evil capitalism

republicanchick

But it's also important that we understand that commerce is not the answer to all our social problems and needs. We need to establish other system that can deal with those social issues that commerce simply cannot. These are issue like the rule of law, are.

Republicans are far more generous in their gifts to charitable causes than libs are

O'Reilly. Every cent he gets from his Killing.. books (I have heard) goes to charity.

many Rs give 10% of their income to charity

Bill Clinton (I have heard) and other libs: less than 1%

"Woe unto them who call good Evil and evil Good"

+

PureX

that is so bogus. It is Republicans who are members of Christian churches, who care about justice and the Constitution, and the rights of all humans, including those without a vote, the unborn.

you are guilty of violating that Scripture that says

Woe unto those who call evil Good and good Evil
All I can say is that I hope you're still young and I pray you will outgrow this terrible spiteful ignorance that you've been poisoned with.

republicanchick

A job isn't always gainful employment. If employers paid folks enough to have a decent, happy life then they wouldn't go and vote for politicians who promise handouts from taxes. .

so you are claiming that being on welfare pays better than having a minimum wage job?

you obviously can't do math

:hammer:

Quincy

so you are claiming that being on welfare pays better than having a minimum wage job?

you obviously can't do math

:hammer:

And you obviously can't read and have never had the need for any living assistance or known anyone who has. People work minimum wage jobs, then they can't afford insurance, food and to pay their bills. So then they get on Obamacare, food stamps and go to the local community action facility to get help paying their electrical or water bills. News flash, people work and still need assistance.

The government wouldn't have to tax the rich folks you worship in order to pay handouts to people, if employers paid people enough. Instead of paying workers well, they go spend millions and millions on political campaigns to try and beat candidates like Obama in elections. The sad thing is, Obama still wins, all that money went for nothing. If they'd just pay their workforce decently, then they wouldn't have to worry about someone like Obama getting elected.

I hope you can understand that, you seem almost as stupid as the rich people you worship.

csuguy

just b/c a person is a CEO of a company and makes a million a yr or more does NOT in and of itself make him evil. He may have inherited his wealth.. family business and all.

It is the amoral liberals who are attempting to DESTROY this country. they hate the boundaries of ... well, anything, but specificially the boundaries of the US Constitution (separation of powers, etc), and the REALLY hate the boundaries put forth by God himself

:box::hammer:

I never said that being wealthy, in of itself, makes one immoral. Several important and, for the most part, godly people in the bible were wealthy. King David and Solomon for instance. However:

1 John 3:17
If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person?

James 5:1-6 Now listen, you rich people, weep and wail because of the misery that is coming on you. 2 Your wealth has rotted, and moths have eaten your clothes. 3 Your gold and silver are corroded. Their corrosion will testify against you and eat your flesh like fire. You have hoarded wealth in the last days. 4 Look! The wages you failed to pay the workers who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord Almighty. 5 You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves in the day of slaughter.[a] 6 You have condemned and murdered the innocent one, who was not opposing you.​

The question is not whether or not one has wealth, but what is in one's heart. This is why the Capitalist Philosophy is evil: it promotes greed and puts the focus on satisfying one's own desires without regard to the impact this has on others.

99lamb

What system allows man the greatest possibility to achieve, to make his dreams come to fruition?
I contend that it is one based on entrepreneurism. America became a super power because its citizens were encourage to be the best, excel, achieve and that dirty word liberals hate compete.

PureX

What system allows man the greatest possibility to achieve, to make his dreams come to fruition?
I contend that it is one based on entrepreneurism. America became a super power because its citizens were encourage to be the best, excel, achieve and that dirty word liberals hate compete.
And now we are failing because we have not managed to gain control over our own greed.

Also, most men's dreams are not something we want to come to fruition. They are such that we need to reign them in.

shagster01

Why is Russia a super power?

republicanchick

And you obviously can't read and have never had the need for any living assistance or known anyone who has. People work minimum wage jobs, then they can't afford insurance, food and to pay their bills. So then they get on Obamacare, food stamps and go to the local community action facility to get help paying their electrical or water bills. News flash, people work and still need assistance.

The government wouldn't have to tax the rich folks you worship in order to pay handouts to people, if employers paid people enough. Instead of paying workers well, they go spend millions and millions on political campaigns to try and beat candidates like Obama in elections. The sad thing is, Obama still wins, all that money went for nothing. If they'd just pay their workforce decently, then they wouldn't have to worry about someone like Obama getting elected.

I hope you can understand that, you seem almost as stupid as the rich people you worship.

sounds believable

unless you consider such things as: I knew a woman who had several kids (yrs ago) on welfare (which has been changed since then, so...). She and her kids used to buy organic and other expensive food items. She had a car and was even in the process of buying a fixer-upper house. They never wanted for ANYTHING

Her kids were taller and heavier than most others in their grade school classes. They were also smarter because she took them to the (these are usually FREE ubiquitously) library, taught them herself.. a very good mother. And no one but the state helped her. Unfortunately, that is not a good thing, but i won't go into that, as the topic here is your ridiculous point that poor people in the US are just SO deprived. This was someone who made less than minimum wage, but lived well.

so you can take your stupid little liberal lies and do what you will with t hem. But i - for one - am not listening

republicanchick

I The question is not whether or not one has wealth, but what is in one's heart. This is why the Capitalist Philosophy is evil: it promotes greed and puts the focus on satisfying one's own desires without regard to the impact this has on others.

you contradict yourself

you say no one is evil jst b/c he has money. But then you say that the capitalist philosophy is evil. How can a philosophy be evil? Only humans are capable of being evil. A philosophy can be held by one person and it can benefit him and others, while the same philosophy can be held by someone who is evil... and it wont prevent him from being his evil self

(unless the philosophy encompasses absolutely EVERY possible scenario a person can fidn himself in... and there is NO SUCH philosophy)

for example, a person w/ good will could rule in a communistic country, be an actual communist, and yet care about the people, and impliment policies that help everyone, not just the ones in power.

But here's the funny thing: that has never happened in history

:rip:

republicanchick

exactly. And there are always those people who will choose not to participate in the free enterprise system. Some of them become dependent on the state, which is NOT good. But my point is that not everyone in the "greedy capitalistic system" is greedy and evil or just whatever

When people are downtrodden, they should depnd on their FAMILIES to help them, not the gov. maybe if the gov is going to us FORCE like it always does (regulations, taxes) they should FORCE families to take care of hteir own... I don't like force, but something should be done about all the throwaway people, the teens who run away, e tc... Tehy are too young to leave home. They maybe 17 or so but mentally, they are not ready, yet a lot of parents kick them out just the same.

=

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
And now we are failing because we have not managed to gain control over our own greed.

Who is "our"? Can you define who "Our" is? You love to speak of greed but, who are these greedy people? I think most of the liberals in Washington D.C. are greedy...greedy for other peoples possessions & power over the people but hey, you made the statement, define your terms.

Also, most men's dreams are not something we want to come to fruition. They are such that we need to reign them in.

Who are "most men"? Define that...

You speak in great generalizations and platitudes but, no content. If you can put a face on it than maybe...just maybe, you would have a point other than that your statements here are rather empty.

PureX

Who is "our"? Can you define who "Our" is? You love to speak of greed but, who are these greedy people? I think most of the liberals in Washington D.C. are greedy...greedy for other peoples possessions & power over the people but hey, you made the statement, define your terms.
"Our" is perfectly specific, as it refers to all of us. and that's exactly what I meant to infer.

We are a society that operates mainly on greed. Most of our decisions in life are based on it. And no matter how much we gain, we still want more, and we want to get it for nothing, too, if possible. And if we lose, the more we lose, the more frightened and desperate we become not to lose any more, still. So that we live in a persistent state of fear and desire. And we routinely destroy our own families and communities as a result of it.

Just as an example: Walmart has destroyed the economies of countless small towns all across America, and they did it for no other reason than greed. And most of the people living in those towns participated in their own destruction, and did it for only a few measly cents per purchase. They could have bought their goods from people who they knew, and who lived among them, and thereby kept the wealth of their community within their community, and among people who care about the well-being of that community. But they didn't. Instead, they gave their money to Walmart, to save a few cents per purchase, and drove their own neighbors out of business as their money went to a corporation that couldn't have cared less about them or their community.

Meanwhile, the local politicians agreed to use local tax dollars to pay for the infrastructure needed for Walmart to build their store (water, sewer, drainage, enhanced emergency services, etc.). And they promised Walmart ten years free from property taxes. Why? Because Walmart promised to "create jobs" in their community and the politicians knew that being able to claim that would get them re-elected.

