Every day is a new circus.

Lon

So I was on FB earlier and a friend of mine posted a familiar, "Agree with him or not, I am praying for our president to be filled with wisdom," meme. Now the point of those is largely to get anyone reading it to act or think affirmatively about Trump. It's an end run of sorts, that finds purchase in many who are uncomfortable with their decision to support him the first time around.

Here's the problem for me...I see his lawyers arguing that detained children aren't necessarily entitled to soap, toothbrushes, and a sleeping spot that isn't a concrete floor and I think, "Until he demonstrates fundamental humanity toward those who cannot in any sense further his welfare, I'm just not interested in much more than removing him from office." And I voted for Bush Jr., before anyone asks. So I'm always a potential get for conservatives, but not here.

Our president is a creature of free will and no wisdom or goodness will come into a single soul who doesn't invite it. Evidence of either will be found in the fruit of that tree. So until that fruit is edible, I'd rather spit it out.
:think: James Dobson

Dobson suggests that Trump is not part of the Democrats and Republicans and has a genuine concern. We need to be the LAST to cast stones after any great stoning. Tainted and slanted media will not be my masters. I realize it makes me move very slowly and deliberately, but I'm just not going to be grabbing stones. I didn't under Obama. I prayed because scripture says to: 1 Timothy 2:1-4 I don't think you have to think one way or another in order to pray. I voted for neither man. Prayed for both. I hope I'm misreading you, but it seems like you begrudge your FB friend to even pray? That can't be right. Prayer isn't politics, it is talking to God about people of concern. -Lon

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
D-Y_KZ4XkAEJ1a0.jpg

Family Circus

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
:think: James Dobson

Dobson suggests that Trump is not part of the Democrats and Republicans and has a genuine concern.
Dobson is the worst sort of Christian leader then, an apologist for someone who puts on the mask of Christianity without enough character to even line up the eyeholes.

I read the link. Dobson made me about as angry as I've been with a religious leader in some time.

From his newsletter:

" I can only report that without an overhaul of the law and the allocation of resources, millions of illegal immigrants will continue flooding to this great land from around the world."

A flood, a thing to be feared, that harms, destroys, even kills a "great land." That's a sheepskin pulled over a wolfish intent. Tell us we're great and infer the immigrants are an evil, destructive, and an overwhelming force.

Many of them have no marketable skills. They are illiterate and unhealthy. Some are violent criminals. Their numbers will soon overwhelm the culture as we have known it, and it could bankrupt the nation.

Even more contemptible and direct. "Many" (How many? What percent? 20%? 80%?) This unnamed portion is voiced as a many but presented more like a rule (the rest being unspoken to and for) and the flood is marked with a nearly subhuman description...diseased, criminal, ignorant, overwhelming and coming to break the bank. It could be the Irish coming to our shores generations ago. Same contempt, fear, and loathing with a thin coat of paint and praise toward the "victims," the privileged and insulated.

He should be horsewhipped, metaphorically speaking.

America has been a wonderfully generous and caring country since its founding.
Now he tells us how decent we are while he tells us that we shouldn't be, we victims of this horde of an illiterate, sick, and criminal mob.

That is our Christian nature. But
No. Whenever anyone speaks to an elevated, Christian nature then says "But," you can bet your bottom tax dollar what comes next isn't that thing and is likely an offense against it.

in this instance, we have met a worldwide wave of poverty that will take us down if we don't deal with it. And it won't take long for the inevitable consequences to happen."
Doubling down on the "thieves coming to take your your money," last line of defense of the indefensible. Only now they're the tip of a spear, the appointed representatives of a WORLD WIDE poverty...well, he's illustrating another sort of poverty here, at the end, where the point of presentations is always revealed.

I'm shaking my shoes at Dobson, God forgive him.

We need to be the LAST to cast stones after any great stoning.
What stoning, Lon? What. This man has never paid a price for anything he didn't aim to buy, including the presidency.

