Did the Libtards not expect a backlash???

rexlunae

Right Divider

Body part
By voting for candidates the majority despises. The Republicans control the House, the Senate, the White House, all with fewer votes than the Democrats got, and so they get their way. It has to stop. And we're going to stop it in due time.
The Electoral College is not party based. It's time that you stop spouting nonsense.

Dude, pay some attention.
I have been. That how I know that you are immensely confused and unable to use logical reasoning.

You are mistaken about that. The United States is constitutionally a democratic republic. We are a federal democratic representative republic, i.e., we are constituted of legally distinct political entities which hold the actual voting, we hold popular elections to choose people to represent us, and we have no person who acts as monarch. These different aspects of our system of government are complimentary, and all essential.
You are confused to think that our form of government is or should be DIRECTLY democratic as a single state. We are a confederation of states and NOT a single state.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The Electoral College is not party based. It's time that you stop spouting nonsense.

I have been. That how I know that you are immensely confused and unable to use logical reasoning.

You are confused to think that our form of government is or should be DIRECTLY democratic as a single state. We are a confederation of states and NOT a single state.
m1257.gif

rexlunae

That has nothing to do with what I said. Try again.

I've found that when your opponent is talking about you instead of the issue at hand, it is usually because they are out of their depth.

I haven't argued for direct democracy or for abolishing federalism, and the fact that you see to think that I have leads me to suspect you don't know what those things are. Having a president at all is not direct democracy, and it cannot be. It is representative democracy. Or, in the case of the electoral college, completely undemocratic insanity.

ClimateSanity

Paul Genova did not write this poem. One of his readers did. The writer was giving an explanation for the existence of the trump voter. These sentiments match those of the average trump voter in my mind. That's very accurate to me.

The writer identifies "you" as the people who have largely held political and cultural power since LBJ. I already described who US is.

I fail to understand how the description of the forming of a political movement can be called playing the victim card.

Giving the reasons for why you vote as you do is hardly playing any card at all. Someone playing the victim card uses his idea of being a victim to achieve a political goal. For an example of that, look at any speech given by a progressive who is using some class of people as oppressed who need a remedy....usually money.

Everytime a progressive uses identity politics to get something done for a group of voters who are beholden to them, they play the victim card.

Right Divider

Body part
I haven't argued for direct democracy or for abolishing federalism, and the fact that you see to think that I have leads me to suspect you don't know what those things are. Having a president at all is not direct democracy, and it cannot be. It is representative democracy. Or, in the case of the electoral college, completely undemocratic insanity.
You seemed to be complaining the president is not elected by popular vote. The Electoral College was put in place explicitly for the purpose of NOT electing the president by popular vote. It is an exceptionally good idea that keeps the election of the president distributed among the states and NOT simply by the population at large.

Once AGAIN, it's the United STATES and NOT the United STATE.

rexlunae

You seemed to be complaining the president is not elected by popular vote.

Yes. And that has nothing to do with direct democracy.

The Electoral College was put in place explicitly for the purpose of NOT electing the president by popular vote.

Well, you couldn't very well use the popular vote when you have the non-voting slave population to account for. That's the most obvious need for such a contrivance. The authors of the Federalist papers would have you believe that the intention was to allow for a final check on the passions of the masses, but this has simply never occurred in the entire history of the Republic. At best, it's broken. More likely, it's an insincere fig leaf for a vital component of the slave power.

It is an exceptionally good idea that keeps the election of the president distributed among the states and NOT simply by the population at large.

I guess I don't see the virtue in that. Unless you happen to be in the minority that finds itself empowered. Since the year 2000, Republicans have won 3 of the 5 presidential election, but only had the more popular candidate one time. It's pretty obvious why they like that arrangement, but it's not at all obvious to me why people who aren't Republicans would agree to be ruled this way.

The President rules as the President of all Americans, not the president of the states. He enacts policies that impact all Americans directly, not just states.

The Framers of the Constitution we're very much the colonial and post-revolutionary elite. They trusted the elites, and they weren't sure if they trusted their fellow citizens. They weren't even really sure if this whole idea of people ruling themselves would work out. Looking back now, with a couple of centuries of more history as a guide, I have a lot more confidence in my fellow Americans than I do in the broad wisdom of cloistered elites. And the irony is that Trumpism is mostly styled as anti-elite, whereas it really represents a reentrenchement of the traditionally powerful in the face of the forces that would bring change.

Once AGAIN, it's the United STATES and NOT the United STATE.

Not a correction that addresses any concern I've raised.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
"US" by Paul Genova

(Mr. Paul Genova has been President and Chief Operating Officer of Wireless Telecom Group Inc. since June 30, 2016.

"I haven't said too much about this election since the start...but this is how I feel....

