Do women have more rights than men today?

Do women have more rights than men today?

• Yes

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • No

Votes: 14 82.4%
  • I dunno, duh...

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Granted, but unfortunately that's how the game is played these days.
We always have choices. We can contribute to the education and elevation of discourse or to the dumbing down and disintegration.

I say aim high.

What about the area of reproductive rights?
It's a patchwork of S.Ct. cases that establish related controls over the individual's physical integrity.

"Reproductive rights are the rights of individuals to decide whether to reproduce and have reproductive health. This may include an individual's right to plan a family, terminate a pregnancy, use contraceptives, learn about sex education in public schools, and gain access to reproductive health services."

Do you consider these things "rights"?
In relation to my above point. It's a mixed bag. For instance, women who abuse alcohol or narcotics leading to the birth of a child damaged by that behavior can be prosecuted in many jurisdictions. I'd say the Ct. has made a serious error with regard to terminating pregnancy. There is no fundamental right to be taught sex education in schools, though it may serve a public interest. Access to reproductive health services is a bit vague and heavily qualified in the particular.

But ultimately most of that falls under a person's right to, within qualifiers, have the freedom of their own person. The particulars that differentiate between gender tend to follow biological lines and not an attempt to make for an uneven field. So a man, who can't become pregnant, assume the risks associated with pregnancy to his person cannot enforce his will in the matter on a woman who can.

So no, ultimately there aren't more rights for women, no matter how thinly we slice the term, there are only rights that pertain to biological distinctions involved in our relative autonomy over what happens with our own person.

PureX

Meritocracy means the best qualified person for the job ought to have it.
Keeping in mind that each job has its own qualifications and each situation has its own necessities.
Well, I think you're using the term too narrowly, then. Wikipedia defines meritocracy as

"a political philosophy which holds that power should be vested in individuals almost exclusively according to merit. Advancement in such a system is based on performance measured through examination and/or demonstrated achievement in the field where it is implemented."​

But regardless…

The real problem with the term/ideal of "meritocracy" is that it doesn't define anything essential; i.e., the basis for the determination of merit. And therein hides the bias, the bigotry, the irrationality, and the harm.

When this nation was being formed, it was commonly believed that male, white, educated, and wealthy land-owners were the embodied definition of "merit". And so they, and they alone, were presumed to have the right to control the levers of politics, the economy, and of social order. These men defined merit based on themselves, exclusively, and so have maintained control over the lives and well-being of everyone in this country, and of many others around the world, ever since. Yet their definition of merit doesn't really merit that kind of exclusive power and influence, because in truth, those men were and are no more intelligent, ethically grounded, morally magnanimous, or self-aware than anyone else in our society is. And a great deal of unfair, unjust, and unnecessary suffering has resulted for a great many human beings (but not to the meritocrats, of course) because of it.

And this kind of self-centered bias infects nearly everyone's concept of "merit" because nearly everyone is using their own goals and aspirations as their criteria for merit. The primary goal of a commercial business in a capitalist system, for example, is to make money for the capital investors. So what do you think will be the criteria for 'merit' in that business? It will be one's ability to make the investors money, of course. Thus one CEO gets paid millions of dollars while thousands of his employees struggle to survive on their meager wages because he used his presumed "merit" to gain as much compensation for himself as he could, by denying as much compensation as possible to everyone else. And he is rewarded for this selfish greed, because of the definition of 'merit' in capitalist business enterprise is based on selfishness and greed. (There is little actual 'merit' in this outcome, however, except for the capital investors and the CEO.)

The point is that 'merit' will always be defined by those in power, and that definition will then be used to keep them in power. And this is why conservatives like the idea of 'meritocracy' so much; because the fundamental drive of the conservative's nature is to maintain the status quo. And this concept of "meritocracy" is a powerful and time-honored excuse to do exactly that.

bybee

Well, I think you're using the term too narrowly, then. Wikipedia defines meritocracy as

"a political philosophy which holds that power should be vested in individuals almost exclusively according to merit. Advancement in such a system is based on performance measured through examination and/or demonstrated achievement in the field where it is implemented."​

But regardless…

The real problem with the term/ideal of "meritocracy" is that it doesn't define anything essential; i.e., the basis for the determination of merit. And therein hides the bias, the bigotry, the irrationality, and the harm.

