Cohen wants to Abolish the Electoral College

Right Divider

Body part
From his web page: "The Americans expect and deserve the winner of the popular vote to win office."

No, we don't. The EC was established for a very important purpose. It was put in place for the explicit purpose of NOT having a direct popular vote for the President of the United STATES of America.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
"Yeah, but it makes it so much more difficult to commit large scale voter fraud! We dumbocrats can't stand losing an election, so removing the Electoral College would make it easier for us to put who WE want into office!!!1!" - The left, probably. /s

chair

From his web page: "The Americans expect and deserve the winner of the popular vote to win office."

No, we don't. The EC was established for a very important purpose. It was put in place for the explicit purpose of NOT having a direct popular vote for the President of the United STATES of America.
Exactly. This made sense in 1789. It's possible that times have changed, and this no longer makes sense. The Constitution allows for amendment.

You can disagree with him, but no reason to get all 'that's not Constitutional' about it. Or- 'they're trying to cheat' about it... It's a legitimate opinion, even if you don't agree with it.

Right Divider

Body part
Exactly. This made sense in 1789. It's possible that times have changed, and this no longer makes sense. The Constitution allows for amendment.
The EXACT same reason that it was created is still alive and well. Perhaps a genius like you can explain PRECISELY what has changed to make it "no longer make sense".
You can disagree with him, but no reason to get all 'that's not Constitutional' about it. Or- 'they're trying to cheat' about it... It's a legitimate opinion, even if you don't agree with it.
Again, you apparently have NO idea why it was created in the first place and why it's still just as important as ever, maybe more so.

Gary K

Banned

The electoral college was put into place so that high population states can't run roughshod over smaller states. You know, fairness, justice, and everyone's vote carrying the same weight no matter where they live. The EC was put in place to preserve liberty. But then you've been pushing the totalitarian bandwagon all along.

chair

The electoral college was put into place so that high population states can't run roughshod over smaller states. You know, fairness, justice, and everyone's vote carrying the same weight no matter where they live. The EC was put in place to preserve liberty. But then you've been pushing the totalitarian bandwagon all along.
I didn't even say that I agree with him. I'm just pointing out that you are overreacting.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Meh, it would be easier to just split the country in half.

chair

Here's what I said. Read it. Do you know what the word "possible" means?
It would be helpful if you wouldn't pigeonhole people quite so quickly.

My own opinion n the matter? Right now it would be a mistake to change it. If the United States starts thinking of itself as a united country someday, then the system could be changed.

Right Divider

Body part
Here's what I said. Read it. Do you know what the word "possible" means?
It would be helpful if you wouldn't pigeonhole people quite so quickly.

My own opinion n the matter? Right now it would be a mistake to change it. If the United States starts thinking of itself as a united country someday, then the system could be changed.
Talk about beating around the bush and obfuscating.

Yes, you said possible. You must have had something in mind. Or were you just blowing smoke?

chair

Talk about beating around the bush and obfuscating.

Yes, you said possible. You must have had something in mind. Or were you just blowing smoke?
I was only saying that his approach was reasonable. It's not a crazy idea, or evil, or even unconstitutional- since the Constitution allows for amendments.

For those who can only think "my idea is right, and anything else is stupid and evil"- it is hard to comprehend

Right Divider

Body part
I was only saying that his approach was reasonable. It's not a crazy idea, or evil, or even unconstitutional- since the Constitution allows for amendments.

For those who can only think "my idea is right, and anything else is stupid and evil"- it is hard to comprehend
How is it "reasonable"?

Why can't you ever speak plainly and clearly?

Gary K

Banned
I didn't even say that I agree with him. I'm just pointing out that you are overreacting.
So, it's "overreacting" when someone who says they want to destroy another part of historical government that helps guarantee liberty is criticized for it. What did Ben Franklin say is the price of liberty? Eternal vigilance. Meaning stay awake at all times and point out every proposed move to destroy it.

As far as you're concerned Franklin was a foolish old man that didn't really understand what he was talking about. He was just paranoid to think that internal and external enemies of ours would try to destroy our liberty. Poor old doddering fool that he was he was just overreacting.