Do you have to believe in the Trinity to be a Christian?

oatmeal

Since God, with His perfect and complete knowledge and wisdom and understanding, did not define himself by such words as trinity, triune, three in one, and so forth

I see no reason to define God by those words.

God does not define himself by such terms, because God is not defined by those terms, it is mocking God to define God by those terms

No one mocks God, what you sow, you reap

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
I believe a careful reading of scripture and the ECF's shuns that theory/theology. FTR, I have a huge problem with educated guesses of men. They are smart, but guessing can never amount to anything more. I think, men trying to understand some discrepancy and harsh bible realities embrace higher criticism as a way of coping but to me, 'man-made' coping is actually low-brow rather than 'higher' criticism. It is rationalizing as far as I'm concerned. So, in a moment of transparency and no ill-will, I'm giving you feedback as to why you are there and I am here and never will the twixt meet. It necessarily must damage your signature aspiration.

-Lon
I am a little different than most, I think. I actually crave criticism. It is one of the few ways I can learn new things. I absolutely love it when I confront new information that totally "rocks me off my beam."

So have back at me anytime. I always win by losing so you have no fear of upsetting me. But I do insist on the same rules of historical methodology that every other researcher appeals to.

But I am a pretty hard taskmaster. When it comes to religion, I tend to follow the hermeneutic of first, reading what is there. Second, finding out with a lot of study and research what the verse or passage meant to its original authors and readers (or listeners) and third (and most important) figuring out a way to let that information resonate with me navigating modern life as we know it.

I use what I call "common sense" which usually means for me to discount supernatural events, the more ostentatious miracles of Jesus. And I do not take the sacred, symbolic and metaphoric language of the Bible as literal truth.

The ancient writers of the first century--in my opinion--did not tell literal stories and we are now so smart enough that we take them symbolically. Not quite. They actually told profoundly symbolic stories and--since the Enlightenment--we are now dumb enough to take them literally.

I think you are right as criticizing some biblical scholarship as "rationalizing." In biblical criticism, we can easily get into the weeds of fundamentalism if we read the text rationally or logically.
Those ways of dealing with reality have proven pretty bankrupt at dealing with our global problems today. And, of course, religious or faith language is never logical OR rational.

It wouldn't be religious if it was.

In my opinion.

Lon

I am a little different than most, I think. I actually crave criticism. It is one of the few ways I can learn new things. I absolutely love it when I confront new information that totally "rocks me off my beam."

So have back at me anytime. I always win by losing so you have no fear of upsetting me. But I do insist on the same rules of historical methodology that every other researcher appeals to.

There is a foundational difference between men critiquing scripture and those wishing it to critique and change them. The very foundation of biblical interpretation is in incredibly stark contrast at that point.

One is man-centered and wrested. The other may be, but seeks the opposite.

But I am a pretty hard taskmaster. When it comes to religion, I tend to follow the hermeneutic of first, reading what is there. Second, finding out with a lot of study and research what the verse or passage meant to its original authors and readers (or listeners) and third (and most important) figuring out a way to let that information resonate with me navigating modern life as we know it.

The problem is conjecture. For instance, higher critics deemed that Jonah wasn't in the fish and that the story is figurative. The problem: NOTHING in the text allows for that. Nothing. Whoever came up with that idea first, did not, in fact, follow the hermeneutic you listed above. He went off on a fantasy ride and printed it as if it were gospel and I've seen you, a few times on here, offer similar fanciful offerings that go blatantly against the above hermeneutic which I indeed to applaud and embrace myself. The problem was they left the text way Way WAY before they should have been done wrestling with it. The answer to that story is likely that Jonah died. Jesus said "as Jonah" was in the fish, He'd be dead for 3 days also.
Therefore, a 'scholarly' attempt wasn't very scholastic after all and sent the liberal world spinning erroneously for want of real and clear Bible study methods.

