Deputy killed in Minnesota after hospitalized suspect grabs his gun

PureX

Any suspect warranting an armed guard at the room is pretty much guilty or there is strong evidence supporting guilt, they don't do that for average suspects. My contention is he should have been strapped down at all times until safely in custody and out of the hospital.
Everyone makes mistakes. Guns make those mistakes more deadly, more often.

bybee

It's the gun that made the cop dead.
Do you think this justifies not treating suspect humanely? After all, he was only a suspect. He was not a convicted criminal.

This is always the problem for police. We citizens must be considered innocent until we are proven guilty, and yet that means that the police will have to treat guilty people as innocent people until they are proven guilty. And that's dangerous.

It's unfortunate, but it's certainly necessary. Because otherwise, the police would be our judges, juries, and executioners. And we all know what happens when societies fall into that scenario.

Sort of like the fact that now criminals and lunatics get to be our judges, our juries and our executioners?

Last edited:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It's the gun that made the cop dead.

No ... the gun was an object. The PERSON made the cop dead. He would have used his fists, a syringe, bed pan, his teeth, etc.

Anything that was available ... because that is what violent scumbags do.

PureX

He would have used his fists, a syringe, bed pan, his teeth, etc.
You don't know that. What we do know is that the gun made it very quick and easy for him to kill the cop. And none of those other methods would have.

It's not easy to kill a police officer. They fight back, and they know how. Remove the gun from the equation, and it's very likely that the cop would be alive. In fact, it's likely that the perp would never have tried to kill him if the gun was not there, and apparently a little too easy for him to get hold of.
... because that is what violent scumbags do.
If the gun wasn't there, the cop would probably be alive. You can keep inventing all sorts of silly obfuscations, but this is the bottom line.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You don't know that.

Of course "I know that". A violent person doesn't change his ways because he doesn't have access to a gun. They just become more creative.

What we do know is that the gun made it very quick and easy for him to kill the cop. And none of those other methods would have.

Right ... killing someone very quickly is MUCH worse than killing them slowly. Got it.

It's not easy to kill a police officer. They fight back, and they know how. Remove the gun from the equation, and it's very likely that the cop would be alive. In fact, it's likely that the perp would never have tried to kill him if the gun was not there, and apparently a little too easy for him to get hold of.

OR ... if the perp had been shackled and treated like the mangy dog that he was, he would have been much less likely to kill the cop as well.

If the gun wasn't there, the cop would probably be alive. You can keep inventing all sorts of silly obfuscations, but this is the bottom line.

The bottom line is the PERSON, not the weapon. IF, however, you don't feel that is the case .... ban cars. There would zero incidents of car related deaths.

Until some creative thug used their horse to pony-stomp someone to death ....

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Right, because that would be such a reasonable take-away. It is a pity the officer was armed, but that was presumably standard practice. Ideally, people handling the prisoner in a medical context would be unarmed, or at least only armed with less lethal weapons. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if there were some lapse in safety policy here.

You have got to be kidding me! You are blaming the fact that the police officer is dead on the fact that he was armed? Not on the fact that a criminal killed him?

:nono:

rexlunae

You have got to be kidding me! You are blaming the fact that the police officer is dead on the fact that he was armed? Not on the fact that a criminal killed him?

:nono:

It's a simple matter of what can be controlled and what can't. You can change security protocols by deliberation. You can't change the fact that there will be violent people who try to do horrible things like this.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
It's a simple matter of what can be controlled and what can't. You can change security protocols by deliberation. You can't change the fact that there will be violent people who try to do horrible things like this.

At best, the handgun was the material cause of the police officer's death. The efficient cause of the police officer's death was the criminal.

This has greater significance, it seems to me, in reminding us, against the stupidity of the Black Lives Matters people, that criminals are dangerous. They can and do try to kill police officers.

Maybe we should think twice, maybe even thrice or more, before we criticize a police officer for using lethal force.

In fact, the fact is, had it happened differently, i.e., had the police officer been forced to shoot the criminal, people would be up in arms about this: "He shot an unarmed suspect who was in a hospital bed? That monster!"

It's positively ridiculous.

rexlunae

At best, the handgun was the material cause of the police officer's death. The efficient cause of the police officer's death was the criminal.

How might the situation have turned out differently if the officer had been unarmed, or only armed with less lethal tools?

fzappa13

It's not easy to kill a police officer. They fight back, and they know how.

Actually, I think this ability is more genetic. People react differently in training than in reality. I once watched a cop take three shots to put down a disabled dog at point blank range. I know that is an extreme example but in house studies of live fire situations in law enforcement show an alarmingly high rate of misses.

... and I know not to rely too heavily on TV but on those cops shows it is pretty humorous to watch some of them trying to subdue a drunk. One has to question said training at a certain point but I am not inclined to. Whether or not training is of much use in the moment depends upon the individual. Some stay cool and their training kicks in and some panic and forget to focus regardless of their training.

musterion

Since people don't kill people as often as guns do, if we ban and confiscate all guns then guns can't kill anyone. Then the number of people killing one another (by other means) will drop to some arbitrarily acceptable level. It's so simple only an idiot can't see that it'd have to work.

Do I have the logic about right?

fzappa13

How might the situation have turned out differently if the officer had been unarmed, or only armed with less lethal tools?

I'm reeeeeeeeeeeeeealy interested in your idea of what makes a tool lethal. (He said grumbling, looking around for a good old O.T. rock)

...or he could have jabbed his eyes out with a pencil ... or maybe stuffed paper in the perps cranial cavities until they became unconscious for lack of oxygen ... or ... or ...or...

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
i suspect granite, the coward, will avoid this one like the plague
I am certainly a coward when it comes to many things I confront in my life. So I can easily cop to that.

What I wanted to mention is that there were actually SEVEN armed men that surrounded Reagan when he was shot.

This just does not compute at all with the idea that if everyone is armed, we will be safe. In fact, the propensity for accidentally killing the innocent seems to be a stubborn fact of life in America.

Just my two cents. And I certainly grant you the wisdom to be carrying much more money with yourself than I do.

rexlunae

I'm reeeeeeeeeeeeeealy interested in your idea of what makes a tool lethal. (He said grumbling, looking around for a good old O.T. rock)

...or he could have jabbed his eyes out with a pencil ... or maybe stuffed paper in the perps cranial cavities until they became unconscious for lack of oxygen ... or ... or ...or...

Lethality isn't binary.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
:shut:

DJ
I don't see how making guns more easily available is going to help much. I don't think it has been working these days. I am a sensitive guy--not the only one. And maybe I take the rash of shootings too seriously.

I can empathize with the frustration and anger of the families. And I am knocked to my knees with the forgiveness offered to the racist young man who killed 9 believers. And I am heartened by a growing realization of the effectiveness of nonviolent action and protest. I saw a movie about a young Christian woman who opened her heart to a violent offender who broke into her home and held her hostage. A lot of my fellow Christians are talking about it.

Then there was the lady (one of many, many) who talked to a school shooter with his weapons and his armor and he decided to lie down on the school nurse's cot instead of carrying out his plan. He only got too close to violence after the SWAT team broke in shooting and yelling.