Could God forgive without crucifixion?

Predi

but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die. (Genesis 2:17)​

The Hebrew word for surely is muth and the word for die is muth. Muth means die.

The penalty Adam incurred was that he would die and he would die a second death.

Adam died in the first millennial day.

What is the source of this incredible information?

My sources (I can find and quote, if requested) say that the phrase "surely die" is pretty common in Hebrew, occurs 49 times in the Old Testament, and never means 2 deaths.

Predi

is that good enough for you?
-here is a clue
-what paul doesn't say doesn't trump what Jesus says

Of course it doesn't.

But most of addressees of Paul's Epistles never saw written Gospels. Don't you think Paul had to write everything that was really crucial for salvation?

Paul doesn't just say anything about Lord's prayer. He actually never tells anyone to ask God for forgiveness, or confess sins to God.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Of course it doesn't.

But most of addressees of Paul's Epistles never saw written Gospels. Don't you think Paul had to write everything that was really crucial for salvation?

Paul doesn't just say anything about Lord's prayer. He actually never tells anyone to ask God for forgiveness, or confess sins to God.

does paul tell you he doesn't sin?

Cross Reference

I used to love this metaphorical story about a court trial... we are the defendant, God is the judge, the devil - prosecutor - and we have no lawyer - so we're hopeless, we lose, get sentenced, and then Jesus comes and takes the punishment for us so we are let go.

Then I realized if this metaphor says how it really is in the story of salvation... God doesn't really forgive us anything. The guilt is still punished and someone has to suffer.

Jesus did forgive some people before crucifixion (for example in Luke 7:48), God did that many times in Old Testament, too (e.g. 2 Samuel 12:13).

My question is - why can't God just... forgive me all of my sins? Without the sacrifice of Jesus? Just because God is good and forgiving? We aren't taught in the Bible to forgive with any substitute sacrifice, right? What is the problem then?

Sure HE can and did. However, blood needed to be shed, perfect sinless human blood, had to be shed for the power of sin to be canceled out. Why?, because without it no one already forgiven would ever have been be able enter into the presence of God either by transfiguration or when they die. Sorry, no sin allowed. Not even the smell of it.

Predi

Sure HE can and did. However, blood needed to be shed, perfect sinless human blood, had to be shed for the power of sin to be canceled out. Why?, because without it no one already forgiven would ever have been be able enter into the presence of God either by transfiguration or when they die. Sorry, no sin allowed. Not even the smell of it.

Thanks. This is the traditional explanation, the problem is I don't see it clearly stated in the Bible. "enter into presence... when they die..." Verse?

All I know is Jesus had lunches with sinners.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
What is the source of this incredible information?

My sources (I can find and quote, if requested) say that the phrase "surely die" is pretty common in Hebrew, occurs 49 times in the Old Testament, and never means 2 deaths.

What is the Hebrew word for die and what is the penalty for sin? Job asked, "If a man dies, shall he live again?" (Job 14:14)

Job then answers his own question, "All the days of my hard service I will wait till my change comes.You shall call and I will answer You, You shall desire the work of Your hands." In the KJV hard service is translated appointed time which is a better translation.

We only live twice.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
It was death that man needed, death to sin, death to the old life, death and resurrection. Only Christ provides this.

If He had not died for us we would have had to die for ourselves.....then we would be dead....no resurrection

Cross Reference

Thanks. This is the traditional explanation, the problem is I don't see it clearly stated in the Bible. "enter into presence... when they die..." Verse?

All I know is Jesus had lunches with sinners.

Ask yourself the question while keeping mind that before the cross, where did the righteous of the OT go when they died?

Predi

Ask yourself the question while keeping mind that before the cross, where did the righteous of the OT go when they died?

I honestly have no idea where they went. I didn't even know the righteous and unrighteous were separated.

Last edited:

Predi

But John does. (1 John 1:9)

Yes, the only verse in the Bible that speaks about confessing sins! Also, John says a few pages later who is born of God does not sins... so the literal, traditional exegesis has a little contradiction here.

How can I confess sins if I died to them? And God remembers them no more? Plus, I'm not even under the law! (Romans 6, Hebrews 8)? I can't see how this only verse would make me kneel every night and make a list of my transgressions, if a hundred other verses tell me I don't have to anymore.

Jamie Gigliotti

Yes, the only verse in the Bible that speaks about confessing sins! Also, John says a few pages later who is born of God does not sins... so the literal, traditional exegesis has a little contradiction here.

How can I confess sins if I died to them? And God remembers them no more? Plus, I'm not even under the law! (Romans 6, Hebrews 8)? I can't see how this only verse would make me kneel every night and make a list of my transgressions, if a hundred other verses tell me I don't have to anymore.

There is a Spiritual transformation that is a process, it is not an instaneous thing.
"But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves to God, the fruit you get leads to sanctification and its end eternal life." Romans 6:22