Gene Cook talks with TOL's Knight.

SOTK

I listened to the entire show. I like this guy's style! :up:

Knight, your voice is not quite what I expected. :)

I thought you got your hat handed to you regarding what Cook had to say about the death (God's plan) of Jesus. Cook debated that point well and got you stuttering.

Regarding Jonah, I thought you debated better than Cook. You definitely caught him off guard. Although I don't agree with your position, you asked good questions and debated well during this part.

The whole show was interesting and cool to listen to. Wow, regarding the caller, Mark, Cook had some great points during that debate! The quote I liked was "(the OV) God values the freedom to murder somebody over His own Character, Glory, Will." And "(the OV) God doesn't have the strength or power to stop the abortionist".

All in all it was an interesting and cool show! :up:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
SOTK said:
I listened to the entire show. I like this guy's style! :up:

Knight, your voice is not quite what I expected. :)

I thought you got your hat handed to you regarding what Cook had to say about the death (God's plan) of Jesus. Cook debated that point well and got you stuttering.

Regarding Jonah, I thought you debated better than Cook. You definitely caught him off guard. Although I don't agree with your position, you asked good questions and debated well during this part.

The whole show was interesting and cool to listen to. Wow, regarding the caller, Mark, Cook had some great points during that debate! The quote I liked was "(the OV) God values the freedom to murder somebody over His own Character, Glory, Will." And "(the OV) God doesn't have the strength or power to stop the abortionist".

All in all it was an interesting and cool show! :up:
Thanks SOTK, I agree with your assessment. I like Pastor Cooks style as well, he has a good sense of humor.

I normally don't call into radio shows so I admit I was a bit nervous and certainly unprepared, but I think it went pretty well even in my unpreparedness. :)

PKevman

Knight I listened to the whole show and it was great to hear you take Pastor Cook to the woodshed for a little SPANKIN'! I mean he was accusing open theists of adding to the Scriptures and not responding to the Scriptures and then when he got pressed and couldn't handle it he just hung up on you. Your remark near the end that "You can read anything into the text that you want to" was absolutely CLASSIC! Well done! And for them to say that it brings glory to God for abortionists to kill babies, just tragic.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Turbo said:
Clete will love everything about this! :rotfl:
We had a power outage last night and when things came back on, the power surge blew out my speakers! I've ordered some new ones but now I have to wait! I hate waiting! :madmad:

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Clete said:
We had a power outage last night and when things came back on, the power surge blew out my speakers! I've ordered some new ones but now I have to wait!
The irony! :chuckle:
I hate waiting! :madmad:
I'm afraid you're just going to have to wait.

ApologeticJedi

Knight .... excellent call. Excellent point about Jonah and Nineveh's uncertainty. I like David's example of his son dying, and he held out hope that God might change His mind. Calvinists struggle deeply over that passage. Most resort to saying that David's didn't know God that well. (And where can you go from there?)

I wish I could have given you my questions to Gene Cook. Like for instance Cook says God "ordains" things, and I agree that God ordains certain things (he doesn't ordain everything as Cook misreads Eph 1:11 to believe). However he defines ordains as "planning", which is an intermediary state. How can God then "plan" anything if he can't write a new song, and couldn't throughout eternity? If God is unable to think up something that hadn't already been programmed into Him, God can't "ordain" anything ... it would be more correct to say Fate ordained it for both God and man. To credit it to God under Cook's world view is self-contradictory.

Also Cook argues that Open Theists don't like scriptures like Ephesians 1:11, yet has not every Open Theist dealt with that passage? Don't we all agree that whatever God does, He does according to the counsel of His own will, just like one might "learn all things with patience" or "eat all things according to their diet" or "see all things through their eyes". That phrase doesn't mean that we see EVERYTHING, it means that everything we do see, we see with our eyes. This is the passage he thinks open theists run from?

Incidently, the part that got me rolling on the floor was after he disconnected with you.

"At best you have an argument from silence [okay, we have an argument from silence?] My position is that there was more to what Jonah told them than is what is recorded for us in scripture."

There was a lot I didn't hear after that because I couldn't stop laughing at the obliviousness to the contradiction he just made.

"You have an argument from silence. My position is that there is more ... than is what is recorded for us...." :rotfl:

That was classic Calvinism.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
ApologeticJedi said:
Incidently, the part that got me rolling on the floor was after he disconnected with you.

"At best you have an argument from silence [okay, we have an argument from silence?] My position is that there was more to what Jonah told them than is what is recorded for us in scripture."

There was a lot I didn't hear after that because I couldn't stop laughing at the obliviousness to the contradiction he just made.

"You have an argument from silence. My position is that there is more ... than is what is recorded for us...." :rotfl:

That was classic Calvinism.
That part was wild wasn't it?

I should have called him on that better while I was still on the phone with him but hey, you don't always think the of the right things to say until after its already over.

Last edited:

ApologeticJedi

Knight said:
That part was wild wasn't it?

I should have called him on that better while I was still on with him but hey, you don't always think the right tings to say until after its already over.

Absolutely .. you probably did better than I could have.

Technically, my view, and typically the Open View is that almost all prophecy is "a priori" contingent upon repentance or not, whether Jonah mentions that or not. To argue that he must have mentioned it or that he never mentioned it is to argue from silence.

Also, I still wonder how God ordains anything if he can't even write a new song. Maybe a Calvinist would care to step up to the plate on this one?

docrob57

Listening to the debate, it becomes even more painfully clear than ever that the open theist god is a god of their own creation. They invoke the names of "God" and of "Jesus," but so do Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons and numerous other cultists. The open theists do not worship the true God, and unless they are regenerated they will tragically realize the fate of all idolaters.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
docrob57 said:
Listening to the debate, it becomes even more painfully clear than ever that the open theist god is a god of their own creation. They invoke the names of "God" and of "Jesus," but so do Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons and numerous other cultists. The open theists do not worship the true God, and unless they are regenerated they will tragically realize the fate of all idolaters.
Yeah, yeah whatever you say chicken little.

Why don't you go run-away like you always do..... coward.

I think we are all a bit tired of you and Rolands "post and run" style. :chicken:

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
docrob57 said:

:plain:

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
what doctrine does a person need to believe to be saved?
Hey doc. I started a new thread.
docrob57 said:

Lon

Needs to be about 30-40 seconds shorter. It kinda loses 'slam' after the first 20 or 30.

fool

Hall of Fame
Turbo said:
So if I put together a cut and paste montage of me and Knight and Bob I could get it posted? (after being screened for tastfulness)