BATTLE TALK ~ BRX (rounds 8 thru 10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

patman

RobE

RobE

RobE said:
I just wanted to comment that Patman conceded the point that changing your mind doesn't change you, personally. Also, I was wondering where you are coming from, Lee.

Do you believe in simple foresight? Or in complete foreordination(determinism)?

Thanks,

Rob

p.s. you might be interested in my discussion on Antinomies with Clete.
Its good to hear from you again, RobE.

I never thought changing your mind changes who you are. That's a wonderful thing to point out tho. God is still the same trustworthy God in his character, his very being. His loving characteristic makes all the more good to change your mind about doing something bad to someone when that person repented and is now good. Otherwise God would not be graceful. It is better to be graceful than have one state of mind forever and ever. God likes changing his mind about destruction towards a people.

Thanks
-Pat
P.S. I'll laugh if Lee says they are the same thing ;) I'll laugh for two reasons, one, me and lee actually agree in something, and two, now you got two of us to deal with. Just kidding of course. Take care, RobE.

bling

Thank you for getting back. This has taken some time for me also.

Patman said:
Please allow me to write what I believe your thinking is, correct me if I am wrong: The object of the garden was to establish agape love. With that being said, what is the best way to show agape love? By having a world that puts people in need, such that they have the best understanding of love. This idea can be derived from the verse that says "he who is forgiven much loves much." among others.

If this sums it up, please allow me to add some more statements to that. If the object of the garden was for good, the bad that came from it is worth while. This frees God from any part played in the situation. Do you agree with these points? Is that how you try to explain the Garden to your agnostic friends if so?
The Garden, will not produce Agape Love (Godly type Love) and God could easily realize that. Godly type love has always been and always will be the human objective for each of us. The Garden showed us all including Adam and Eve a system that will not work, but one, we all wish would have worked and it become what we can look forward to, in heaven with a different body and objective. It did not hurt Adam and Eve to be there for as long as they were, it established the type of closeness God desires for humans, how God would like us to live (in a paradise), how much humans need help against Satan and sin, how tempting sin is, how we need forgiveness, how we can expect to sin without the Spiritual (indwelling) help, and how we need to be doing Godly loving things (sacrificing what we worked hard at producing) for others, so our Godly love can grow.

Patman said:
I have said all along that Agape love is achievable without a fall. Had Adam never ate of the tree, agape love could still be enjoyed by God and Man alike. I also questioned a while back why Agape love is the one and only love desired by God and the only love possible as the objective to the garden. Why are other loves just ignored? After all, a relationship is built on many types of loves. Also, agape love requires no relationship to be given or received.
I do not think agape love (Godly type love) could have been achieved by humans on earth without the individual sinning, unless he/she had deity dwelling in them (like Christ). That is one of the things Christ showed us and needed to show us to prepare us for the Spirit (another subject). Godly love was not achieved with the best human representatives the human race could ever have and has not been achievable by the billions that followed without sin and forgiveness of sin (other then Christ). I keep asking: “How do you get around all the unbelievable wonderful direct and indirect results that happen with your first sin?” God would realize that.
The question of Godly love verse other loves:
1. Does the command: : “Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength, and with all your mind, and love your neighbor as yourself.” Jesus said to him, “You have answered correctly; do this, and you will live.” Still apply to us today? And was it always understood to apply to everyone? And if not understood was it always God’s desire?
2. If that love is defined by Christ in all His words, all His actions and on the cross. And using Paul’s 1 Cor. 13 to verbalize it definition. Then this love takes all (even if all means the vast majority) it leaves all other love a small portion of what you are doing and what you are doing has to be mainly Godly loving God. So how can you do anything good without Godly loving as the main portion of what you are doing?
3. Adam and Eve would and I think did love God like good children love a very wonderful parent, which is great, but it is not: unconditional, a (chosen) well thought out decision with real likely alternatives, sacrificial, selfless, committed, requiring forgiving/acceptance of forgiveness and all consuming love. That is the love God has for them, but they will not see that, they would see a parent that is responsible for them, since He made them and they being all good, not deserving anything less then the best especially since it cost God nothing out of His infinite supply. A child type love for even a wonderful parent will not keep them from disobeying that parent eventually, which they did. That also brings up another love, they had, that surpassed their love at the time for God, and that was husband and wife love. We really see that with Adam’s sin and not Eve’s sin. Adam had by naming all the animals come to the obvious decision that Eve was the best he could ever have. Adam seems to have enough time with Eve to develop a very close relationship, which is good as long as it does not exceed the relationship with God. Satan would easily have picked up on this. When Eve offered the fruit to Adam, he could easily realize he was going to loss Eve which at the time was more then he could handle (it was not off set by his love for God), he had to join her and stay with her at any price. Many today develop similar type love, while God wants us to love our spouse out of our love for Him.
4. God could easily make beings that love every other way without having to create a whole universe for that purpose. God has created animals that naturally love their parents and will do all kinds of things for them. Ants love the queen ant, robots can be made that do all kinds of wonderful things for you. Eagles love their spouse.
5. The only way Adam and Eve could have succeeded is with Godly type love, but that could not have been given them (programmed into them) directly without taking away Adam’s and Eve’s choices (one of the requirements of Godly love), so how in the Garden could they develop it?
6. None Godly love produces the wrong results, which is what we see in the Garden.

Patman said:
Lets say I have an important meeting to get to. If I miss it, I will get fired. But on my way I see a stranger drowning in a pool, what would I do?? I would gladly throw him a life-saver. I love him enough to do that, selfless of my needs. He would grab on, I would pull him in, he would say, "Thanks," and I would answer, "No Problem," and that would be the extent of it. I may never see him again. No relationship was required for that act of love. However, if that man were my son, there would me more kinds of love involved, and a relationship would be a part of the act.
The reason you should help is your relationship with the Lord, your Godly loving for God is your motive and your purpose, for doing everything. You can offer up your sacrificial love for a fellow human as worship to God.

Patman said:
A relationship with God is far greater than just agape love. God can agape love me all day long, but so what if he never gets to talk to me? If the objective were only agape love, God was selling himself short, and us also.
God spoke everything into existence, so how could God not be speaking to us, since we are surrounded by his word? I am hard pressed to think of anything that is not the product of God’s love for me, can you help me?
God is doing a lot of stuff, but is it not guided by His love for us?
Can agape love be exchanged with out both a giver and a willing receiver?

Patman said:
Don't get me wrong, Agape love is necessary. But it is a part of the bigger picture. The overall goal of God's creation of man was not primarily Agape love. God desires relationship. And in that relationship all kinds of love are felt and exchanged, including agape.

If we are to agape/ Godly type love God with all our heart, soul, mind and energy, what is left after these alls, we get to agape love others like Christ loves us (look what He did for us!!!). Where do I find the time to do anything else?

Patman said:
So what do I think? I think the objective of the garden was to provide man a place to develop his relationship with God. Be it an extremely close relationship, or one less close than others, it was man's choice.
Where does it say that?
I see it as being, exactly what it was and what it became.

Patman said:
God is so loving in his relationship to man, that he does not trap man, but provides a way out should man want out. And that is where the tree comes in.

