Friends

Truster

Do you consider people to be your friends because they are on 'your friends list' or are people on your friends list because they are your friend?

I used to have a statement on an account I kept:

I take friendship seriously and am aware of and hold dear the responsibilities of true friendship. Please don't ask me to be your friend unless you also know, understand and enjoy the responsibility and fondness that is found in true friendship.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Do you consider people to be your friends because they are on 'your friends list' or are people on your friends list because they are your friend?

I used to have a statement on an account I kept:

I take friendship seriously and am aware of and hold dear the responsibilities of true friendship. Please don't ask me to be your friend unless you also know, understand and enjoy the responsibility and fondness that is found in true friendship.

Perhaps, a little of both? I don't usually place someone on my
friends list unless there's something I have in common with them
or, something I like about that poster. If someone asks me to be
their friend, however, I don't turn them down. Sometimes, it starts
out that, another poster and I don't think kindly of one another but,
for some reason, later we start to like each other.

Kind words coming from somebody you initially didn't like, can
sometimes 'turn around' what you originally thought of them, and
low and behold, you both become friendly towards one another. I've
had that happen several times on TOL. Posters don't have to agree
about everything in order to be friends. In fact, after you become
friends with someone; you can still disagree, and yet, still be friends
with them afterwards. My friends list includes at least one Agnostic
whom I really like, one or more Calvinist's, a Catholic, and a few
other denominations I don't agree with and they don't agree with me.
However, we're still friendly with one another.

You and I, for instance, didn't get along with each other at first but,
now, I call you a friend and have you on my friends list. Just because
posters don't like each other at first, doesn't mean they might end
up being friends later?

Truster

Thanks GM and I must admit your last communication with me brought this question in the OP to the surface. I can honestly say that the day I asked you to be my friend nobody could have been more surprised than me. Even when I pressed enter I thought, ''are you mad'' GM will just laugh at you. But something truly amazing happened and I know you felt the same way.
The strangest thing was when I posted 'I love you GM' and the thoughts I had towards you changed in that instant. I wish I could express in words the way I now feel in our communications.
I suppose it would seem strange to others as well. Like a group of people gathering to watch a couple of pit bulls fight, but when the dogs enter the ring they start playing instead of fighting! Woof, woof GM!

Truster

Truster please do not call her that!!

It is worrying enough that she has turned into our little TOL bookie! :shocked:

When I was converted the members in the club I frequented took out a book on how long it would last. They were children of Satan and so is she.

fzappa13

As soon as the Lords people begin to fellowship Satan sends in his henchmen.

Well, we are certainly lucky you are here ... being that your are God's I.D. checker as it regards Satan's minions. Otherwise we would all be totally in the dark.

So, have you two picked out a china pattern yet?

Truster

Well, we are certainly lucky you are here ... being that your are God's I.D. checker as it regards Satan's minions. Otherwise we would all be totally in the dark.

So, have you two picked out a china pattern yet?

The secular mind attempting to grasp spiritual integrity is like watching a man cross a frozen waterfall in trainers.

fzappa13

The secular mind attempting to grasp spiritual integrity is like watching a man cross a frozen waterfall in trainers.

Interesting analogy ... I'll have to bow to your experience as it concerns frozen water falls and trainers as I have none.

Truster

Interesting analogy ... I'll have to bow to your experience as it concerns frozen water falls and trainers as I have none.

I've just booked accommodation for a weeks climbing in the Lake District. There is often a temptation to cross polished ice without crampons. You are only ever tempted the once and if you survive it will never cross you mind again. It can be a hilarious or deadly experience watching others make an attempt. If you try and warn them they will inevitably think they know better....just the once.