Christ's Commandments

WeberHome

Re: Christ's Commandments

1Pet 3:7b . . Husbands honor the wife, as the weaker vessel

The koiné Greek word for "honor" is time (tee-may') which means: a value, i.e. money paid.

The word for "weaker" is asthenes (as-then-ace') which means: having no strength, i.e. fragile.

And the word for "vessel" is skeuos (skyoo'-os) which can indicate anything from a soup bowl to a file cabinet or a cardboard box; in other words: a container.

Peter isn't saying women are physically weaker than men; but that Christian husbands should exercise the same care with their wives as they would a fragile antique worth thousands of dollars like, say, a Ming vase. Nobody in their right mind handles a Ming vase like a farmer handles a 5-gallon bucket.

This Ming-vase value isn't an intrinsic value, nor is it a deserved value either; but rather, it's a gratuitous value. In other words: Christ commands Christian husbands to categorize their wives up there with Dresden china even if she's as tough as a female cop and/or a UFC mixed martial artist the likes of Rhonda Rousey-- and this is not a choice; no, it's not a choice; it's an order.

Christian husbands who treat their Skil saws and their tomato plants with more care and concern than they treat their wives can just forget about associating with God on any meaningful level.

"as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered." (1Pet 3:7c)

Note the word "together" which is quite the opposite of autonomy and/or independence.

Couples sometimes assert themselves with words like "What I do is between me and the Lord." No; not when you're married. Marriage changes everything between one's self and the Lord because people become one flesh in marriage: no longer two.
_

WeberHome

1Pet 3:8a . . Finally, all of you be of one mind,

Peter’s not talking about the nerve center of a Borg-hive collective. The koiné Greek word for "one mind" is homophron (hom-of'-rone) which means: harmonious; and this is the only place in the entire New Testament where that word appears.

Webster’s defines "harmonious" as: 1) musically concordant, 2) having the parts agreeably related; viz: congruous, and 3) marked by accord in sentiment or action.

Peter's directive emphasizes the third element-- "marked by accord in sentiment or action". Head-strong Christians, domineering Christians, those for whom every disagreement is either an affront or an act of war to win at any cost-- those for whom the word diplomacy has no meaning --of course have trouble complying with 1Pet 3:8a; that is: if they even consider it worthy of their notice.
_

WeberHome

1Pet 3:8b-9 . . having compassion one of another, love as brethren, be pitiful, be courteous; not rendering evil for evil, or railing for railing: but contrariwise blessing.

"compassion" is from the koiné Greek word sumpathes (soom-path-ace') which means: having a fellow-feeling; viz: sympathetic, i.e. (by implication) mutually commiserative.

One of the meanings of commiserate is condole: like when we share someone's grief at the passing of a loved one, or their job has been outsourced to cheap labor in India, or they've lost their entire retirement fund to an unscrupulous corporation like ENRON, or their life savings to a crooked Ponzi schemer like Bernie Madoff, or when there's news from their doctor they have to begin chemo-therapy for a recently detected advanced cancer, or when the car of a single mom with limited income needs expensive repairs. That is no time to be thoughtless. People in those predicaments are in sore need of condolences, and they are in no mood for philosophical platitudes.

The Greek word for "railing" is loidoria (loy-dor-ee'-ah) which means slander or vituperation; which Webster's defines as 1) to abuse or censure severely or abusively; viz: berate, and 2) to use harsh condemnatory language.

Rejoinders fall into that category; which are defined as a usually rude or angry reply to something written or said; viz: insensitive come-backs deliberately meant to hurt people's feelings; viz: tit for tat. That kind of behavior doesn't go unnoticed.
_

WeberHome

1Pet 3:10-11 . . Let him who means to love life and see good days refrain his tongue from evil and his lips from speaking guile. And let him turn away from evil and do good; let him seek peace and pursue it.

Webster's defines guile as "duplicity" which is defined as: contradictory doubleness of thought, speech, or action; especially in the belying of one's true intentions by deceptive words or action; in other words, speaking with a forked tongue and/or saying one thing while meaning another.

You know, it's ironic; but if we were to take guile out of the political process, nobody would get elected. I simply cannot imagine an America with forthright politicians either in Congress, or the Senate, or the White House.

My father-in-law, who retired from Safeco Title as a senior vice president and general counsel, once remarked that advertising is the art of deception. You know what that says to me? It says that Madison Avenue's Mad Men really are mad after all.

