Criticizing Lawyers, Teachers & Dating

Daedalean's_Sun

these guys seem to manage ok :idunno:

amish-family.jpg

http://amishamerica.com/do-amish-visit-doctors/

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
amish (and mennonites) follow such a wide range of creeds and practices that it's really inappropriate to lump them all in under one banner

generally speaking, they don't partake of modern medicine - at least, not the ones up around here

one of the projects i hope to tackle down the road is providing health care to outlying communities like theirs :)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Doctors do not dispense good health.
Neither health nor justice are things dispensed. Rather, good health and the peaceful enjoyment of right are states to be pursued and protected. A physician uses his art to bring someone in ill health to the closest approximation of good health that he can. Similarly, the legal system and practitioners endeavor to place injured parties in as close a proximity to the state they should have enjoyed but for the malfeasance or irresponsibility of another party.

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
Similarly, the legal system and practitioners endeavor to place injured parties in as close a proximity to the state they should have enjoyed but for the malfeasance or irresponsibility of another party.
I might agree that your statement was fairly accurate once upon a time like about 70 years ago. And I think it is still true for a subset of legal practitioners. But the explosion of corporate lobbyists, attorneys elected to legislative bodies, attorneys in many other nefarious activities and those engaged in fine print marketing disclosure no longer makes your statement
universal. And you know what that means. Or surely should.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
Similarly, the legal system and practitioners endeavor to place injured parties in as close a proximity to the state they should have enjoyed but for the malfeasance or irresponsibility of another party.

how is that achieved by forcing a ten year old girl to relive the experience of being raped and having to watch her mother murdered?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I might agree that your statement was fairly accurate once upon a time like about 70 years ago.
You're simply, objectively wrong, but it's your right to be if that feels right to you...The fact is that the system works. It's imperfect, as any system will be, but the appellate record and conviction rates speak to its effectiveness and I don't know of any competing system that can match its record.

You're probably a bit like res in that regard. Lacking a breadth of exposure and experience with it you conflate the anecdotal with the rule, see an outrage or a dozen and think, "The system is broken" without understanding the volume of caseload you aren't experiencing or following even tangentially, the volume that speaks to the actual rule.

I won't go back into the particular arguments about the system, having given them prior to Stripe and understanding that a layman who feels his or her way to a conviction can't be reasoned out of it.

Arthur Brain

Doctors do dispense kidneys for transplants.

Evolutionists are determined to argue about anything to avoid a rational discussion.

Creationists are resolved to sidetrack any debate that isn't even remotely connected to evolution anyway.

Wow, irrelevant misrepresentation and soundbites are so easy...even if boring.

:yawn:

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
You're simply, objectively wrong, but it's your right to be if that feels right to you...The fact is that the system works. It's imperfect, as any system will be, but the appellate record and conviction rates speak to its effectiveness and I don't know of any competing system that can match its record.

You're probably a bit like res in that regard. Lacking a breadth of exposure and experience with it you conflate the anecdotal with the rule, see an outrage or a dozen and think, "The system is broken" without understanding the volume of caseload you aren't experiencing or following even tangentially, the volume that speaks to the actual rule.

I won't go back into the particular arguments about the system, having given them prior to Stripe and understanding that a layman who feels his or her way to a conviction can't be reasoned out of it.
Once again you assume things that are not in evidence. I have never revealed to you the extent of my involvement with the legal machinations of our society. Nor will I so there's that. Surely you would not expect me to. :idunno:

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
The fact is that the system works.

like saying a car with no brakes and a leaky gas tank "works"

thanks to your system, a murderer and rapist lives who should be dead

....conviction rates speak to its effectiveness and I don't know of any competing system that can match its record.

the soviet "justice" system had a 100% conviction rate

not sure how wise you are to base your defense of your beloved system on a metric that demonstrates its corruption

Jukia

like saying a car with no brakes and a leaky gas tank "works"

thanks to your system, a murderer and rapist lives who should be dead

the soviet "justice" system had a 100% conviction rate

not sure how wise you are to base your defense of your beloved system on a metric that demonstrates its corruption

Oh please let us know when you are leaving to live in Moscow

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Once again you assume things that are not in evidence.
Once again, you're objectively, demonstrably wrong. I actually wrote you were "probably" taking a limited experience and projecting errantly. Why you're wrong isn't particularly important to me.

I do have one suggestion for improvement. I do not believe the skill of one's lawyer should be dictated by one's financial resources.
While the rich do tend to get the best of everything you might be surprised at how many top shelf lawyers and firms do a great deal of pro bono. Even with that effort everyone won't have access to the same legal talent and that's why, in part, we have both a heavily weighted presumption in favor of defendants and a system of appeals.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Saw the following on facebook:

In a trial, a Southern small-town prosecuting attorney called his first witness, a grandmotherly, elderly woman to the stand. He approached her and asked, 'Mrs. Jones, do you know me?' She responded, 'Why, yes, I do know you, Mr. Williams. I've known you since you were a boy, and frankly, you've been a big disappointment to me. You lie, you cheat on your wife, and you manipulate people and talk about them behind their backs. You think you're a big shot when you haven't the brains to realize you'll never amount to anything more than a two-bit paper pusher. Yes, I know you.'

The lawyer was stunned. Not knowing what else to do, he pointed across the room and asked, 'Mrs. Jones, do you know the defense attorney?'

She again replied, 'Why yes, I do. I've known Mr. Bradley since he was a youngster, too. He's lazy, bigoted, and he has a drinking problem. He can't build a normal relationship with anyone, and his law practice is one of the worst in the entire state. Not to mention he cheated on his wife with three different women. One of them was your wife. Yes, I know him.'

The defense attorney nearly died.

The judge asked both counselors to approach the bench and, in a very quiet voice, said,

'If either of you idiots asks her if she knows me, I'll send you both to the electric chair"