Where does it say the tree was there to keep from trapping man?
Where does it say Adam and Eve wanted out?
Where is their action ever described as being more then a sin, like any other sin we might do? Sin separates us from God.
Do you see Satan reminding Eve that the tree is the way out or do you see Satan lying to Eve that the tree is not a way out?
The Bible gives the motive for Eve’s action very specifically: “6 When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it.” Where does the Bible say this wanting out motivation?
Do you not see coveting of the fruit and lusting after the fruit as being very similar to sins we commit?
When you sin do you think of all the consequences, do you do it as a rebellion toward God, as wanting to go to Hell, as wanting to follow Satan, spitting in the eye of Christ, etc. or are you deceived, lied to, coveting, lusting, and get trapped into sinning, like Eve?

Patman said:
I hope you can understand my one huge problem with the settled view, and that is that - God foresaw the evil his creation became and did it anyway. According to the reasioning behind your view on the garden, you reason it away with "it was for the best" because "it was for agape love." So God lovingly created us to rebel against him, such that all man on earth would be destroyed by a flood say for 4 and their families, and then countless millions to follow.

I do not try to add or take anything away from the Garden, and where do you see my conclusions clouding my interpretations. I just try to describe what I see, and know from other scripture and my own experiences about God, Satan, sin, coveting, lust , love, time, and people. What am I missing in understanding?

You can not seem to take your rational justification, for God allowing an extremely horrible, tragic, situation in Christ going to the cross, and use a similar rational justification for God allowing Satan to roam the earth or God allowing people to sin, so what is the difference?

Patman said:
When people ask the questions of the Garden, they look at their own lives, and lives of those they hold close to them. They feel the effects of the garden to this day, and question God because they think he looked ahead to their lives, knew everything that would happen, all the bad things, and didn't care, and said "let's create this anyway."
That happens with the OV and SV, foreknowledge is not needed for the Garden situation, God should have realized giving humans an infinite amount of time, allowing them to be on their own, Satan lying, giving people everything they want (spoiling them), and putting a very tempting fruit easy to get to = humans sinning. Everyone winds up coveting after a while just look at Paul in Rms. 7.

Patman said:
You had some problems with my ideas. I hope to show you that many of our problems are not real because they lack being fully thought and rely on misunderstandings:
I just like to be able to explain it to others.

1. He seems to not understand ecology very will, if this Garden is to potentially to support a large number of people for a long time, it is not ecologically balanced, will require constant monitoring and continuous changing. It appears to be a set up for a very few people for a short period of time.

Patman said:
You assume the Garden was small. There is no way to know how big it was. As I said, people would eventually outgrow it, and In my thinking, this is the functionality of the tree. Those who were ready could eat of it and receive wisdom for when they leave. Also, the Garden is alive. Why is it unable to grow and populate the earth as people are? Are the garden's trees seedless? There is too much to consider that I think you should. If man never fell, is God unable to make a place for his children if the garden is too small? What if man populated to 900 trillion and never fell? Is God unable to create a new earth, or make the existing one bigger?
God could keep a head of the situation is not the question, except how do you keep the tree convenient to everyone? The Garden appears to be just right and needing no changes for what did happen, so God is very lucky or did He figure something out?

2. He does understand probability, if you have even a small possibility of a negative out come but repeat the circumstance an infinite number of times (eternally) you will eventually get a negative reaction. Adam and Eve will eventually sin.

Patman said:
If a drug pusher carries a gun everyday, is he guaranteed to shoot it? If a severe diabetic goes out to eat everyday is he guaranteed to order coke? It is impossible to answer because you know that there are drug pushers out there who do not kill, and there are diabetics out there who drink only diet coke. So odds are, either can happen. The point is that there is no guarantee. Adam and Eve were not destined to sin, that has been my understanding and belief from long before I was an open viewer. If all I had to do was not eat a tree's fruit to stay in good with God, I do not think it would have been a problem. I say that for many people I know, including you.

You can't tell me you can't pass up one tree? When you know that it will kill you? And when you know you will leave God in your death? No more eden, no more Eve no more God.... Can you really say you would still eat?
Yes.
What makes you think Adam and Eve thought about all that when they sinned, any scripture support?
I keep asking the same questions that anyone would ask. I myself, use to think Adam and Eve were not destined to sin, but that does not seem logical to me today.

Patman said:
Adam's evil was great the day he ate that fruit. More evil than anyone I ever heard of. It was a simple command, and look what he caused. And even then, God loved him enough to give him clothes! And he showed him how to deliver babies. He was taking care of him until he was ready to go it alone.
If Adam’s sin was truly the greatest by far, why does the Bible not describe it that way?
Why is it called sin like my sin?
Would Adam have had to do some great deed to get forgiveness?
How do you think God compares Adam’s sin with the sin you last did?
Why is everyone else’s sin so much greater then mine?
When has any person ever been able to stand up against Satan, alone? Why does it matter how many commands you have if the one most likely command you will fail to obey is the one command given?
If you had just one command and that being “do not covet” could you obey it without the Spirit’s help?
I see Eve being tricked and lusting into sinning and Adam having a stronger love for Eve then God, so how is that sin any worse then any other sin?

Patman said:
Adam may have not realized what he did fully, but he knew his actions would bring death, and he did it the same. The death count of Hitler's actions has nothing on Adam's actions. And we are so harsh on Hitler... Adam's sin was worst. And God was fair, Adam could resist the tree for a zillion times had he not desired his own wisdom instead of Gods... But Adams desires made him evil.
Where does the Bible say one sin is greater then another?
Why do we think others should not have fallen to temptation when we fall in other ways?

Hitler sinned like I sin. The reason there will still be people in this world 20 years from now (assuming the Lord does not come) that have not seen an up close Christ filled person pleading to help them, is because I did not start being a truly Christ like person 14 years ago. Do you realize the power that is yours today? Christ method of evangelizing the world was extremely simple and needing very little. All you have to do is from your small group of students (4-12 let us say) average one individual like yourself per year that can develop his own small group and/or split your group and in 34 years you run out of people on earth. So, who has done more damage? Thanks for the grace of God.

Patman said:
You are confusing opportunity for desire. Just because the opportunity is there one can not assume that someone will take it, even if that opportunity is there every day.
Will, if there is a slight % chance of them taking it then eventually they will, if their being presented the option. Now, knowing what I know about people, Satan, sin, temptation, coveting, love, and time without knowing about the out come, I think I would have given them, maybe a month without sin. What you are suggest is God would have given them a possible zero chance of sinning to be there forever, when they seemed to have lasted less then a year. I see God as being much smarter then that.

3. He does not understand coveting, if you present a convenient and attractive item to people that is desirable and do not give them the indwelling Spirit to help them control that desire, the people will start to covet. Coveting takes place in the mind and humans can not control their thoughts all the time. It is an extremely difficult frustrating situation for humans.

Patman said:
It is only in the last 2000 years that God has sent the spirit to dwell in us. He was with people before then, but not like now. We in the body have a special gift, but those who were before did not have this Gift like we do.