When this nation was being formed, it was commonly believed that male, white, educated, and wealthy land-owners were the embodied definition of "merit". And so they, and they alone, were presumed to have the right to control the levers of politics, the economy, and of social order. These men defined merit based on themselves, exclusively, and so have maintained control over the lives and well-being of everyone in this country, and of many others around the world, ever since. Yet their definition of merit doesn't really merit that kind of exclusive power and influence, because in truth, those men were and are no more intelligent, ethically grounded, morally magnanimous, or self-aware than anyone else in our society is. And a great deal of unfair, unjust, and unnecessary suffering has resulted for a great many human beings (but not to the meritocrats, of course) because of it.

And this kind of self-centered bias infects nearly everyone's concept of "merit" because nearly everyone is using their own goals and aspirations as their criteria for merit. The primary goal of a commercial business in a capitalist system, for example, is to make money for the capital investors. So what do you think will be the criteria for 'merit' in that business? It will be one's ability to make the investors money, of course. Thus one CEO gets paid millions of dollars while thousands of his employees struggle to survive on their meager wages because he used his presumed "merit" to gain as much compensation for himself as he could, by denying as much compensation as possible to everyone else. And he is rewarded for this selfish greed, because of the definition of 'merit' in capitalist business enterprise is based on selfishness and greed. (There is little actual 'merit' in this outcome, however, except for the capital investors and the CEO.)

The point is that 'merit' will always be defined by those in power, and that definition will then be used to keep them in power. And this is why conservatives like the idea of 'meritocracy' so much; because the fundamental drive of the conservative's nature is to maintain the status quo. And this concept of "meritocracy" is a powerful and time-honored excuse to do exactly that.

Okay! In a company one has job descriptions. In the hiring process one selects the person best suited to perform the duties contained therein. For instance an LPN cannot apply for nor qualify for an RN position.
That is my narrow definition of merit based qualifying. You are correct I did use the term "Meritocracy" incorrectly.
A thousand wallowing I am so sorry your Highness!:chuckle:

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
All you have to do is look up and study all the poll numbers which compare both genders as far as public policy and cultural assumptions are concerned.

rexlunae

I would say that they have the same rights. But there are a few differences that necessarily arise from the circumstances of how those rights are applied. See below.

Right to genital integrity (re: circumcision)

I am not a fan of circumcision in any case, and I think that ideally all children would be afforded the right to decide in their own case if it's right for them at an age when they can understand the choice. However, I also acknowledge that the practice is far more harmful to girls (it really isn't quite the same procedure given the anatomical differences), and the procedure is arguably beneficial for boys. So, I think this is a case where the same right doesn't lead to exactly the same conclusion.

Right to vote without conceding to the draft

Sure, I'd agree with that. I'd also say that the military needs to catch up with the times. I'm not sure if there should be selective service registration requirements, but whatever they are should be uniform regardless of gender.

Right to choose parenthood (and, indeed, all reproductive rights - men have none)

To a point. Both men and women have a right to control their own bodies. However, since it is women who carry babies, and not men, they do have a naturally asymmetric amount of control in the early stages.

Right to be assumed caregivers of children

Yes.

Right to call unwanted, coerced sex rape

Yep. Positive consent FTW.

PureX

Okay! In a company one has job descriptions. In the hiring process one selects the person best suited to perform the duties contained therein. For instance an LPN cannot apply for nor qualify for an RN position.
But you're still missing the point. The people deciding what has merit are simply using the idea of merit to advance their own interests. So really, all a "meritocracy" is, is self-interest justifying itself, and thereby disqualifying equanimity. Which has very little actual merit as an ideological act, for anyone but those who control it.

glorydaz

Can we agree that men and women do indeed have equal rights, using the legal definition of the term?

As for the more common (and incorrect) use of the term, I offered my five "rights" as much as anything to establish I'm prepared to accept using the term in that way. People do tend to use an often ridiculously inflated use of "rights" in debates like these. That doesn't bother me.

Aside from the legal, which TH, made pretty clear, I agree that women have more rights as far as the unborn child. I hate it that fathers can not put a stop to having their child aborted by it's mother.