Christian Man Asks Thirteen Gay Bakeries To Bake Him Pro-Traditional Marriage Cake

Jedidiah

So if a gay baker declines to make you a cake with "gay marriage is wrong" on it, he is not infringing on your ability to practice your religion, right?
I don't think so, no.

But what if there were a symbol that expresses loving disapproval of LBGTQ-marriage ? It used to be the Cross, so I'm positing a hypothetical in which there is a such a symbol. If I want the baker to have that hypothetical symbol on it, and just for argument's sake, let's say it's the Cross, as it used to be seen as just such a symbol until the rainbow coalition infiltrated many denominations, and they refuse, then this would be the same as a Christian baker denying a customer a cake with two brides/grooms, because two brides/grooms is a symbol that means approval of LBGTQ-marriage.

jeremysdemo

But homosexuals have made legitimate requests for service and been denied. And because of that fact, I don't see your comparison as a valid one.

and the Christian baker I watched win the case was able to refuse service based on their beliefs of not wanting to support that marriage.

I've got no problem with that, I only ask they be fair across the board and also deny service to every other sinner that walks in, they will have to do do diligence of course and get to know every one of them personally and dig deep (some people are rather good at hiding their sins) otherwise inevitable hypocrisy will ensue.

The bottom line here is just because we CAN do something (like refuse service to gays) based on religious freedom does not mean we should.

It's like I have the right to go outside and make a huge noise waking everyone up on my block at 5AM as long as it does not break local sound ordinance....but I would not do that purposefully because I care for my neighbors and would not want that done to me, back to the golden rule of Jesus and the Law of God.

Christians and gays are getting too hung up here on the law and what can or cant be done legally and seem to be missing the obvious and that is what the right thing to do is, if we need laws to dictate that rather than the Spirit we are still lost indeed.....

but I digress.... ;)

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I wonder if the Christian bakers who refused to make a cake for a gay wedding would also refuse to make a cake for a gay couple's anniversary. Or an unmarried, co-habitating straight couple's anniversary. Or someone who wants a cake to celebrate a divorce. The gay couple's anniversary is the best analogy but the other things are close to serving a purpose that most Christians would disapprove of.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
and the Christian baker I watched win the case was able to refuse service based on their beliefs of not wanting to support that marriage.

I've got no problem with that, I only ask they be fair across the board and also deny service to every other sinner that walks in, they will have to do do diligence of course and get to know every one of them personally and dig deep (some people are rather good at hiding their sins) otherwise inevitable hypocrisy will ensue.
To repeat Lighthouse's point, they wouldn't have to do due diligence on all their customers because it's not about the sins of the customers; it's about the purpose of the requested cake.

Jose Fly

I don't think so, no.
Ok, good.

But what if there were a symbol that expresses loving disapproval of LBGTQ-marriage ? It used to be the Cross, so I'm positing a hypothetical in which there is a such a symbol. If I want the baker to have that hypothetical symbol on it, and just for argument's sake, let's say it's the Cross, as it used to be seen as just such a symbol until the rainbow coalition infiltrated many denominations, and they refuse, then this would be the same as a Christian baker denying a customer a cake with two brides/grooms, because two brides/grooms is a symbol that means approval of LBGTQ-marriage.
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Are you talking about requesting a cake with a cross on it from a gay baker, who then refuses?

jeremysdemo

To repeat Lighthouse's point, they wouldn't have to do due diligence on all their customers because it's not about the sins of the customers; it's about the purpose of the requested cake.

the purpose of the cake is to be used for a sin in their view?

what other reason are they being denied? if not for gay marriage being a sin according to their faith?

I am trying to follow....but I will go back to just because we can do something legally does not mean we should.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
So we should ask people what they plan to do with anything they purchase? As problematic or, failing, as hypocritical. We only need to be concerned if someone lets us know?