So for a good 4000 years, people who covet were out of control because God's spirit was not poured out until Pentecost?
Do we agree that God realized at least after the Garden, all people besides Adam and Eve that reach the age of accountability will sin?
When do you think God realized that?

Patman said:
You are right to study the cross and apply it to your life. But you are mistaken if you try to apply that law to the lives of those who lived before it. They were under a different law. They did not have the spirit living in them as we do. While it is true that Jesus' death did save them, they were not under grace, they were under the law. And before the law was written, they were under the laws of their hearts, which came from the tree. You cannot say that God was not understanding of coveting, or any other sin.

This is not an open view topic. Law and Grace are explained very well in the Bible. You should know how it works. So why say this of God?
This is another whole subject, but let me address one thing “, they were not under grace, they were under the law.”
The law saved no one!!!! If anyone was or is saved it is by grace!!! God knew that and presented it, in word, stories, examples, and in their hearts.
1. Psalm 32:1
[ Of David. A maskil. ] Blessed is he whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered.
Psalm 32:1-3 (in Context) Psalm 32 (Whole Chapter)
2. Psalm 79:9
Help us, O God our Savior, for the glory of your name; deliver us and forgive our sins for your name's sake.
Psalm 79:8-10 (in Context) Psalm 79 (Whole Chapter)
3. Psalm 103:3
who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases,
Psalm 103:2-4 (in Context) Psalm 103 (Whole Chapter)
4. Isaiah 33:24
No one living in Zion will say, "I am ill"; and the sins of those who dwell there will be forgiven.
Isaiah 33:23-25 (in Context) Isaiah 33 (Whole Chapter)
5. Jeremiah 31:34
No longer will a man teach his neighbor, or a man his brother, saying, 'Know the LORD,' because they will all know me, from the least of them to the greatest," declares the LORD. "For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more."
Jeremiah 31:33-35 (in Context) Jeremiah 31 (Whole Chapter)
6. Jeremiah 33:8
I will cleanse them from all the sin they have committed against me and will forgive all their sins of rebellion against me.
Jeremiah 33:7-9 (in Context) Jeremiah 33 (Whole Chapter)
7. Jeremiah 50:20
In those days, at that time," declares the LORD, "search will be made for Israel's guilt, but there will be none, and for the sins of Judah, but none will be found, for I will forgive the remnant I spare.
Jeremiah 50:19-21 (in Context) Jeremiah 50 (Whole Chapter)
8. Hosea 14:2
Take words with you and return to the LORD. Say to him: "Forgive all our sins and receive us graciously, that we may offer the fruit of our lips.
Hosea 14:1-3 (in Context) Hosea 14 (Whole Chapter)
And there are many more. Check out John the Baptist. The people before, Christ on earth, could easily understand their depending on God’s grace for salvation for nothing else works.

4. He does not understand Godly love. People are not born with Godly love and can’t be programmed with it. It will have to be developed and the Garden does not provide the means for that development.

Patman said:
You again narrow God's love to agape love only, and limit the relationship aspect. The Garden was obviously a perfect sinless place. You make it sound like it was created to be broken so that a few people might have "godly love". I saw it was created to be sustained forever! That everyone might know God and experience a relationship that includes many types of love. The fact that Adam broke it has nothing to do with God or his understanding of the situation when God did not foresee it happening. And the fact that God planned for the "just in case" shows how much God did understand.
Does the Bible say this was a, “just in case plan”?
Does the Bible say God had no idea Adam and Eve would sin?
You are saying God did not anticipate with accuracy what will happen, but did have a plan in place if sin did happen. And I am saying, God could figure out sin would happen and made it part of the over all plan. It does not sound like much difference, but it has a great reflection on God. My God would allow sin, so: the tree location, the quality of the fruit, the fruit’s value, Satan’s location and position, the lie used, the timing, the protection provided to Adam and Eve by God, and God’s reaction, all fit. My God would have only one best plan for man, yet still allow it to be man’s choice.
I have a problem with your reason if God was not expecting them to sin for: the placement of the tree, the quality of the fruit, the location of Satan, the lack of protection from Satan provided by God, how long Adam and Eve would have to remain in this tenuous situation, the lie Satan used, the motivation, and God not giving all of us a similar chance.

5. He does not understand people. Giving people everything they would need and want does not automatically produce Godly love. People can be your close friend, love you like a father, and feel very indebted to you, but that will not keep them from have a little selfishness.

Patman said:
God never spoiled man. God only provided their food and shelter. Man should have felt indebted because it is only right, had man not felt so, he would have been unappreciative. That is not the point tho... So what, God does everything good for man. Now it's man's turn, and that is the reason... will man love God or not?
“God only provided their food and shelter” this was paradise, no weeds or varmint, He gets to name every animal (I know biologist who give there right arm to name one species) and Gardening without lacking anything or having any weeds. The question is how do you get rid of selfishness?
Do you see man’s sin as a lack of some type of love for God?

6. He does not understand Satan. Satan is much more powerful then humans, he is the trickster and can play on human selfishness with lies to get them to do what they really do not want to do.

Patman said:
Satan did not threaten man to eat. God understood Satan very well, and the limitations he had. He could not force them to eat, he could not make the decision for them. He could only confuse the issue. And if you think Adam wasn't smart enough to discern between the words of a Snake and the words of his creator, you are mistaken. Adam's responsibility was fully his own. I think it is you who over estimate Satan, and our ability to resist evil.

Satan can do more then confuse the issue. You think Job would say that? Lies can do more then, confuse the issue, they can totally miss lead you. Satan does not want you to be confused; he wants to give you answers (his wrong answer to be believed). Who ever lied to Eve before Satan did, so why not believe the lie? Stroking your ego is more then being confusing.

I have in the past only been guilty of underestimating the power of Satan, you are the first to say over estimated. The more people I council, more scripture I study, and the more I look at my life the more powerful Satan appears. It is not that I feel I’m fighting a losing battle, because I am not with the Spirit at my side. Results are what count and Satan got Eve and through Eve, Adam to both sin. Satan has a perfect record with everyone except Christ. He is patient, clever, beautiful, and seems to be almost everywhere.

7. He does not understand sin. People get caught up in sin with Satan’s help without thinking about all the consequences. For humans not to sin takes a lot more then humans have. Every mature human will sin and He does not realize that.

Patman said:
God understands sin and man's tendency, that is why he only holds man accountable for those actions he knowingly does wrong, and more of the reason why there is grace in the love God has for us. It is the same answer you would give me.
When did God understand all adult humans would sin, is the question?

8. He does not realize that humans will be better off outside the Garden after they do sin, then inside the Garden having to keep from sinning.

Patman said:
Bling, may you never fully understand what you are saying, that we are better off today than we would be if we were with God in the Garden. You, yourself, said the garden is like heaven to you. It is a place we will one day go for piece. No more sin, no more hurt, no more death. A wonderful place. When I get there I will look for you. And I will offer you this: If you really think we are better off after the fall, then leave heaven, go back in time and live on earth. I don't think you'll do it..

“go back in time”, so you do think it is possible!

