Theology Club: Does forgiveness require repentance?

Does forgiveness require repentance?

• Total voters

heir

TOL Subscriber
No. We were forgiven when God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them, when He Who knew no sin was made to be sin for us and died for our sins. God proved the sin/sins issue was settled as far as we are concerned, when He raised Christ from the dead.

beloved57

Christ gives both Repentance and Forgiveness / Remission of sins as being ones Saviour Acts 5:31

31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

But, He gives them only to Israel, His Elect from all Nations !

Danoh

I say most people don't have a clue what repentance means. Repentance is a change of mind...a turning....from UNBELIEF to BELIEF. Therefore, my answer would be YES. We must turn from serving idols to serving the true and living God. Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will receive forgiveness of sins (saved).

1 Thessalonians 1:9
For they themselves shew of us what manner of entering in we had unto you, and how ye turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God;

My own understanding is that the turning that passage is describing was motivated by, and took place after, the believing the following passage describes...

1 Thessalonians 2:13

For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.

The order is, we believe the gospel of our salvation, and then it begins to work in us to conform us to the image of Christ as we by faith turn from our old ways in obedience to the Word as to said turning from, Rom. 12:2.

Remember, these things are not always described in their chronological order, rather, according to what ever subject matter is being addressed :)

glorydaz

My own understanding is that the turning that passage is describing was motivated by, and took place after, the believing the following passage describes...

1 Thessalonians 2:13

For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.

The order is, we believe the gospel of our salvation, and then it begins to work in us to conform us to the image of Christ as we by faith turn from our old ways in obedience to the Word as to said turning from, Rom. 12:2.

Remember, these things are not always described in their chronological order, rather, according to what ever subject matter is being addressed :)

Two sides of the same coin. Repentance means we have a change of mind which is the very point at which we turn to serve God. The old military term "repent" means literally to make an about face. I don't think the evidence of our being conformed has anything to do with it. New creatures....all things are new.

Perhaps I'm missing your point, though.....

Danoh

Two sides of the same coin. Repentance means we have a change of mind which is the very point at which we turn to serve God. The old military term "repent" means literally to make an about face. I don't think the evidence of our being conformed has anything to do with it. New creatures....all things are new.

Perhaps I'm missing your point, though.....

That's what I love about truly consistent Mid-Acts brethren - we love the challenge of getting the little details just right.

In this, I'd say lets come together on that one a bit closer as to specifics - repentance means having a change of mind about your present state - upon hearing the gospel of your salvation - turning to believe it over what you had believed up to that point.

This is also the issue in Israel's aspect of the Gospel of God - the gospel of the Circumcision in their age to come - Zechariah 8:

23. Thus saith the LORD of hosts; In those days it shall come to pass, that ten men shall take hold out of all languages of the nations, even shall take hold of the skirt of him that is a Jew, saying, We will go with you: for we have heard that God is with you.

"So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God," Romans 10:17.

glorydaz

That's what I love about truly consistent Mid-Acts brethren - we love the challenge of getting the little details just right.

In this, I'd say lets come together on that one a bit closer as to specifics - repentance means having a change of mind about your present state - upon hearing the gospel of your salvation - turning to believe it over what you had believed up to that point.

This is also the issue in Israel's aspect of the Gospel of God - the gospel of the Circumcision in their age to come - Zechariah 8:

23. Thus saith the LORD of hosts; In those days it shall come to pass, that ten men shall take hold out of all languages of the nations, even shall take hold of the skirt of him that is a Jew, saying, We will go with you: for we have heard that God is with you.

"So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God," Romans 10:17.

You'll get an Amen on that. :thumb: