Drugs, risky sexual behavior linked

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Risky sexual activities and non-heterosexuality have been linked with higher rates of substance abuse, a Food and Drug Administration (FDA) survey released yesterday found.
The national survey, which polled approximately 17,800 people aged between 12 and 64, was the nation’s first that concentrated primarily on drug abuse...
“The poll showed that people with substance abuse problems are 9.7 times, 10.6 times and 12.7 times more likely to have multiple sexual partners, have participated in one-night stands and have engaged in multipartner sex than those without an addiction,” NTU College of Public Health dean Chen Wei-jen (陳為堅) told a news conference...
A high occurrence rate of drug abuse is also observed among homosexual and bisexual individuals, Chen said, adding that of all the respondents who identified themselves as non-heterosexual, 7.3 percent said that they had abused substances, while just 1.9 percent said they never had the problem...

source.​

Is it surprising that there is a correlation between homosexuality and drug use?

lovemeorhateme

Risky sexual activities and non-heterosexuality have been linked with higher rates of substance abuse, a Food and Drug Administration (FDA) survey released yesterday found.
The national survey, which polled approximately 17,800 people aged between 12 and 64, was the nation’s first that concentrated primarily on drug abuse...
“The poll showed that people with substance abuse problems are 9.7 times, 10.6 times and 12.7 times more likely to have multiple sexual partners, have participated in one-night stands and have engaged in multipartner sex than those without an addiction,” NTU College of Public Health dean Chen Wei-jen (陳為堅) told a news conference...
A high occurrence rate of drug abuse is also observed among homosexual and bisexual individuals, Chen said, adding that of all the respondents who identified themselves as non-heterosexual, 7.3 percent said that they had abused substances, while just 1.9 percent said they never had the problem...

source.​

Is it surprising that there is a correlation between homosexuality and drug use?

I didn't need a study to tell me that. From my own past experience within the homosexual community, I can assure you that drug use is definitely higher than among those who are not part of that community. So is promiscuity.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If drugs were linked to guns or something, the liberals would be demanding bans. I wonder where they are now. :think:

Morpheus

You cut your quote off before it said this:

However, a cause-and-effect relationship between the prevalence of substance abuse and the above behaviors and sexual orientations remains undetermined, Chen added.
One behavior doesn't necessarily cause the other. And this is no new revelation either. And let us note that homosexuality was just a sub-set since his primary correlation was sexual promiscuity, both heterosexual and homosexual, and drug abuse. We've known for decades that drug abuse is frequently connected to depression and almost every other psychological disorder as a form of self-medication, or seeking a method of diminishing the pain. We've also known that sexual promiscuity is common with many psychological disorders for varying reasons. Sexual promiscuity doesn't cause drug abuse, and drug abuse doesn't cause sexual promiscuity; both are symptoms of deeper problems, and may frequently coexist.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned

I didn't need a study to tell me that...

Nothing new under the sun (Gen. 13:13). Let us walk properly as in the daytime, not in orgies and drunkenness, not in sexual immorality and sensuality (Ro 13:13, ESV). :plain:

"The downfall of a nation begins in idolatry; it begins in turning away from the living and true God. We would like to think that idolatry has gone out of style, that no one today in this country is bowing down to an idol. That, of course, is not true. Many a man today is worshiping the almighty dollar. Many a man worships sex. Many a man worships pleasure. May I say to you, anything that you give yourself to, anything that takes all your time or energy, anything that takes all of you is what you worship. That, my friend, is your god, that is your idol, and that is what God condemns. God says that He is a jealous God. He says, “I made you. I created you. I have redeemed you. And I want you.” When a man turns his back on God, he is doing the worst thing any man can possibly do..." The Downfall of a Nation by J. Vernon McGee

Naked Greek Boys
The Bird Cage

PureX

Of course not. Misusing drugs is risky behavior. Gambling is risky behavior. Fighting is risky behavior. Sky-diving is risky behavior. Mountain-climbing is risky behavior.

People who enjoy the feeling of danger tend to engage in all kinds of risky behavior. I had a friend who was a heroin addict. He said the reason he finally got clean was because he had become fascinated by the idea of loading the needle to the point where it might kill him when he injected it. He had become as addicted to the danger of it as he was to the drug. And he knew that sooner or later he would go too far, and die.

Addiction isn't a morality play. It's a form of mental illness.

Morpheus

Nobody said it did. :idunno:

Did you have an answer to the question?
Actually you did try and make the causal connection here.
If drugs were linked to guns or something, the liberals would be demanding bans. I wonder where they are now. :think:

And you tried to focus the thread primarily on homosexuality instead of on promiscuity in general.

To answer your irrelevant question, the correlation between homosexuality and drug abuse is of no more consequence than the correlation between a runny nose and diarrhea. The only correlation is that they are likely comorbid symptoms of the flu, while sexual promiscuity and drug abuse are comorbid symptoms of several psychological disorders. If you look at a DSM-5 disorders are diagnosed by matching, say, at least 5 out of 8, or 7 out of 9 (for example) comorbid symptoms. Those individual symptoms may appear under several disorders, but it is the correlation of multiple, present, specific symptoms that guides the therapist to the underlying cause.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Actually you did try and make the causal connection here.
Nope. "Linked" is just another word for "correlated," used in headlines because it's easier to manage.

And you tried to focus the thread primarily on homosexuality instead of on promiscuity in general.
Feel free to start your own thread and have it focus on what you want it to. :thumb:

To answer your irrelevant question.
How about you show a little respect. :up:

Morpheus

Nope. "Linked" is just another word for "correlated," used in headlines because it's easier to manage.

Feel free to start your own thread and have it focus on what you want it to. :thumb:

How about you show a little respect. :up:

Not disrespect, just pointing out the fact that the question is irrelevant to the tenuous point of the study.