It all depends on the objective I have! If the objective is for me, in human form, to develop Godly type love even in heaven, then I want to be on earth in this situation, but if the object is for me to take the Godly love I have developed in a new form and use it to love God and other beings in heaven then I’m ready.
Adam and Eve showed us, the Garden is a poor place to develop Godly love.

Patman said:
You are right too. The Garden is like Heaven will be one day. It is like Earth will be one day too. But it is not like heaven and earth are today. For there is pain in both heaven and earth because of this great and wonderful giving in to sin you seem to endorsee.
This is something for latter discussion.

Patman said:
I say 1 year in the garden and of resisting sin is billions of times better off than what we have today. You do not see the sins that happen, the rapes, the killings, the beatings, the hurtful words, the betrayal and all that other sin. You think this is better of?
Yes.
I see all the sin and tragedies around me as opportunities to show the contrast of God’s goodness, to allow Christ to help others through me, and to serve others. It fits my purpose.

Patman said:
I say we had Grace in the garden and out of the garden. You say it is only out of the garden that we have it.
If grace includes forgiveness then there is no grace in the Garden, because there is no forgiveness.

Patman said:
I say God holds us accountable to sins we knowingly commit. This is why it is the tree that represented the one chance, the one sin, to let us out of that heaven on earth we had.
Where does it say, Adam and Eve were motivated to sin by wanting a way out?
That is not the reason they gave to God, so did they lie to God, because it is not said to be a lie and it is not what Satan used to tempt Eve and the explanation for her sinning in scripture is: When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it.”

Patman said:
bling, may you never have to see the hardships that you seem to think make us better off. You will never stop your eyes from being wet if you do. But if you did see them, you would never again say we are better off.
Let me tell you were I learned about Godly love: Raleigh State Prison for young men (14-20), this were you landed when your kicked out of reform school or your crimes were to heinous. The prison was run by gangs, the guards could be paid $10.00 to look the other way. There were some who entered bad, but soon found Christ changed their ways and got early parole, “they went to school” the guards and warden didn’t know, but every prisoner knew they were still the same person. There were those that arrived promising granny to be a good Christian, they carried their Bibles, said they were Christians, but the sneaks and snitches watch them. They saw what shows they watched, what jokes they laughed at, how they spent their time, who they hung with, how much they read they studied and told everything to the heavies. Prisoners know what it is to be like Christ to the death. Those kids did not last under pressure. Then there were those that were real, they hung close, rarely alone, didn’t laugh at the dirty jock, worked when the guards were not watching, made good grades, didn’t watch any TV, study their Bibles hours in groups each night, were always talking about spiritual things, jumped into the middle of a beating to take the licks, share all they had with everyone, hated by the guards for trying to teach them and disturbing the equilibrium, and they did not cave under pressure. These were mostly converts from gangs slaves and bullies, the slaves were wanted back, by especially by his daddy and the bullies were now open for attack from other gangs wanting pay-back, both came with nothing, including no weapons. Someone had to switch sleeping places with them until the guards allowed the move, there were barracks separating the different gangs. The 40 or so Christian slept in a barrack of 60 young men, so one replaced the new convert so the new convert could sleep. The “Mature” Christian would not be sleeping though, he had no covers, pillow, or mattress and would at least have his clothes taken that night. The nights were Hell. Everyone had there turn to hold the line, especially after the Christian leader of the group left or was killed the heavies would seek out the weakest link. Heads were smashed, arms broke, and lots of cuts were par for the week. Each week for one hour 4 or 5 volunteer Sunday school teachers would come in. The lesson had been discussed for about 40 hours prior by some very Spirit lead prisoners. This was no ordinary class, 4 or 5 groups of 10 committed Christians and 5 other inmates. The prisoners wanted to know how Christians applied the lesson, on the other side of the wall, most volunteers could not handle the barrage of questioning and were short lived, but others were strong and could lead them.
The Christian prisoners leave in a box, moved to the adult prison, or are paroled back to their home town and parents. The box can be the best way out. A lot of time each day is spent praying for those that went and are going to the adult prison, there are stories of survival and also really bad stuff. Being paroled back to a small home town with a small church, with no daily intense fellowship is culture shock in reverse. They can really miss the prison life.

I was one of the sorry volunteers that did not last long and sat in shock each week. Their Christianity was a quantum leap beyond me. That was the worst place I have ever been to and tried to share Christ (I have been in the mission field and worked with street kids), yet it produced extremely rapidly the greatest Christians I have ever known some are missionaries in some of the worst places today, one got his PhD in theology ( Bill Searcy) and is in Kenya.
Where have you found the fast place to grow in Godly love?

Patman said:
This is hell on earth. No Garden means hell on earth, bling. I do not understand how you justify this.
This Hell on Earth is exactly the place my example showed me how to live. I have no example of good people living right any other place. Maybe Joseph, Daniel, Abraham and David lived life correctly at least some of the time in luxury, but most of what we hear about them is under stressful times. The NT really talks about Christians doing will under stress.

Patman said:
When we actually have Heaven on earth again, I hope you do not say we were better off before.
This can be discussed later.

Patman said:
Think about all the baby's who are aborted every day. Millions of people who never had the chance to experience Sin on earth. Never had the opportunity to receive the indwelling because they went straight to heaven. According to you, they are cursed for not having the opportunity to sin in the flesh. They don't get agape love in heaven. How do you explain their ability to love god and to remain in heaven with him forever?
“Cursed” I did not say that!
“who never had the chance to experience Sin on earth.” The scriptures do not seem to address those that are safe and need not be saved. I am not saying the only beings in heaven are those that developed Godly love on earth. I can imagine being with just a Child to parent love being very happy in heaven and those with agape love serving them.

Patman said:
Bling, your views are based in scripture, but not to the means you take them. You are building your own rooms in the house that are not a part of Gods plan, you do so thinking you are right because you got the idea from God's plans, but they are still your own.
That is what we are trying to determine. We can not both be right, but we could both be wrong.

Patman said:
You should know that doing evil that good may come of it is still doing evil. And you should know that God shuns sin, and does not plan sin. He cannot tempt. He cannot create sin. He cannot make us to be sinners. He cannot look ahead knowing what we will do and create that anyway.
Evil is Evil. God can have nothing to do with sin (with the exception somehow of Christ baring our sins). God can not tempt us or be tempted.
That brings up the subject of God looking ahead (with or without foreknowledge) and knowing a person will sin:
1. Isaiah 52: 14 Just as there were many who were appalled at him [c]—
his appearance was so disfigured beyond that of any man
and his form marred beyond human likeness—
We can read many prophecies of Christ talking about the torture and the cross, and this being known before even the garden, so if humans are to do this to Christ, God knows about it (somehow?) and is going to allow sin to happen.
2. Has God ever been wrong about sinning?
3. If as you say God was not sure Adam and Eve would sin, then how can He know everyone else will sin, or is that just an educated guess on His part?
1 John 1 8If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 10If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word has no place in our lives.

Patman said:
Alarms should be going off in your heart when you think that God would create us knowing we would sin. They should sound above the roaring of the sun's fires that God would have anything to do with sin and planning it into our discovery of love.
He is creating new humans each day that He knows will sin.
This might be easier for you to accept if you reasoned like Knight at least, in relation to the benefit of Satan. Sin is another step beyond that.
We agree I think: God knows people will sin, is willing to forgive sin, provided the sacrifice for sin, can forget our sins, loves people that have sinned and will send the Spirit to Christians after Christians have been forgiven of at least one sin, to allow them to stop sinning. From this we see God does a lot of stuff with sin.
The problem is not with sin, it is with the lack of agape love. There is a quick solution to sin (costly on God’s part), but developing Godly love is very difficult and takes everything He can do and we can do.

Patman said:
I beg you to reconsider that my ideas are not problematic because you cannot account for the solutions. And I beg you to reconsider if your ideas are as I said above.
Let me ask the same of you.

lee_merrill

Hi everyone,

Rob: Also, I was wondering where you are coming from, Lee.

Do you believe in simple foresight? Or in complete foreordination (determinism)?
I believe in simple foresight, and also that God makes many choices, but not all of them! I believe God's children can really choose, they are "set free," they are "free indeed," which also implies that those who are not believers are not free, that they cannot really choose, that is my position...

Pat: Here is a thing about Babylon, it was comprised of many nations, so in a round about way, you can say many nations did attack Tyre.

But I hold that the Bible only speaks of "the nation" (singular) of Babylon, so when we read of many nations, we must expect that more than the one nation of Babylon is meant. Now you must show how this is incorrect, and not simply state that I am only proposing a (remotely) improbable reading!

And also, let's look at other uses of "many nations":

Genesis 17:4 As for me, this is my covenant with you: You will be the father of many nations.

What, only Israel? No, "many nations," in the plain sense that everyone understands this.

Deuteronomy 7:1 When the LORD your God brings you into the land you are entering to possess and drives out before you many nations-- the Hittites, Girgashites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites, seven nations larger and stronger than you...

That's seven nations! Not just one.

Deuteronomy 15:6 For the Lord your God will bless you as he has promised, and you will lend to many nations but will borrow from none. You will rule over many nations but none will rule over you.

Certainly this is not only a promise to rule over just one nation somewhere, again, many nations is clearly meant, in the plain sense of that term.

Let's check Ezekiel!

Ezekiel 27:33 When your merchandise went out on the seas, you satisfied many nations...

Just Babylon? No, Tyre indeed traded with many nations, as in more than one.

Ezekiel 38:15 You will come from your place in the far north, you and many nations with you...

Here there is one army, led by Gog! This is a direct parallel, and yet God is not referred to as "many nations," instead, there is a clear distinction made here, "you and many nations," meaning that also back in reference to Babylon, "many nations" almost certainly cannot mean just those Babylonians.

And what's more, even though I gave you a new verse showing the absoluteness and eternalness of the utter destruction, you seemed to have missed it.
Well, I guess I did miss it! I do see that you said "I have plenty of other verse that show the permanent destruction of Tyre, and do not need to rely on this one verse. I hope you address those now," but I'm not sure what verses you mean, and I can't seem to find them in the last few posts addressed to me.

You asked these questions before:
"How can we trust God, if he can take action, and spoil his own plan himself?"

Do you ask believing there is no answer?
Well, no, but when people say "when God changes in these ways, it dramatically shows that God does not know all 100% of the future as you think," then I will repeat some of my Jonah questions, because they address just this issue!

"Why did Jonah seem to have a better grasp of the situation than God did? He thought the Ninevites would probably repent, and thus he ran." Is Jonah being smarter than God here? God had expectations that did not turn out, and Jonah's perception was correct, where God's perception was not, in the Open View.

"Now we have to question God's unconditional promises, for the situation may change, and God may have to change his plan." Is this not true, if God can change dramatically, because of limited knowledge of what will turn out?

"And we also need not always follow God's counsel, for another choice may turn out better, even from his perspective." Isn't this the case, that if God has incorrect expectations, then another course would have been better? Then we need not always follow God's counsel and direction, another way may well turn out better, even from his perspective.

Prophecy is not to show God is right all the time, it is to make us right!
Well, then why was a word that did not come to pass, a word "the Lord has not spoken"?

Deuteronomy 18:22 If what a prophet proclaims in the name of the Lord does not take place or come true, that is a message the Lord has not spoken. That prophet has spoken presumptuously. Do not be afraid of him.

This simply won't do, Pat, your statement here is directly contradicting Scripture.

Blessings,
Lee

lee_merrill

Oops...

"... yet God is not referred to ..." was supposed to be "... yet Gog is not referred to ...".

Is anyone else missing the "edit" button in this forum? I can't edit my posts...

Blessings,
Lee

RobE

lee_merrill said:
I believe in simple foresight, and also that God makes many choices, but not all of them! I believe God's children can really choose, they are "set free," they are "free indeed," which also implies that those who are not believers are not free, that they cannot really choose, that is my position...

There's only true freedom within Him. I agree.

I would be interested in your input on two different threads on TOL.

1) A discussion between Clete and Hilston.

2) Clete teaches Rob Trinity logic.

I find it interesting that 'Open' Theists seem to think that a change of action or plan is a change of character.

It also is interesting to me that the word prophecy = an accurate prediction of the future.
They say that God can 'accurately predict' human actions yet don't seem to equate this with foresight. I think they are hung up on the Calvinist doctrines concerning reprobates even though Augustine said predestination of the reprobate was untrue.

They can't seem to differentiate between simply 'seeing the future' and 'creating evils in the future'. It's true without Him there would be NO future(because He is the creator), but it doesn't make Him the author of evils that men do.

I often use the wrong words with them. I think the problem comes in the definitions. I'm not sure.

I admire your tenacity on this issue, but I wonder why you don't attack the thinking behind the issue more.

Yours,

RobE

"A dog on a leash is still free to eat, drink, sleep, and do any other action within his capabilities. Being incapable doesn't mean he's coerced."------Rob's Daughter(15).

bling

Originally Posted by lee_merrill
believe in simple foresight, and also that God makes many choices, but not all of them! I believe God's children can really choose, they are "set free," they are "free indeed," which also implies that those who are not believers are not free, that they cannot really choose, that is my position...
Lee I hope you don’t mind me putting in, Patman may take a while. If you have read my postings you know I push agape or Godly love as the human objective. Part of developing Godly love is the requirement of free will choice with some real likely alternatives. Actually the more likely the alternatives the greater the choice and you might conclude the greater the love. The choice I see as being between selfishness and selflessness. I see God not really having any choice but to do the best that can be done for each human in every situation, this is with or without foreknowledge. God reaction is predictable, since He will always do the best He can for humans, the same way we are to do the absolute best we can do for God and other humans. That brings me to non believers, I do not see God doing anything that was not in their best interest, in other words God will do for them with or without foreknowledge the same thing. At judgment there will be no complaining about what God did or did not do, He always did the best He could, and all the blame will fall on the humans. This world is set up for humans to develop Godly love.

RobE

bling said:
Lee I hope you don’t mind me putting in, Patman may take a while. If you have read my postings you know I push agape or Godly love as the human objective. Part of developing Godly love is the requirement of free will choice with some real likely alternatives. Actually the more likely the alternatives the greater the choice and you might conclude the greater the love. The choice I see as being between selfishness and selflessness. I see God not really having any choice but to do the best that can be done for each human in every situation, this is with or without foreknowledge. God reaction is predictable, since He will always do the best He can for humans, the same way we are to do the absolute best we can do for God and other humans. That brings me to non believers, I do not see God doing anything that was not in their best interest, in other words God will do for them with or without foreknowledge the same thing. At judgment there will be no complaining about what God did or did not do, He always did the best He could, and all the blame will fall on the humans. This world is set up for humans to develop Godly love.

Bling I hope you don't mind my putting in my own thoughts. You're exactly right. Foresight vs. no foresight has nothing to do with God's plans. They will be realized either way. What we're talking about is how He formulates those plans. Does He do it with an idea of where it's going? Does He fly by the seat of His pants in the dark? Or does He know exactly what He's doing(my belief)? Why start it? We agree on the answer. He wishes us to choose Him. How did He make those plans? Perfectly with complete understanding from my point of view. The best He can from an Open Theist's perspective(which is still very good but not perfect).

A fight over the same or lesser gods? I believe the same in Patman's case, but not all O.V.er's.

Rob

patman

I guess I have to say something...

I guess I have to say something...

I had hoped to just move past this and have a simple "you believe as you wish" on this non-issue and ignore the "simple-absolute-foreknowledge is same thing as foreordination" topic. But it is apparent that I cannot ignore it. Everyone seems to be running with it.

I was blind to the implications in my decision to ignore it, just as everyone else here is blind in their decision to distinguish the two apart.

We all know where I stand. And I have become very well aquatinted as to where you stand.

So by joining in I am again adding weight to the issue while there are still tons of unsettled matters. I reluctantly write this.

Foreordination - God, at the beginning of time planed all events. Because he planned these events, he knows them perfectly. Thus, God knows the future.

Simple Foreknowledge - 1). God knows 100% of future events by ability. 2).God knows some future events by use of calculated knowledge about current events, or by power to cause them.

Definition 2 is what I hold to. And I THINK RobE does too. Lee holds to 1. However, RobE seems to say that 1 could happen without foreordination happening.

RobE, you never agreed to let the matter rest. But by posting the way you have, you have thrown confusion on the matter and, perhaps unwittingly, got Lee way off topic.

RobE, you seemed to agree with me that Ezekiel 26 was not fulfilled. I have debated with Lee for pages and pages about this, and the only thing you have to say to him is "hey, isn't Patman conceding here? And isn't Patman wrong about simple foreknowledge vs foreordination?" And you build up his confidence in incorrect ideas by affirming aspects of his belief while never pointing out his flaws.

I know you want me to bend on that issue, because posts and posts ago you wanted to hear OV'er to say you might be right about this. Is it that important? You would keep on me for this one thing, and ignore lee's obvious misreading of scripture, in order to get that confession from an OV'er? You seemed to have confessed your motive a while back, and not it is exposed. Are you really after the truth for us all, Rob?

Lee has obvious problems with misreading at a deliberate extent for his bias. I have shown how he obviously is misrepresenting the pronouns to make this sentence fit his agenda. I have posted verses that show the permanency of destruction of Tyre. I went through and constructed a timeline based solely on scripture to prove all my points. Lee may throw confusion on the issue, and he certainly seems to have pulled the shade over everyone's eyes, cause no one is calling him on it. (Most of all, I used my pronouns right in this paragraph)

And I thought you, RobE, of all people, would call him on it, as you have done so with me. But instead you seem to be getting in bed with him by pointing out to him where I am "wrong." I feel that you did this to get me to respond, and congratulations, if you did, cause here I am. Responding...

But before I responded, I wanted to point out what you were doing. In doing so I wonder why I am the only one you are going after lately. I thought we had some good agreements, and you claimed aspects to the OV, and agreed with me that some prophecies were unfulfilled.

Lee has no OV aspects. He holds to 100% future knowledge and misrepresents the bible in proving it... you may not hold issue with 100% future knowledge because "it could happen", but I'd think, RobE, you would hold issue with this obvious manipulating of the word.

You seem determined on the phone that we, you and I, should agree 100% on the possibility that 100% foreknowledge does not mean foreordination. Why are you not so bold about getting Lee to take on some of your OV standards?

I have been alone on my OV beliefs for some time. Everyone else has moved on, and I am the only one left to carry on the OV side of the discussion. It has been this way for a while, so your continued disagreements with me do not bother me personally, as it is pretty much expected. But, RobE, I wanted to call you to consider the standards you are using to converse here.

If you agree with me about Ezekiel 26, why change topics with me and lee that way and get him to focus on something else while he is still wrong? If you don't agree I can see why... but you really confused me, because on the phone you seemed to understand that some prophecies were unfulfilled.

My claim is simple, but deep at the same time. In creation, God would use love, wisdom, caring, and perfection in his creation, because God can not produce evil. With 100% "simple foreknowledge," God would use those guidelines in his creation while looking at the future to make sure the outcome was "the best" or "perfect".

The results of that creation would be a program, designed to act out all of those aspects to the best of creations ability. I.E. Everything would be set up like dominos, to fall in their best place to the goals of creation by God's character. Whatever that creation might look like, good, bad, or both, it is in no way free.

RobE, you said that it would be impossible for God to create a 100% good creation even by a God who had 100% simple-foreknowledge because of freewill. I wish you could see that you can't have both.

God wouldn't create anything to be evil. Ideally he would let it choose. But the idea says that God has 100% foreknowledge, so he knows what the results of his creation will be. In Adam's case, evil. So God created it anyway? Good looked at his "Adam design model", then look at its future outcome to make sure it was truly perfect, and then go with that design.

If he didn't like what he saw as an outcome by that design, he would be able to change the design. Ultimately the final design would have the desired future reaction. It would not have truly chosen that outcome, because he was made to act out the desired reaction.

Well, now we throw in the "what-ifs." What if God made Adam in such a way that Adam didn't sin, but others did? The outcomes are unknowable to everyone but God. We must assume that God, creating good only, foresaw that outcome as being worst than what we have now, so he didn't go with that design of Adam.

What if God made 2 men? What if he made Seth and Adam at the same time? What if God made Seth first? What if God did ______ instead. The same conclusion must be made... God didn't go with a certian concept because he wanted to go with the best to drive man in the right direction. Thus we get the answer to our lives today, why Adam sinned, why we are all in need of lifeboats, why history is going the way it is, and went the way it did. Why is all this evil and good mixture in the world? Because God in his simple 100% foreknowledge deemed this design the best and created it anyway.

But there is the problem... it is all a design. It is all designed to work and act the desired way. It isn't free. It is all a big program.

RobE, you say God gets out of it because even though we all need lifeboats, God provides them to whoever will take them. But you don't see that God designed it all to go the way it did, meaning he designed some to stay off of the boats to make room for the others by design.

There is no freedom for anyone under that concept.

And most of all, there is no Bible verse to back up that idea. We don't see God creating with 100% foreknowledge. We don't see God planning everyone's lives. We don't see God being happy with his creation because he knew it was all for the best, like the idea asks us to be.

In a round about way, 100% simple foreknowledge ends up being the same thing as predestination. Instead a pinch of the appearance of freewill is thrown in to confuse it all and to take some blame off God, ignoring the idea that even the "freewill" is a part of the plan to get everything to turn out for the best.

The only way we can have freewill is for God to not let anything he did control what influences us to pick or deny him. This means no peaking into the future to make us better or otherwise.

If we are truly free being in Christ, why not just start everything out that way?

I am not disagreeing with that sentence, but it goes to the heart of why 100% simple foreknowledge is distinctly different from foreordination. Because God would use all his resources to make us good with future 100% knowledge.

That's all I will say for now. It is already a long post, and no doubt is falling on deaf ears. I say that because it's the same thing I said before... you may never agree with me... But until now I didn't worry about it because you weren't using it to confuse anyone.

So that's it.
-Patman

patman

Lee...

Lee...

Lee,

For the majority of your last post you completely changed the topic and claimed ignorance to my points.

You mainly used my sentence "Here is a thing about Babylon, it was comprised of many nations, so in a round about way, you can say many nations did attack Tyre," and constructed a completely different argument that throws confusion on the issue. Worst of all, it isn't even something I disagree with. This is called "the straw man," It is when one debater takes the focus off of the topic and tries to make the other look bad by misrepresenting him.

And unless you just didn't read what I wrote, you would have known I didn't think this because of what I said right after that: 'But you can't take that sentence and get that."

My paragraph said so much to show how the pronouns cannot work the way you want... you missed all that too? Why can't you say they doesn't refer to many nations? Because, "The paragraph contains a complete thought. It refers to the same group of people thought out, and "they" refers to Babylon and it's army under Nebuchadnezzar."

I was trying to throw in a side item that couldn't be backed by scripture. Instead you took it, misread it, or half read it, and went somewhere way out there.

The way you answered my apparent "misunderstanding of the words 'many nations'" makes readers assume you are right about the many nations topic because "you got scripture". When you go on throwing verses at me, like I didn't know how to read those two simple words("many nations"), served only to confused other readers(if there are any). And please, give me some credit, Lee. Many nations.....? We all know what it means, even stupid ol' patman.

To my own bell ringing(for it has little weight to you), in my opinion, I read and understand better than you do, because I don't read what I want to read. I let the words tell me what they are saying. I do not go so bold to tell them what they mean( they refers to the "words").

What is even worst, you didn't address my entire point. "They" refers to the army so of Nebuchadnezzar, as established. That is because it is the antecedent to which the pronoun refers. "Many Nations," refers to many nations. It is not refereed to again by another pronoun after "Nebuchadnezzar's Army" is established as the antecedent to "they".

Instead of answering all this directly, you ignore most of that and just say, "prove it", and go on and on and on and on with how I can't understand two words, and about how you missed my other point about "the eternal destruction" and how you don't like the book of Jonah.

You gotta' answer the other points before I will answer much more. You gotta' show how my grammar is wrong by saying something other than, "it isn't wrong," even though I already correctly showed the entire paragraph, and correctly showed how to use pronouns, and by the rules of grammar, you cannot read it any other way.

This is where you said you "missed" my "Tyre's Judgement was an eternal one" point....
lee_merrill said:
Well, I guess I did miss it! I do see that you said "I have plenty of other verse that show the permanent destruction of Tyre, and do not need to rely on this one verse. I hope you address those now," but I'm not sure what verses you mean, and I can't seem to find them in the last few posts addressed to me.
And I said it back in Post #477. It was bolded, even. Ezekiel 26:19. About 9 Paragraphs from the bottom... I would paste it on here, but I hope you'll just go back and read....

What the hay... here's a link for you. http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ezekiel 26:19-21;&version=50;

That was just 11 posts ago too. This should post 488, unless someone beats me too it. And only a few of those were mine... As of your last post, it was closer to 5. I guess you didn't look too hard?
lee_merrill said:
Deuteronomy 18:22 If what a prophet proclaims in the name of the Lord does not take place or come true, that is a message the Lord has not spoken. That prophet has spoken presumptuously. Do not be afraid of him.

This simply won't do, Pat, your statement here is directly contradicting Scripture.
Lee, nothing I said contradicts that verse. For someone who can maneuver pronouns around like you do, I'd think you'd find a way to understand that... but I don't have to manipulate scripture to understand it. I don't have to say "'him' doesn't refer to the prophet, it refers to the Jews." That would be silly.

Instead I understand there is more to prophecy that this one verse reveals. You, yourself, said God doesn't reveal everything to us at once. The same is true here, because we we learn from other places in the Bible that sometimes, God will change his mind about fulfilling a prophecy depending on the people's repentance.

So, chew on that. Lets get back on topic. You got some english homework, that's the direct answer to my last few posts, and I will be looking forward.

Thanks
-Patman

patman

Bling

Bling

Bling, your post will take some time because you asked for scripture. I wish to point out that your claims demand scripture proof too. But I will be busy getting you verses to back up the things I know are true.

So, Patience, please, Bling. I give your posts much thought, I am sorry you are having trouble with it. Let me make an observation tho, when someone asks for proof, it means what the other person said makes some since, and the hearer doesn't wish to take it as truth. So they ask for proof.

I know I am not answering everything, but that thought gives me hope that you understand me, and I am making some logical since to you. I hope so. That is my biggest concern, not being understood because it is written word(i.e. being "read wrong" or "half read"). Anyway, I'll be working on it.

Thanks
-Patman

lee_merrill

Hi everyone,

Bling: Part of developing Godly love is the requirement of free will choice with some real likely alternatives.
I agree, I only put the freedom after conversion, but I do believe it is real, where real choices can be made by believers.

Rob: Does He fly by the seat of His pants in the dark? Or does He know exactly what He's doing (my belief)?
I also hold that God knows exactly what he is doing...

Pat: Lee has no OV aspects. He holds to 100% future knowledge...
Quite true...

and misrepresents the bible in proving it...
I would, of course, disagree with this part!

Why can't you say they doesn't refer to many nations? Because, "The paragraph contains a complete thought. It refers to the same group of people thought out, and "they" refers to Babylon and it's army under Nebuchadnezzar."
The sentence I made up about the men and the Marines contains a complete thought, too! We can't just say the reference to "they" is determined for us, because the sentence contains a complete thought, there are at least two possibilities for the reference to "they," and this is not decided for us by there being a complete sentence here.

"They" refers to the army so of Nebuchadnezzar, as established. That is because it is the antecedent to which the pronoun refers.
No, that is what we are arguing about, you can't assume your conclusion here.

"Many Nations," refers to many nations. It is not refereed to again by another pronoun after "Nebuchadnezzar's Army" is established as the antecedent to "they".
My point about all the other scriptures is to show what the Bible means in saying "many nations," though. It means more than Gog, and in every case I checked, more than a nation such as the Babylonians. So how were these verses not pertinent? They point to usage, so in Ezekiel, "many nations" refers to many nations in the Biblical sense, which then must be more than just Babylon, or Neb's army. Again, as shown by the passage in Ezekiel about Gog and his army.

