Cradlers

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Did you not read what Nihilo wrote about mortal sin?

I'm probably more well-informed than most Catholics. I've read the CCC from cover to cover (along with the Bible from cover to cover), and studied many encyclicals and other Church documents as well as the writings of the saints.

I'm always open to learning more, since even with what I know there's incredibly more to learn.

Having said that - I understand how mortal sin works already. Grave matter, knowledge, consent. I understand the loopholes.

That doesn't change Church teaching, or the teaching that still remains on the books that those outside the Catholic Church will not find salvation except by certain additional loopholes.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I identified your comment as a complaint, and addressed it. I did not dismiss it.

Really, was it not a complaint about the Church?
Why is that so hard to admit? It's not that big of a deal.

Because it wasn't a complaint. So I'm not going to admit to it.

And if you're going to characterize a challenge to Church teaching as a complaint, I'll talk to someone else or drop this conversation entirely.

jsanford108

Looking at the footnotes of the CCC looks like they direct to the Code of Canon Law.

So this was promulgated anywhere from the Early Church on through the Middle Ages or so. I'll keep looking to see what council of bishops determined that parishioners who weren't at Mass on Sunday (and therefore not tithing) were committing a mortal sin that would send them hurtling to hell.

It goes back to the Ten Commandments. Sunday, being the new Sabbath.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Alright, I'll cut it out.

Thank you. I appreciate that.

Right, so should Catholics attend mass at all?

Of course. But it shouldn't be a mortal sin to intentionally miss it. Why would Christ want someone to have eternal death because they didn't come to His table on a Sunday?

I have to say I'm in a no man's land between a muscle-memory kind of faith that comes with being a cradle Catholic - and no faith. I've lost certainty altogether.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
It goes back to the Ten Commandments. Sunday, being the new Sabbath.

But who determined that making the Sabbath holy must include Mass and that an intentional and unreported missing of it meant hell? Men, not God. Magisterial teaching, I know. But that's another path to follow, isn't it?

glassjester

Thank you. I appreciate that.

Yeah - it was priggish of me.

Of course. But it shouldn't be a mortal sin to intentionally miss it.

Why would a Catholic, with full understanding and belief of what mass is, intentionally avoid going to mass? I think an answer to that question could shed light on the seriousness of the act.

Why would Christ want someone to have eternal death because they didn't come to His table on a Sunday?

Come on, I think we'd agree that Christ doesn't want anyone to be lost.

I have to say I'm in a no man's land between a muscle-memory kind of faith that comes with being a cradle Catholic - and no faith. I've lost certainty altogether.

I think very few people can honestly claim to have certainty. You're not alone on that.

jsanford108

But who determined that making the Sabbath holy must include Mass and that an intentional and unreported missing of it meant hell? Men, not God. Magisterial teaching, I know. But that's another path to follow, isn't it?

False. God established the necessity of keeping the Sabbath holy. And how much holier is a Sabbath when Christ is truly present?

So to intentionally deny Christ's offering, it makes sense for it to be of moral gravity. This is akin to forsaking Christ. Intentionally skipping Mass is intentionally turning to something else in preference to receiving Christ (communion).

glassjester

Intentionally skipping Mass is intentionally turning to something else in preference to receiving Christ (communion).

That's the meat of it, right there. It's what it says about our priorities that really makes avoiding mass a sin. With full knowledge of what mass is, why on Earth would any Catholic want to intentionally avoid it?

And that, specifically, is what it would take for any sin to be mortal - full knowledge of exactly what you're doing, and understanding why it's wrong, and just going on with it anyway.

I wonder how many (or how few) people actually meet that criteria, when it comes to missing mass.

Anna calls that a loophole. I think it just makes sense.

jsanford108

Looking at the footnotes of the CCC looks like they direct to the Code of Canon Law.

So this was promulgated anywhere from the Early Church on through the Middle Ages or so. I'll keep looking to see what council of bishops determined that parishioners who weren't at Mass on Sunday (and therefore not tithing) were committing a mortal sin that would send them hurtling to hell.

Hello friend,

I am a biologist, and a Catholic. I usually end up in discussions with atheists every day, and debates with Protestants on here.

If I may, I would like to enter into a private discussion of faith with you, after your comment about losing faith altogether. Due to my background, I have extensive knowledge of Protestant doctrine, as well as biology, chemistry, physics, nature, etc. So, I would really like to hear your reasons and rationale, and if I may, offer mitigating evidence.

Best of wishes.

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
I was reminded of this comment last night, and the following question occurred to me.

Is cancer the only natural evil that God should prevent?
Obviously not, but the issue is not whether or not he should prevent it, but rather why he does not. Or, if as some here seem to claim, his interest in the universe keeps it going (if he stopped thinking about it, it would stop/disappear?) then he keeps other diseases and natural disasters going.

glassjester

Obviously not, but the issue is not whether or not he should prevent it, but rather why he does not. Or, if as some here seem to claim, his interest in the universe keeps it going (if he stopped thinking about it, it would stop/disappear?) then he keeps other diseases and natural disasters going.

Yes, and it's a valid issue to bring up, I think.

For the sake of argument, let's say God prevented all cancers. What else should He then prevent?

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
That's the meat of it, right there. It's what it says about our priorities that really makes avoiding mass a sin. With full knowledge of what mass is, why on Earth would any Catholic want to intentionally avoid it?

And that, specifically, is what it would take for any sin to be mortal - full knowledge of exactly what you're doing, and understanding why it's wrong, and just going on with it anyway.

I wonder how many (or how few) people actually meet that criteria, when it comes to missing mass.

Anna calls that a loophole. I think it just makes sense.
The Church teaches that mortal sin is where grave matter is committed. If it is not grave matter, then it cannot be mortal sin.

The Church teaches what is grave matter, and what is not grave matter by omission.

The reason you're committing so much grave matter is because you're either not fully aware how serious it is, or because of a list of situations that attenuate, diminish, or nullify the nature of our consent, such that the following quote from Text 1859 can not be said of our consent, "sufficiently deliberate to be a personal choice."

Text 1735 says that our consent is attenuated, diminished, or nullified, "by... inadvertence, duress, fear, habit, inordinate attachments, and other psychological or social factors."

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Hello friend,

I am a biologist, and a Catholic. I usually end up in discussions with atheists every day, and debates with Protestants on here.

If I may, I would like to enter into a private discussion of faith with you, after your comment about losing faith altogether. Due to my background, I have extensive knowledge of Protestant doctrine, as well as biology, chemistry, physics, nature, etc. So, I would really like to hear your reasons and rationale, and if I may, offer mitigating evidence.

Best of wishes.

That's very kind of you. I've been thinking about your offer, and to be honest, my heart isn't open enough right now. For anything. I know it. It wouldn't be right not to be upfront about that so you don't waste your time. But I thank you for your thoughtfulness.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
The Apostle Paul wrote the seventh chapter of his epistle to the Church in Rome.

Text 307 says, "God ...enables men to be intelligent and free causes in order to complete the work of creation, to perfect its harmony for their own good and that of their neighbors. Though often unconscious collaborators with God's will, they can also enter deliberately into the divine plan by their actions, their prayers and their sufferings."

There are only two mutually exclusive categories of people in Text 307; unconscious collaborators with God's will, and their opposite; conscious, or "deliberate" collaborators. Unconscious, and deliberate. Those are the only two options.

Last edited: