Dumocracy rules!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by Jefferson

The elimination of billions of dollars into the prison system which would be replaced by capital punishment, flogging and restitution would mean smaller government.
But who will watchdog all the new rules Enyartians want put in place???

Who will monitor that the scofflaws make their restitution?

:doh: I forgot about the 2 million new federal employees you fellows want to add to the government...

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Originally posted by Zakath
:doh: I forgot about the 2 million new federal employees you fellows want to add to the government...
You also forgot about all the government employees who will be kicked off the government nipple because of all the government "services" that will be privatized.

Gerald

Resident Fiend
You also forgot about all the government employees who will be kicked off the government nipple because of all the government "services" that will be privatized.
On the money front, the biggest savings could come with privatization of the military and law enforcement sectors.

BTW, the "one Judge for every ten households" amounts to a number almost half again as large as the current federal workforce...

To say nothing about all the informants and snitches that a given Judge would have to maintain...:chuckle:

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Originally posted by Gerald
BTW, the "one Judge for every ten households" amounts to a number almost half again as large as the current federal workforce...

To say nothing about all the informants and snitches that a given Judge would have to maintain
One Judge for 10 households does not require a 40 hour work week per Judge. You'd be looking at an average of maybe 1 hour per week per Judge. Additionally, these could easily be community service volunteers.

Pierre

On the money front, the biggest savings could come with privatization of the military and law enforcement sectors.

To say nothing about all the informants and snitches that a given Judge would have to maintain...:chuckle:

You don't privitize the military and law enforcement. That's part of the infrastructure. Get rid of public education, prisons, wellfare and all other forms of government subsidising. Do that, and we'd save a vast amount of money.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gerald

Resident Fiend
One Judge for 10 households does not require a 40 hour work week per Judge. You'd be looking at an average of maybe 1 hour per week per Judge. Additionally, these could easily be community service volunteers.
Oh, right. So, who is to keep legal records, the Judge?

Trust me, administration of records is more than an "hour-a-week" volunteer job.

And do you really think people will be informers and snitches out of a sense of civic duty? Many of the offenses you want execution for can only be found out by spying on people.

Consider: if I catch somebody snooping around my property unbidden, he'd better be the meter reader, or he'll be lucky to leave with all his limbs intact.

No Judge with any sense will go to bat for an informer, because if he reveals the nature of his relationship, the informer has just become useless.

Unless of course the onus is on the informer to avoid getting caught...

Zakath

Resident Atheist

We ran the numbers a couple of years ago and posted them here on TOL. Enyart's silly re-organization would actually add a significant number of federal employees.

servent101

pierre

all other forms of government subsidising.

What is the problem with government subsidizing? We live in the most prosperous nation in the world - countries that do not have government subsidizing are poor - We are all the better off for government subsidizing.

With Christ's Love

Servent101

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator

Oh, right. So, who is to keep legal records, the Judge?

Trust me, administration of records is more than an "hour-a-week" volunteer job.
For 10 households? Most judges would go an entire year with zero cases.

And do you really think people will be informers and snitches out of a sense of civic duty? Many of the offenses you want execution for can only be found out by spying on people.
It already happens every day. People with cell phones call the police to report drunk drivers.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator

We ran the numbers a couple of years ago and posted them here on TOL. Enyart's silly re-organization would actually add a significant number of federal employees.
Let's see the numbers.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

"We ran the numbers...." LOL... :D :chuckle:

Gerald

Resident Fiend
For 10 households? Most judges would go an entire year with zero cases.
Show me a Judge with zero cases and I'll show you a Judge who isn't working hard enough. Everybody has something to hide...
It already happens every day. People with cell phones call the police to report drunk drivers.
Drunk drivers present a danger to themselves and their surroundings. One doesn't have to look for them.

Adulterers and people engaging in homosexual acts or illegal drug use can only be caught if you go looking for them.

What's the point of a Godly Government™ if people simply go to greater lengths to avoid getting caught?

And they will, even if for no other reason than to tweak The Man's nose...

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Assume 290 million people (courtesy of the most recent census)

Assume households of four: 72.5 million households.

One Judge per 10 households = 7.25 million Judges, significantly larger than the current federal workforce.

QED.

:D

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by Knight

Uh.. no actually I don't.
I'm not sure you were involved then. I think it was Jefferson and another poster... my memory fails me about whom it might have been...

I did a search on "judges" but I think it may have dropped off into the bit bucket.

I'll dig around on my old hard drive to see what I can come up with...

Zakath

Resident Atheist

Assume 290 million people (courtesy of the most recent census)

Assume households of four: 72.5 million households.

One Judge per 10 households = 7.25 million Judges, significantly larger than the current federal workforce.

QED.

:D

Thanks, G.

In the 2000 Census, there were 105,480,101 households. (Average household size is 2.59 people. Lots of small households in the US.) Source

So "running the numbers" gives us 10,548,010 judges.

According to OPM, the latest public number (2003) for federal employees (excluding Dept. of Defense who wouldn't be impacted by Enyart's "plan") is about 3,366,578.

So much for cutting the federal staff...

Status
Not open for further replies.