ECT For those that believe in universal atonement...

nikolai_42

...not (necessarily) universalism - though that may be argued to be one of the logical outworkings of the belief - but that Christ died for every person who ever lived and ever will live.

The first thing is that it seems to me this view requires that Christ died only in hope. The idea that God looked into the future to see who would choose Him based on Christ and then decide to send Him because enough people would decide to follow by trusting in Christ - that doesn't look to me to line up with scripture. One might even then be tempted to ask (!) if God did so to maximize the numbers that would be saved or because certain specific people would be saved. Even if He is just trying to maximize numbers, what about those who might be saved if He DIDN'T maximize the numbers? Isn't maximizing numbers doing so at the expense of some certain individuals? I can't see a Sovereign God "running the numbers" to make a decision. But having to assume He might for the sake of argument, it still gets down (it seems) to Him choosing individuals (directly or indirectly).

The second thing - and where my main thought lies - is that Paul said this :

For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

I Corinthians 1:17-18

He makes a plain declaration that those who are not in Christ do not accept - nor understand - the purpose of the cross. There is nothing in it that attracts them. There is nothing to it that draws them. There is nothing about it that gains their interested attention. At best, it gains their scorn. So when men say that Jesus is pleading with the whole world to be saved - that every single man is offered the gospel and has the ability to respond positively to it - they still have to admit one of two things :

1. Satan has blinded the eyes of them who don't believe and God is doing nothing about it - therefore, Satan's activity is the cause of their damnation. God either won't or can't remove the blinders but He still damns men for not believing whether it is their fault or not. So the argument that limited atonement gives unregenerate men an excuse for their sin misses the fact that the same is true on the other side.
2. But - one will say - that is just the limited atonement argument being foisted upon the universal position. If that is the case (and here is the rub) then can't the one who believes under the universal scheme say "I was smart enough to accept the cross" since Paul clearly says it is foolishness to those that are perishing? Remember...you can't use the argument that the Holy Spirit has to open the eyes of the blind since that then takes us back to admitting that point 1 is the real universal situation (blindness unless God opens the eyes).

Note, also, that in that first chapter of I Corinthians, Paul clearly says he didn't use "...the wisdom of words..." lest he undermine the cross (which, again, is foolishness to those who are lost). In other words, the ONLY thing that is going to open the eyes of the blind is the Spirit of God. The ONLY thing that is going to make the cross seem wise and beneficial is the Spirit of God. God is not saying "Will anyone listen?" to the very people of whom it is said they are blinded by Satan (2 Corinthians 4:4). And if He is, is He unaware of the natural blindness? Is He unaware of the fact that the cross necessarily appears foolish to all those who are perishing?

So when you get to the point where that blinded unbeliever has the blinders taken off, there can be no scriptural support for the idea that that individual is in any way responsible for being able to see. But once he does see, then you get to the issue of man's sinfulness. Whether he wants to remain in his sin or not. And while that is beyond the scope of this post, I would point out that it seems (at least) that for universal atonement to be true, every individual - at some point in life - would have to see the cross for what it is (i.e. have their blindness removed). I just don't see how that position can be (successfully) defended.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
so why are you using the word atonement
it is an old testament word
you should be using the word redemption

catholics believe everyone has been redeemed by Jesus

so they might be saved

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
We see that the shed blood has universal application and is not limited. It has an application to those who are perishing and to us who are being saved.

Bradley D

The gospel is universal in that it was to be preached to all nations.

"And the gospel must first be preached to all nations" (Mark 13:10).

It was not said that it would be accepted by all. In fact it was stated that few would be saved.

"And someone said to Him, 'Lord, are there just a few who are being saved?' And He said to them, 'Strive to enter through the narrow door; for many, I tell you, will seek to enter and will not be able.…" (Luke 13:23-24)

nikolai_42

The gospel is universal in that it was to be preached to all nations.

"And the gospel must first be preached to all nations" (Mark 13:10).

It was not said that it would be accepted by all. In fact it was stated that few would be saved.

"And someone said to Him, 'Lord, are there just a few who are being saved?' And He said to them, 'Strive to enter through the narrow door; for many, I tell you, will seek to enter and will not be able.…" (Luke 13:23-24)

Answering the questions "Why is the cross (and the preaching of it) foolishness to those who are perishing?"...."Why are they perishing?" and "What is necessary for men to NOT see the cross (and the preaching of it) as foolishness?" I think is critical here.

