ECT False Preachers in the Church

Puppet

BANNED
Banned
Of course the word "tithing" is not found in the KJV NT.

In the old testaments, they used agriculture, gave food for support. In the new testament, I would like to know more about the apostles collecting door to door and how it's not related to tithing.

Why does binny go outside the 10% standard of thithing?
I'll let Angel4Truth answer this question herself. But my understanding of the teaching (which I don't agree with) is 10% is the minimum expected and is not considered sacrificial giving. Anything beyond 10% would be considered sacrificial giving. The 10% is off the gross, not the net.

As for tithing in general, I follow Dr. John MacArthur's teaching on the subject, that is, tithing is Old Testament, not New Testament. A lot of these "rules" were created after Jesus' resurrection. Jesus' teaching on the subject, like the old woman giving out of her need versus the rich man giving out of his abundance, should be the rules we should use. If we are using a calculator to determine how much to give, we are not doing it with a cheerful heart.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
In the old testaments, they used agriculture, gave food for support. In the new testament, I would like to know more about the apostles collecting door to door and how it's not related to tithing.

Tithes were for priests and Levites. The apostles were not Levites and they could take gifts, but not tithes. This included Paul who was of Benjamin.

Jesus never tithed.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Of course the word "tithing" is not found in the KJV NT.

maybe not tithing - but tithe appears several time in the NT, referring to the OT Law -( i know you knew that, jamie) -

Matthew 23:23 KJV - Matthew 23:24 KJV -

Hebrews 7:4 KJV -

Hebrews 7:6-7 KJV -

Hebrews 7:8-9 KJV -

the NT is about giving from the heart -

2 Corinthians 9:7 KJV -

to the true B.O.C. -

2 Corinthians 9:6 KJV -

2 Corinthians 9:7-8 KJV

2 Corinthians 9:9-10 KJV -

2 Corinthians 9:11-12 KJV - 2 Corinthians 9:13 KJV -

2 Corinthians 9:14-15 KJV -

2 Corinthians 10:17 KJV - 2 Corinthians 10:17 - 2 Corinthians 10:17 NIV

Puppet

BANNED
Banned
I'll let Angel4Truth answer this question herself. But my understanding of the teaching (which I don't agree with) is 10% is the minimum expected and is not considered sacrificial giving. Anything beyond 10% would be considered sacrificial giving. The 10% is off the gross, not the net.

As for tithing in general, I follow Dr. John MacArthur's teaching on the subject, that is, tithing is Old Testament, not New Testament. A lot of these "rules" were created after Jesus' resurrection. Jesus' teaching on the subject, like the old woman giving out of her need versus the rich man giving out of his abundance, should be the rules we should use. If we are using a calculator to determine how much to give, we are not doing it with a cheerful heart.

Can you share the biblical reasons why most denominations pass the offering plate and how does that effect those who report zero earnings on the tax returns.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

Correct, 'tithing' is not a new testament thing, we are to give from the heart, not out of compulsion and there is no set amount (like a 10 percent tithe)

2 Corinthians 9:7 Each one must do just as he has purposed in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Can you share the biblical reasons why most denominations pass the offering plate and how does that effect those who report zero earnings on the tax returns.

Nothing wrong with asking for offerings, the church has bills to pay and should also be helping members - no one should be being forced to give an offering or told what amount to offer.

Tax returns have nothing to do with what is and is not right with "tithe" teachings.

Offerings - correct teaching a specific tithe today, incorrect.

Puppet

BANNED
Banned
Nothing wrong with asking for offerings, the church has bills to pay and should also be helping members - no one should be being forced to give an offering or told what amount to offer.

Tax returns have nothing to do with what is and is not right with "tithe" teachings.

Offerings - correct teaching a specific tithe today, incorrect.

By tax returns, I meant some make zero income meaning they have nothing for the offering plates. While back, I asked what would the churches be like if there was no thithing since 100ad. It would be very different. I would like to know what such a church would look like, today. A preacher preaching in the park would be a good example.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
By tax returns, I meant some make zero income meaning they have nothing for the offering plates. While back, I asked what would the churches be like if there was no thithing since 100ad. It would be very different. I would like to know what such a church would look like, today. A preacher preaching in the park would be a good example.

A lot of preachers have been fined or jailed for preaching in public, specifically parks and told they are government property.

There is nothing wrong with asking for offerings at church, unless people are being told they HAVE to give them.

Puppet

BANNED
Banned
A lot of preachers have been fined or jailed for preaching in public, specifically parks and told they are government property.

There is nothing wrong with asking for offerings at church, unless people are being told they HAVE to give them.

Wasn't it the Church of Christ that requires their members to turn in their tax records for proof. That was a creepy one. I think a lot of denomination require thithing

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Wasn't it the Church of Christ that requires their members to turn in their tax records for proof. That was a creepy one. I think a lot of denomination require thithing

Weird, i didnt know anything about that, ill check it out.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER

Weird, i didnt know anything about that, ill check it out.

That was a particular organization in the Northeast which called themselves 'The Church of Christ'. I've forgotten the details but I knew a young couple which got pulled into that group for a while.

Tithing is recognized as a strictly OT practice by the Stone-Campbell 'Church of Christ' movement.

Puppet

BANNED
Banned
That was a particular organization in the Northeast which called themselves 'The Church of Christ'. I've forgotten the details but I knew a young couple which got pulled into that group for a while.

Tithing is recognized as a strictly OT practice by the Stone-Campbell 'Church of Christ' movement.

I thought stone and Campbell are called "christian church".

I don't tithe so I don't really feel like a member even though I'm a member. I don't participate in votings or decision making cause I'm not really supporting the church.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
I thought stone and Campbell are called "christian church".

I don't tithe so I don't really feel like a member even though I'm a member. I don't participate in votings or decision making cause I'm not really supporting the church.

Yes, began as 'Christian Church', then began the split over music, thus 'The Church of Christ'. They emphasize Acts 2:38 water baptism for salvation, and salvation as a five step process, no eternal security. Mostly Amill but pockets of premill.

I remember now the one that tithes and demands an account was a break off from a COC in Texas and started up in Boston. It's called 'The International Church of Christ'- 'Boston Movement'.

I don't tithe. It was for the support of the Tabernacle and then the Temple, OT.

The believer today is to give as he purposes in his heart as led by the Spirit.