FYI: To seek peace and pursue it is blessing-worthy.

"Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God." (Matt 5:9)

If it's true that only peaceable kinds of people qualify to wear the label "children of God" then the opposite is just as true: difficult Christians are unworthy of the distinction.
_

WeberHome

1Pet 3:14a . . If you should suffer for the sake of righteousness, you are blessed.

Peter isn't talking about one's religious beliefs per se, but about one's personal righteousness; in other words, one's personal conduct, and their convictions about what's right and what's wrong.

The koiné Greek word for "righteousness" in that passage is dikaiosune (dik-ah-yos-oo'-nay) which means: equity (of character or act). Webster's defines equity as: justice according to natural law or right; specifically freedom from bias or favoritism.

When Adam and his wife indulged in the forbidden fruit, they became their own Gods with their own opinions about what's right and what's wrong.

"And Yhvh God said: The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil." (Gen 3:22)

To give an idea of just how much this situation effects everyday life: the US Supreme Court not too long ago voted 5-4 on an important firearms issue. What does that tell me? It tells me that there are justices on that Court whose opinions are unrighteous because if the justices were all righteous, then the vote, whichever way it went, would have been unanimous.

The effects of humanistic righteousness are evident in mainstream Christianity too. Some time ago, a Presbyterian General Assembly voted whether or not to allow LGBT clergy. The measure passed by the slimmest of margins: 51%. What does that tell me? It tells me that fully half of that Presbyterian General Assembly is not listening to God because had they all been listening, the vote would have been unanimous one way or the other rather than two opposing opinions.

NOTE: There should be no question that LGBT clergy is wrong.

"He must also have a good reputation with outsiders, so that he will not fall into disgrace and into the Devil's trap." (1Tim 3:7)

An LGBT Christian church elder would be seen by the world as a bona fide hypocrite; which can be roughly defined as somebody who should be standing for the Bible but at heart does not care to live by it. With a Christian church officer like that; it's reasonable to suspect that the congregation is compromised in other areas of faith and practices.
_

WeberHome

1Pet 3:14b . . And do not fear their intimidation, nor be shaken,

Peer pressure, mob rule, cultural influences, group-think, survival, and customs are always at work seeking to manipulate people.

Take for example the current wave of suicide bombings and acts of terrorism perpetrated by Islamic extremists. In their own sick estimation, the murders and destruction of private property they cause are justifiable; but any unbiased person can easily see that what they are committing are crimes against humanity.

The extremists no doubt see themselves as martyrs and patriots, but the unbiased world only sees them as criminals; which, in the grand scheme of things; is exactly what they are. Meanwhile, the extremists are exerting peer pressure on peaceable Muslims all over the world to join their cause. When peaceable Muslims refuse, then they too become targets just as if they were devils rather than followers of Mohammad. In other words, the extremists are insinuating that unless Islamists commit murder and destruction of private property, they aren't true Muslims. That's a pretty extreme example of how peer pressure, mob rule, cultural influences, group-think, survival, and customs cause people to do unrighteous things.

In this current world, if you side with God in matters of right and wrong, you become a target for intimidation; which Webster's defines as: inducing fear and/or a sense of inferiority. Intimidation need not be a threat of violence to be effective. Peer pressure and ostracism are powerful tools of intimidation. Human beings are herd animals; we all want to fit in and belong. If you follow the herd, you will be accepted; but if you dare to buck the tide; you will find yourself unpopular in a very short time. It's ironic. Here in America we idolize the concept of rugged individuality. But the truth is; we despise people who do their own thinking; and Americans really despise individuals who dare to side with God.

I was reading an article in the newspaper recently that said in the past, it was wise for candidates for Federal office take sides with religion, but nowadays, in an increasingly irreligious American society, it's becoming best not to if they hope to win enough votes to get elected.
_

WeberHome

1Pet 3:15a . . Dedicate your hearts to The Lord God

The koiné Greek word for "hearts" in that verse is from kardia (kar-dee'-ah); an ambiguous word that can mean the organ pumping blood throughout the body, the core of one's being, one's affections, one's basic nature, one's center, and/or one's thoughts and feelings,

Dedicating one's heart is sort of like setting it upon something, i.e. to have a strong (and sometimes inflexible) desire for something; for example:

"When the hour came, Jesus and his apostles reclined at the table. And he said to them: I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer." (Luke 22:14-15)

Within the context of 1Pet 3:10-16, dedicating one's heart to The Lord pertains to moral goodness with respect to how God feels about certain things, i.e. one's conscience.