Tainted and slanted media will not be my masters.
Fox News just smiled at that. The president would too. They sold you that notion, Lon. They've been peddling it for years to set this more obvious cash grab up. Bush wasn't enough for them. He was the test case. Then they took a flawed, lazy politician and set the banquet table with him. This time they upped the ante and decided to promote a more naked version of their avarice...and, God help us, it worked; at least among most conservatives, though they didn't manage to win over most of the electorate and they had to rely on the EC again, but close enough for a power win.

I realize it makes me move very slowly and deliberately, but I'm just not going to be grabbing stones.
Try picking up the fruit of this man. Take a bite. Your spiritual body will do the rest.

I didn't under Obama.
Or Reagan, or Nixon? Let's stay on target. This is a new animal, a naked one.

I prayed because scripture says to: 1 Timothy 2:1-4 I don't think you have to think one way or another in order to pray. I voted for neither man. Prayed for both. I hope I'm misreading you, but it seems like you begrudge your FB friend to even pray? That can't be right. Prayer isn't politics, it is talking to God about people of concern. -Lon
I've seen a number of my conservative friends, looking at the moral mess that this president is, the things he's done, the people he's surrounded himself with, and I believe most of the remarks/memes like the one I noted are attempts to distance themselves from the choice they made, or some of the consequences, and not have to come to grips with who the man they saddled the nation with is...and I am done. I want him gone. I'm not interested in those attempts. I'll pray for his salvation, but I'm not connecting God to his reign any more than the man who once said he doesn't ask for forgiveness does.

Last edited:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
TH quoting Dobson:

Many of them have no marketable skills. They are illiterate and unhealthy. Some are violent criminals. Their numbers will soon overwhelm the culture as we have known it, and it could bankrupt the nation.

"The culture as we have known it" is one of the shrillest dog whistles from the right.

You know what one of the saddest parts of that newsletter was? When he told the "skinny young men" that God loves them, that he (Dobson) loves them - and then he left the facility with the cages full of "traumatized and frightened children," of people who are sick, underfed, have no bed and not enough to keep them warm, standing or sitting shoulder to shoulder with "plaintive eyes" and went home to his warm bed and proceeded to put scare quotes around the word refugee and warn us they were going to take us down.

Lon

Dobson is the worst sort of Christian leader then, an apologist for someone who puts on the mask of Christianity without enough character to even line up the eyeholes.

I read the link. Dobson made me about as angry as I've been with a religious leader in some time.

From his newsletter:
I imagine you were angry way before that? :think: This thread is an "I hate Trump" thread. I didn't vote for the man. The man's lifestyle is or at least had been repugnant. Can a leopard change its spots? No. But God can recreate a leopard. Has He? In God's hands, and so I pray. Partaking in the bashing? Our country is already ripped apart. This thread doesn't help. Prayer IS a good thing. Until then? "We wrestle NOT with flesh and blood." I think your good efforts are incredibly needed elsewhere and this isn't it.

A flood, a thing to be feared, that harms, destroys, even kills a "great land." That's a sheepskin pulled over a wolfish intent. Tell us we're great and infer the immigrants are an evil, destructive, and an overwhelming force.
Sometimes, a flood is just 'more than can be handled. You WERE angry before ever reading his post, Town. You aren't supposed to be wrestling with flesh and blood, but with 'spirits and principalities.' Great, I have the same principles. He was describing what he saw as 'a flood.'

Even more contemptible and direct. "Many" (How many? What percent? 20%? 80%?) This unnamed portion is voiced as a many but presented more like a rule (the rest being unspoken to and for) and the flood is marked with a nearly subhuman description...diseased, criminal, ignorant, overwhelming and coming to break the bank. It could be the Irish coming to our shores generations ago. Same contempt, fear, and loathing with a thin coat of paint and praise toward the "victims," the privileged and insulated.

He said it brought him to tears AND that he was getting much of this from the border officers? Again, you don't seem to be reading this with fair ear (to me). I'm sorry you are angry at Dobson. Likely it is because he said "Trump is the only one who cares?"

He should be horsewhipped, metaphorically speaking.

I don't think your angst is metaphor at this point. You can't let that horse out of the corral and say you didn't mean it afterwards. You are indeed very angry and likely saying things you'll be sorry for later?

Now he tells us how decent we are while he tells us that we shouldn't be, we victims of this horde of an illiterate, sick, and criminal mob.
He didn't say that. He said it is a mess and I believe him. He did say a few things about these people that I don't agree with, but I wasn't angry before I started reading him and I didn't think he was disparaging anybody. He was reporting what border guards asked him to report. Should the border guards be horse-whipped too?

No. Whenever anyone speaks to an elevated, Christian nature then says "But," you can bet your bottom tax dollar what comes next isn't that thing and is likely an offense against it.

Er, you didn't read in context. He said this many 'could' bankrupt. Am I worried about that? :nono: Are you mad that we don't give all our money to the poor and surrender our bodies to the flames? Do we need to revisit giving your house to those who are asking/demanding it? Even our Precious Lord said it wasn't right to give to the 'dogs' (gentiles) what belonged to the "children" (Israel). Was it Aryan? :nono: He was conveying that He'd only been sent to one group. In the next instant He gave to that woman, but it is a counting of resources. Simply 'flood-gating' is something that is just not weighing out our actual ability as a nation.

Doubling down on the "thieves coming to take your your money," last line of defense of the indefensible. Only now they're the tip of a spear, the appointed representatives of a WORLD WIDE poverty...well, he's illustrating another sort of poverty here, at the end, where the point of presentations is always revealed.
Of thieves and robbers and 'coyotes.' He wasn't saying that of kids or families, but of the ones that actually are thieves, robbers, and the unscrupulous. He was reporting what border guards asked him to convey.

I'm shaking my shoes at Dobson, God forgive him.
You scare me. Aaron and Miriam turned leprous for speaking against Moses, God's servant.

What stoning, Lon? What. This man has never paid a price for anything he didn't aim to buy, including the presidency.
This thread?

Fox News just smiled at that. The president would too. They sold you that notion, Lon. They've been peddling it for years to set this more obvious cash grab up. Bush wasn't enough for them. He was the test case. Then they took a flawed, lazy politician and set the banquet table with him. This time they upped the ante and decided to promote a more naked version of their avarice...and, God help us, it worked; at least among most conservatives, though they didn't manage to win over most of the electorate and they had to rely on the EC again, but close enough for a power win.
I don't watch that much news these days, preferring to read it.

Try picking up the fruit of this man. Take a bite. Your spiritual body will do the rest.
He at least hasn't been a godly man. What I do appreciate, is that he maneuvered a pastor out of prison in Turkey, one Obama left to rot in jail for his 8 year term and said it was his own fault. However this man's character, he does seem interested in what is on the minds of Christians and he did, in fact, keep many of his promises he specifically made to them.

Or Reagan, or Nixon? Let's stay on target. This is a new animal, a naked one.
Moreso than J.F. Kennedy? :think: The man's morals stink, then if not now. I've no idea.

I've seen a number of my conservative friends, looking at the moral mess that this president is, the things he's done, the people he's surrounded himself with, and I believe most of the remarks/memes like the one I noted are attempts to distance themselves from the choice they made, or some of the consequences, and not have to come to grips with who the man they saddled the nation with is...and I am done. I want him gone. I'm not interested in those attempts. I'll pray for his salvation, but I'm not connecting God to his reign any more than the man who once said he doesn't ask for forgiveness does.
Whole other thing and a lot of sympathy, but again, I'm talking most about Dobson as well as not bandwaggoning against every last thing Trump does. Can you find a thread on Obama that was this bad? Obama pressed for agenda that allowed children to be raped in Target stores across the nation, allowed completely nude people ride their bicycles down the street with children in attendance (the news thankfully edited out what was not at all edited before children. I genuinely believe Obama hated Christians. I genuinely believe 'at least Trump doesn't." Now, unbelievers undoubtedly will and do despise us. It does genuinely give me some hope, that Trump at least seems to listen and keep his promises. I've no idea where all of this will go, but I do think 'prayer' is incredibly better than 'bash.' I also believe you've been uncommonly hard on Dr. James Dobson. -Lon

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I imagine you were angry way before that?
How can you distinguish it from your willingness to imagine it?

