Docs Political POTD 1/10/07

Status
Not open for further replies.

drbrumley

My first POTD goes to WandererintheFog.

No, Brum, but your reaction shows how disconnected you are from what the reality of this country is right now, as well how long all of this has been building.

The generation that produced the founding fathers was a relatively unique one. You had a heavily literate generation of linear thinkers whose values were informed by a combination of Protestant Christianity and the beginnings of Enlightenment. This produced people who could be persuaded to fight a long, bloody war for what were essentially philosophical principles, as the "tyranny" of the British government during the colonial period absolutely pales into comparison with level of government control we find ourselves accustomed to today.

But it was a unique generation and their experiment in government began a slow process of disintegration almost as soon as it was instituted, which I would personally date to the Supreme Court decision in Marbury v. Madison.

The generations though that live today live under the level tyranny we now experience BECAUSE IT'S WHAT THEY WANT. All the screaming of the Constitutionalists will never
change this, because the populace doesn't want the responsibility of freedom. The American population has weighed freedom and security in the balance and repeatedly chosen security, and until something happens that completely breaks our current system and injures the lifestyle to which they are accustomed, they won't seek any sort of change. And even then they're likely to embrace more tyranny if it provides them security and comfort.

These are just the realities of the world we live in. So, yes, sometimes I think it better to just ignore the present situation than to sit around and gives oneself and ulcer by getting angry about something that we can't do anything to affect at the present time.
I gave him the POTD because of the bolded paragraph alone. Cause it is true.

The generations though that live today live under the level tyranny we now experience BECAUSE IT'S WHAT THEY WANT. All the screaming of the Constitutionalists will never change this, because the populace doesn't want the responsibility of freedom. The American population has weighed freedom and security in the balance and repeatedly chosen security

Good job. :up:

Context

Status
Not open for further replies.