Eternal Security?

Jerry Shugart

Does the Christian enjoy eternal security?

We do know that we already possess eternal life, and that life is in the Lord Jesus:

"And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son" (1 Jn.5:11).​

The Greek word translated "eternal" means "without end, never to cease, everlasting" (Thayer's Greek English Lexicon).

Therefore, we can understand that Christians already possesses a life in the Lord Jesus which will never end. If it could possibly end then that means that it was never eternal to begin with. But John makes it plain that it is without end and will never cease.

Besides that, the Lord Jesus says that those to whom He gives eternal life shall never perish:

"And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand"
(Jn.10:28).​

We also know that eternal life is a "gift":

"For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord" (Ro.6:23).​

The apostle Paul makes it plain that the LORD's gifts will not be revoked or taken back:

"For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable"
(Ro.11:29).​

It is also a fact that all those who believe have eternal life and they shall not come into condemnation:

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath eternal life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life"
(Jn.5:24).​

With these words of the Lord Jesus in view how can anyone argue that those who have been given eternal life can come into condemnation?

With all of these Biblical truths before us I cannot understand how anyone could possibly deny that at this moment all Christians enjoy eternal security.

However, there will be some people who will just ignore all of this evidence from the Bible and quote verses in order to try to prove that what is written about eternal life is not true. They will refuse to deal with what the Bible says about the eternal life we have in the Son.

Truster

Someone agreeing with the doctrine of eternal security is one thing. Actually having it is another.

Most REFORMED cults demand that the congregation adhere to a confession of which this is part. Any Calvinists or Lutherans would make the same demands. Most protestants will say that there is an absolute need to be born again, but most of them are not. They accept Biblical truths, but are strangers to the realities, that the truths speak of.

Jerry Shugart

Does it matter?

Yes, it matters. The LORD does not want us to have our attention on ourselves worrying if we might lose our salvation. Instead He wants our attention to be on the Lord Jesus and for a good reason:

"But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as from the Lord, the Spirit" (2 Cor.3:18).​

To us who are saved it matters greatly that we know that we will never lose our salvation.

oatmeal

It would be very interesting to have a definition for security. Does life mean the same thing as security.

Christians should be secure in the trustworthiness of God's wordand in our having eternal life

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Someone agreeing with the doctrine of eternal security is one thing. Actually having it is another.

Most REFORMED cults demand that the congregation adhere to a confession of which this is part. Any Calvinists or Lutherans would make the same demands. Most protestants will say that there is an absolute need to be born again, but most of them are not. They accept Biblical truths, but are strangers to the realities, that the truths speak of.
Ephesians 1:13 KJV -

Jerry Shugart

He said not to worry about your life.

Those words were written in the context of the earthly kingdom being at hand. But this is what Paul tells us:

"But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel"
(1 Tim.5:8).​

WeberHome

Re: Eternal Security?

-
John 10:27-30 . . My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand.

It is God's wishes that His son lose none of the sheep entrusted to his care.

John 6:39 . .This is the will of the one who sent me; that I should not lose anything of what He gave me

Jesus claimed that he is a success at pleasing his Father.

John 8:29 . .The one who sent me is with me. He has not left me alone, because I always do what is pleasing to Him.

Now; were Christ to lose even one single head of the sheep that God rounded up Himself and entrusted to His son's care, then the Lord's claim to "always" do what is pleasing to the one who sent him would be easily proven false, and Christ would have to stop saying "always" and revise his claim to say:

"I usually do what is pleasing to Him."

Well; I'm sorry but "usually" doesn't cut it. Sensible sheep couldn't possibly trust their welfare to a win-some lose-some shepherd. No, in order to feel safe and secure; the sheep have need of a competent shepherd with a 0.0% failure rate.

POSIT: Jesus promised that nobody would snatch his sheep out of His hand. This doesn't mean that his sheep don't have the choice to jump out of His hand of their own will.

RESPONSE: The Father's will trumps the sheep's will.

John 6:39 . .This is the will of the one who sent me; that I should not lose anything of what He gave me

The posit is actually a vote of no-confidence in the good shepherd's determination to succeed at pleasing God; and reveals a belief that the sheep have enough strength and cunning to overpower their shepherd and run off.

Were the good shepherd only human, then I would be inclined to agree with the posit that the good shepherd's sheep might get past him and run off. But the Bible teaches that Christ is not only a human, but also the divine architect of the entire cosmos with all of its forms of life, matter, and energy. So then, the good shepherd has all the powers and abilities of the supreme being at his disposal to utilize in keeping his Father's sheep right where he wants them to be.

Surely no one in a right mind would dare to suggest that sheep have sufficient powers and abilities of their own at their disposal to overcome Christ. Were that the case, the sheep would have no need of his services; the sheep could shepherd themselves.

But even were the sheep to somehow manage to escape Christ's hand, they would still have the Father's hand to contend with; and good luck getting past Almighty God!

John 10:9 . . I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved.

Were Christ a so-so shepherd instead of the good shepherd, he wouldn't dare say "will be saved"; no, he'd have to tone it down a bit and say "can be saved". That would leave him some room for error.

/

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Those words were written in the context of the earthly kingdom being at hand. But this is what Paul tells us:

"But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel"
(1 Tim.5:8).​

Does Paul's statement negate Jesus' statement?