This thread is an "I hate Trump" thread.
I don't agree. I find it a thread dedicated to exposing the dangerous and absurd side of both the politician and too many who defend him. Given that it's bound to be uneven and, now and again, excessive. But that's the nature of political rhetoric.

I didn't vote for the man.
Me either.

The man's lifestyle is or at least had been repugnant. Can a leopard change its spots? No. But God can recreate a leopard.
How many leopards have you ever stopped to pet, with that philosophy in mind? I'd suspect the answer to be, "None, without good reason to believe in the domestication." And that would be reasonable as well.

"Has He? In God's hands, and so I pray."
Pharaoh was in God's hands too.

Partaking in the bashing? Our country is already ripped apart. This thread doesn't help.
I think the worst thing we can do is leave the public square to his celebrators, defenders, or those disinclined to take a harder look and line. And I'd say few things are more American or productive use of the square than speaking truth to power.

Prayer IS a good thing. Until then? "We wrestle NOT with flesh and blood." I think your good efforts are incredibly needed elsewhere and this isn't it.
I'd say we should follow our conscience as we are compelled to and do what good we may in whatever way we might as God gives us the light to see it by.

Sometimes, a flood is just 'more than can be handled.
Those times we usually don't couple the description with criminal, sick, and illiterate. Or, sometimes a metaphor is chosen for a harder reason, especially by a trained and seasoned writer/speaker.

You WERE angry before ever reading his post, Town.
Rather, some things offend me. Suffering, injustice, bigotry. When I find a root for the growth of those things in the conduct and/or policy of a man elected to be our voice I am offended. When someone gives aid and comfort to that man or that sort of policy the offense against both reason and virtue compels me to object.

I don't think your angst is metaphor at this point.
Well, I don't believe in literal horsewhipping, but the metaphorical fits the rhetorical crime.

You can't let that horse out of the corral and say you didn't mean it afterwards.
I have not in any sense suggested that I didn't mean what I wrote, though I take exception to how you insist I wrote it.

You are indeed very angry and likely saying things you'll be sorry for later?
Supra.

I didn't think he was disparaging anybody.
When you only speak of immigrants as criminals, sick, illiterate, when that's the single face you point toward your readers while comparing them to a flood ready to ruin our financial future that's about all you're doing.

Are you mad that we don't give all our money to the poor and surrender our bodies to the flames?
I'm concerned that we too often turn away from the good we might do for reasons that are less than virtuous.

You scare me. Aaron and Miriam turned leprous for speaking against Moses, God's servant.
Jesus had no problem in shredding the religious leaders of Israel, in public, when they followed a wrong course that misled others to their detriment. And when the fate and well being of his children is impacted by misconduct from the clergy, I feel morally compelled to speak to it.

Can you find a thread on Obama that was this bad?
Why?

Obama pressed for agenda that allowed children to be raped in Target stores across the nation
Isn't that like saying Las Vegas, Parkland, etc. is the responsibility of the NRA? Their opposition to reasoned gun law made those and other mass shootings not only possible, but more likely. Or do we blame the individual for evil intent and action and try to shape policy that deters it?

It does genuinely give me some hope, that Trump at least seems to listen and keep his promises. I've no idea where all of this will go, but I do think 'prayer' is incredibly better than 'bash.' I also believe you've been uncommonly hard on Dr. James Dobson. -Lon
On the president...I'll pray for his guidance and deliverance from evil thoughts and ways. And I'll pray for a quick deliverance for the nation from his hands in the meantime.

On Dobson, so far as this point and issue, I've said what I think about what I quoted him saying and have no reason to alter any of it.

Last edited:

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
So, people held indefinitely without due process?

how long should people being held for violating the law be held?

be specific

what should "due process" look like in the current situation?

be specific

why can't you admit, as did every single one of the democrat candidates in those farcical "debates" the other day, that you support open borders?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Tainted and slanted media will not be my masters.

this

anna (and others) suckle at the teat of the msm until their bellies are full of distortions and their minds distended by manipulation

pity them for their irrational "reasoning"