It is first necessary to know what constitutes moral goodness in respect to how God feels about things; and in order to know, His followers have to get into the Bible.

"I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God-this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is-his good, pleasing and perfect will. (Rom 12:1-2)

"Solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil." (Heb 5:14)

A training regimen, though it be the best, is quite useless unless people work at it on a regular basis. That's just common sense. For example: Yoga will improve your balance; but you've got to make Yoga a regular part of your life in order for it to work. A little Yoga here, and a little Yoga there, is not exactly the ideal way to go about it.
_

Guyver

BANNED
Banned
Christ's commands are those written with his own finger at Mount Sinai.

His commands were placed in an ark and form a covenant with his people.

That must be a very difficult and confusing theological position for you to hold. I mean, if you think it was the finger of Jesus who inscribed the commandments written in stone, then you must believe in a Jesus who is confused or unsure about righteous moral principles. You believe in a God who changes his mind about what is righteous or unrighteousness.

In the Law of Stone, aka, the law of Moses....slavery, divorce and capital punishment for sin are righteous, but Jesus of the New Testament is recorded speaking against these things.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
That must be a very difficult and confusing theological position for you to hold. I mean, if you think it was the finger of Jesus who inscribed the commandments written in stone, then you must believe in a Jesus who is confused or unsure about righteous moral principles. You believe in a God who changes his mind about what is righteous or unrighteousness.

In the Law of Stone, aka, the law of Moses....slavery, divorce and capital punishment for sin are righteous, but Jesus of the New Testament is recorded speaking against these things.

Please show where.

WeberHome

1Pet 3:15b . . Be ready always to give an answer to every man that asks you a reason of the hope that is in you.

The koiné Greek word for "hope" in that passage, and in others (e.g. Rom 8:23-25) is elpis (el-pece') which means expectation; viz: elpis isn't wishful thinking, nor crossing your fingers, nor is it a blend of longing, insecurity, and doubt; no, elpis is a confident kind of hope that looks forward to something that it fully expects to obtain; ergo: elpis is an anticipating hope; viz: it doesn't pray for the best, while in the back of its mind dreading the worst.

When people aren't 110% sure what the afterlife has in store for them-- if there is even the slightest concern, or unease --they can't possibly comply with 1Pet 3:15b for the simple reason that the hope that is in them, if any, is the wrong kind of hope.

"Rejoicing in hope." (Rom 12:12)

When people are praying for the best, while in the back of their mind dreading the worst, they have absolutely no cause for rejoicing; no; but they do have plenty of cause to fear the unknown.

Know-so hope is a calling.

"You were also called to the one hope" (Eph 4:4)

So when people are unsure of their afterlife destiny; it's an indication that they have not yet responded to the call to the one hope.

FAQ: What is this so-called one hope?

A: One of its components is a new body. (Acts 2:26-27, Acts 23:6, Rom 8:23-25, and 1John 3:2)

Having a new body to look forward to is comforting and helps me cope with losing the body I have now; especially its deterioration. Death is bad enough, but the aging process to my thinking is worse. Thank heavens we only have to get old just the one time and never again.
_

Last edited:

WeberHome

1Pet 4:1-2 . .Therefore, since Christ has suffered in the flesh, arm yourselves also with the same purpose, because he who has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin, so as to live the rest of the time in the flesh no longer for the lusts of men, but for the will of God.

The koiné Greek word for flesh is sarx (sarx); which basically indicates the meaty parts of either man or beast; i.e. the body. The meaty parts of course include one's brain.

The "lusts of men" is speaking of wants that are common to everyone. (cf. 1Cor 10:13)

The koiné Greek word for "lusts" is epithumia (ep-ee-thoo-mee'-ah) which means: a longing, defined by Webster's as a strong desire, i.e. a craving.

Cravings aren't necessarily bad. Problems arise when we let our cravings rule us to the point of acting contrary to good scruples and/or our better judgement especially when it comes to making God frown upon our conduct as unbecoming, i.e. inappropriate for His son's followers.

Cravings aren't necessarily bad. Problems arise when we let our cravings rule us to the point of acting contrary to good scruples and/or our better judgment especially when it comes to making God frown upon our conduct as unbecoming, i.e. inappropriate for His son's followers.