Except that the jobs Walmart creates won't even pay enough for their workers to live on. So now the community will have to come up with public aid like food stamps, and health care, and welfare for their children, after having spent all that money on Walmart's infrastructure, and promising them tax-free status for the next ten years.

And by the way, when the tax-free ten years are up, Walmart will start the whole process over again by abandoning that store and building another one just a few miles down the road.

And this is just one single example of how our society is destroying itself through it's own greed, and how you and I are a part of it. Because every time we do business with a giant conglomerate's chain outlet, to save ourselves a few pennies, we are driving a local person out of business, and keeping local people from opening up new ones. Which of course eliminates and denies jobs while it depletes the local economy.

And how many among us want to BE a Walmart? How many of us would love to inherit billions of dollars and a piece of one of the most profitable corporations on the planet? And once we inherited this monster, how many of us would behave any differently than the people that did inherit it?

Each member of the Walmart family is worth over a billion dollars. Not a dime of which any of them actually earned. And yet because that still is not enough to satiate their greed, they insist on paying their employees as little as they can get away with, and force the taxpayer to foot the bill for the rest of what they need to live.

And because so many among us would deep down love to be just like the Walton family, we approve of this incredibly toxic greed. And we even fight politically to protect it. While we blame the destruction of our own families and communities on everyone and everything else. Because we certainly aren't going to admit that it might be our own fault.

Morpheus

I find it baffling when people use the term "profit motive" without realizing that it is nothing but a euphemism for greed. Greed is the engine that drives capitalism. Both the greed of the capitalist and that of the consumer (with advertising being used as a catalyst) are required for capitalism to thrive. Since greed is the sole motive, instead of the common good, all kinds of useless, frivolous goods are produced and sold for inflated prices. Our national , and global, means of production are squandered to "fulfill the desires" of a handful of wealthier, wasteful consumers, while the overwhelming majority do without the basics. Even those on the fringes are exploited and bled just to fatten the pockets of the holders of capital. And then on "Christian" forums goats defend that greed-driven system simply because they have become trained to advertising to the point that they have even bought the system because of an ambitious marketing campaign.

The Berean

The problem is, you have some Scrooges at the helm of these corporations. They operate under the pathetic idea that more responsibility equals vastly more pay. It should be considered immoral that the top brass of a corporation make millions while they employees that make under $20,000 and by their own decision, they should cut their pay back and give everyone under them a boost. Most of them won't do that, however, so you end up liberals wanting to government to mandate redistribution. That's not the right way to go about it.

Take the President of Nintendo, Mr. Iwata, for example. His company's products have not been doing well the last few years, as far as sales go. His company was faced with operating losses and what does he do? Instead of laying off 100s of people, he takes a 50% pay cut, putting that money back into the company to save his employee's jobs. That's eastern philosophy and morality for you. That's a company ran responsibly and an example of how capitalism could work right.

Here in the west, not many CEOs or Presidents would do that. They'd sink the company, take millions out of it and bail.... err resign as it goes into bankruptcy. Those guys are a disgrace to their God, family and country.

It's not enough to just provide jobs, you have to take care of the people you employ because regardless of whatever perceived responsibility you have, those people are part of what makes the company what it is. Sure, a CEO should get paid more but not millions more. Ultra-capitalist are just like ulta-nationalist, the idea and name of the nation is more important than the people in it, same thing with these disgraceful sentient money pits and the companies they ruin. If the people who ran corporations took the time to make sure their employees where happy, motivated and satisfied with their jobs like Mr. Iwata did, then there wouldn't be a need for government intervention and redistribution of wealth.

i think you are overgeneralizing Quincy. Iwat's pay cut has nothing to do with "eastern philosophy and morality" as if the Japanese are somehow morally superior in this regard (there are not). Japanese companies are infamous for overworking their employees.

Japanese workers fight against karoshi, death from overwork

Death by overwork in Japan: Jobs for life

The Japanese government has been trying to reduce workloads for people for decades now.

Reducing overwork-related deaths

I've visited Japan and I can say from first hand experience that the Japanese work a lot of hours. It's part of the Japanese culture. Is that good or bad? :idunno:

Also, there are plenty of examples of American CEO's who took pay cuts. It's actually not that uncommon.

