Can I say that there is no penalty for sin?

Gary K

Banned
Jacob, you can say anything your heart desires. Whether or not something you say is true or not is another question altogether.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
There is no penalty for sin.

Now, is it correct?

Incorrect!

Hebrews 9:22 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
22 And according to the Law, one may almost say, all things are cleansed with blood, and without shedding of blood there is no forgiveness.

Aimiel

There are consequences for everything. Whatsoever a man sows: that shall he also reap. If you sin: you sow the result. Whether you'll be able to recover what was lost due to that sin or not is another question. One who might be contemplating sexual sin, who runs across your post, saying that there is no consequence for sin, might say to himself: "I'm Christian, according to what I've read there's no consequence for sin, since I'm forgiven." If he has intercourse with someone, contracts a disease and dies, that is a consequence. Every idle word that men shall speak: they shall give account of on judgement day. How much more will men have to answer for their willful disobedience? We need to not only watch what we do but also what we say.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Incorrect!

Hebrews 9:22 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
22 And according to the Law, one may almost say, all things are cleansed with blood, and without shedding of blood there is no forgiveness.

So what is the penalty then?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
OK. Do you think that is a true statement? If so why? If not why? What is the evidence either way?

I know Jesus died for me but I want to obey God and I think that it doesn't make sense that the Law would be abolished such that no one needs to worry about it any longer.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
There are consequences for everything. Whatsoever a man sows: that shall he also reap. If you sin: you sow the result. Whether you'll be able to recover what was lost due to that sin or not is another question. One who might be contemplating sexual sin, who runs across your post, saying that there is no consequence for sin, might say to himself: "I'm Christian, according to what I've read there's no consequence for sin, since I'm forgiven." If he has intercourse with someone, contracts a disease and dies, that is a consequence. Every idle word that men shall speak: they shall give account of on judgement day. How much more will men have to answer for their willful disobedience? We need to not only watch what we do but also what we say.

Amen. I should watch what I say. Disease? Of course that might be a consequence. Regardless, is it a consequence of sin or of having sex with someone who has a disease? I am not well enough educated to know. My point is that we should obey God not because we might get a disease but because there is consequence for sin, disease or not.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
The penalty has been paid by the shed blood of Jesus Christ.

What penalty? How do I know that it has been paid?

In other words, a penalty for a specific sin? A penalty for sin in general?

And, if a penalty is paid what happened to the penalty? Was it ever there? What was the penalty?

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What penalty? How do I know that it has been paid?

In other words, a penalty for a specific sin? A penalty for sin in general?

And, if a penalty is paid what happened to the penalty? Was it ever there? What was the penalty?

1 Peter 2:24 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
24 and He Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross, so that we might die to sin and live to righteousness; for by His wounds you were healed.

1 John 2:2 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
2 and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
1 Peter 2:24 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
24 and He Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross, so that we might die to sin and live to righteousness; for by His wounds you were healed.

1 John 2:2 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
2 and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world.

What is the penalty and what might it mean for it to have been paid? If it has been paid is there no penalty?

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What is the penalty and what might it mean for it to have been paid? If it has been paid is there no penalty?

The penalty for your sin was paid by the shed blood of Jesus! The penalty has been paid. Do you feel that that gives you a license to sin?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
The penalty for your sin was paid by the shed blood of Jesus! The penalty has been paid. Do you feel that that gives you a license to sin?

No. But maybe I will not sin if there is no penalty.

A penalty either means that I have not been forgiven or that the Law provides penalty for even the believer who transgresses.

oatmeal

Is it okay and can I rightly say that there is no penalty for sin?

God paid the price for sin by the giving of his son.

There is no penalty from God

However, that does not mean that you won't condemn yourself into oblivion nor does it guarantee that others won't try to take vengeance on you just or unjustly.

God does not condemn but our adversary the Devil and people will try to condemn you

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
God paid the price for sin by the giving of his son.

There is no penalty from God

However, that does not mean that you won't condemn yourself into oblivion nor does it guarantee that others won't try to take vengeance on you just or unjustly.

God does not condemn but our adversary the Devil and people will try to condemn you

If you have done nothing wrong? Or, what if you have?

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No. But maybe I will not sin if there is no penalty.

A penalty either means that I have not been forgiven or that the Law provides penalty for even the believer who transgresses.

The blood of the Savior that you are following paid the price for your sin, otherwise you would be responsible and unable to pay for your sin.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
True. But because I am a believer is there no punishment for my sin?
No punishment. He paid the price for your sin.

Did Jesus die for all sins?
by Matt Slick
11/27/13

In one sense Jesus died for all sins, but in another, he did not. He died for all the sins of anyone who trusts in him; otherwise, a person could not be saved from God's righteous judgment. But, in another sense, Jesus did not die for blasphemy of the Holy Spirit because that is unforgivable. "Therefore I say to you, any sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven men, but blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven," (Matt. 12:31). Some people say that Jesus did not die for unbelief, but that can't be true because there are plenty of people who did not believe in Jesus but then did believe later. If it was unforgivable, then anyone who did not believe in Jesus could ever later be saved.

When we are speaking of Christians, we say that Jesus paid for all of their sins; past, present, and future. 1 Peter 2:24 says that Jesus bore our sins in his body on the cross. Therefore, we have to conclude that Jesus bore all of our sins. This means that every sin you committed that you are aware of, as well as unaware of, has been paid for by the Lord Jesus. God, who knows all things (1 John 3:20), knows every sin you have committed and will commit. In order for you to be saved, every sin that you will ever be guilty of was paid for by Jesus on the cross.

Nevertheless, there is a debate within Christianity as to whether or not Jesus paid for the sins of those who are in hell. Some say that he did, but because they did not trust in Christ as Savior, then forgiveness was not given to them. Others (Calvinists) say that Jesus only paid for the sins of those who are redeemed; otherwise, there are people in hell whose sins have been paid for. Whichever position you hold, you must understand that the only way to be forgiven of your sins is for Jesus to pay for them, and you must trust in what he has done on the cross as a sacrifice. So, if you are a believer, then Jesus has most definitely paid for all of your sins. But, as I stated above, blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is unforgivable. Therefore, Jesus did not pay for that sin.

If by chance you are a Christian who is concerned if you have committed the sin of blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, don't worry. If you're concerned about it, then you have not committed it because it would mean your sins were not forgiven and the Holy Spirit would not be in you convicting you.