I use what I call "common sense" which usually means for me to discount supernatural events, the more ostentatious miracles of Jesus. And I do not take the sacred, symbolic and metaphoric language of the Bible as literal truth.
It "isn't." It is common but it isn't sense. I've seen the miraculous. I don't want to get into it, but if God is God, man must not then dictate what must be. God gets that place. Why? Because "We" become God if God cannot be supernatural. We become the dictators of the mind of God. Granted we do not see many supernatural events but they are NOT metaphors. That is liberal and isolated thinking and is blatantly wrong.
It was because of doubt and rationalization that Jesus couldn't do miracles, real ones, in His own home area. IOW, you have fulfilled a self-fulfilling prophecy and will never see one (can't, you made sure of that).

The ancient writers of the first century--in my opinion--did not tell literal stories and we are now so smart enough that we take them symbolically. Not quite. They actually told profoundly symbolic stories and--since the Enlightenment--we are now dumb enough to take them literally.
:nono: Again, Jesus couldn't do miracles in His own home because the agnostics wouldn't allow it. Remember the story of Lazarus? Abraham told the rich ruler that even if one sent from the dead came to them they wouldn't believe. I have a relative who had a dream: Jesus came to him and asked him why he should get to heaven. The relative was greatly shaken but did nothing with this though he was greatly shaken. As with this man, we will EITHER dismiss this dream or accept it as a sign/dream from God. What will make the difference? I assert you and I will make the difference. Belief or denial. It depends upon who we are. Scripture says spiritual men see what is spiritual and 'rational' men will see what is rational. I'm using rational here, but I'm not certain it 'is' rational. In fact, I'm certain it is not because they are denying the very thing that exists! I

I think you are right as criticizing some biblical scholarship as "rationalizing." In biblical criticism, we can easily get into the weeds of fundamentalism if we read the text rationally or logically.
Those ways of dealing with reality have proven pretty bankrupt at dealing with our global problems today. And, of course, religious or faith language is never logical OR rational.
I disagree, as noted above. What is 'rational' is that we believe what our eyes are saying to us, even if it seems impossible. Sure, double-check, none of us want to be duped. I am ever perplexed that someone can believe God exists, as God who created everything, yet are stuck in a scientific 'finite' universe of what is possible and is not as if 'they' were the infinite ones OR that nothing but the finite can exist or work. I expect it of atheists, but it is unpalatable from one who believes in the existence of one who is Supernatural/apart from His creation in the first place. So, even though I have impetus, seeing some of these amazing works of God, I'd believe even if I hadn't simply because the logic of God's existence demands it (as far as I'm able to discern).

It wouldn't be religious if it was.

In my opinion.
Thomas was given proof. Jesus only said those who didn't have it were blessed, He didn't say it was unavailable. There are scriptures that uphold faith that isn't seen and so I do too because the ones who don't are blessed especially for their tenacity, and I think an internal must-have love and drive for the Savior, but such does indeed believe all things, hope all things. Thomas, I think was satisfied, but may have lost a bit in that transaction that the other 11 retained. Their faith was internalized.

I liken it to some of my kids, some of them internalize values better than their siblings. I think their is a better blessing for internalizing what is true because it becomes more a part of them. It is a bit off the trail, but I'm saying it is both, not either or. I believe in miracles because I have seen them.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
There is a foundational difference between men critiquing scripture and those wishing it to critique and change them. The very foundation of biblical interpretation is in incredibly stark contrast at that point.

One is man-centered and wrested. The other may be, but seeks the opposite.

The problem is conjecture. For instance, higher critics deemed that Jonah wasn't in the fish and that the story is figurative. The problem: NOTHING in the text allows for that. Nothing. Whoever came up with that idea first, did not, in fact, follow the hermeneutic you listed above. He went off on a fantasy ride and printed it as if it were gospel and I've seen you, a few times on here, offer similar fanciful offerings that go blatantly against the above hermeneutic which I indeed to applaud and embrace myself. The problem was they left the text way Way WAY before they should have been done wrestling with it. The answer to that story is likely that Jonah died. Jesus said "as Jonah" was in the fish, He'd be dead for 3 days also.
Therefore, a 'scholarly' attempt wasn't very scholastic after all and sent the liberal world spinning erroneously for want of real and clear Bible study methods.

