Christian Nursery Worker 'Fired' for Telling Lesbian Colleague Homosexuality is a Sin

GFR7

If the news article is accurate, IMO it's a wrongful termination. According to the article, it was the co-worker who initiated the religious discussion and Mbuyi merely expressed her beliefs.

If that's accurate and there's nothing more to the story, then it's not at all fair to allow one person to express their beliefs but not another.
I agree: As the facts are presented, either there should be no talk of religious or social beliefs at all, or both sides should have freedom of speech (the latter adheres to democratic principles).

resodko

BANNED
Banned
are you suggesting that not only are you ignorant of what scripture says about homosexuality, but you believe homosexuality didn't exist in biblical times?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
It seems that once again, 'gay rights' trump Christian rights. What do you think of this story? Were the nursery right to fire the Christian?

If this is happening over here, it could easily happen in the US too (if it's not happening already).

Source: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/christian-childrens-worker-sacked-telling-5255342

Its ridiculous, especially since the lesbian came to her. I think a lot of lgbt people are deliberately targeting christians to attempt to harm them or in their own messed up thinking "force" christians to agree with them on their sin choices.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
There's no freedom of speech or right to free speech in the workplace. This is not about rights, and to confuse it for such is to not even have a basic understanding of what rights are.

Then you believe the lesbian did wrong by complaining about a church to the christian woman. She should have been fired too right?

Jedidiah

...I think a lot of lgbt people are deliberately targeting christians to attempt to harm them or in their own messed up thinking "force" christians to agree with them on their sin choices.
I also get this impression, and I think it's because of something Nick said in another thread, of which I also get the impression, that there is an agenda...
Promoting the behavior of sodomy as normal and acceptable....
...and it is not.

This angers LBGTQ's, I think...not all of them, but those pushing the agenda. (There are true Christian LBGTQ's, but they acknowledge that theirs is a damaged condition.)

I think mainly that the reason that homosexual behavior being sinful bothers these LBGTQ's (and non-LBGTQ's who nonetheless also push this agenda of "tolerance" and "acceptance" and "non-hate") is because they do not understand the Gospel. We are all damaged, we are all going to die, unless God's Kingdom comes before we depart this mortal coil.

lovemeorhateme

Good thing Christians have never done this to gays.

:yawn:

Christians don't usually go and bait gays with the purpose of going off and whinging to the nanny state government that they must force them to change their beliefs. Indeed, Christians understand that one has to make a free will choice to become a Christian. Free will seems to be becoming a concept which is increasingly lost on cry baby homosexuals.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Christians don't usually go and bait gays with the purpose of going off and whinging to the nanny state government that they must force them to change their beliefs. Indeed, Christians understand that one has to make a free will choice to become a Christian. Free will seems to be becoming a concept which is increasingly lost on cry baby homosexuals.

did you know nick exposed the positive rep you game him?

shagster01

Let me introduce you to aCW.

And gays don't "usually" do that either

Truths4yer

This post includes replies to;
1) lovemeorhateme
2) bybee
3) resodko

1) lovemeorhateme
Christians understand that one has to make a free will choice to become a Christian.
Which is why almost all Christians were born to Christian parents. Free will is such an important component of the indoctrination process.

Concerning the OP, if the article is accurate, which seems implausible, then it certainly is wrong for the theist to have been fired. They should have just as much freedom to discuss their superstition as any atheist has to inform them that their mythology is rationally indistinguishable from that of any other extant or long-dead culture. If the lesbian behaved as described then they're pathetic and I wouldn't be too cut up if they were fired but I highly doubt it is as clear cut as this stereotypical tale of Christian victimhood portrays it.

People should be able to discuss whatever they wish at work, provided it doesn't prevent them from working at roughly the same level of productivity and provided they refrain from discussing non-work related issues with a colleague if asked. This applies to all social interactions, whether in work or not.

This is the distinction between discussion and harassment and it is that distinction which defines if/when disciplinary action should be taken, though it certainly shouldn't be immediate redundancy for a first offence unless that offence was a protracted campaign of harassment, only reported after the fact.

There is an unpleasant tendency to demand immediate resignations/firings of anybody who's alleged transgressions become a matter of public discourse. Destroying people's careers on a whim is often worse than the purported offence.

2) bybee
Are you sure?
There is that thing called "Role Modeling"....
The Royal College of Psychiatrists:
"Despite almost a century of psychoanalytic and psychological speculation, there is no substantive evidence to support the suggestion that the nature of parenting or early childhood experiences have any role in the formation of a person’s fundamental heterosexual or homosexual orientation".

3) resodko
why are they letting homos work with children?
Why wouldn't they?

republicanchick

It seems that once again, 'gay rights' trump Christian rights. What do you think of this story? Were the nursery right to fire the Christian?

If this is happening over here, it could easily happen in the US too (if it's not happening already).

5255342[/url]

it is happening. I am very much persecuted for being Catholic and outspoken about what the Church teaches... and I am ashamed to say t hat many times I keep my mouth shut when I really... maybe should say something... but sometimes I know that if I say something, well, the consequences don't seem to be... God's will... and so there are times when one probably should keep quiet... but not ALL the time... not hardly...

a lot of Catholics live in a closet..

+++

Truths4yer

because homos are disgusting perverts
and children shouldn't be exposed to disusting perverts
You haven't formulated a rational argument. You've expressed what appears to be prejudicially motivated condemnation. Please note that I'm not definitively concluding that your condemnation is prejudicially motivated but the fact that you neglected to provide a consistently applicable rationale for it suggests so.

There are other reasons to consider this probable of course;
K. Taylor, 2007 The British Journal of Social Psychology, 46(3), 597-617:
"Findings suggest that bigotry may be distinguished by high levels of disgust."

Hodson & Costello, 2007, Psychological Science, 18(8), 691-698:
"Interpersonal-disgust sensitivity (e.g., not wanting to wear clean used clothes or to sit on a warm seat vacated by a stranger) in particular predicted negative attitudes toward immigrants, foreigners, and socially deviant groups... These results establish a link between disgust sensitivity and prejudice".

Please prove me wrong.

republicanchick

because homos are disgusting perverts
and
children shouldn't be exposed to disusting perverts

not only children

but people who like to have their mind in a ... healthy condition

it is not only children who should be protected from perversion... All those adults who do not choose to be exposed.. should be protected

(though esp children, since they cannot process things, not good at saying, "Oh, wow, this is thoroughly disgusting and despicable and I am going to blot it out of my mind"

heck, even adults cannot do that very well

(which brings us back to: adults don't want/need to be exposed to perversity either)

+

resodko

BANNED
Banned
You haven't formulated a rational argument.

sure i have, i just haven't laid it out in a formal fashion and i've skipped quite a few steps that most people would be able to fill in without any difficulty

i'll fill in some of the blanks for you, but i don't have a whole lot of time for this:

1. homosexuality is a perversion of God's design
2. those who practice homosexuality are acting contrary to God's design, ie. they are perverting God's design
3. therefore, those who practice homosexuality are perverts

1a. Children are easily influenced by those to whom they are exposed, especially in roles of authority
2a. Children should not be exposed to bad influences
3a. Perversity is a bad influence

therefore, children should not be exposed to perverted homosexuals