Gay Catholics Push for Church Weddings

GFR7

1367romegaymarr_00000000828.jpg

Gay Catholics Push for Church Weddings

“We can’t be fully equal if we are barred from any of our Church’s sacraments,” said Duddy-Burke. “Right now, we are officially banned from marriage and ordination, and often denied other sacraments, as well."

When the Supreme Court ruling came down in late June, extending the right to marriage to members of the same sex in all 50 states, some observers felt that the Catholic Church was fairly immune to any requirements that it would have to allow same-sex weddings before her altars.

Now, though, calls for the Church to allow such nuptials are bubbling up. How far they will get is another question.

The issue was raised Tuesday by a report in the New York Times that featured “gay and transgender Catholics” who are making noises with the approaching visit to these shores of Pope Francis. And the noises are not exactly joyful.

http://www.aleteia.org/en/religion/article/gay-catholics-push-for-church-weddings-5245605915918336

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So ... IF the church doesn't wish to marry them, go elsewhere. The end.

GFR7

So ... IF the church doesn't wish to marry them, go elsewhere. The end.
Uh huh. Yep :D Gays will give up this fight, just as they gave up the fight to get in the Boy Scouts, to have same sex marriage legal in 50 states, etc............. :wave2:

Quetzal

Uh huh. Yep :D Gays will give up this fight, just as they gave up the fight to get in the Boy Scouts, to have same sex marriage legal in 50 states, etc............. :wave2:
Your obsession with attempting to ostracize homosexuals is losing its novelty.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Uh huh. Yep :D Gays will give up this fight,

There is no longer a *fight*. Gay marriage, as you know, is a done deal. IF a pastor does not wish to marry them, they are free to go elsewhere. And be married.

GFR7

There is no longer a *fight*. Gay marriage, as you know, is a done deal. IF a pastor does not wish to marry them, they are free to go elsewhere. And be married.
So why are they pushing for Catholic church weddings? :think: And your argument could be used by pro-choice people: Abortion is legal nationally, a done deal. A woman can go anywhere and get an abortion. So that makes it right, huh? :think:

Puppet

BANNED
Banned
The church knows theres no point in marrying gay atheists. The church has a right not to waste thier time. Why not focus on worshipping God instead of entertaining perverted unbelivers?

HisServant

The church is not an agent of the state.. it doesn't issue licenses.

Might as well sue because you aren't allowed to get married in the Oval Office.

Most churches I have gone to refuse to marry anyone that is not a member in good standing.... in this case Gays are not members in good standing with the Catholic Church... no difference. They have unrepentant sin.

Quetzal

In some states the ministers do complete those licenses (in NC this is how it works if I am not mistaken). I guess the alternative is a civil union (if they are available). They are different, but so long as they are equal, right? While we are at it, what is wrong with the back of the bus? They can even have their very own set of booths at restaurants, too!

Puppet

BANNED
Banned

Most churches I have gone to refuse to marry anyone that is not a member in good standing.... in this case Gays are not members in good standing with the Catholic Church... no difference. They have unrepentant sin.

My former paster wouldn't marry me unless I had a marriage license. What is that?

HisServant

In some states the ministers do complete those licenses (in NC this is how it works if I am not mistaken). I guess the alternative is a civil union (if they are available). They are different, but so long as they are equal, right? While we are at it, what is wrong with the back of the bus? They can even have their very own set of booths at restaurants, too!

Churches are private clubs... not agents of the state.

And you have a variety of people that can do marriages... no one is entitled to have a specific person and/or church marry them.

You can go the the JotP, and countless other people that have licenses and will marry you.

It would be no different than me (a non-catholic) wanting to be married in a Roman Catholic Cathedral... ain't gonna happen.

Quetzal

Churches are private clubs... not agents of the state.

And you have a variety of people that can do marriages... no one is entitled to have a specific person and/or church marry them.

You can go the the JotP, and countless other people that have licenses and will marry you.

It would be no different than me (a non-catholic) wanting to be married in a Roman Catholic Cathedral... ain't gonna happen.
But different states have different parameters about how a marriage is handled and legalized. That was the whole point of the SCOTUS ruling, to give a sort of definitive uniformity.

bybee

But different states have different parameters about how a marriage is handled and legalized. That was the whole point of the SCOTUS ruling, to give a sort of definitive uniformity.

A judgment by nine old coots without a clue about the will of the majority of Americans.
So long as the separation of Church and State is maintained the law is to be obeyed.