It "isn't." It is common but it isn't sense. I've seen the miraculous. I don't want to get into it, but if God is God, man must not then dictate what must be. God gets that place. Why? Because "We" become God if God cannot be supernatural. We become the dictators of the mind of God. Granted we do not see many supernatural events but they are NOT metaphors. That is liberal and isolated thinking and is blatantly wrong.
It was because of doubt and rationalization that Jesus couldn't do miracles, real ones, in His own home area. IOW, you have fulfilled a self-fulfilling prophecy and will never see one (can't, you made sure of that).

:nono: Again, Jesus couldn't do miracles in His own home because the agnostics wouldn't allow it. Remember the story of Lazarus? Abraham told the rich ruler that even if one sent from the dead came to them they wouldn't believe. I have a relative who had a dream: Jesus came to him and asked him why he should get to heaven. The relative was greatly shaken but did nothing with this though he was greatly shaken. As with this man, we will EITHER dismiss this dream or accept it as a sign/dream from God. What will make the difference? I assert you and I will make the difference. Belief or denial. It depends upon who we are. Scripture says spiritual men see what is spiritual and 'rational' men will see what is rational. I'm using rational here, but I'm not certain it 'is' rational. In fact, I'm certain it is not because they are denying the very thing that exists! I

I disagree, as noted above. What is 'rational' is that we believe what our eyes are saying to us, even if it seems impossible. Sure, double-check, none of us want to be duped. I am ever perplexed that someone can believe God exists, as God who created everything, yet are stuck in a scientific 'finite' universe of what is possible and is not as if 'they' were the infinite ones OR that nothing but the finite can exist or work. I expect it of atheists, but it is unpalatable from one who believes in the existence of one who is Supernatural/apart from His creation in the first place. So, even though I have impetus, seeing some of these amazing works of God, I'd believe even if I hadn't simply because the logic of God's existence demands it (as far as I'm able to discern).

Thomas was given proof. Jesus only said those who didn't have it were blessed, He didn't say it was unavailable. There are scriptures that uphold faith that isn't seen and so I do too because the ones who don't are blessed especially for their tenacity, and I think an internal must-have love and drive for the Savior, but such does indeed believe all things, hope all things. Thomas, I think was satisfied, but may have lost a bit in that transaction that the other 11 retained. Their faith was internalized.

I liken it to some of my kids, some of them internalize values better than their siblings. I think their is a better blessing for internalizing what is true because it becomes more a part of them. It is a bit off the trail, but I'm saying it is both, not either or. I believe in miracles because I have seen them.
I think we start from different places.

I see the New Testament as a complex mix of real history, remembered past events, oral tradition, myth, legends and theology.
Knowing the difference between these and being able to recognize them in the Bible is important to me.

Because I get very little information from folks in the pulpits and the pews, I have had to find my own way. This fact has meant that I run up against a lot of resistance--which I understand totally.
Most Christians are totally unaware of the conclusions of researchers developed 300 years ago. I try to read the research of others who have studied theological and historical subjects all their lives.

Those that are acquainted with ancient languages and textual study and are not afraid to follow the truth wherever it leads them and can be upfront about their methodology--those are the types of people I respect as historians.

And they should also clearly communicate their conjectures for peer and public review.

StanJ

I see the New Testament as a complex mix of real history, remembered past events, oral tradition, myth, legends and theology.
Knowing the difference between these and being able to recognize them in the Bible is important to me.

Because I get very little information from folks in the pulpits and the pews, I have had to find my own way. This fact has meant that I run up against a lot of resistance--which I understand totally.
Most Christians are totally unaware of the conclusions of researchers developed 300 years ago. I try to read the research of others who have studied theological and historical subjects all their lives.

Those that are acquainted with ancient languages and textual study and are not afraid to follow the truth wherever it leads them and can be upfront about their methodology--those are the types of people I respect as historians.

And they should also clearly communicate their conjectures for peer and public review.

It's not really about what YOU see aikido, it's about truth. You have to first know and accept our God and Savior, BEFORE you can accept His written word. Rom 10:17 (NIV)

Not the experience of MOST Christians and FYI, today, we have much more info and manuscripts than EVER before.

I agree, and they are usually the ones that translate our modern English versions.

Are you saying you consider yourself a peer of a credentialed Greek scholar?

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
It's not really about what YOU see aikido, it's about truth. You have to first know and accept our God and Savior, BEFORE you can accept His written word. Rom 10:17 (NIV)

Not the experience of MOST Christians and FYI, today, we have much more info and manuscripts than EVER before.

I agree, and they are usually the ones that translate our modern English versions.

Good post

Lon

And scripture is fairly clear which is which BUT liberal theologians wrongly relegate AND QUICKLY (thus humanly and not divinly) these to categories and in my studied opinion are tragically hasty and wrong. They, in fact, build off of speculation and proceed to build upon that error. It makes a flawed house of cards. As you said, and beyond speculation, we certainly do start differently. I'm not certain of the liberal always starts off with himself as prima facie interpreter but I 'assumed' 2 Timothy 3:16 as me needing to not second-guess Him or fly on interpretation. In fact, I'd suggest that it is the liberal that most often breaks normal language rules and interpretation. Ultimately, it is bowing to rationalization and human intellect and for me, there is no point in reading scripture if we all end back at square-one: ourselves.
I grew up in a liberal United Methodist Church where this was spoonfed.
I began looking back at where it came from and a good deal of it was liberal Germans and other higher critics. As I said, I found a lot of speculation and theory which was passed off as if it were true but as I researched, just wasn't true and often completely wrong. That left me, a bit like you, but traveling in the opposite direction: Read the story and wrestle long and hard, never settle. That left me simply 'believing' the Jonah story and waiting for the explanation. As I continued to read the gospels, Jesus substantiated the story by saying, I believe, that Jonah had died. Can it have been metaphorical? If you are willing to suppose Jesus never rose from the dead, but if so, Paul tells us our Christianity is meaningless at that point and that we are to be pitied. He believed in a reasonable and reasoned faith.
There are plenty of those in fundament conservative evangelical corners.
We aren't quite as interested secular pursuits but we have plenty of these and contribute often to them. Try Bibliotheca Sacra and Westminster among many other lauded and scholarly endeavors. A good many of those who have given modern bibles came from conservative evangelical institutions because that is where the scholars were found.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame

So, you "believe" that God's written word (The Holy Bible) is seasoned with mythology, and legends? Do you believe the
Bible was inspired by God? Or, is it filled with myths and legends as you have added in your post?

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
The theological understanding of the Trinity has always been difficult and highly problematic.

"Arianism" was a movement within the early Christian Church that interpreted Christ as the literal "Son of God'' and was denounced by the Council of Nicene in 325 AD.

Accepting the "Arianism" interpretation would mean that Christians would now believe in lesser deity, created by the God worshiped by the Jews.

Even today the average Christian would define Christ as the "Son of God" and would be hard pressed to explain why He, indeed, was never created by God.

Although most Christians believe in the Trinity, the nature of the relationship between God the Father and God the Son is poorly articulated.

Begotten of God...not created. It makes all the difference in the world.

Who can 'splain the mystery? that God would impregnate a virgin? for that is what it is, We are sure He by-passed the natural way so there is no need for any lurid interpretation.

But in saying He begot simply means He begot of Himself which means that which was begotten of Him is of the very same essence with Himself...in other words God.

If Adam or Joseph had begotten Christ then would Christ only have been a man. His manhood was drawn from the woman.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
When has the majority every been right?

Gen 6:8 But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD.

Gen 12:2 I will make you a great nation; I will bless you and make your name great; and you shall be a blessing.

Deu 7:7 "The LORD did not set His love on you nor choose you because you were more in number than any other people, for you were the least of all peoples;

Rom 11:4 But what does the divine response say to him? "I have reserved for Myself seven thousand men who have not bowed the knee to Baal."

