ChristianForums banned Christ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. 5020

Mustard Seed said:
Apologies, as the above had to be put down phonetically as font and format necessary for a native statement is not available here.
If you're using the "WYSIWYG Editor," you can usually copy and paste from other applications.

For example, Wingdings is not a font available on TOL, yet I can copy and paste it from MS Word.

Edit: I tried this using Wingdings; let's see if it works.

Mustard Seed

Mr. 5020 said:
If you're using the "WYSIWYG Editor," you can usually copy and paste from other applications.

I wasn't copying from other applications. It's a language I'm in the process of learning. I wasn't copying from anything online or on the computer.

Mr. 5020

Mustard Seed said:
I wasn't copying from other applications. It's a language I'm in the process of learning. I wasn't copying from anything online or on the computer.
It looks like I was wrong anyways...

Sarcastikus

Perhaps some (additional?) words of wisdom are needed in this thread. This is some wisdom that I try to follow with varying degrees of success....

----

1 Rely not on the teacher, but on the teaching.

2 Rely not on the words of the teaching, but on the spirit of the words.

3 Rely not on theory, but on experience.

4 Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.

5 Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations.

6 Do not believe anything because it is spoken and rumored by many.

7 Do not believe in anything because it is written in your religious books.

8 Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.

9 But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and the benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.

----

Maybe if people here would try to follow this wisdom there'd be more understanding a lot less animosity.

oftenbuzzard

Sarcastikus said:
9 But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and the benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.

----

Maybe if people here would try to follow this wisdom there'd be more understanding a lot less animosity.

Define good (without any reference to books, teachers, traditions, etc. and make sure everyone agrees with your definition). If you can not this whole schema collapses as indefinable.

So if one person on the globe is hampered then the principle is invalidated? How about animals and plants... don't they count? Think of the pain the grass experiences when you walk across it barefooted. Or the pain an ear of corn fields when it is ripped from its stalk and boiled so you can ingest it and bathe it in stomach acid!

This is cotton candy morality. Tastes sweet but disintegrates when swallowed.

Sarcastikus

oftenbuzzard said:
Define good (without any reference to books, teachers, traditions, etc. and make sure everyone agrees with your definition). If you can not this whole schema collapses as indefinable.

:think: Well, to me (for what it's worth) good is that which is beneficial to myself and/or others, but doesn't cause harm to others. (I'm sure your analytical mind will pick this apart.)​

So if one person on the globe is hampered then the principle is invalidated? How about animals and plants... don't they count? Think of the pain the grass experiences when you walk across it barefooted. Or the pain an ear of corn fields when it is ripped from its stalk and boiled so you can ingest it and bathe it in stomach acid!

I believe the "one and all" refered to in the text I quoted is in reference to sentient beings. I know that the definition of "sentient beings" is open to debate, but plants probably aren't sentient, at least not in the same way higher life forms (humans and other animals) are.​

This is cotton candy morality. Tastes sweet but disintegrates when swallowed.

In what way is this "cotton candy morality"? It does have a moral point, but this particular teaching has more to do with trying to be objective about things. Like I ask the kids when they come home from school, "Did you learn how to think or what to think today?"​

P.S. Everything disintegrates eventually.

Last edited:

oftenbuzzard

Sarcasticus said:
Well, to me (for what it's worth) good is that which is beneficial to myself and/or others, but doesn't cause harm to others. (I'm sure your analytical mind will pick this apart.)

You make it too easy. I'll pass.

[QUOTESarcasticus]I believe the "one and all" refered to in the text I quoted is in reference to sentient beings. I know that the definition of "sentient beings" is open to debate, but plants probably aren't sentient, at least not in the same way higher life forms (humans and other animals) are. [/QUOTE]

The arrogance -- to place yourself above plants! Sheer bigotry.

Sarcastikus

oftenbuzzard said:
The arrogance -- to place yourself above plants! Sheer bigotry.

Rather than 'higher' perhaps I should have written 'more complex', in order to avoid issues of vertical hierarchies, but then again everything is relative.

oftenbuzzard

Sarcastikus said:
Rather than 'higher' perhaps I should have written 'more complex', in order to avoid issues of vertical hierarchies, but then again everything is relative.

And I guess that includes your absolutist dictum that everything is relative.

Sarcastikus

oftenbuzzard said:
And I guess that includes your absolutist dictum that everything is relative.

No thing is absolute, every thing is relative. A thing can only be understood in relation to another thing. No thing can exist in isolation because without at least one other thing to contrast it with it can't be distinguished.

CRASH

TOL Subscriber
Sarcastikus said:
I'm relatively certain. ;)

So, now you admit that you are not sure everything is relative, as you previously stated. You admit that you could be wrong on this issue as well as every other, because you are not absolutely sure of anything. Your world view is self contradicting and not worthy of any more thought. You admit you know nothing.

Sarcastikus

CRASH said:
So, now you admit that you are not sure everything is relative, as you previously stated. You admit that you could be wrong on this issue as well as every other, because you are not absolutely sure of anything. Your world view is self contradicting and not worthy of any more thought. You admit you know nothing.

Agreed. "Reality" appears to have contradictory elements due to the limitations of language and perception. It's simply not possible to be absolutely certain of anything, that's the nature of "reality". Since we apparently aren't able to experience "reality" directly we can't be certain that our perceptions are correct. Our experience of "reality" is filtered through our senses and then interpreted by/through a wide variety of subjective processes which introduce elements of uncertainy.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Sarcastikus said:
Agreed. "Reality" appears to have contradictory elements due to the limitations of language and perception. It's simply not possible to be absolutely certain of anything, that's the nature of "reality". Since we apparently aren't able to experience "reality" directly we can't be certain that our perceptions are correct. Our experience of "reality" is filtered through our senses and then interpreted by/through a wide variety of subjective processes which introduce elements of uncertainy.

2+2=4

Somethings are limited by subjective perception, but this does not negate objective reality. Judeo-Christianity also has divine revelation which reflects reality. We can know truth about God and His ways even if we do not know it exhaustively or sometimes distort the truth through our weaknesses.

e.g. either Jesus Christ existed or He did not; either He is God or He is not; either He rose from the dead historically or He did not. We can know truth about these things.

JoyfulRook

I got a warning a few days ago from a moderator at CF. My post was removed because of this:

ThorneyGrace said:
Post of yours which violates forum rules.

<!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->

Dreadhelm,

You have a post in General Theology which has been removed from view as it violates forum rules.

http://www.christianforums.com/showthread.php?postid=21669933#post21669933

Here are the problamatic parts of the post:

You quoted the OP: "And when I confronted them on these things in a thread called "The name calling is totally uncalled for" in the Religion forum, they mocked me. The interesting thing is that the atheists and agnostics commended me for my thread"

and replied:

"They knew that you'd hold they're hand on their way to hell."

quoted the op here: "And to those who respond to this in a hostile manner, I pray that God will curse you, so that you will see the folly of your ways, and repent! "

and replied: "Talk about immature...."

1.1 You may discuss another individual's beliefs or religious organization but you will not harass, insult, belittle, threaten, defame or flame the individual (member or non-member) as this is considered personal (ad hominem) attacks in posts, PMs and any other communication within the site.

There will be some staff action about this post including a note on your profile that we removed the post. If you continue to post in this manner, you will earn a ban, possibly from GT but even perhaps from Christian Forums.

thornygrace
General Theology moderator

<!-- / message -->

I recieved this via PM.

I guess they really do censor the truth over there.

Status
Not open for further replies.