Big Barbie

Mark M

Barbie’s maker Mattel is dragging itself into the 21st century with a new line of dolls intended to reflect the modern world – but the internet is having very mixed feelings about it.
Often criticized for a portrayal of women focusing on white, tall, and disproportionately thin dolls, Mattel has introduced three new body types for its most famous creation – curvy, tall, and petite.

I wish i could post images but don't know how. Can anyone find some pictures?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Barbie’s maker Mattel is dragging itself into the 21st century with a new line of dolls intended to reflect the modern world – but the internet is having very mixed feelings about it.
Often criticized for a portrayal of women focusing on white, tall, and disproportionately thin dolls, Mattel has introduced three new body types for its most famous creation – curvy, tall, and petite.

I wish i could post images but don't know how. Can anyone find some pictures?

http://shop.mattel.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=45063936

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Thank you. I heard there was a fat one with a triple chin. I saw it online but I can't post pics. Gosh I didn't know they had so many!

You're welcome. :)

It looks like they are trying to make them look more like your everyday Josephine rather than little mini models.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

First World problem.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
big-barbie2.jpg

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
i believe this sort of thing has been tried before (not with Barbie) and nobody's bought them

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I might not be too popular in this, but dolls that look like real people have always been more appealing to me when I was a kid.

bybee

I might not be too popular in this, but dolls that look like real people have always been more appealing to me when I was a kid.

Agreed. As a little girl I loved baby dolls. As I grew older my favorite doll was modeled in shape on a young girl. We sewed and crocheted clothes for our dolls and treated them with TLC. Barbie came along when my girls were little. They loved their Barbies and as we could afford it we bought them accessories. We eventually bought them Ken dolls but they didn't really include them in the play very much. If I had purchased an "odd" doll, they would have left it in their toy box.
I wonder how the young girls of today look at these varietal incarnations of Barbie?