The gospel indeed goes to the ends of the earth - but as Paul said, the cross and its message cannot stand in the wisdom of men's words lest its power be made of none effect. In other words, man's attempts to convince others of the importance and efficacy of the cross (and their need for a Savior) are futile - and could possibly be counterproductive. Thus, the only ones who will ever see and understand the relevance, need and power of the cross are those whose eyes are opened by God. Those who do not see that are blinded and no amount of our effort will change that. It puts me in mind of what God charged Isaiah to do :

And he said, Go, and tell this people, Hear ye indeed, but understand not; and see ye indeed, but perceive not.
Make the heart of this people fat, and make their ears heavy, and shut their eyes; lest they see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and convert, and be healed.
Then said I, Lord, how long? And he answered, Until the cities be wasted without inhabitant, and the houses without man, and the land be utterly desolate,
And the Lord have removed men far away, and there be a great forsaking in the midst of the land.

Isaiah 6:9-12

Many say this is simply God's reaction to Israel's rejection of Him. But the fact that this is meant to usher in the Savior and be fulfilled. But if that fact remained true even after Christ came, died and was resurrected, then it seems as though (at least) one crucial aspect of someone believing on Christ rests solely in God's hands.

glorydaz

Answering the questions "Why is the cross (and the preaching of it) foolishness to those who are perishing?"...."Why are they perishing?" and "What is necessary for men to NOT see the cross (and the preaching of it) as foolishness?" I think is critical here.

The gospel indeed goes to the ends of the earth - but as Paul said, the cross and its message cannot stand in the wisdom of men's words lest its power be made of none effect. In other words, man's attempts to convince others of the importance and efficacy of the cross (and their need for a Savior) are futile - and could possibly be counterproductive. Thus, the only ones who will ever see and understand the relevance, need and power of the cross are those whose eyes are opened by God. Those who do not see that are blinded and no amount of our effort will change that. It puts me in mind of what God charged Isaiah to do :

I think you have answered your own question with what you have written there in yellow. The Gospel is God's word...not man's. That God uses man to preach means nothing. There is no power in man...if anything, man gets in the way when he adds his own thoughts to what is written. We see it's the Gospel itself that does the convincing and the reason....that no flesh should glory in His presence.

1 Cor. 1:17-18 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect. For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.​

1 Cor. 1:27-29
But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: That no flesh should glory in his presence.

Bradley D

Secular man revels in things of the world. Spiritual man revels in the word of God. Love God, Love Neighbor, Love Enemy, goes against love self. So to live a godly life conflicts with human nature to fulfill insatiable wants. When a person has their basic needs they reach out for more. A Christian learns to be happy with their basic needs and wants to give excess to the poor/to God. Human nature loves self, Christ teaches to forget self.

Livelystone

The atonement available through Jesus is certainly universal the same as God's gift to sinful man so they may escape sin is "whosoever will may come". Persons who shout predestination as if they had won the lottery on eternal life before they were ever born have neglected to consider predestination is because of foreknowledge.

Resurrection from death unto life starts in the life where we have all been already condemned to death from the time of our conception that included the seed of satan who is the cause of death being passed unto us.

Our resurrection is in the seed that is Christ given to us that includes predestination of what will arrive in a persons path whose face is toward the Lord for the purpose of bringing them closer to receiving the fulness of their inheritance. On the other hand should we stray from the narrow way God may allow satan SOME freedom against us to correct us and bring us back to Him. However at this point we are trying His patience that if it reaches its limit allows an unrepentant heart to bring forth a reprobate mind contrary to God and under the direction of satan's seed still in us.

Through God's universal atonement all have been given a chance to overcome sin in this life that does not come through any enhanced ability of ourselves but by us worshipping in obedience and truth the Lord will prepare a path for us.

Does this mean we will not be tempted or face trials? Absolutely not and Job teaches us that should the Lord see where we need to grow in Him He lifts His hand of protection that allows satan's seed already in us to rise up in temptation but only to the extent God allows him to tempt us.

themuzicman

So when you get to the point where that blinded unbeliever has the blinders taken off, there can be no scriptural support for the idea that that individual is in any way responsible for being able to see. But once he does see, then you get to the issue of man's sinfulness. Whether he wants to remain in his sin or not. And while that is beyond the scope of this post, I would point out that it seems (at least) that for universal atonement to be true, every individual - at some point in life - would have to see the cross for what it is (i.e. have their blindness removed). I just don't see how that position can be (successfully) defended.

The only blinded unbelievers are Jewish. Nowhere in Scripture are Gentiles described as blinded (presently).