Bob Debates Atheist Dr. John Henderson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caledvwlch

Dread Helm said:
My favorite quote of the show.....

Dr. John: You can only know what your five senses tell you.
Bob: Which of your five senses told you that?
Dr. John: My brain.
Bob: Your brain isn't one of your five senses John....

Caledvwlch said:
BE asked this textbook apologetics question:

If you can only know what your five senses tell you, which of those five senses told you so? (paraphrased)

In response I would pose a similar question:

How many things do you know that you did not learn from your five senses?
I'm still curious as to what anybody thinks of my question.

Is it a pertinent question to the discussion? It's unfortunate that they got off this topic after the accidental disconnect.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Caledvwlch said:

Is it a pertinent question to the discussion? It's unfortunate that they got off this topic after the accidental disconnect.

I believe Marley posed this very question to Scrooge during their confrontation: what evidence do you have of my reality beyond your own senses? Moreover, why do you doubt your senses?

Greywolf

Caledvwlch said:

I'd argue that the only real source of information we have is our senses, but we also have the ability to analyze that information and come to conclusions.

For instance, I may be walking along and suddenly feel a pain in my foot. I look at my foot and see that there's a cut there. From that I deduce that I just cut my foot on something; and while this conclusion may not have come directly from my senses, it did come from information that I recieved through my senses.

So rather than saying "You can only know what your five senses tell you.", I'd say "Our only source of information is our five senses.".

Granite

Hall of Fame
I think Enyart was trying to get into a discussion about consciousness and where it comes from...

fool

Hall of Fame
Granite said:
I think Enyart was trying to get into a discussion about consciousness and where it comes from...
Which way does that horse usually head?

michaelwmoss

Dread Helm said:
My favorite quote of the show.....Dr. John: You can only know what your five senses tell you.
Bob: Which of your five senses told you that?
Dr. John: My brain.
Bob: Your brain isn't one of your five senses John....

Didn't hear the "6th" sense mentioned in this show. While mostly seen in animals (Watch the actions of animals right before a storm, you will notice a difference) Humans actually have this sense as well, but have forgotten how to use it though.

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Knight said:
:shocked: Uh... if Dr. John got you re-considering atheism that isn't a good sign. :D

That guy was as dumb as a brick.

It was funny because he was like "the ignorant atheist". Not only was he ignorant regarding Christianity but he was ignorant regarding his own world view. If you are going to write books about atheism you should at least know the topic just a bit. Know the arguments so you can speak on the issue without sounding like a numbskull.

The guy lives by blind faith. He trusts whatever the scientists say (the scientists that agree with his position) and he even admits that he is ignorant on several scientific topics.

He is a hypocrite. He claims that Christians believe whatever a pastor tells them to believe (which is not true) and then he does the same thing regarding certain scientists.

Granite

Hall of Fame
fool said:
Which way does that horse usually head?

The existence of a "soul" is where is usually goes. For whatever reason the existence of human sentience is taken by some theists as "proof" of God's existence.

JoyfulRook

michaelwmoss said:
Didn't hear the "6th" sense mentioned in this show. While mostly seen in animals (Watch the actions of animals right before a storm, you will notice a difference) Humans actually have this sense as well, but have forgotten how to use it though.
Yeah, I didn't hear anything about the 6th sense either, but seeing as they weren't talking about sci-fi, that's probably a good thing.

One Eyed Jack

Granite said:
I believe Marley posed this very question to Scrooge during their confrontation: what evidence do you have of my reality beyond your own senses?

Cogito ergo sum. You could gouge out your eyes, rupture your eardrums, cut out your tongue, burn off your nose, and deaden all the nerve endings in your skin -- and you'd still be aware of your own existence.

Granite

Hall of Fame
One Eyed Jack said:
Cogito ergo sum. You could gouge out your eyes, rupture your eardrums, cut out your tongue, burn off your nose, and deaden all the nerve endings in your skin -- and you'd still be aware of your own existence.

Quite true but self-awareness is not evidence of a personal creator (much less a Judeo-Christian one). Theists assume it is so without taking a more prosaic route: consciousness is a chemical reaction housed within the organ your skull protects.

I think, therefore, I am. Simple self-declarative no-confusion-possible proclamation.

Granite

Hall of Fame
One Eyed Jack said:
I'm simply pointing out that there are some things of which one can be aware without relying on the five senses.

Agreed. Johnny Got His Gun comes to mind (though he was not deprived of all sensory input).

michaelwmoss

Granite said:
Quite true but self-awareness is not evidence of a personal creator (much less a Judeo-Christian one). Theists assume it is so without taking a more prosaic route: consciousness is a chemical reaction housed within the organ your skull protects.

I think, therefore, I am. Simple self-declarative no-confusion-possible proclamation.

Chemical Reactions are only part of it:

http://face-and-emotion.com/dataface/emotion/theories.jsp

As you can see here, most of the findings have been "Theorized" In other words, scientists really aren't sure that it's all chemical reactions at work here.

Fensanity

I was impressed :mrt:

Some times talking to a stupid person is hard, because they catch you with such a dumb counter or such a dumb - out of context (or off subject) comment that it takes you(or at least me) a few minutes to figure out how they got there. But Bob sorted through his dumb statements so fast. Experience experience experience... I know.

It is too bad though they didn't have a real pro in there to talk about some of those issues... but it was entertaining none the less.

Status
Not open for further replies.