ECT Forgiving and Forgiveness

Word based mystic

Ok.

question.

discuss the difference between being offended and

forgiving someone.

does one need to be offended in order to forgive?

did Jesus forgive because He was offended or because He knew the need for the person to be forgiven so that person would not be judged.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Ok.

question.

forgiving someone.

did Jesus forgive because He was offended or because He knew the need for the person to be forgiven so that person would not be judged.

nobody is forgiven until God forgives them
and
God won't forgive you unless you forgive those who have hurt you

i.e.
when you forgive others
they are not forgiven
until God forgives them

God's Truth

whoa!

you are confusing the two

you have to ask
if
you want to be forgiven by God
but
you must forgive others without them asking for it

We are to forgive our brother who has done us wrong, but we also do not have to interact with him anymore unless he comes and asks for forgiveness.

See, we are to forgive others even without their asking, but we do not have to associate with people who are out to do us wrong.

Matthew 18:17 If they still refuse to listen, tell it to the church; and if they refuse to listen even to the church, treat them as you would a pagan or a tax collector.

God's Truth

Would you mind giving an example of forgiving someone without their asking for it?

Thank you kindly.

Jesus and Stephan forgave those who did not ask for forgiveness.

Even though Jesus and Stephen asked God to forgive those who did them wrong, it does not mean they are forgiven, it means they had a right heart, for everyone has to forgive to be forgiven. Those people who harmed Jesus and Stephen, they too must forgive those people in their life who have harmed them.

Luke 23:34 Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing." And they divided up his clothes by casting lots.

Acts 7:60 Then he fell on his knees and cried out, "Lord, do not hold this sin against them." When he had said this, he fell asleep.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
We are to forgive our brother who has done us wrong, but we also do not have to interact with him anymore unless he comes and asks for forgiveness.

See, we are to forgive others even without their asking, but we do not have to associate with people who are out to do us wrong.

Matthew 18:17 If they still refuse to listen, tell it to the church; and if they refuse to listen even to the church, treat them as you would a pagan or a tax collector.

sounds like we agree here
but
have you tried to ignore the irs?

Word based mystic

and

i.e.
when you forgive others
they are not forgiven
until God forgives them

Jesus breathes upon them and receive the Holy Spirit and the very next verse of command and encouragement to impact the world is this.

john 20:23 If you forgive the sins of any, their sins have been forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they have been retained."

if offended or sinned against we have the right as priests and kings to nullify that particular offense against us, or retain that offense.

the catholic perspective does not appreciate the individual believers priesthood and kingship as partners with the Holy Spirit.

He leads and guides we obey. The end result is power and impact on the earth in a spiritual fashion.

God's Truth

Ok.

question.

forgiving someone.

They offended Jesus when they beat him and crucified him.

Those who offended Jesus must also forgive others and repent of their sins to be forgiven by God.

God's Truth

and

i.e.
when you forgive others
they are not forgiven
until God forgives them

Right and God does not forgive them until they also forgive others who have offended them.

We have to repent and forgive.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Jesus breathes upon them and receive the Holy Spirit and the very next verse of command and encouragement to impact the world is this.

john 20:23 If you forgive the sins of any, their sins have been forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they have been retained."

if offended or sinned against we have the right as priests and kings to nullify that particular offense against us, or retain that offense.

the catholic perspective does not appreciate the individual believers priesthood and kingship as partners with the Holy Spirit.

He leads and guides we obey. The end result is power and impact on the earth in a spiritual fashion.

so can you forgive all of my sins?
right here
right now

please do it

Word based mystic

They offended Jesus when they beat him and crucified him.

how could He be offended if He knew it would happen.

True love is not offended and Jesus is Love in every way.

1 cor 13:5 does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, ((does not take into account a wrong suffered)),

God's Truth

how could He be offended if He knew it would happen.
The word offended is about someone doing you wrong.

True love is not offended and Jesus is Love in every way.

1 cor 13:5 does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, ((does not take into account a wrong suffered)),

We are to forgive others so that we can be forgiven. Jesus showed us the Way, even though he himself did not need to be forgiven for anything.

Those people who offended Jesus, even though Jesus forgave them, those people still must ask God to forgive them of their offenses, and they must also forgive others who have offended them.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Judgment is without mercy to the one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment (Jas 2:13).

"...[D]iscuss the difference between being offended and forgiving someone."
Sin is offensive to a holy God (Jn 3:4, 1 Jn 5:17, Jas 4:17, Ro 14:23, Pr 24:9). Hate sin (Am 5:15) but hold out hope for the sinner (1 Co 4:5).

"Does one need to be offended in order to forgive?"
If one has sinned against you, forgive him when he repents (Lk 17:3).

"Mercy is love directed to those who really need it." ~ Darrell Ferguson

See:

Judgment Please, Hold the Mercy by Darrell Ferguson

God's Truth

We must repent of our sins and also forgive others who have sinned against us, even if they do not ask us for forgiveness.

Word based mystic

so can you forgive all of my sins?
right here
right now

please do it

you did not read the comment.

if you offend me personally i have the right to forgive you (((that offense))).

As a priest and king it is an option and responsibility.

or you can just argue against the scripture i mentioned.

John 20:23 If you forgive the sins of any, their sins have been forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they have been retained.

don't argue with me about that

that is a very plain basic statement.

but RCC gets nervous about that because they desire to separate believers in categories and diminish the priesthood and indwelling Holy Spirit within (regular)/laity believers.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame

John 20:23 If you forgive the sins of any, their sins have been forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they have been retained.

but RCC gets nervous about that because they desire to separate believers in categories and diminish the priesthood and indwelling Holy Spirit within (regular)/laity believers.

you are using a quote that refers to sins of any

God's Truth

Keep in mind that we too are priests, but we are not the Apostles who laid the foundation.

glorydaz

Yes, Grace does say "IF" and that "IF" also came out of Yeshua's own mouth. John 15:6 Do you think Yeshua the fool, as well?

No, just you. :chuckle:

The Law says man has to perform, and Grace says our LORD did the performing. We are to believe and trust in that...not in ourselves.

Our Lord preached the Law when He walked this earth, but then He was crucified, buried, and rose from the dead. The CROSS really did make a difference, IMJ. The RISEN LORD preached another message, ie that He is the end of the LAW for righteousness. BECAUSE He did the performing (work). Until you understand that, you'll continue to make these ignorant statements. :nono: