Creation vs. Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosenritter

Because it's sealed in the blood of scientist who penned it?

Show me this scientist who sealed the minimum age of something in his blood please? Or if you'd like to cease being silly, tell me why you think the observed speed of light (which is a VELOCITY) can tell you the minimum age of something (which is a measured unit of TIME.)

Rosenritter

Because you are blind in the same way, and for the same reasons that the Jews are blind, stubborn religious pride.

Funny, I can't recall Jesus ever telling the Pharisees that they were blind because they did not listen to the philosophers of the day. Would you care to explain why you think that mandible is 1000000 years old?

Rosenritter

Goodness, you are really arguing out of ignorance here, aren't you?

Since light has a speed, then the emission of that light happened in the past compared to when you observe it. The further away the emission, then the further you are looking -- you are directly observing the past. Distant stars and galaxies emit exactly the same ratios of frequencies for their emission and absorption spectra as for substances in the lab, and since these frequencies are influenced by the speed of light you can deduce directly that the speed of light hasn't changed.

You can also see how quickly light travels at the light from a supernova or a star instability spreads out and illuminates the surrounding gas clouds. Distance divided by time equals speed. And since these objects are at different distances, you can plot how fast light was over a wide range of past dates.

And they are all the same.

Care to state the assumptions you just made in those statements? Here, I'll help you out since I anticipate that you really don't recognize the important one here. The big assumption you made is that all light has been generated by an inanimate object. If, on the other hand, much of the light was created, then your age calculations go out the window.

It so happens that Genesis says that God created the light. It doesn't say that he created the stars and then waited millions of years for the light to reach where he wanted to put the earth. If I was creating the heavens and the earth, and wanted stars to light the sky, I'd create the light between the star and the earth at the same time I created the star as well.

gcthomas

Care to state the assumptions you just made in those statements? Here, I'll help you out since I anticipate that you really don't recognize the important one here. The big assumption you made is that all light has been generated by an inanimate object. If, on the other hand, much of the light was created, then your age calculations go out the window.

It so happens that Genesis says that God created the light. It doesn't say that he created the stars and then waited millions of years for the light to reach where he wanted to put the earth. If I was creating the heavens and the earth, and wanted stars to light the sky, I'd create the light between the star and the earth at the same time I created the star as well.

Oh, so Goddidit? He made the universe look old and large: all the physical evidence points to an old and very large universe, but God only made it LOOK like that.

OK. That sounds oh so persuasive. Well done you.

redfern

During the past 6000 years, the light that has reached the earth had time to travel about 1/10 of the way across our galaxy. Not a photon from Andromeda, or any other galaxy, to say nothing of other galaxy clusters, or voids or sheets of galaxies. Kinda like you meeting the neighbor on the other side of the wall in your duplex, but never having seen anyone or anything from the building next door, or across the street, or the next neighborhood, or the next city, or county, or country.

And the light from all of the supernovae we have observed, the changes in intensity in Cepheid Variables, the HDF, the UDF, etc. – what we think we are seeing from distant galaxies is no more real than what we see at a movie theater – just make believe. Your god is a divine Steven Spielberg?

redfern

Exactly! Breeders can't tweak add novel change to a turnip to become a human,
Of course it plays much better to gullible audience to phrase it in ridiculous terms – like breeders trying to turn turnips into humans, as opposed to the small gradual changes that are actually the stuff of evolution.

The savior of evolutionists, novel change, is overwhelmingly deleterious and slowly accumulates in genomes.
What will natural selection do when those individuals that are unusually free of deleterious changes in a population compete for reproductive success with the members who are seriously burdened with deleterious changes?

Novel change leads to genetic problems.
Not always.

Selection is impotent at recognizing and removing the vast majority of these harmful 'saviors'.
You haven’t said a word about “saviors”, and now you talk about selection dealing with the oxymoron “harmful saviors”. Do you bother to proof-read what you are about to post?

Last edited:

Caino

BANNED
Banned
Show me this scientist who sealed the minimum age of something in his blood please? Or if you'd like to cease being silly, tell me why you think the observed speed of light (which is a VELOCITY) can tell you the minimum age of something (which is a measured unit of TIME.)

We apply Hubbles Law to objects observed in deep space, such as a galaxy, to determine their relative velocity (movement away from earth) by measuring Doppler shift. The Doppler shift measured velocity is proportional to their distance to earth. With the speed of light being a reliable constant we can determine how far back in time we are looking.

Last edited:

Caino

BANNED
Banned
Funny, I can't recall Jesus ever telling the Pharisees that they were blind because they did not listen to the philosophers of the day. Would you care to explain why you think that mandible is 1000000 years old?

The mandible has been tested using dating techniques (not dating like Match.com) rather dating like how old it is.

6days

redfern said:
6days said:
Exactly! Breeders can't tweak add novel change to a turnip to become a human,*as Dawkins suggests when he calls them our distant cousins.*
Of course it plays much better to gullible audience to phrase it in ridiculous terms
Uh...aren't you part of Dawkins audience?*
redfern said:
What will natural selection do when those individuals that are unusually free of deleterious changes in a population compete for reproductive success with the members who are seriously burdened with deleterious changes?
Im not sure how well you understand the process. *You and I have about 100 more mutations than our parents. (May be several hundred more). Our kids inherit all of our mutations plus another humdred or so. So.... there is no such thing as individuals being "
unusually free of deleterious changes".

So, your question should be ' What happens to individuals who have severe genetic deficiencies?' Thats fairly straight forward. *If the mutation is severe enough, they are eliminated from the gene pool..... and possibly eventual extinction of the population due to loss of variation. *

Rosenritter

We apply Hubbles Law to objects observed in deep space, such as a galaxy, to determine their relative velocity (movement away from earth) by measuring Doppler shift. The Doppler shift measured velocity is proportional to their distance to earth. With the speed of light being a reliable constant we can determine how far back in time we are looking.

If I had a candle that was observed to burn at 1 inch an hour, and we proved that for as long as we had observed candles for the past 200 years they all burned at one inch per hour, and we measure the candle to be 8 inches tall right now, how long has the candle been burning?

Your "age of the universe" equations is making an unproven assumption in order to get your data, Caino. I'm hoping that you will be both smart enough and honest enough to admit it if I make you step through it with tiny steps.

Rosenritter

The mandible has been tested using dating techniques (not dating like Match.com) rather dating like how old it is.

So someone asked the mandible "how old are you?" Or they asked to see its photo ID? Perhaps they looked underneath and found the "Made in Taiwan year in 998,000 BC" stamp? Or here, I'll bet that they arbitrarily assigned 1 million years to a rock, based on fossils that they said are 1 million years old based on the rocks they are found in, thus the skull is 1 million years old!

That's even funnier than Match.com :)

redfern

Im not sure how well you understand the process. You and I have about 100 more mutations than our parents. (May be several hundred more). Our kids inherit all of our mutations plus another humdred or so.
I appreciate the tutorial, but now it is time to move beyond Creationist Elementary School. The vast majority of mutations are in non-coding areas of the DNA, and have almost no effect on the fitness of the individual. So your 100 mutations turns into probably less than 10 that really count (except for determining things like paternity). If any of those 10 are seriously deleterious, selection will keep you from spreading that through the population.

Sexual recombination, in which you get only half of your DNA from each parent, means that often there is only a 50% chance you will inherit a specific mutation unless both of your parents already have it.

Now you say:
So.... there is no such thing as individuals being "unusually free of deleterious changes".
I can’t help it if you are ignorant of statistics. Most breeding populations have thousands, and often millions, of members, and are spread over large geographical areas. Assuming mutations arise randomly in individuals, the significant mutations that are spreading through the population tend to radiate slowly outward from the location in which the first individual with the mutation lived. The more detrimental the mutation is, the more that retards the reproductive success of those who carry it. By contrast, the (admittedly rare) beneficial mutation will spread more rapidly (that is why it is called a beneficial mutation – it is one that aids in reproductive success). That means the parts of the population that, by chance, live close to where a number of serious mutations have shown up will have a higher percentage of their members with those mutations, whereas members of the population that are more distant will have bred less with the affected group. And just like the little old lady down the street that won the lottery, sometimes pure chance will favor some members by keeping them much more free of mutational load than the others. Guess who has the most reproductive success then?

In the real world of science, these things have been studied for years. But those studies are not at the level of the silly misleading “100 mutations per generation” sound bytes that you guys have to rely on. They actually involve some pretty serious mathematics and research. For example, here is one from over 20 years ago:

Contamination of the genome by very slightly deleterious mutations: why have we not died 100 times over?

redfern

If I had a candle that was observed to burn at 1 inch an hour, and we proved that for as long as we had observed candles for the past 200 years they all burned at one inch per hour, and we measure the candle to be 8 inches tall right now, how long has the candle been burning?

Your "age of the universe" equations is making an unproven assumption in order to get your data, Caino. I'm hoping that you will be both smart enough and honest enough to admit it if I make you step through it with tiny steps.
Make me step through it with tiny steps.

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
See radiometric dating, plate tectonics, the speed of light, mountain formation, the age of the universe, the fossils we have unearthed, Cains fear of people out in the world......

Dear Caino,

What about them all? Radiometric dating is just another mistake waiting to happen, same as C-14 dating. Same with everything you've mentioned. Yes, plate tectonics, speed of light, whatever. I don't believe any of it as dating methods. Piltdown me once, carbon-14 twice, and forget it, Lucy!! I don't trust anything science has to offer as far as the age of the Universe or Earth. You might notice, Caino, that God created man when he was already old, instead of creating a baby man. In other words, God created a young man from Day 1. Same with Eve. And God creataed the animals, not all as babies, but instead older than them. The same with the critters, and creeping bugs, etc. God created everything old instead of young. He didn't create an egg, but instead a chicken who laid an egg. Same with the plants. He made trees and plants at an aged lifetime, instead of just putting seeds into the ground. You just don't understand, do you? God creates older things. Instead of a baby boy, He created a young man. Do you get it at all. He easily could have created an aged Universe also. One that was aged already.

Okay, I will try to explain this in more detail some other time. I am exhausted and have to get to bed. Will chat with you soon. Keep in mind that the chicken came before the egg came. God created the chicken as a young adult. The egg followed. So now you have your answer to that age-old question. I have to run!! Later!

Michael

Caino

BANNED
Banned
Dear Caino,

What about them all? Radiometric dating is just another mistake waiting to happen, same as C-14 dating. Same with everything you've mentioned. Yes, plate tectonics, speed of light, whatever. I don't believe any of it as dating methods. Piltdown me once, carbon-14 twice, and forget it, Lucy!! I don't trust anything science has to offer as far as the age of the Universe or Earth. You might notice, Caino, that God created man when he was already old, instead of creating a baby man. In other words, God created a young man from Day 1. Same with Eve. And God creataed the animals, not all as babies, but instead older than them. The same with the critters, and creeping bugs, etc. God created everything old instead of young. He didn't create an egg, but instead a chicken who laid an egg. Same with the plants. He made trees and plants at an aged lifetime, instead of just putting seeds into the ground. You just don't understand, do you? God creates older things. Instead of a baby boy, He created a young man. Do you get it at all. He easily could have created an aged Universe also. One that was aged already.

Okay, I will try to explain this in more detail some other time. I am exhausted and have to get to bed. Will chat with you soon. Keep in mind that the chicken came before the egg came. God created the chicken as a young adult. The egg followed. So now you have your answer to that age-old question. I have to run!! Later!

Michael

Yes, I do understand, the Genesis creation story was just one of many creation stories in existence that the Hebrews drew from. But because they have convinced you that God wrote it, and that's a critical part of your theology, you can't be honest about the mountains of evidence to the contrary.

There are a number of reliable dating techniques, the authors of scripture didn't have to prove anyrhing.

Adam and Eve were educated adults who spoke the language of the fallen "prince of this world", this old, evolved earth, because they came here from another world. There were already people here, the crafty beast had been here loooooooong before Adam.

This Christian scientist explains the many dating techniques if you want to educate yourself.

http://asa3.org/ASA/resources/Wiens.html

Last edited:

Caino

BANNED
Banned

Einstiens theory's in this area have been proven, Hubbles constant is a norm. However, the exaggerated claims of the Hebrew authors of the Genesis didn't have to provide evidence, and they punished and killed anyone who disagreed with their wild speculation. They were the Wizzards of Oz

gcthomas

So someone asked the mandible "how old are you?" Or they asked to see its photo ID? Perhaps they looked underneath and found the "Made in Taiwan year in 998,000 BC" stamp? Or here, I'll bet that they arbitrarily assigned 1 million years to a rock, based on fossils that they said are 1 million years old based on the rocks they are found in, thus the skull is 1 million years old!

That's even funnier than Match.com :)

Do you really read NONE of the answers given to you? How can you write such tripe as this 'million year old rock' comment without disappearing in a puff of inconsistencies?

You have been given plenty of independent ways in which age determinations can be done, from tree rings to redshift and multitudes in between. They consistently give great ages for the world, but you are too fixated on one specific, modern reading of one human written book that has been multiply translated to even listen to the arguments, let alone understand them.

Your loss, I suppose. Reality is a wonder to behold, and it is much better than a comforting old tale of a historic power play.

6days

redfern said:
The vast majority of mutations are in non-coding areas of the DNA, and have almost no effect on the fitness of the individual.*So your 100 mutations turns into probably less than 10 that really count
There are two mistakes with your statements.
1. In the past evolutionists thought non-coding DNA was mostly useless biological leftovers. So, mutations in the non-coding area were thought to have "almost no effect. *Science has been showing that the non coding DNA is largely functional serving regulatory purposes. So its wrong to dismiss 90% of mutations as "almost no effect". We still are learning just how much of the non coding DNA is serving a purpose...70%? 100%?
2. Even if we only look at your number of 10 mutations added to our genome each generation, that is devasting long term, to our population that produces less than 3 children for every two adults. IOW selection can't remove them.... they accumulate generation to generation.*
Back in 1950 geneticist Muller started speculating about the problem of genetic load. His concern, based on the science of that time thought that the deleterious mutation rate could be as high as .3 per person per generation. P-149,150 Human Genetics. (Crow repeated similar concern in 1997)
BTW....the 100 additional mutation rate per generation is likely very low. In 2000 Crowell and Nachman estimated the number at 175 just within our reproductive cells.*
redfern said:
If any of those 10 are seriously deleterious, selection will keep you from spreading that through the population.
Correct. The key word in your sentence is "serious". However, harmful mutations are still accumulating generation to generation in our genome.
So.... there is no such thing as individuals being "unusually free of deleterious changes".
redfern said:
I can’t help it if you are ignorant of statistics.
One of us might be ignorant. If you don't think you have many deleterious mutations, you are wrong. Kondrashov says that "The total number of new mutations per diploid human genome per generation is about 100...at least 10% of these are deleterious".*
Kondrashov is an evolutionist. He admits the problem and then tries to explain it away. But in any case...there is no such thing as individuals being "unusually free of deleterious changes". And, in any case...I am glad to help you out with statistics.
redfern said:
By contrast, the (admittedly rare) beneficial mutation will spread more rapidly (that is why it is called a beneficial mutation – it is one that aids in reproductive success).
That is what you must believe for evolutionism to work. That is what R.Dawkins and many others teach. But... it is more like wishful thinking than it is science.
Your "rare beneficial mutation" is likely not as beneficial as Talkorigins would have you believe.* Generally, if not always these mutations might have a beneficial outcome, but at the expense of damage to preexisting information. For example, most if not all resistant bacterium have digressed genetically and are unable to survive without antibiotics. They no longer have the genome to survive multiple environments like the parent population.*What evolutionism needs though, is not mutations that have a beneficial outcome but a mechanism that creates *
redfern said:
In the real world of science, these things have been studied for years.
Exactly!!!*... For about 100 years now.
redfern said:
But those studies are not at the level of he silly misleading “100 mutations per generation” sound bytes that you guys have to rely on. They actually involve some pretty serious mathematics and research. For example, here is one from over 20 years ago
I agree. we shouldn't rely on sound bytes. I agree that 100 mutations per generation is a low estimate. But, even that low number causes problems to evolutionary beliefs. That is why many articles from evolutionists such as Kondrashov, Crowell, Kimura, Crow,* Walker and Keightley and more admit the problem then try understand the data within their worldview.

Our phenome is evidence of a 'Super Intelligence'...even Natural selection appears to be a designed mechanism to help preserve life in our fallen world. The evidence suggests man has been on our planet a relatively short time, just as the Bible says.** The evidence shows, death is a certainty..... and through Jesus Christ who defeated death, we can look forward to the day when "He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death' or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."

Status
Not open for further replies.