NOTE: It offends some Christians to even so much as think that Christ might've had human longings just like everybody else. They truly believe he should have been above all that-- he wasn't. Much of Jesus' suffering in the flesh came from suppressing his body's natural cravings. (Heb 5:7-8)

As the Word in heaven above, Jesus knew by omniscience that it's tough to be an h.sapiens; but now he knows for himself by personal experience just how tough it is. (Heb 2:16-18, Heb 4:15)
_

Last edited:

WeberHome

1Pet 4:7 . . The culmination of all things is approaching; therefore be serious, and watchful in your prayers.

Another version says:

". . . therefore be self-controlled and sober-minded for the sake of your prayers."

In other words; if we say we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. (1John 1:6, cf. Gen 4:7, Isa 1:2-15, and 1Pet 3:7)
_

Last edited:

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER

Not the finger of Jesus, the finger of Christ. The One who led the people out of Egypt. (1 Corinthians 10:4)

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Jesus was born of woman, Christ existed from the beginning.

"Christ" is a title, Jesus is a name.
They are the same Person.

Jesus Christ is the Word of God, who has always existed

WeberHome

1Pet 4:8 . . Above all, keep fervent in your love for one another, because love hides a large number of sins.

A person easily provoked is not a loving person.

One Saturday morning I and another man at church were moving some furniture from one place to another inside the main building where, completely unknown to us, a wedding rehearsal was being conducted. The woman in charge of organizing the wedding came out into the hall and began scolding us for talking and making noise. When I pointed out that there were no posted signs in the hallway indicating a function in progress on the other side of the door, she became sullen, and tightened her lips and narrowed her eyes in anger. Had that lady exemplified the love about which Peter wrote, she would have handled her inconvenience with a little more tact and sensitivity.

"Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be known as God's kin" (Matt 5:9)

BTW: That same lady was also in the choir, and sang doxologies in front of about 2,000 people every Sunday morning. She was good at musical harmony, but obviously in sore need of some training in the civil kind.
_

WeberHome

1Pet 4:10 . .As each one has received a special gift, employ it in serving one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.

The koiné Greek word for "manifold" is poikilos (poy-kee'-los) which means: motley, i.e. varied in character. All that’s really saying is that the gifts of God are multifarious; viz: having a number of different aspects or characteristics. (cf. Rom 12:5-8, 1Cor 12:1-11)

Unfortunately, people with natural aptitudes generally make up the majority of those in church capacities for which is supposed to be required a spiritual gift from God. They may look like they're "on fire" for The Lord, but really all they are is ambitious.
_

WeberHome

1Pet 4:11b . . Whoever serves, let him do so as by the strength which God supplies; so that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belongs the glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.

Hardly anybody seems to care much about that anymore, nor would anybody probably know the difference anyway. It’s been my observation that the truly spiritually-gifted Christians are mostly invisible, and go about their business right under the noses of the stars in church, whose own spiritual decadence is oftentimes very embarrassing to Christianity.

Point being; those that do have genuine spiritual gifts need to make very sure that when they exercise those gifts in church; they do so in the Lord's best interests rather than their own.
_

WeberHome

1Pet 4:11a . . If anyone speaks, let him speak as the oracles of God.

The koiné Greek word for "oracles" is logion (log'-ee-on) which refers to something spoken rather than something imagined.

Here's another way to put Peter's instructions:

"Whoever preaches, let it be with the words of God"

Though the Bible isn't one long quotation of God's actual spoken words from cover to cover; nevertheless, for all practical intents and purposes, Christians do well to regard the Bible as the words of God anyway; and that applies to both the Old and the New testaments for the reason that all scripture is by inspiration of God-- whether He actually spoke the Bible's words Himself makes no difference. (2Tim 3:16-17)

Here's an excellent example of what Peter is driving at:

"The Levites-- Jeshua, Bani, Sherebiah, Jamin, Akkub, Shabbethai, Hodiah, Maaseiah, Kelita, Azariah, Jozabad, Hanan and Pelaiah --instructed the people in the Law while the people were standing there. They read from the Book of the Law of God, making it clear and giving the meaning so that the people could understand what was being read." (Neh 8:7-8)

My hat's off to those Levites. They did exactly what every preacher worth his salt should be doing in our own day and age; viz: they taught the people using the word of God-- directly from the actual text itself.
_

Last edited: