Cousins and children

The Berean

I had a question about family connections. If you have first cousins who have children, do the children address you as "cousin" or "aunt/uncle". I know technically the children are first cousins, once removed. My wife and I had a discussion about this. She insists that the children address her as "aunt" because that is what is done in her culture.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I had a question about family connections. If you have first cousins who have children, do the children address you as "cousin" or "aunt/uncle". I know technically the children are first cousins, once removed. My wife and I had a discussion about this. She insists that the children address her as "aunt" because that is what is done in her culture.

I call my cousins by their first names. Most of them are around my mom's age. Aunts and uncles are addressed as "Aunt Mary (or other name)" or "Uncle Don (or other name)." That's how it's always been in my family. However, I was raised that I wasn't allowed to address adults that were friends of the family by their first names. It was either Mr./Mrs./Miss or Aunt/Uncle or Grandma/Grandpa. My mom and step-father's best friends were "Uncle Auggie and Aunt Arlene." My pre-school teacher was "Miss Jackie." My pastor and his wife were "Pastor Paul and Mrs. Jan."

The Berean

I call my cousins by their first names. Most of them are around my mom's age. Aunts and uncles are addressed as "Aunt Mary (or other name)" or "Uncle Don (or other name)." That's how it's always been in my family. However, I was raised that I wasn't allowed to address adults that were friends of the family by their first names. It was either Mr./Mrs./Miss or Aunt/Uncle or Grandma/Grandpa. My mom and step-father's best friends were "Uncle Auggie and Aunt Arlene." My pre-school teacher was "Miss Jackie." My pastor and his wife were "Pastor Paul and Mrs. Jan."

Ok, so the children of your first cousins address you as "aunt Nori"?

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Ok, so the children of your first cousins address you as "aunt Nori"?

Nope. Most of my first cousins' children are my age or older (they have children the same age as my daughter). They call me Nori and I address them by their first names.

The only people who call me Aunt Nori are my nieces and nephews and their boyfriends/girlfriends.

Daniel1611

This messes me up. Isn't it that you and your cousins child are first cousins once removed and your children and your cousins children are second cousins to each other, right? I should Google this.

Buzzword

I address my parents' siblings and their spouses as "Aunt" and "Uncle".

I refer to my parents' siblings' children as "first cousins".

I refer to my parents' siblings' children's children as "second cousins".

And so on. I address all of my cousins by their first name, and they me, regardless of age difference.

My wife and I have a disagreement regarding terminology.
She refers to my first cousins as "cousins", my second cousins as "first cousins," and so on.

Surprisingly, we don't feel the need to discuss it very often.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

The children of your first cousins are second cousins.

Daniel1611

Your children and your cousins children are second cousins to each other. You and your cousins children are first cousins once removed to each other .

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
According to several genealogical sources I have read, any child of my first cousins is a "first cousin once removed". Second cousins are cousins who share one set of great grandparents. First cousins share one set of grandparents.

http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~bridgett/cousins.htm

second cousin
n.
1. A child of a first cousin of one's parent.
2. A child of one's first cousin; a first cousin once removed.

They mean the same thing
- the child of your first cousin, is your second cousin/first cousin once removed.

The child of your first cousin is your second cousin and so on, their kids would be your third cousin, etc... thats what once removed, twice removed, etc means

The Berean

second cousin
n.
1. A child of a first cousin of one's parent.
2. A child of one's first cousin; a first cousin once removed.

They mean the same thing
- the child of your first cousin, is your second cousin/first cousin once removed.

The child of your first cousin is your second cousin and so on, their kids would be your third cousin, etc... thats what once removed, twice removed, etc means
Ahhh...I see. :up: