Carbon dioxide is a greenhouse gas

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
fig11.jpg

Greg Jennings

Water vapor is a greenhouse gas in that it causes warmth by absorbing radiation mainly in the 18 to 30 micrometer band, allowing most of the rest to escape into space. But CO2 absorbs radiation in a different range: 8 to 18 micrometers. CO2 absorbs infrared radiation that water vapor would allow to pass through the atmosphere and into outer space. Radiation absorption causes warmth. Increasing levels of CO2 in the atmosphere means more radiation absorption, and therefore increased warmth. CO2 is a greenhouse gas:

CO2 is. That’s why climate change will happen faster as forests are cut down more and more - the trees get rid of that CO2

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
We need to feed 7.6 billion people and keep them warm and cool and move them around. The good news is people will do whatever is cheapest so as soon as I can heat my house in the winter with electricity without it costing 3 times as much I will definitely do that.

Why do you think we're starting to see so many solar cells on roofs? It matters where you are, of course. We have a lot of it in Dallas, because lots of sun means more power for fewer cells. Technology keeps running the cost lower; but the payout is still beyond my reasonable expiration date. As you said, people do it when there's a cost benefit.

A big deal is the discovery that inexpensive minerals can be used to make efficient cells:
"There is currently a lot of excitement about passivating contacts among the solar cell community," said Dr. Byungsul Min at the Institute for Solar Energy Research in Hamelin (ISFH), Germany. This year, the technology allowed his laboratory to set a new record efficiency of 26.1% for the kind of solar cells the kind that dominates the photovoltaics market. Commercial solar panels currently operate with an efficiency of around 20%.
https://phys.org/news/2018-11-record-breaking-solar-cells-ready-mass.html#jCp

Cars as well, I purchased an battery operated lawn mower this summer and after I got over the sticker shock I'm in love with the thing. No fuel, no oil, no filters or chokes, no priming bulb, no spark plug, you can hang it on the wall like art when it's winter.

But you'll notice that's $300, I could have purchased a comparable gas unit for half the cost;

Heard of WOOT!? I picked up a Black and Decker cordless electric mower for a lot less than that. I've had it about 8 years. Only maintenance is sharpening blades, and inside, it's rather modular, so batteries and motor can easily be replaced. Hooked it up to a solar charger in my shed, so it's just about cost-free.

The curve on electric cars is moving in the right direction. And you're right to wait until it works for you.

Last edited:

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
CO2 is. That’s why climate change will happen faster as forests are cut down more and more - the trees get rid of that CO2

It has an effect. But fortunately, most carbon is taken up by phytoplankton in the oceans. The notion that excess carbon can be absorbed by plants is a flawed one, because other nutrients are the limiting factor in plant growth. For example, scattering huge quantities of soluble iron over the oceans would increase carbon dioxide uptake by increasing the mass of phytoplankton.