• Freak

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • me again

Votes: 16 48.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin

So far I'd say that "me again" is further along; but then Freak has the much tougher task, IMO. The problem is that for every passage that Freak has brought up, "me again" has offered an alternative interpretation that is at the very least just as tenable as Jay's view. I hope they take more time to think about their answers as the debate progresses, though :) (not because of any lack in their answers so far, but just because I think the expectancy and tension that would be built by waiting a day or more in between posts would make the thread more enjoyable -- but then what do I know)

Evangelion

Jaltus -

Jay is trying to show that the bible states Jesus is God in order to make it the BASIS for salvation. He is building his case from the ground up, so to speak.

If that's the case (and it seems to be a rather pointless way of doing it, since Me Again already believes in the Deity of Christ), then he's wasting a lot of time with unnecessary posts. Jay should simply state that Jesus is God (which his opponent also believes), and then explain why Jesus had to be God in order to save us.

But even after this is done, he must still provide concrete evidence that Christians must believe that Jesus is God in order to be saved.

Unfortunately, I do not see him doing any of this. :rolleyes: He has take the most circuitous route in order to "prove" a point which (in the context of this debate) can simply be taken a priori. I wouldn't have bothered to prove that Jesus is God - I would have simply cut to the chase and formulated an argument on the basis of Cappadocian Christology.

Well, now that I've explained what Jay has to do, I expect it won't be long before he reads this post and gets down to work! ;)

Lion

King of the jungle
Super Moderator
Freak comes out swinging. He throws a jab (ego eimi), another jab (ego eimi), a right hook (Jesus being very God) that almost knocks me again out of the ring. me again bounces off the ropes only to catch a left (the Word was God and the Word became flesh) that bloodies his mouth. Freak throws an uppercut (The Hypostatic Union) that misses… But wait! me again is off the ropes, he swings, a haymaker, (There are no scriptures that stipulate that a man must confess ”Jesus is God” in order to be saved), but it just glances off the shoulder of Freak and…

DING! End of round one.

I would have to give that one to Freak. He came out swinging and made a few connections. me again tried one punch but it was weak with little follow through.

Round two coming up and DING!

Freak comes out with that patented jab of his (ego eimi), me again can’t seem to counter it. He goes with it again (Looks like to me that the Holy Scriptures teach quite clearly that you must believe Jesus is "I am" (God)). me again seems to be dazed.

Freak powers a horrendous uppercut that lands on the chin of me again (According to meagain one can: "believe in the Lord Jesus Christ with all his heart" and deny He is God and still be a Christian. So, Me again, does it matter if the Mormons who believe Jesus with all their heart and that they believe He is the brother of the devil begotten through sexual intercourse). me again is reeling, blood is pouring.

Freak steps in, the jab snapping out, but me again sidesteps and the punch goes over his shoulder. me again throws a hook (However, the Greek ego eimi in John 8:58 and in John 8:24 does not prove your thesis that ”a man must believe that Jesus is God to be saved.) it connects and Freak staggers back, but me again moves in, smelling blood.

He smashes Freak with an uppercut (I interpret the words of Jesus as follows: I am the Messiah!!! I am the promised One!!! I am He who God has sent!!! You must believe in Me or you will die in your sins!!!) The crowd goes wild!

He moves in but misses with two wild punches (Let’s look at some other translations, in addition to the KJV Bible to corroborate this), then connects with a wicked right cross (This same Jesus is looked upon by members of every nation, kindred, tongue and tribe of the earth. The salvic requirement is that we accept Jesus for who He is: The only begotten Son of God, the first fruits of many to come.) that spins Freak in a complete circle.

me again follows, a hook (That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.), then another hook (Yes, I think it does matter. Again, there are varying degrees of deception. Conversely, do you acknowledge that you may be doctrinally deceived in some of your interpretational analyses of the scriptures? Or do you claim absolute knowledge in all scriptural areas, just as the Mormons do? If you are wrong in one doctrinal area (as the Mormons are), then are you damned (as you say they are damned)? Is your judgmental methodology a two-way street?) and Freak goes down to the canvas. The crowd is on its feet, Knight starts the count while me again goes to his corner. Is it over?