Who knows, that linen may be used in a gay wedding. Those steak knives? What are you buying that sugar and flour for? Are you thinking of baking a cake for a gay wedding? :plain:

jeremysdemo

btw, lighthouse didn't have a point,

mainly because he was all up in the koolaid and didn't know the flavor,

most of what he said to me, I've already said to others in the thread. ;)

so he failed to read the thread and all I said first. :hammer:

Doom

So we should ask people what they plan to do with anything they purchase? As problematic or, failing, as hypocritical. We only need to be concerned if someone lets us know?

Who knows, that linen may be used in a gay wedding. Those steak knives? What are you buying that sugar and flour for? Are you thinking of baking a cake for a gay wedding? :plain:

"If one of the unbelievers invites you and you want to go, eat anything that is set before you without asking questions for conscience’ sake. But if anyone says to you, “This is meat sacrificed to idols,” do not eat it, for the sake of the one who informed you, and for conscience’ sake" 1 Cor 10:28

Jedidiah

...Are you talking about requesting a cake with a cross on it from a gay baker, who then refuses?
I'm talking about a hypothetical world unfortunately, where the historic symbol of the Christian faith the Cross, which historically would represent loving disapproval of LGBTQ-marriage, and does not do so today, is requested on a wedding cake. Today in the wrong company it represents hate, or even approval of LGBTQ-marriage. An LGBTQ baker who's asked to bake a cake with a Cross on it in my hypothetical world, would only then be asked to do the same thing that Christian bakers are asked to do in baking cakes with two grooms/brides, or other rainbow coalition symbols.

It's hypothetical. We no longer possess such a symbol because the rainbow coalition nabbed it through infiltration of many Christian denominations, along with the rainbow symbol itself. I'm guessing that part of the frustration that motivated the perpetrators of the scheme in the OP, is that they have to use words to express their faith rather than symbols, while the rainbow coalition has plenty of symbols and have even neutralized, if not totally hijacked the symbol of the Cross.

Jose Fly

An LGBTQ baker who's asked to bake a cake with a Cross on it in my hypothetical world, would only then be asked to do the same thing that Christian bakers are asked to do in baking cakes with two grooms/brides, or other rainbow coalition symbols.
I'm pretty sure the gay baker couldn't discriminate on the basis of religion.

Jedidiah

I'm pretty sure the gay baker couldn't discriminate on the basis of religion.
Why not ? I wouldn't have a Christian baker forced by law to bake a two-groom/bride cake, and I wouldn't have an LGBTQ baker forced by law to bake a cake with a Cross on it (in my hypothetical world where the Cross represents as it always has until recently loving disapproval of LGBTQ-marriage). :idunno: We have the right to be anti-religion just as much as religious.

Jose Fly

Why not ?
Because anti-discrimination laws prohibit discrimination on the basis of religion.

I wouldn't have a Christian baker forced by law to bake a two-groom/bride cake, and I wouldn't have an LGBTQ baker forced by law to bake a cake with a Cross on it
The law says otherwise.

We have the right to be anti-religion just as much as religious.
Not when operating a business that is open to the public.

Jedidiah

Because anti-discrimination laws prohibit discrimination on the basis of religion...
Then anti-discrimination law violates the First Amendment, when it forbids a Christian from abstaining from participating in the promulgation of views directly opposed to their Christian faith. It's emperor worship in sheep's clothing.
...Not when operating a business that is open to the public.
I fail to see how it is a crime to refuse to participate in the promulgation of views directly opposed to the Christian faith. Perhaps you can lay it out for me ?

gcthomas

Then anti-discrimination law violates the First Amendment, when it forbids a Christian from abstaining from participating in the promulgation of views directly opposed to their Christian faith.

No, it doesn't according to the Supreme Court.

"Freedom of religion means freedom to hold an opinion or belief, but not to take action in violation of social duties or subversive to good order," Chief Justice Waite wrote in Reynolds v. United States (1878).​
here.