Elephants, evolution, and cancer

fzappa13

If you can't answer that question by now you have not been paying attention.

ellie.jpg

Great pic ...

possible subtitles:

Thus far and no further?

Belly rubs?

Excuse me ... I had the right of way ...?

I need to see some I.D. ... ?

Kiss my gene superiority?

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
What elephants can teach scientists about fighting cancer in humans

2) If God created all this, why would He give elephants extra cancer-fighting genes, but not His special creation, humans?

For the same reason he gave us brains, which accounts for why there are billions of human beings all over the planet, as well as in space and have been on the Moon. Whilst the number of elephants is tiny and they are limited in their environments.

It also accounts for why humans are able to build theme parks and why elephants can't.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
mmmm ... let's see ... elephants don't eat at McDonald's, they aren't required to endure mandatory vaccinations, they don't drink chlorinated or fluoridated water ... need I go on?
Yeah... and when is the last time you saw an elephant smoking a pack of Marlboros? :cigar:

Although I have seen an Elephant push a camel around.

Lon

The responses in this thread. :sigh:

OP: I thought the article was cool. Great post.

:nono: Not sure why you'd suggest as much. You were, perhaps, looking for confirmation bias. That is a 'scientific' concern and expression, not a theological one and you 'should' be avoiding it.

Lon

WARNING: Low bridge

"I told you to watch the road!"

"I must have taken that wrong left-turn at Albuquerque"

"See! I told you the GTI would hold the weight!"

"I told you they were color blind...."

"What was that?"
-"I have no idea."

"I didn't really think he'd literally 'never forget!?' He was like 6 months old at the time!"

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
:nono: Not sure why you'd suggest as much. You were, perhaps, looking for confirmation bias. That is a 'scientific' concern and expression, not a theological one and you 'should' be avoiding it.

I wasn't looking for anything. I came to this thread to read the OP, and what I found in the comments spurred my comment. I try not to have a conclusion already in mind when I'm looking at something new. :up:

Jose Fly

once again just observations viewed from evolution perspective

Yep, observations that produce real, tangible results.

he also didn't give us a trunk for a nose or tusks

So we just don't need cancer-preventing genes? :idunno:

evolutionist opinion

Back up by the data.

every time ?

This time.

the knowledge of it is new
less junk DNA everyday

You're not making sense.

Why would you expect evolutionist observations from AiG or ICR

Geez, think for a second. If evolution isn't true and creationism is, why are evolutionists always the ones making these discoveries under their framework, while creationism hasn't contributed a single thing to our scientific understanding in over a century?

Last edited:

Jose Fly

mmmm ... let's see ... elephants don't eat at McDonald's, they aren't required to endure mandatory vaccinations, they don't drink chlorinated or fluoridated water ... need I go on?

You missed the point. Elephants would be able to do things like that and get cancer at lower rates than us, because they have extra copies of the gene that fights cancer. Apparently God wanted us to get cancer more than elephants.

Jose Fly

Not really, imho, just that elephants have cells we don't. Evolution? Not really much of a need here. What you have is, an evolutionary biology conference that sparked the study. Other than that, whatever a scientist's conviction, the results should be the same.

You didn't read the paper, did you? There's a reason why the discovery of the genes was presented at an evolutionary biology conference; it was made while working under an evolutionary framework.

Well, you don't read your Bible. I can answer questions all day long, but why do you want all your information second hand???

I notice how you didn't answer the question.

It is an example of 'more' scientific knowledge discovery. It isn't as interesting 'that' they have extra, but more important to understand why they don't have the same problems. Science can give us details and scripture helps explain why elephants have more than humans.

And "scripture's answer" for this is......?

$$$ mostly. I don't have the funds to do that kind of research

Creationist organizations have all sorts of money to build museums, theme parks, go on speaking tours, go on TV, etc. Yet when it comes to doing actual productive science, suddenly their coffers are empty?

Yeah right. :rolleyes:

BUT there are often Christians involved in these. Your 'us/them' mentality isn't what you think it is.

Except those Christians would be working under an evolutionary framework, which is the point. If creationism is the more accurate framework, why hasn't it contributed anything to science in the last century?

Last edited:

fzappa13

You missed the point. Elephants would be able to do things like that and get cancer at lower rates than us, because they have extra copies of the gene that fights cancer. Apparently God wanted us to get cancer more than elephants.

You're speculating ... which is ok, but ... it's still speculation. Guided by a preconceived notion born of questionable intent.

Jose Fly

It is confusing to hear the expression "an evolutionary understanding produced this..." So the credit is not to evolution, it is to the understanding of the scientists who want it to receive praise? That's a slippery way of putting things.

No, it means that these discoveries were made while the scientists were operating under an evolutionary framework.

In the Biblical understanding, there are reasons why the human, through a death that is the result of a rebellion, would succumb or would have weaknesses that animals might not have.

And those reasons are.......?

This is already part of the record about human longevity. It is down 90% from the period before the flood when there appears to have been different atmospheric conditions.

What does that have to do with this data?

Jose Fly

For the same reason he gave us brains, which accounts for why there are billions of human beings all over the planet, as well as in space and have been on the Moon. Whilst the number of elephants is tiny and they are limited in their environments.

It also accounts for why humans are able to build theme parks and why elephants can't.

So God didn't want us to have extra cancer fighting genes. Why not?