Cyrus Christ

erethnereh

Interesting input. Do you remember the name of the extra-biblical work?
Hmm, this is what one of my history professors a while back told me. Josephus, book 11 chapter 1, says Cyrus wrote of his dream, but I was really hoping to find something non-Jewish.

drbrumley

Jews didn't say the Almighty is not a man. The Almighty did.

But God can do WHATEVER he wants however He sees fit. Right?

Goose

Brumley,

I don't look at reading Hebrew as a badge of honor, but it is honorable and a good thing. Can you please get back to the original topic please? You have the power to start another thread concerning another topic.

Goose

Originally posted by drbrumley

Jews didn't say the Almighty is not a man. The Almighty did.

But God can do WHATEVER he wants however He sees fit. Right?
It seems that way. But that doesn't mean he will do everything he can possibly do. Again, start your own thread on the subject if you're interested in posting about another topic. I'm interested in Cyrus Christ, and that's what this thread is for.

drbrumley

I did that Goose.

Let me repost it.

Bottom line is this Goose. Anybody can be called a messiah in some form or fashion, but there is only one. God himself. In the form of a man He became. Whether the Jews like it or not is not my problem. Why the Jews can't understand thier own book is not my problem either.

One Eyed Jack

Re: Cyrus Christ

Originally posted by Goose
I'd like to hear what people think about that part of the verse. What does an "anointed" one(Meshiakh) do? What is their job?

Well, an "anointed one" is usually a prophet (who makes prophecies), a priest (who preaches), or a king (who rules). Or in Jesus' case, all three.

Chileice

Originally posted by granite1010

The possibility that the Jews understand their own scripture better than Christians do is, of course, never an option.:rolleyes:

Of course, all of the first Christians were Jews interpretting THEIR own scriptures and seeing Jesus as the fulfillment of them. It was the Jews that convinced the non-Jews of the merits of the OT in relation to the life of Christ. Without them, non-Jews would have had no interest whatsoever in ancient Jewish religious writings.

Chileice

It seems that way. But that doesn't mean he will do everything he can possibly do. Again, start your own thread on the subject if you're interested in posting about another topic. I'm interested in Cyrus Christ, and that's what this thread is for.

I am interested in YOUR interest in Cyrus as a "meshiah". The word or its derivatives is used dozens of times. Why the special interest in Cyrus? I think this verse would be of some difficulty for Jewish scholars since Cyrus was in no was a Jew nor a worshipper of YHWH. I'm not sure what you are hoping people will comment about. He was appointed by God to do a task. It shopws God's great sovereignty that he might use the actions of one who does not even follow him to bring about good for his people. Beyond that I'm not sure why all the specific interest in Cyrus.

On Fire

Originally posted by granite1010

The possibility that the Jews understand their own scripture better than Christians do is, of course, never an option.:rolleyes:

It's in their genes, right?

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Maybe the Christ of the Christian Bible is a type, or shadow? Things obviously have yet to be fully filled, reigning physical King, etc.
Are you saying that you believe someday someone else will come along and fulfill all of the propecies?

Goose

Originally posted by Turbo

Are you saying that you believe someday someone else will come along and fulfill all of the propecies?
Of course. Not everything is fulfilled, obviously. And from a Christian PoV, isn't that what Revelation is about.

Last edited:

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Goose, how do you propose anyone will be able to fulfill the timeline laid out at the end of Daniel 9? That time has already come and gone.

Goose

Unless the interpretation of Daniel, or Daniel himself is wrong, then it's already come. I don't understand your question maybe.

Also, from my knowledge, the first anointed one of Dan 9 is Cyrus. The other is Agrippa of the 1st Century, the last king of Israel. From the top of my head, that's one plausible proposition. Past that, I haven't a need to study Dan 9 in detail.