Does Religion Cancel out faith?

Robert Pate

Banned
I believe that it does. Religion is not an indication of faith, religion is an indication of the absence of faith. This is why Paul wrote to the Galatians that were trying to be justified by the works of the law (religion).

"O Foolish Galatians, who bewitched you, that you should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ, has evidently set forth, crucified among you?"

"This only would I learn of you, did you receive the Holy Spirit by the works of the law (religion) or by the hearing of faith? (hearing and believing the Gospel).

"Are you so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are you now made perfect by the flesh? (religion) Galatians 3:1-3.

Christianity is not a works religion, it is a faith religion. "The Just Shall Live By Faith" Romans 1:17. The works that a Christian does is brought about by the Holy Spirit. It is a work of faith that is done out of love and gratitude for what Christ has done for them. This is what Paul meant when he wrote,

"For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God has ordained that we should walk in them" Ephesians 2:9.

Christians do not do good works to be saved, they do good works because they are saved. The religious do good works to be saved. Many are trying to be good enough to be saved. Those that have come to Christ to be saved by him are indwelt with the Holy Spirit. It is the Spirit working in their life that produces good works and the Christian life.

The religious that are void of the Holy Spirit are counting on their works or their religion to save them. This is why Jesus said...

"Not everyone that says to me, Lord, Lord, shall enter the Kingdom of heaven; but he that does the will of my Father which is in heaven ( the will of the Father is that you believe in his Son Jesus Christ).

"Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied (preached) in your name? and in your name cast out devils? and in your name done many wonderful works?"

"And then I will profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me you that work iniquity" Matthew 7:21-23.

There is only one kind of faith that saves and it is not faith in a religion. Saving faith is always faith in Christ and his Gospel. The Holy Spirit is only given to those that have forsaken their religion and trusting in Christ alone to save them.

"For he that is entered into his rest, he also has ceased from his own works (religion) as God did from his" Hebrews 4:10.

We that are saved are resting in the finished work of Christ to save us and have no confidence in the flesh (religion) Philippians 3:3.

lowellwballard

I would agree in this sense:

47. To say “I Know” is denying faith, because “faith” implies the possibility that the belief may not be true.

Also, this may be helpful:

46. Deductive logic requires inductive logic to support its premises. “Faith” is treating something that is probably true as if it is definitely true. Inductive logic is probabilistic and so requires faith.

60. Early Christians were mistaken to be atheists, indicating a lack of Christian rituals, sacred objects or “sacred spaces”.

Many times "religion" redefines the term "Faith" to mean something different.

Guyver

BANNED
Banned
I think faith is superior to religion because it involves you and God. Religion involves other people and their beliefs.