Discord over cakes continues

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
In the article posted the link provided Bill Jack went into the Azucar bakery in Denver and asked for two cakes with the following verses on them.

I requested two cakes, each in the shape of an open Bible. On the first cake I requested on one page, ‘God hates sin — Psalm 45:7,’ and on the facing page, ‘Homosexuality is a detestable sin — Leviticus 18:22.’

On the second cake I requested on one page, ‘God loves sinners,’ and on the facing page, ‘While we were yet sinners Christ died for us – Romans 5:8.’ I also requested a decoration of two groomsmen holding hands with a cross in the background with a ghostbusters symbol over it to illustrate that such a union is unacceptable biblically.”

The bakery denied his request and reported told the Colorado Civil Right Division that Jack has requested a cake that said "God Hates Gays". The court supported the bakery's decision. Jack denies this accusation.
Jack in in the process of appealing this decision saying “hypocrisy and unequal treatment before the law.”
At the root of this controversy is this issue: Does a business have to create something that violates the conscience of its owners? It is discrimination to be forced to create messages or bake wedding cakes that violate one's conscience?

If gay people wants to refuse to put ‘hateful’ messages on something, they should have that right.
If Muslims want to refuse putting cartoons of Muhammad on a poster, they should have that right.
If black Americans want to refuse putting images of the KKK on materials, they should have the right to do that.
If Christians who disagree with gay marriage don’t want to endorse messages that support it, they should have that right.

source--->Court Sides With Baker Who Denied A Christian Customer Bible Verses Be Written on Cakes

Last edited by a moderator:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If gay people wants to refuse to put ‘hateful’ messages on something, they should have that right.
If Muslims want to refuse putting cartoons of Muhammad on a poster, they should have that right.
If black Americans want to refuse putting images of the KKK on materials, they should have the right to do that.
If Christians who disagree with gay marriage don’t want to endorse messages that support it, they should have that right.

That is as it should be ...

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Declining to put a hate based message on a cake is not the same as refusing to serve members of a minority

Hatred is "ALL GAYS SHOULD DIE!"
A cake stating "God blesses traditional marriage" is not hatred.

People really need to learn the difference.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Was "God blesses traditional marriage" requested for the cake?

Nope ... according to the article Sherman posted, the messages being requested were:

‘God hates sin — Psalm 45:7,’ and ‘Homosexuality is a detestable sin — Leviticus 18:22.’

How can these quality as hate based messages?

TracerBullet

Nope ... according to the article Sherman posted, the messages being requested were:

‘God hates sin — Psalm 45:7,’ and ‘Homosexuality is a detestable sin — Leviticus 18:22.’

How can these quality as hate based messages?

What was the intent of these messages? Love?

TracerBullet

In March of 2014, a customer named Bill Jack requested several cakes in the shapes of Bibles from the Azucar Bakery in Denver, Colo., according to the bakery owner, Marjorie Silva.

Silva says Jack pulled out a piece of paper with phrases like "God hates gays" and requested her to write them on his cakes.

He wouldn't let employees make a copy of the paper and would not read the words out loud

she offered to bake the cake and sell extra frosting to Jack so that he could write whatever he wanted

USA Today

Daniel1611

I'm sick of people with their stupid cakes. You have homos crying about not getting a wedding cake. Go give someone else your money and they'll make it for you.

I'm tired of the bakers pretending they're martyrs for saying "We love homos, we just don't want to make them a cake because we believe in the Bible." Is that what the Bible says? Does it say don't make homos a wedding cake? No. If you want to stand up for what the Bible says about this issues, then have the guts to say what the Bible says.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I'm sick of people with their stupid cakes. You have homos crying about not getting a wedding cake. Go give someone else your money and they'll make it for you.

I'm tired of the bakers pretending they're martyrs for saying "We love homos, we just don't want to make them a cake because we believe in the Bible." Is that what the Bible says? Does it say don't make homos a wedding cake? No. If you want to stand up for what the Bible says about this issues, then have the guts to say what the Bible says.
Can you tell anyone what the Bible does say?

Christian Liberty

Declining to put a hate based message on a cake is not the same as refusing to serve members of a minority

Hatred is "ALL GAYS SHOULD DIE!"
A cake stating "God blesses traditional marriage" is not hatred.

People really need to learn the difference.

True.

Can you tell anyone what the Bible does say?

I don't think that any of the Bible-verses that are against homosexuality preclude the Christian from showing love to the sinner while refusing to endorse their immorality.

What the government should or shouldn't do to punish homosexual behavior isn't really relevant here.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I don't think that any of the Bible-verses that are against homosexuality preclude the Christian from showing love to the sinner while refusing to endorse their immorality.

What the government should or shouldn't do to punish homosexual behavior isn't really relevant here.
Completely irrelevant to why I asked him the question.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Christendom used to fight big battles. Now it's down to florists and baked goods. Sad commentary.

Didn't you guys used to complain about people deliberately picking fights with businesses just to sue them? Seems like you don't have an issue if it's one of your own.