The Berean

I never said that being wealthy, in of itself, makes one immoral. Several important and, for the most part, godly people in the bible were wealthy. King David and Solomon for instance. However:

1 John 3:17
If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person?

James 5:1-6 Now listen, you rich people, weep and wail because of the misery that is coming on you. 2 Your wealth has rotted, and moths have eaten your clothes. 3 Your gold and silver are corroded. Their corrosion will testify against you and eat your flesh like fire. You have hoarded wealth in the last days. 4 Look! The wages you failed to pay the workers who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord Almighty. 5 You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves in the day of slaughter.[a] 6 You have condemned and murdered the innocent one, who was not opposing you.​

The question is not whether or not one has wealth, but what is in one's heart. This is why the Capitalist Philosophy is evil: it promotes greed and puts the focus on satisfying one's own desires without regard to the impact this has on others.
I recently considered applying for a job at Tesla Motors in Silicon Valley. Then I started reading many employee reviews online about the work environment there. The central theme I found was that Tesla Motors management greatly overworks their employees. There is tremendous pressure to work overtime and on weekends. Elon Musk supposedly had a company meeting and told all of his employees that they don't work enough Saturdays. I actually have a friend that works there and she told me what I read online is accurate. I then told her that I don't think I would want to work for such a company. She responded that I could be a person that could change things at Telsa Motors. I just laughed. This corporate culture is driven by Musk who is an extreme workaholic. He claims he works 100 hours per week and he expects similar effort from his employees. I don't understand this mindset, it's so foreign to me.

Last edited:

rexlunae

I love the greedy capitalists. They provide JOBS.

Ah, neoliberalism at it's purest.

Of course, it's not really true that greedy capitalists create jobs except in the most literal sense. Consumers demand goods and services. That's what creates the space for the jobs. Businesses seek to fill that demand, and in so doing, they create jobs. But the thing that drives the creation of jobs is not the existence of a capitalist willing to create it, but the demand for a good or service, and that demand originates with consumers. When consumers suffer, there are fewer job opportunities, and there's nothing the precious "job creators" of neoliberal philosophy can do about it.

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
you contradict yourself

you say no one is evil jst b/c he has money. But then you say that the capitalist philosophy is evil. How can a philosophy be evil? Only humans are capable of being evil. A philosophy can be held by one person and it can benefit him and others, while the same philosophy can be held by someone who is evil... and it wont prevent him from being his evil self

(unless the philosophy encompasses absolutely EVERY possible scenario a person can fidn himself in... and there is NO SUCH philosophy)

The Rich Young Ruler (Mark 10:17-25)

17 As He was setting out on a journey, a man ran up to Him and knelt before Him, and asked Him, “Good Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?”
18 And Jesus said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good except God alone.
19 You know the commandments, ‘Do not murder, Do not commit adultery, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Do not defraud, Honor your father and mother.’”
20 And he said to Him, “Teacher, I have kept all these things from my youth up.”
21 Looking at him, Jesus felt a love for him and said to him, “One thing you lack: go and sell all you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.”
22 But at these words [a]he was saddened, and he went away grieving, for he was one who owned much property.
23 And Jesus, looking around, *said to His disciples, “How hard it will be for those who are wealthy to enter the kingdom of God!”
24 The disciples were amazed at His words. But Jesus *answered again and said to them, “Children, how hard it is to enter the kingdom of God!
25 It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.”
"The Rich Young Ruler" appears 3X in the New Testament (Matthew 19:16–30, Mark 10:17-31, Luke 18:18–30) and Jesus is quite explicit as to where those "greedy capitalists" that "republicanchick" loves will be spending Eternity!

"The Young Ruler" had lived a highly moral life and kept all the Commandments ( ‘Do not murder, Do not commit adultery, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Do not defraud, Honor your father and mother.’” .....), but it was his possessions that stood between him and Heaven.

Jesus had the capacity to introduce theological concepts in their simplest of terms - it was directed towards an audience that was largely uneducated and illiterate.

It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.”
..... (unless the philosophy encompasses absolutely EVERY possible scenario a person can fidn himself in... and there is NO SUCH philosophy)
This is yet another relatively straightforward concept that doesn't sit well with our conservative "friends" so in an effort its undermine its intentions they throw up all manner of "roadblocks!"