California, first state to shut down due to Covid-19, reopens today

Right Divider

Body part
I know basic math is really hard for you,
Your insults are vain.
but I'll try it again: Florida has half the population of California, and yet Florida's current deaths from covid are now equal to California's at its highest peak.
No, they are not.
And outside of Florida's and California's peak deaths, Florida's deaths have rivaled California's deaths. Again, Florida has accomplished this with only half of California's population. Get it now?
And again:
Florida was entirely open the entire time.
California had draconian lock downs and destroyed peoples lives. Also, please take into account the ADDITIONAL deaths related to lock downs. You cannot JUST look at "covid deaths" (which are over-counted to begin with).

I know that those things are meaningless to you. But many of us are willing to take a little risk to maintain our freedom and prosperity.

P.S. Also note that Florida has the oldest population for a state, while California is one of the youngest.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

marke

Insults? I was merely stating facts.

Yes, Florida has half the population of California, and yet Florida's current deaths from covid are now equal to California's at its highest peak. But go ahead and prove me wrong by citing the numbers.

How many mined data points are you using? Two? Propaganda based upon two points is not nearly accurate as conclusions based upon dozens of facts. Take the death rates from covid in Florida compared to those in California, for example. In California, 72% of covid deaths are in the 65+ years old category. In Florida, 83% of covid deaths are in that age group. But only 85% of California seniors are vaccinated while 90% of Florida seniors are vaccinated.

Put those facts into your calculations and you will find that increased vaccinations did not result in decreased covid deaths.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
Florida has the oldest population for a state, while California is one of the youngest.
Florida's population is not twice as old as California's:

Average age in California: 36.5 years (2019)
Average age in Florida: 42 years (2019)

I'm a lead software engineer. My math skills are just fine.

But here are the numbers, as of mid-August: Texas, with 63.6 percent as many people as California, had 80% as many cases since the pandemic began. That’s a 17% differential in California’s favor. The contrast with Florida is as dramatic: The Sunshine state, with 53% as many people, had 70% as many cases, also a 17% differential.

Last edited:

marke

Florida's population is not twice as old as California's:

Average age in California: 36.5 years (2019)
Average age in Florida: 42 years (2019)

But here are the numbers, as of mid-August: Texas, with 63.6 percent as many people as California, had 80% as many cases since the pandemic began. That’s a 17% differential in California’s favor. The contrast with Florida is as dramatic: The Sunshine state, with 53% as many people, had 70% as many cases, also a 17% differential.

Vaccination rates among older Florida residents are higher than vaccination rates among older California residents and yet a greater number of older Floridians per capita are dying than are older California residents. Go ahead and draw a conclusion if you like because there is no way the facts show that higher vaccination rates lead to lower covid deaths.

marke

And now Florida's current death rate matches California's record high death rate from last year, and Florida is doing that with only half of California's population!
The vaccination rate among older Floridians is 90% and yet 83% of all covid deaths in Florida are among that age group. Public spokespeople need to incorporate facts like these in their narratives because leaving out dozens of pertinent data points leads to the obvious conclusion that the limited number of data points used are specifically mined to draw unreasonable conclusions and propagate dishonest narratives.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
The vaccination rate among older Floridians is 90% and yet 83% of all covid deaths in Florida are among that age group. Public spokespeople need to incorporate facts like these in their narratives because leaving out dozens of pertinent data points leads to the obvious conclusion that the limited number of data points used are specifically mined to draw unreasonable conclusions and propagate dishonest narratives.

The older you are, the more likely you are to die from Covid. You increase your chances of surviving Covid by being vaccinated.

Here are some numbers from last month to back that up.

New data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention suggests 99.999% of people who were fully vaccinated against COVID-19 did not have a severe breakthrough case that led to hospitalization or death.
  • Per the CDC, more than 166 million people have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
  • The new data suggests 1,507 people (about 0.0001%) of those fully vaccinated people died from COVID-19.
  • Meanwhile, 7,101 people of those fully vaccinated people (about 0.005%) were hospitalized from COVID-19.

marke

The older you are, the more likely you are to die from Covid. You increase your chances of surviving Covid by being vaccinated.

Here are some numbers from last month to back that up.

New data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention suggests 99.999% of people who were fully vaccinated against COVID-19 did not have a severe breakthrough case that led to hospitalization or death.
  • Per the CDC, more than 166 million people have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
  • The new data suggests 1,507 people (about 0.0001%) of those fully vaccinated people died from COVID-19.
  • Meanwhile, 7,101 people of those fully vaccinated people (about 0.005%) were hospitalized from COVID-19.

77% of all covid deaths in the US have been 65 years old and older. 6 states with the highest covid death rates are solidly blue democrat, 1 is purple, 1 is blue/purple, and two are red republican. Red Republican Florida has had less demanding masking and vaccination requirements, and it sits at 10th on the list of most covid deaths per capita. New Jersey has had some of the most stringent masking and vaccination mandates and the death rate from covid is next to the highest of all states in the union.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I'm guessing two things. 1. You have no idea what the rate is, and 2. You don't believe the rate is 90%.

I didn't know the rate for over 65s was 90% in Florida. I was indeed surprised.

That doesn't change the fact that the older you are, the greater the chance is that you'll die from Covid, so it's not surprising that's where the higher death count is, regardless of state. But if you're vaccinated, you have a greater chance of surviving Covid.

marke

I didn't know the rate for over 65s was 90% in Florida. I was indeed surprised.

That doesn't change the fact that the older you are, the greater the chance is that you'll die from Covid, so it's not surprising that's where the higher death count is, regardless of state. But if you're vaccinated, you have a greater chance of surviving Covid.
How does one determine whether or not the chances of dying from covid among the unvaccinated are less than among the vaccinated due to vaccinations and not pre-existing conditions or some other factor? If three young people out of a group of 300,000 die from covid and only one was vaccinated does that inspire confidence in the vaccine?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
How does one determine whether or not the chances of dying from covid among the unvaccinated are less than among the vaccinated due to vaccinations and not pre-existing conditions or some other factor?

Deaths and hospitalizations are overwhelmingly in the unvaccinated population. I gave you the numbers a few posts ago.