…four, five, six…

And Freak is up!

“DING!”

What a battle folks! What athletes!

“DING” Round three!

Freak snaps that jab (ego eimi) out again. me again tries to dodge but it zips him in the lip, popping his head back. Freak steps in and POW!!! he catches me again with a right (Amazingly, you said (in response to my second point): I am of the opinion that many cult members will be saved because of their faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. The Apostle Paul says in response to your claim: But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned! As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let him be eternally condemned!"). Then a left (I believe the Apostle John made himself clear in 1 John 4:2-3 is saying that if you deny that Jesus is God in flesh then you are of the spirit of Antichrist. A anti-Christ is one who is not a member of the Body of Christ.)

me again is down! He’s down, down, down!

Can he make it back to his feet? Can he overcome the wicked ego eimi jab of Freak? Stay tuned folks… the best is yet to come!:eek:

Last edited:

Evangelion

Uh... I see plenty of hard jabs from Me Again, and a lot of wild haymakers from Freak. He's busy reinventing the wheel, while Me Again floors the gas pedal. :D

Last edited:
C

cirisme

Never mind my other post...

Never mind my other post...

I changed my mind, I agree with Freak now. Good thing I voted for him first. :)

My concern would be John 6:47 and other similar passages that say to believe in Jesus. How can you believe in Jesus, yet reject His deity? That's contradictory.

Goose

The question is about denial, not acceptance. There's so many different persectives of the question, I wonder if this won't spill over into another Battle Royale.

Goose

I just read Freak's last post. Ouch. Knight, in the words of Tommy Boy, "That's gonna leave a mark!" "Not so much here or here...but right about here"

me again

Yes, Lion did an excellent job.

But no where in the Bible does it say:
  • Ye must believe Jesus is God to be saved.
It's extra-Biblical, sort of like the Book of Mormon. ;)

C

cirisme

Ev...

Ev...

Because He is deity! When it says "Believe in Me", I take that to mean believe everything about which would include His deity!

P

Pilgrimagain

I think the point is to believe in what Christ does, or what God does through Christ. The divinity issue is penultimate to that.

Evangelion

Cirisme -

Ev...
Because He is deity! When it says "Believe in Me", I take that to mean believe everything about which would include His deity!

That's an awful lot to squeeze out of three words, Cirisme. I think you'd make a great Catholic. :) Tell me, please... on what basis do you interpret this in such a way?

And why does Jesus also say "He that believeth on me, believeth NOT ON ME, but ON HIM WHO SENT ME"?

:)

P

Pilgrimagain

I think we are not going to be able to pick a winner. No one is really judging on the merits but rather by what he or she already believes. It seems so far that if one believes that you must accept Jesus as God then the analysis is pro-Freak and if not then it is pro Meagain.

Me Again does have a point that Freak has not addressed his rebuttal. So far Freak has made his exegetical assertion and then basically said "I'm right because I'm right and that makes you wrong."

Evangelion

Pilgrim -

Me Again does have a point that Freak has not addressed his rebuttal. So far Freak has made his exegetical assertion and then basically said "I'm right because I'm right and that makes you wrong."

Exactly. And that is precisely why Freak would be better off reading my instructions. :)

P

Pilgrimagain

objectivism is simply trying to give hedonism a conscience.

Pilgrim

me again

If a man says that Jesus is not God, but believes that Jesus:
  • Is God's Son
  • Believes in and prays to the Lord Jesus as his only mediator between himself and God and believes that He was:
  • Crucified and rose from the dead
  • Is the Creator of heaven & earth
  • Is sitting at the right hand of the Father
  • And is coming again in power and in glory
Then some of you say that he is hellbound? :confused:

You say that he is going to hell? :confused:

What does Jesus say? :confused:

I'll save it for the ring. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.