Fast Food workers protest and demand more money.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No. I've addressed the fallacy in the math that assumes a zero-sum game.
:chuckle:

No, you used an anecdote and pretended the challenge away.

Wrong. It is applied to a part of the nation's workforce. Most workers make significantly more.
Only if you're looking for ways to worm out of the facts.

And what, specifically, are the necessary effects? Please be as specific as you dare.
Please be as willing to read as you dare. :up:

And a tautology is a tautology.
Thank you. :)

Only for those employers who pay the minimum... A lot of the examples of businesses currently paying at or near the minimum are quite profitable now, and could likely afford a wage hike.
You are not justified in breaking this challenge down into anecdotes.

Unless they simply take the hit to their profitability. Which would likely be the wise thing to do, as the demand curve doesn't shift just because their marginal costs increase.
And how are you going to guarantee this will happen? Necessity remains necessity. Your ideals in a limited number of imaginary cases do not answer the challenge. Nothing can answer the challenge of mathematical necessity.

Then you admit that the whole bureaucratical exercise is one of futility.

You simply haven't thought the problem through carefully enough.
Perhaps you can show how more equals less in your world. :chuckle:

Granite

Hall of Fame
I'm asking you to tell us?

I don't have to. Open your damn Bible, tet. It's literally spelled out for you.

You people ignore what Jesus said to do with regularity. All you've done this entire thread is prove the point of my signature. (When I asked about Christ and you responded with Paul I was almost too dumbstruck to even laugh.)

How much money does a family of four have to make to go from "poor" to "rich"?

What does this have to do with anything?

Granite

Hall of Fame
Liberals are so compassionate.

How compassionate are they?

They are so compassionate that they kill the children before they are born so the children don't have to live in poverty.

Completely dumb comment and boneheaded post that has nothing to do with absolutely anything.

bybee

I don't have to. Open your damn Bible, tet. It's literally spelled out for you.

You people ignore what Jesus said to do with regularity. All you've done this entire thread is prove the point of my signature. (When I asked about Christ and you responded with Paul I was almost too dumbstruck to even laugh.)

What does this have to do with anything?

The Bible requires that we give 10 per cent to charity. With the taxes that we pay we more than meet that figure. Most of us also pledge to our churches and give regularly to other charities.
I have wondered what a raise in the minimum wage is bound to do to all other hourly rates?

Granite

Hall of Fame
The Bible requires that we give 10 per cent to charity.

No, it does not. The New Testament, at least, never once addresses tithing or what constitutes a just or acceptable amount. The Old Testament spoke to giving to the priest class, so it's not even charity in that case, either.

So...yeah.

bybee

No, it does not. The New Testament, at least, never once addresses tithing or what constitutes a just or acceptable amount. The Old Testament spoke to giving to the priest class, so it's not even charity in that case, either.

So...yeah.

How about allowing some grain to remain in the fields so that "poor folks" could go after the farmer and gather, with their own hands, the remainder? How about Jubilee years?
But, workers are not charity cases. Some folks are not smart enough or talented enough or driven enough to advance economically. In my state we have lots of assistance for people based on degrees of need.

Skybringr

BANNED
Banned
Yet you have no problem with your pope denouncing wealth, while your pope keeps his 15 billion locked up at the Vatican.

You're a typical Liberal

Apparently you aren't aware that Vatican City is it's own country, and given the expanse of Roman Catholicism in every country in the world, 15 billion dollars is not a lot of money.

They fund raise all the time to maintain itself. You're just ignorant is all, trying to find something stupid to pin on the Church.
Sure, they could feed the world for a day. And then guess what? They are hungry the next and the Church is bankrupt.

Go away :wave:

Granite

Hall of Fame
How about allowing some grain to remain in the fields so that "poor folks" could go after the farmer and gather, with their own hands, the remainder? How about Jubilee years?
But, workers are not charity cases. Some folks are not smart enough or talented enough or driven enough to advance economically. In my state we have lots of assistance for people based on degrees of need.