I'm noticing that a lot of people aren't graciously accepting the fact that their candidate lost.

In fact you seem to be posting even more hateful things about those who voted for Trump.

Some are apparently "triggered" because they are posting how "sick" you feel about the results.

How did this happen you ask? Well here is how it happened!

You created "us" when you attacked our freedom of speech.

You created "us" when you attacked our right to bear arms.

You created "us" when you attacked our Christian beliefs.

You created "us" when you constantly referred to us as racists.

You created "us" when you constantly called us xenophobic.

You created "us" when you told us to get on board or get out of the way.

You created "us" when you attacked our flag

You created "us" when you took God out of our schools.

You created "us" when you confused women's rights with feminism.

You created "us" when you began to emasculate men.

You created "us" when you decided to make our children soft.

You created "us" when you decided to vote for progressive ideals.

You created "us" when you attacked our way of life.

You created "us" when you decided to let our government get out of control.

You created "us" the silent majority

You created "us" when you began murdering innocent law enforcement officers.

You created "us" when you lied and said we could keep our insurance plans and our doctors

You created "us" when you allowed our jobs to continue to leave our country.

You created "us" when you took a knee, or stayed seated or didn't remove your hat during our National Anthem.

You created "us" when you forced us to buy health care and then financially penalized us for not participating.

And we became fed up and we pushed back and spoke up.

And we did it with ballots, not bullets.
With ballots, not riots.
With ballots, not looting.
With ballots, not blocking traffic.
With ballots, not fires, except the one you started inside of "us"

"YOU" created "US"."

EXCELLENT!

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
color-elect-col-web.jpg

The American public has been operating under the illusion that it was their votes that decided who becomes President - not the bureaucratic machinations of the Electoral College!

Why don't YOU try and change that single-handedly? Go for it. Stop "Bellyaching" and just, do something. We have faith in you. Well, not really, however, I'll bet you felt good about yourself for at least a split-second, right?

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
...by ensuring the tyranny of the minority.

Look, I think it's pretty obvious that the minority can only rule for so long. Eventually, something is going to change. You haven't posted even a remotely convincing justification for letting the minority rule, so I'm kinda done with you.

Does that mean his life is over now that you're "done with him?" Whoa, you must think you're pretty important?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
"US" by Paul Genova
(Mr. Paul Genova has been President and Chief Operating Officer of Wireless Telecom Group Inc. since June 30, 2016.
crying.jpg

Poor little privileged snowflake...

Right Divider

Body part
Yes. And that has nothing to do with direct democracy.
Popular vote is direct democracy.

Well, you couldn't very well use the popular vote when you have the non-voting slave population to account for. That's the most obvious need for such a contrivance. The authors of the Federalist papers would have you believe that the intention was to allow for a final check on the passions of the masses, but this has simply never occurred in the entire history of the Republic. At best, it's broken. More likely, it's an insincere fig leaf for a vital component of the slave power.
That is one of the most ridiculous comments that I've ever seen on TOL.

I guess I don't see the virtue in that. Unless you happen to be in the minority that finds itself empowered. Since the year 2000, Republicans have won 3 of the 5 presidential election, but only had the more popular candidate one time. It's pretty obvious why they like that arrangement, but it's not at all obvious to me why people who aren't Republicans would agree to be ruled this way.
I don't care which of the parties it is.

The President rules as the President of all Americans, not the president of the states. He enacts policies that impact all Americans directly, not just states.
And yet the country is a confederation of states and NOT a single state.

The Framers of the Constitution we're very much the colonial and post-revolutionary elite. They trusted the elites, and they weren't sure if they trusted their fellow citizens. They weren't even really sure if this whole idea of people ruling themselves would work out. Looking back now, with a couple of centuries of more history as a guide, I have a lot more confidence in my fellow Americans than I do in the broad wisdom of cloistered elites. And the irony is that Trumpism is mostly styled as anti-elite, whereas it really represents a reentrenchement of the traditionally powerful in the face of the forces that would bring change.
Well too bad for you.

Not a correction that addresses any concern I've raised.
Again, too bad for you.

Last edited:

rexlunae

Popular vote is direct democracy.

No it is not. Direct democracy is when the electorate vote directly on policy matter. An example of direct democracy in the United States is a ballot initiative, which some states allow. A president represents the people who elected her or him, thus it is an institution of representative democracy. What we do now is representative democracy through a level of indirection, which leads to results that are plainly undemocratic. It doesn't even really represent the states.

I'm not going to respond to the things you posted like this that don't really address anything:
That is one of the most ridiculous comments that I've ever seen on TOL.

I don't care which of the parties it is.

Well too bad for you.

Again, too bad for you.

And yet the country is a confederation of states and NOT a single state.

The United States has its own legislature, courts, taxation authority, treasury, president, and system of laws that are unilaterally enforceable against states. And current jurisprudence is that the states cannot freely leave the Union. The confederation of states ended with the ratification of the current Constitution in the 1780s. The line between a confederation of states and a federal republic isn't real clearly defined, but the United States is pretty clearly on the federal republic side of it.

Last edited:

Right Divider

Body part
No it is not. Direct democracy is when the electoral vote directly on policy matter. An example of direct democracy in the United States is a ballot initiative, which some states allow. A president represents the people who elected her or him, thus it is an institution of representative democracy. What we do now is representative democracy through a level of indirection, which leads to results that are plainly undemocratic. It doesn't even really represent the states.
Nicely conflated. Using popular vote to elect the president would be direct democracy in regard to ELECTING THE PRESIDENT.

There was a reason for that and it still exists. That you will probably never understand that is your problem.

rexlunae

Nicely conflated. Using popular vote to elect the president would be direct democracy in regard to ELECTING THE PRESIDENT.

There was a reason for that and it still exists. That you will probably never understand that is your problem.

:rotfl:

We also directly elect our representatives in Congress. Does that mean it is direct democracy.

I've compiled for you a reading list, if you would like to catch up. I recommend going in order:

1. An English language dictionary. Look up the word "direct". Report back.
2. Literally any article explaining that "direct democracy" actually is. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_democracy
3. Federalist Papers #68, which discusses Alexander Hamilton's ideas about how the mechanism would work. He anticipated that the electors would be highly qualified and able to exercise independent judgement. In fact, it doesn't work that way at all. In practice, they all vote for the candidate that they're pledged to support in such numbers that any faithless electors are utterly irrelevant, and in some states, they are outright illegal. You don't even vote for them by name. If, instead of electors, you simply tallied how many electors are pledged to each candidate, you'd change not a single outcome of any election in the history of the United States, and you'd barely change the tallies in the EC.

So, at best, the institution is inoperative as envisioned.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
"US" by Paul Genova

"I haven't said too much about this election since the start...but this is how I feel....

I'm noticing that a lot of people aren't graciously accepting the fact that their candidate lost.

In fact you seem to be posting even more hateful things about those who voted for Trump.

Some are apparently "triggered" because they are posting how "sick" you feel about the results.

How did this happen you ask? Well here is how it happened!

You created "us" when you attacked our freedom of speech.

You created "us" when you attacked our right to bear arms.

You created "us" when you attacked our Christian beliefs.

You created "us" when you constantly referred to us as racists.

You created "us" when you constantly called us xenophobic.

You created "us" when you told us to get on board or get out of the way.

You created "us" when you attacked our flag

You created "us" when you took God out of our schools.

You created "us" when you confused women's rights with feminism.

You created "us" when you began to emasculate men.

You created "us" when you decided to make our children soft.

You created "us" when you decided to vote for progressive ideals.

You created "us" when you attacked our way of life.

You created "us" when you decided to let our government get out of control.

You created "us" the silent majority

You created "us" when you began murdering innocent law enforcement officers.

You created "us" when you lied and said we could keep our insurance plans and our doctors

You created "us" when you allowed our jobs to continue to leave our country.

You created "us" when you took a knee, or stayed seated or didn't remove your hat during our National Anthem.

You created "us" when you forced us to buy health care and then financially penalized us for not participating.

And we became fed up and we pushed back and spoke up.

And we did it with ballots, not bullets.
With ballots, not riots.
With ballots, not looting.
With ballots, not blocking traffic.
With ballots, not fires, except the one you started inside of "us"

"YOU" created "US"."
Great Post !!!

Right Divider

Body part
:rotfl:

We also directly elect our representatives in Congress. Does that mean it is direct democracy.
  • That is at the STATE level.
  • That is a RECENT change for Senators.

I've compiled for you a reading list, if you would like to catch up. I recommend going in order:

1. An English language dictionary. Look up the word "direct". Report back.
2. Literally any article explaining that "direct democracy" actually is. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_democracy
3. Federalist Papers #68, which discusses Alexander Hamilton's ideas about how the mechanism would work. He anticipated that the electors would be highly qualified and able to exercise independent judgement. In fact, it doesn't work that way at all. In practice, they all vote for the candidate that they're pledged to support in such numbers that any faithless electors are utterly irrelevant, and in some states, they are outright illegal. You don't even vote for them by name. If, instead of electors, you simply tallied how many electors are pledged to each candidate, you'd change not a single outcome of any election in the history of the United States, and you'd barely change the tallies in the EC.

So, at best, the institution is inoperative as envisioned.
Boo hoo.