1 Kings 19:18 "Yet I have reserved seven thousand in Israel, all whose knees have not bowed to Baal, and every mouth that has not kissed him."

You are kidding those who truly believe that Jesus Christ is truly God is the tiny minority in the world.

"He was in the world and the world was made by Him but the world knew Him not"

You are with the world, the overwhelming majority

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
I have never studied unitarian nor arians so I do not understand those beliefs. What I have done my whole life is read the bible. I learned about God and and his son who is the son of God. It is a very simple concept. Anything else is not simple. A simple search on Google finds the verse Son of God more then 26 times in the KJV Bible.

1 Cor 14:33 For God is not the author of confusion but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints.

Do YOU have a son? what is he a rabbit?

Rabbits beget rabbits
men beget men
God begot God

The term Son of God is synonymous with God, for every son is the same essentially as the father.

It was for claiming to be the Son of God that the Unitarians picked up stones to stone Him...it was for saying that He was God's Son that He was given over to the Romans.

oatmeal

Do YOU have a son? what is he a rabbit?

Rabbits beget rabbits
men beget men
God begot God

The term Son of God is synonymous with God, for every son is the same essentially as the father.

It was for claiming to be the Son of God that the Unitarians picked up stones to stone Him...it was for saying that He was God's Son that He was given over to the Romans.

Are you led by the Spirit of God?

Then who does scripture say you are?

Romans 8:14

You are a son of God. I John 3:1-2

Based on your statement

Who does that make you to be?

Well, you counted wrong.

Instead of

1. Father

2. Son

3. Holy Spirit

now you have to add

4. Totton Linnet

So you do not believe that you have to be a trinitarian to be a Christian.

You have to believe in a fournity!

Great work!

Who else subscribes to your theology and is led by the Spirit of God?

Learn to use scripture as evidence.

oatmeal

We are adopted, Christ was begotten, conceived of the Holy Ghost.

Believers are born again, not of corruptible seed, but by incorruptible, by the word of God which lives and abides forever.

I Peter 1:23

Israel was adopted, we are sons by seed.

I John 3:1-2

Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.

2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

What does it mean to be like him?

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
...that we might receive the adoption of sons....

You were not begotten of God, there has only ever been one Begotten of God. You were not conceived in a virgin's womb.

I do not believe you have yet received the Spirit of adoption, you have no knowledge of the Holy Spirit, nor do you know the true Christ.

If Christ were in you you would know Him as He is, we would be of the same family.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned

I then have to ask you how you yourself suppose you might have said how YOU see the activity of "knowing and accept[ing] our God and Savior."

How is it that you know and accept "our God and Savior"?

Is it a matter of merely giving your assent to a list of ancient theological concepts like "Son of God," "Messaih," "born of a virgin," etc.?

And how is it you are able to guess at the motives or deem another's beliefs as wrong? Especially by confronting them on an Internet website?

Next time you might just declare you are sharing your own conjectures and beliefs instead of immediately judging and labeling another person to denounce them out of hand.

Doesn't that make more sense?

As for being a credentialed scholar--no. I guess I am more a "blue collar scholar" lucky enough to live in a time when many credentialed scholars are finally letting the public in on what they have studied their entire lives.

I stand on the shoulders of giants. And these researchers have put out their conclusions for public and peer review and are unafraid to follow the truth wherever it leads them. They are all cognizant of ancient languages, ancient customs, first-century politics, economics, religious matters, and cultural contexts. They are truly opening up a wholly new phase in the study of Jesus.

Although many of these scholars are committed Christians, Jews and even Muslims they still follow the scientific methodology of historical study and do not usually let their personal beliefs interfere with an objective look at history.

I grew up with belief. My parents were both religious and I was steeped in personal and community beliefs because that's just the way I was raised. I began to explore the true sense of biblical study when I began to try and understand the motive and original meaning behind the Bible.

That was probably when I began to journey on a different path. I became obsessed with honest data, real evidence and real facts that provide the necessary context for studying Scripture.