Ah, yes. Gleaning. Glad you brought that up. Sounds suspiciously like a hand-out. A freebie, actually. Sounds like they got something for nothing. Seems like if you just give a poor person something for nothing they'll just come to expect it.:noid:

Right?

bybee

Ah, yes. Gleaning. Glad you brought that up. Sounds suspiciously like a hand-out. A freebie, actually. Sounds like they got something for nothing. Seems like if you just give a poor person something for nothing they'll just come to expect it.:noid:

Right?

Ah! The King of Invective strikes again!
I believe in a helping hand for those in need. So, quitcherbishing!
Do you ever come out from under that dark cloud of hatred for all things not your things?
The gleanings? They are a mandated sharing you knob head! The people in need were expected to help themselves to what was available for them.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Ah! The King of Invective strikes again!
I believe in a helping hand for those in need. So, quitcherbishing!
Do you ever come out from under that dark cloud of hatred for all things not your things?
The gleanings? They are a mandated sharing you knob head! The people in need were expected to help themselves to what was available for them.

I know exactly what gleanings were. Just pointing out they were a total freebie...and if we ever tried mandating something similar, it'd be folks like you screaming bloody murder.

PureX

How about allowing some grain to remain in the fields so that "poor folks" could go after the farmer and gather, with their own hands, the remainder?
There are many who can't do that for a whole host of reasons. Also, our system is based on greed. All our important decisions are being made based on the maximization of profits, which means nothing gets "left in the field", as that would diminish the farmer's (now an agra-corp conglomerate) profits. It's all about the efficiency of greed, in this country. And not about the well-being of the people.
How about Jubilee years?
The profiteers just get richer. As they are doing now. While everyone else languishes and learns that greed is their only way out.
Who gets to decide who is one of these 'stupid workers' who it's OK for the more clever people to exploit for profit because they aren't really going to be any good for anything more? You? The politicians? The profiteers?

Unfortunately, none of the above are qualified, while all of the above are biased against them. So is it any wonder that the poor are getting hosed in this country?

Last edited:

bybee

I know exactly what gleanings were. Just pointing out they were a total freebie...and if we ever tried mandating something similar, it'd be folks like you screaming bloody murder.

You don't know me or folks like me. You won't allow yourself to know me or folks like me. We are automatically anathema to you because we don't knuckle under to the Progressive agenda.
I care about others and I share with others. I continue to work as best I can and I expect others to do the same.
You and folks like you are screaming bloody murder over not getting your own way in everything. A generation in love with itself and loathing for all others.

Granite

Hall of Fame
You don't know me or folks like me. You won't allow yourself to know me or folks like me. We are automatically anathema to you because we don't knuckle under to the Progressive agenda.
I care about others and I share with others. I continue to work as best I can and I expect others to do the same.
You and folks like you are screaming bloody murder over not getting your own way in everything. A generation in love with itself and loathing for all others.

What in the world are you going on about?

If there was a mandated system of giving people food for nothing, you'd oppose it. So don't mention gleaning on the one hand and then carry on about how lazy the poor are.

bybee

What in the world are you going on about?

If there was a mandated system of giving people food for nothing, you'd oppose it. So don't mention gleaning on the one hand and then carry on about how lazy the poor are.

In our state there is a cache of foodstuffs specifically mandated for the needy. There are also multiple food shelves which are free for those in need.
Our large grocery stores make up bags of staple which may be purchased and put into a bin for the food shelf.
I support all of these systems whole heartedly.

PureX

In our state there is a cache of foodstuffs specifically mandated for the needy. There are also multiple food shelves which are free for those in need.
Our large grocery stores make up bags of staple which may be purchased and put into a bin for the food shelf.
I support all of these systems whole heartedly.
The problem with those kinds of "systems" is that they aren't systems at all. Which means they only function sporadically and unevenly. Lots of people get left out. The whole point of using government to provide these kinds of social welfare services is that they can do it systematically, and therefor more efficiently, less expensively (I know you won't believe that, but it's actually true), and without biased expectations. At least they can until the bigots and ideologues start meddling with public policy, or the corporate criminals start rigging the system.

The enemy isn't government, the enemy is ignorance and corruption infecting the government and screwing it up.