ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Beheading of Christian Schoolgirls Sparks Concerns About Religious Strife
Patrick Goodenough
International Editor

(CNSNews.com) - Indonesian security forces remained on high alert and religious leaders appealed for calm in the nation's Central Sulawesi province following the beheading of three Christian schoolgirls at the weekend.

Community leaders sought to downplay religion as a motivating factor in the crime, although observers noted that the severed head of one of the girls had been found several miles from the scene of the attack, outside a church.

The timing of the attack may also be significant, coming just days before the end of Ramadan, the Muslim fasting month. Numerous previous attacks on Christians in Indonesia have occurred during Ramadan.

President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono himself suggested that some elements in the Sulawesi city of Poso were bent on "maintain[ing] the hostility and conflict" of the past.

In Sulawesi and another province, Maluku, thousands of people died in clashes between Muslims and Christians between 1999 and 2002. (A minor dispute in Maluku at the end of Ramadan triggered the violence in 1999.) The two regions have sizeable Christian populations in what is otherwise a predominantly Muslim nation.

Government-sponsored peace agreements eventually were signed in a bid to end the violence, which was characterized by some as "sectarian" and by others as part of an orchestrated anti-Christian "jihad" by Islamist fighters shipped in from Indonesia's most populous island, Java.

Despite the peace deals, violence has occasionally flared since then in Sulawesi, where 22 people were killed in a market place bombing last May. Religious harmony has also been strained by the forced closure of scores of churches elsewhere in the country, and the jailing of several Christians. more....

Of course, we're not hearing much about this kind of thing. Can't have us believe that Muslim is not a "religion of peace."

Last edited by a moderator:

Lovejoy

(Revelation 20:4) Then7 I saw thrones and seated on them were those who had been given authority to judge.8 I also saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of the testimony about Jesus and because of the word of God. These9 had not worshiped the beast or his image and had refused to receive his mark on their forehead or hand. They10 came to life11 and reigned with Christ for a thousand years.

I just hope this presses their Christian community (and ours) to further spread the Word, and not to create more violence.

Lovejoy

allsmiles said:
it seems spreading the word does create violence LJ.
It can, but the Christian does not have to participate. We spread the Word with the heart of peace, and be killed for it. Or we can play eye-for-an-eye, and spread the Law instead.

The Berean

Lovejoy said:
It can, but the Christian does not have to participate. We spread the Word with the heart of peace, and be killed for it. Or we can play eye-for-an-eye, and spread the Law instead.
:first:

I prefer the former.

allsmiles

Lovejoy said:

i like that answer, thanks.

Redfin

The only way to rid the world of violence is to transform it (the violence).

The only way to transform violence is to absorb it :chew: rather than regurgitate it. :vomit:

stunrut

Redfin said:
The only way to rid the world of violence is to transform it (the violence).

The only way to transform violence is to absorb it :chew: rather than regurgitate it. :vomit:

Well said!