Can anyone reccomend any good christian movies?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Its hard to know what christian movies are good and which ones are not so great... i regularly find when trying to review a christian movie before getting it or renting one, that the reviews at first glance dont seem so hot, even for the really good ones - and upon closer inspection, there seems to be many non believers who rate them horribly so in this case a lot of times you cant trust the reviews...

I saw this one last night, i thought it was really good:

The Encounter - http://www.christianfilmdatabase.com/review/the-encounter/

Anyway does anyone know of some that are really good? Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
A movie called; "A man called Peter." Excellent film from quite a few years ago. It's about the life of Dr. Peter Marshal. It's a great Christian film!! It stars Richard Todd....

OMEGA

How about the Classics - The 10 Commandments or Ben Hur ?

This is the kind of movie that I find make me appreciate

The Work of Christ .

Joh 1:3 All things were made by him;
and without him was not any thing made that was made.:thumb:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dne6rnITayI

Last edited:

Lon

Do try Movie Guide as well. I trust them like I would, well, like I would for those giving me movie titles here :)

Some of my favorites:
The Champion with Carman (like a Christian version of Rocky)

Courageous, I have not seen yet but like it is
Fireproof, a really good movie about christian marriages lasting through the storm with Kirk Cameron.

The Hiding Place and China Cry. Both true story accounts.

The Inn of 6th Happiness is about a missionary woman in China. I believe there are several versions but I saw the one with Ingrid Bergman.

Billy Graham's movie ministry puts out some reputable films too.
One that I like was Cry from the Mountain. I believe his studio is called world-wide pictures.

The End of The Spear is about the martyrdom of Jim Elliott and friends who were trying to bring the Auca tribe to Christ. It is a good story but it needs the second half made. His wife, Elizabeth, went back years later and lived with the tribe that killed her husband.

MovieGuide.org will have all of these listed. They also do a really good job of talking about every major movie produced, not just Christian, from a conservative Christian perspective.
His Blessings

-Lon

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
lol i mean movies that have a christian theme / message

That was going to be my question. As long as a movie doesn't promote evil, it is mostly ok. When the theme of the movie shows evil acts in a positive spin, then it is a problem.

EMETH

Angel I love good movies unfortunately good Christian ones can be hard to find but there are a few I can recommend.

"Soul Surfer" based on a true story and a very uplifting movie. If you get the DVD of this make sure to watch the documentary in the extras created by the girls brother it is really worth watching.

"Book of Eli" If your not to put off by the language and violence this is a very good movie. The star Denzel Washington apperently lobbied to put more Biblical content in the film than was first planned.

"Luther" the story of his role in the reformation.

Amazing Grace the story of one of my personal heroes and his fight against the slave trade.

Prince of Egypt as a fan of animated films I really like this one. The same studio released a direct to video movie about Joseph. Joseph King of Dreams which while ok wasn't as good as "Prince"

Some of the old classic "sword and sandal" movies like "The Robe", "Demetrious and the Gladiators" & "Quo Vadis" are worth checking out if you can ignore the large historical liberties they take.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Do try Movie Guide as well. I trust them like I would, well, like I would for those giving me movie titles here :)

Some of my favorites:
The Champion with Carman (like a Christian version of Rocky)

Courageous, I have not seen yet but like it is
Fireproof, a really good movie about christian marriages lasting through the storm with Kirk Cameron.

The Hiding Place and China Cry. Both true story accounts.

The Inn of 6th Happiness is about a missionary woman in China. I believe there are several versions but I saw the one with Ingrid Bergman.

Billy Graham's movie ministry puts out some reputable films too.
One that I like was Cry from the Mountain. I believe his studio is called world-wide pictures.

The End of The Spear is about the martyrdom of Jim Elliott and friends who were trying to bring the Auca tribe to Christ. It is a good story but it needs the second half made. His wife, Elizabeth, went back years later and lived with the tribe that killed her husband.

MovieGuide.org will have all of these listed. They also do a really good job of talking about every major movie produced, not just Christian, from a conservative Christian perspective.
His Blessings

-Lon
Thanks! Ive seen the ones bolded, and agree, they are great movies, and you need to see courageous, its very good!

Not a christian movie, seen it though. Why do you think that is a christian movie?

That was going to be my question. As long as a movie doesn't promote evil, it is mostly ok. When the theme of the movie shows evil acts in a positive spin, then it is a problem.
Amen :thumb:
Check out Courageous. :up:

Thank you, ive seen it and its a very good movie, agree :)

Angel I love good movies unfortunately good Christian ones can be hard to find but there are a few I can recommend.

"Soul Surfer" based on a true story and a very uplifting movie. If you get the DVD of this make sure to watch the documentary in the extras created by the girls brother it is really worth watching.

"Book of Eli" If your not to put off by the language and violence this is a very good movie. The star Denzel Washington apperently lobbied to put more Biblical content in the film than was first planned.

"Luther" the story of his role in the reformation.

Amazing Grace the story of one of my personal heroes and his fight against the slave trade.

Prince of Egypt as a fan of animated films I really like this one. The same studio released a direct to video movie about Joseph. Joseph King of Dreams which while ok wasn't as good as "Prince"

Some of the old classic "sword and sandal" movies like "The Robe", "Demetrious and the Gladiators" & "Quo Vadis" are worth checking out if you can ignore the large historical liberties they take.

Thank you! The only one there ive seen is The book Eli, excellent movie :)

OCTOBER23

The Wife and I saw these movies recently...

SPONGE BOB SQUARE PANTS - inspired STRENGTH OF CHARACTER

FROZEN - inspired LOVE and Perseverance and faithfulness

PADDINGTON BEAR - inspired Patience and Compassion

BIG MAN 6 - inspired Friendship and adaptability

nikolai_42

Its hard to know what christian movies are good and which ones are not so great... i regularly find when trying to review a christian movie before getting it or renting one, that the reviews at first glance dont seem so hot, even for the really good ones - and upon closer inspection, there seems to be many non believers who rate them horribly so in this case a lot of times you cant trust the reviews...

I saw this one last night, i thought it was really good:

The Encounter - http://www.christianfilmdatabase.com/review/the-encounter/

Anyway does anyone know of some that are really good? Thanks in advance :)

My disclaimer - I'm a little old-fashioned in taste and you will probably already be aware of most of these.

Well....maybe it goes without saying, but right near the top of the list has to be Chariots of Fire

And what about The Ten Commandments?

Staying with biblical renderings, I loved The Gospel of John even though I rarely appreciate anything transcribed from any version besides the KJV. It worked (largely because I know the book well enough that the version was secondary). And while I don't tend to like movies that have visual depictions of Jesus, the dialogue took center stage.

Also...you might try The Book of Daniel. It wasn't Oscar material, but it beats Hallmark....

Another one that is good because historical and in which the protagonist holds to his principles (moral, if not Godly) is A Man For All Seasons (I recommend this version - not the one with Charlton Heston...though he was great in Ten Commandments)

A more recent movie that I loved was Luther. Great to see a mainstream film do some justice to Christian history.

Finally, if you're looking for comedy, I enjoyed Mom's Night Out. Nothing too heavy and not what I'd call a Christian movie, but nothing objectionable (that I recall).

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Joshua

I saw that on DVD back in 02 or 03. It is obvious allegory for the Lord Jesus Christ. The trailer doesn't really provide the theme of the movie.