews 10:1
The law is a shadow of better things to come.

James 1:25
But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.

2 Peter 3:17
Therefore, dear friends, since you have been forewarned, be on your guard so that you may not be carried away by the error of the lawless and fall from your secure position.

1 John 3:4
Everyone who sins breaks the law; in fact, sin is lawlessness.

CherubRam

The barrier to winning converts to Judaism had been the Commandments of Moses, they govern the feasts and sacrifices. Moses Commandments were the middle wall partition.

Here is my translation of Ephesians 2:14-19. 14
For he is our peace, who has made us one, and has broken down the middle wall partition, 15. By abolishing with his flesh the hostility of the commandment laws of ordinances; for to create in himself and us, one new man, making peace; 16. thereby reconciling us to God in one body through the stake, having slain the hostility. 17. He came to those near and far preaching peace. 18. For through him we both have access to one Spirit, the Father. 19. Therefore you are not alienated foreigners, but citizens with the holy household of God.

Enmity means "hostility."

Romans 8:7
Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;

Ephesians 2:16
And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the stake, having slain the enmity thereby:

James 4:4
Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

Hostility towards the laws of God is what has been abolished.

Christians often refer to Ephesians 2:15 in the N.I.V. as proof that the commandments have been done away with.

Ephesians 2:15 N.I.V.: by abolishing in his flesh the law with its commandments and regulations.

Ephesians 2:15 King James. Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances;.
Note:The word [enmity] in the K.J. means hostility.

(Ephesians 2:15 (a modern translation.) by abolishing in his flesh the hostility of the law with its commandments and regulations.

Jesus said in Matthew 5:17: Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets...

The Sabbath feasts and sacrifices were not given as Commandments of God, but God commanded (ordered) Moses to speak to the Israelites about them. That is why God, in Isaiah 1:11-14 it says, "Who has asked this of you," The Sabbath feasts and sacrifices were given as part of the covenant, for which the Israelites continually broke.
As a result of that, God says in Zephaniah 3:18, "the sorrows for the appointed feast I will remove from you; they are a burden and a reproach to you."
The Sabbath feasts and sacrifices were given as a command of Moses. I am able to say with certainty that there is to be no more animal sacrifices for sins.

According to 2 Chronicles 8:12-13; 12 On the altar of the LORD that he had built in front of the portico, Solomon sacrificed burnt offerings to the LORD, 13 according to the daily requirement for offerings commanded by Moses for Sabbaths, New Moons and the three annual feasts—the Feast of Unleavened Bread, the Feast of Weeks and the Feast of Tabernacles.

Hebrews 7:27
Unlike the other high priests, he does not need to offer sacrifices day after day, first for his own sins, and then for the sins of the people. He sacrificed for their sins once for all when he offered himself.

CherubRam

Joshua copied the laws of Moses onto stone also.

Joshua 8:32
There, in the presence of the Israelites, Joshua copied on stones the laws of Moses, which he had written.

2 Corinthians 3:7
Now if the ministry that brought death, which was engraved in letters on stone, came with glory, so that the Israelites could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of its glory, fading though it was,…

In regards to "Ministry of The Spirit." What that means is that you keep God's commandments, not because they are written in stone and are law, but because they are written in your heart; and you keep them for the love of God and your fellow man, because it is the right thing to do. "The ministry that brought death" is the Mosaic laws of the priesthood, not God's commandments.

2 Corinthians 3:3
You show that you are a letter from Christ, the result of our ministry, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts.

2 Corinthians 3:8
will not the ministry of the Spirit be even more glorious?

Deuteronomy 31:26
Take this book of the law, and put it in the side of the ark of the covenant of the LORD your God, that it may be there for a witness against thee.

Note: The commandments were written in stone. There are two sets of laws, God's commandment laws, and the priestly Levitical law. The Levitical laws brought death to those who would not keep the laws.

Romans 10:4
Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
4 For Christ is the end[a] of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.

Footnotes: a. Romans 10:4 Or goal

Matthew 5:17
“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

The commandments and good works have not been done away with. All Paul is getting at is that you cannot buy your way into heaven just by keeping the commandments and good works. Evil people can keep the law and do good works. Such people have even been known to hide among us.

Matthew 5:18
For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Ephesians 2:10
For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

Ephesians 4:12
to equip his people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up

Romans 3:31
Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

Romans 6:15
What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.

Romans 7:7
What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.

Matthew 5:19
Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of the commandments and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches the commandments will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

CherubRam

The Gentiles whom did not have the written laws, but were keeping them, because they were written upon their hearts.

Romans 2:14
For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER

But some of the sect of the Pharisees who believed rose up saying, “It is necessary to circumcise them and to command them to keep the law of Moses.” (Acts 15:5 NKJV)

Since we have heard that some who went out from us have troubled you with words, unsettling your souls saying, “You must be circumcised and keep the law” —to whom we gave no such commandment... (Acts 15:24 NKJV)​

CherubRam

But some of the sect of the Pharisees who believed rose up saying, “It is necessary to circumcise them and to command them to keep the law of Moses.” (Acts 15:5 NKJV)

Since we have heard that some who went out from us have troubled you with words, unsettling your souls saying, “You must be circumcised and keep the law” —to whom we gave no such commandment... (Acts 15:24 NKJV)​

Covenant and non-covenant circumcision. Non-Covenant circumcision is practiced by many Christians these days, but it does not mean they are under the old covenant. Covenant circumcision was to be continual until the New Covenant was established. Forever is forever, unless there should come a change. Circumcision, Festivals, sacrifices, and the old priesthood is what was done away with. The Sabbath and moral commands of God remain as part of the New Covenant.

Genesis 17:13
Whether born in your household or bought with your money, they must be circumcised. My covenant in your flesh is to be an (everlasting / continual) covenant.

Jeremiah 31:31-32
“The days are coming,” declares the Lord, “when I will make a new covenant with the people of Israel and with the people of Judah.
It will not be like the covenant
I made with their ancestors

when I took them by the hand
to lead them out of Egypt,
because they broke my covenant,
though I was a husband to them,”
declares the Lord.

1 Corinthians 7:19
Circumcision is nothing and uncircumcision is nothing. Keeping God’s commands is what counts.

Ben Masada

The Gentiles whom did not have the written laws, but were keeping them, because they were written upon their hearts.

Romans 2:14
For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:

So, what is the difference between obeying the Law when it is written upon our hearts and the Law when it is written upon two tablets of stones as long as the Law is obeyed? The point is obedience to the Law period and not HOW it is obeyed.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
So, what is the difference between obeying the Law when it is written upon our hearts and the Law when it is written upon two tablets of stones as long as the Law is obeyed? The point is obedience to the Law period and not HOW it is obeyed.

Galatians 3:16 KJV - Galatians 3:17 KJV - Galatians 3:18 KJV -

Galatians 3:19 KJV - Galatians 3:20-21 KJV - Galatians 3:22 KJV -

Galatians 3:23 KJV - Galatians 3:24-25 KJV - Galatians 3:26 KJV -

Galatians 4:9-11 But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage? Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years. I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed upon you labour in vain.

Colossians 2:16-17 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

Galatians 2:4-5 And that because of false brethren unawares brought in, who came in privily to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, that they might bring us into bondage: To whom we gave place by subjection, no, not for an hour; that the truth of the gospel might continue with you.

Galatians 5:1-6 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing. For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law. Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace. For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith. For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.

Colossians 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross.

Galatians 2:21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

Colossians 2:20-22 Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances, (Touch not; taste not; handle not; Which all are to perish with the using) after the commandments and doctrines of men?

Romans 3:20-24 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin. But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference: for all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus.

Romans 7:4-6 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God. For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death. But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.

Galatians 5:16-23 This I say then, walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would. But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law. Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

Robert Pate

Banned
Galatians 4:9-11 But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage? Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years. I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed upon you labour in vain.

Colossians 2:16-17 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

Galatians 2:4-5 And that because of false brethren unawares brought in, who came in privily to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, that they might bring us into bondage: To whom we gave place by subjection, no, not for an hour; that the truth of the gospel might continue with you.

Galatians 5:1-6 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing. For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law. Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace. For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith. For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.

Colossians 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross.

Galatians 2:21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

Colossians 2:20-22 Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances, (Touch not; taste not; handle not; Which all are to perish with the using) after the commandments and doctrines of men?

Romans 3:20-24 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin. But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference: for all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus.

Romans 7:4-6 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God. For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death. But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.

Galatians 5:16-23 This I say then, walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would. But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law. Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

Good post.

To be under the law is to be judged by the law.

The law is the very nature and the character of God. I can't imagine anyone wanting to be judged according to God's standards.

Maybe this is why Paul said to the Galatians... "Do you not hear the law"?

Ben Masada

Galatians 3:16 KJV - Galatians 3:17 KJV - Galatians 3:18 KJV -

Galatians 3:19 KJV - Galatians 3:20-21 KJV - Galatians 3:22 KJV -

Galatians 3:23 KJV - Galatians 3:24-25 KJV Gal. 3:26 KJV -

None of the quotes above answers my question. I repeat: What's the difference between the Law written in the heart and the Law written in stones, as long as the Law is obeyed? The point is not how the Law is obeyed but that it is obeyed. To tell you the truth, based on this concept, there is no difference between a Jew and a Christian as the Law is concerned as we all obey it.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned

Exodus 12:49
The same law applies both to the native-born and to the foreigner residing among you.”

Leviticus 7:7
“‘The same law applies to both the sin offering and the guilt offering: They belong to the priest who makes atonement with them.

Leviticus 24:22
You are to have the same law for the foreigner and the native-born. I am the Lord your God.’”

Numbers 15:16
The same laws and regulations will apply both to you and to the foreigner residing among you.’”

Numbers 15:29
One and the same law applies to everyone who sins unintentionally, whether a native-born Israelite or a foreigner residing among you.

This verse is not correctly translated. See commentary below.
by setting aside in his flesh the law with its commands and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new humanity out of the two, thus making peace,

1 Timothy 1:7
They want to be teachers of the law, but they do not know what they are talking about or what they so confidently affirm.

1 Timothy 1:8
We know that the law is good if one uses it properly.

Hebrews 7:12
For when the priesthood is changed, the law must be changed also.

Hebrews 10:1
The law is a shadow of better things to come.

James 1:25
But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.

2 Peter 3:17
Therefore, dear friends, since you have been forewarned, be on your guard so that you may not be carried away by the error of the lawless and fall from your secure position.

1 John 3:4
Everyone who sins breaks the law; in fact, sin is lawlessness.
These important verses highlight the Jewish tradition that extends God's love and mercy to all.

This tradition piggy-backs on the theology of Paul. His outreach to "the nations" was still a pretty revolutionary idea.

There are many other different traditions, interwoven throughout the Bible: blood sacrifice vs. repentance, the empty tomb tradition (which Paul does not seem aware of--he merely says Jesus was "buried") and one other that is paramount to me: Paul does not mention any virgin birth tradition as do Luke and Matthew. He states only that Jesus was "born of a woman."

Matthew, Luke and Paul wrote their accounts after Jesus had already died. In sequence, Paul wrote in the 50s, Matthew wrote around the 70s or 80s, as did Luke.

Ben Masada

Good post.

The law is the very nature and the character of God. I can't imagine anyone wanting to be judged according to God's standards.

Sorry Robert, but you are totally wrong. To be under the Law is to obey the Law aka to be a Law abide citizen of the kingdom of God.

Every one is judged either according to God's Law or the law of the land, whether one claims to be under the law or not.

Good post.

Thank you, Robert, and so obviously true the law saves nobody. There are many cults out there pushing legal bondage, which actually involves doctrines of demons, in denial of clear teachings of holy scripture, the goal, as always, to try and inject doubt of the word of God and His salvation by grace. This is pandemic in our times, but thanks be to God they never seem to get any converts. Those verses speak for themselves, like so much scripture, the bottom line matter that people either accept or reject clear truths, are of the true faith of God, Jesus Christ, or not.

CherubRam

The difference is between doing what you have to, and doing what you want to. The written laws did not make better persons, but better persons would want to keep the laws.

CherubRam

These important verses highlight the Jewish tradition that extends God's love and mercy to all.

This tradition piggy-backs on the theology of Paul. His outreach to "the nations" was still a pretty revolutionary idea.

There are many other different traditions, interwoven throughout the Bible: blood sacrifice vs. repentance, the empty tomb tradition (which Paul does not seem aware of--he merely says Jesus was "buried") and one other that is paramount to me: Paul does not mention any virgin birth tradition as do Luke and Matthew. He states only that Jesus was "born of a woman."

Matthew, Luke and Paul wrote their accounts after Jesus had already died. In sequence, Paul wrote in the 50s, Matthew wrote around the 70s or 80s, as did Luke.

Actually, the word "virgin" is not scriptural, but was added. Although Mary was a virgin, the scriptures really use the word "maiden," which means; young woman. Mary was about perhaps 14 years old when she gave birth to Yahshua.

Actually, the word "virgin" is not scriptural, but was added. Although Mary was a virgin, the scriptures really use the word "maiden," which means; young woman. Mary was about perhaps 14 years old when she gave birth to Yahshua.

Not so. First, the Hebrew:

`almah (al-maw'); Noun Feminine, Strong #: 5959

1. virgin, young woman of marriageable age
2. maid or newly married ++++ There is no instance where it can be proved that this word designates a young woman who is not a virgin. (Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament)

You have no call to say virgin is not scriptural, more certainly nothing was added.

Isaiah 7:14 Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, a virgin will be with child and bear a son, and she will call His name Immanuel.

Secondly, taken as just "young woman" is stupid. It is not a sign for a young woman to give birth, something that only happens probably every so many seconds in the world, all the time. But it is a sign for a virgin to give birth. Try context some time: you may find it enlightening.

2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Mary was Jesus' mother and the Holy Spirit was Jesus' father.

Now the birth of Jesus Christ was as follows: After His mother Mary was betrothed to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Spirit. (Matthew 1:18 NKJV)

But while he thought about these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, "Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take to you Mary your wife, for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit." (Matthew 1:20 NKJV)​

CherubRam

Not so. First, the Hebrew:

`almah (al-maw'); Noun Feminine, Strong #: 5959

1. virgin, young woman of marriageable age
2. maid or newly married ++++ There is no instance where it can be proved that this word designates a young woman who is not a virgin. (Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament)

You have no call to say virgin is not scriptural, more certainly nothing was added.

Isaiah 7:14 Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, a virgin will be with child and bear a son, and she will call His name Immanuel.

Secondly, taken as just "young woman" is stupid. It is not a sign for a young woman to give birth, something that only happens probably every so many seconds in the world, all the time. But it is a sign for a virgin to give birth. Try context some time: you may find it enlightening.

2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
The Hebrew word Almah does not mean virgin.
Almah (עלמה, plural: alamot עלמות) is a Hebrew word meaning a young woman of childbearing age who has not yet had a child, and who may be (but does not have to be) an unmarried virgin or a married young woman. It does not, in and of itself, indicate whether that woman is a virgin or not.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Virgin?

Then Mary said to the angel, "How can this be, since I do not know a man?” (Luke 1:34 NKJV)​