This is where you said you "missed" my "Tyre's Judgement was an eternal one" point...
Sorry I missed that, glad to address it, I will quote the ESV translation here:

Ezekiel 26:19-21 "For thus says the Lord God: When I make you a city laid waste, like the cities that are not inhabited, when I bring up the deep over you, and the great waters cover you, then I will make you go down with those who go down to the pit, to the people of old, and I will make you to dwell in the world below, among ruins from of old, with those who go down to the pit, so that you will not be inhabited; but I will set beauty in the land of the living. I will bring you to a dreadful end, and you shall be no more. Though you be sought for, you will never be found again, declares the Lord God."

First "like cities that are not inhabited" and indicates a metaphor here, and this, and "you will not be inhabited" is not the same as "never inhabited again." And "make you go down to the pit" certainly indicates people, not buildings, as does "dwell in the world below."

So "you shall be no more" and "never be found again" I take to be the people, and indeed, the Phoenician people have disappeared, by all indications.

Pat: Prophecy is not to show God is right all the time, it is to make us right!

Lee: This simply won't do, Pat, your statement here is directly contradicting Scripture.

Pat: I understand there is more to prophecy that this one verse reveals. You, yourself, said God doesn't reveal everything to us at once. The same is true here, because we learn from other places in the Bible that sometimes, God will change his mind about fulfilling a prophecy depending on the people's repentance.
Well, that is why I posted my Jonah questions, if God changes his mind about fulfilling a prophecy, then...

"Why did Jonah seem to have a better grasp of the situation than God did? He thought the Ninevites would probably repent, and thus he ran." Is Jonah being smarter than God here? God had expectations that did not turn out, and Jonah's perception was correct, where God's perception was not, in the Open View.

"Now we have to question God's unconditional promises, for the situation may change, and God may have to change his plan." Is this not true, if God can change dramatically, because of limited knowledge of what will turn out?

And I agree that God's revelation is progressive, and also that God sometimes changes his response, if a prophecy is conditional. But if God is not right about a prophecy, then that is more than just a change of mind!

That is being wrong, and Scripture says that cannot be. Yet the Open View must hold that this is true, that God, indeed, can actually be wrong:

"And we also need not always follow God's counsel, for another choice may turn out better, even from his perspective." Isn't this the case, that if God has incorrect expectations, then another course would have been better? Then we need not always follow God's counsel and direction, another way may well turn out better, even from his perspective.

Blessings,
Lee

patman

Lee, I will, yet again, show you how the pronouns refer to Nebuchadnezzar. But for now, I just wanted to address this:
lee_merrill said:
Well, that is why I posted my Jonah questions, if God changes his mind about fulfilling a prophecy, then...

And I agree that God's revelation is progressive, and also that God sometimes changes his response, if a prophecy is conditional. But if God is not right about a prophecy, then that is more than just a change of mind!

That is being wrong, and Scripture says that cannot be. Yet the Open View must hold that this is true, that God, indeed, can actually be wrong:

Blessings,
Lee

When I post something I like for it to represent evidence. Nothing you said above is evidence for your points, it is just problems you have with the O.V.. You can't seem to understand it. I am not saying you are right about these comments above, I am just saying they aren't proofs.

They are only your understanding of the issue. You, for example, ask if Jonah knew better than God that the Ninivites might repent. You assume the O.V. believes Jonah did? No, we don't say that at all. We just say the future was open, and God would have relented from disaster if they repented. It so happens that it happened that way in this case. It has nothing to do with what Jonah thought, or knew, or wanted.

Besides, I always thought Jonah ran because he didn't like the Ninivites..........

So all I wanted to say is those points are not evidence against the O.V., they are just your conception of it. But anyway, more to come later. It is back to work for now.

-Patman

RobE

Patrick, Bling, and Lee

Patrick, Bling, and Lee

I didn't mean to interrupt the flow of thought about Tyre. I was just trying to start a conversation with Lee. I believe that a prophecy that isn't fulfilled isn't a prophecy at all. The two words prophecy and unfulfilled are antonyms. Lee believes the prophecy was fulfilled through the scripture. You say not. Lee's now talking about Jonah because there's an excellent example of prophecy, right? You and Lee are arguing about the definition of the word Prophecy. I agree with Lee's definition, but see that Neb. didn't sack Tyre. So, I looked for about 30 minutes and found the scripture which I passed on to you which in my opinion fulfills what God said(prophecy). I can also follow Lee's possibility or question the translation. It truly doesn't matter to me. I believe all prophecy is fulfilled or it isn't prophecy. Period.

Patman said:
Foreordination - God, at the beginning of time planned all events. Because he planned these events, he knows them perfectly. Thus, God knows the future.

Foreordination(Fore = Pre; Ordo = Latin to arrange): Pre-arrange.
Foresight(Fore = Pre; Sight = to see or envision): Pre-envision. To have foreknowledge of.

Patman said:
Simple Foreknowledge - 1). God knows 100% of future events by ability. 2).God knows some future events by use of calculated knowledge about current events, or by power to cause them.

Definition 2 is what I hold to. And I THINK RobE does too. Lee holds to 1. However, RobE seems to say that 1 could happen without foreordination happening.

Patrick, I hold that God knows 100% of the future events by His ability; whether that ability is His because of: calculated knowledge about current events, or by power to cause them, or by some supernatural ability which is unknown to us. I'm sure that Lee would agree with me that God is powerful enough to change any outcome that He wanted to; and has exactly that right, as Creator and Lord. This doesn't mean that He needs to though.

Patman said:
But before I responded, I wanted to point out what you were doing. In doing so I wonder why I am the only one you are going after lately. I thought we had some good agreements, and you claimed aspects to the OV, and agreed with me that some prophecies were unfulfilled.

Actually the OV holds aspects which Traditional Christianity has alway affirmed. You, me, Bling, and Lee all hold those aspects to be 100% true.

Patman said:
RobE, you said that it would be impossible for God to create a 100% good creation even by a God who had 100% simple-foreknowledge because of freewill. I wish you could see that you can't have both.

I said it would be impossible for God to reach His Goal in an environment where man could not sin. Which is the exact point Bling is making with you. Without freewill there is no Agape love.

Patman said:
If he didn't like what he saw as an outcome by that design, he would be able to change the design. Ultimately the final design would have the desired future reaction. It would not have truly chosen that outcome, because he was made to act out the desired reaction.

Let me ask you. If God made a design where all were saved/perfect would a free choice be available or coerced. The choice is what tests us and makes us what He desires. Any creation that He made; would have similar outcomes with His current goal. Adam had to sin. Lucifer fulfilled His role in the design.

Patman said:
But there is the problem... it is all a design. It is all designed to work and act the desired way. It isn't free. It is all a big program.

Creation implies design and action in accordance with the designer. It doesn't mean that the agents within that design can't act within the range of their influence. For example: A dog on a chain can still eat, drink, sleep, etc....; Yet he's not free to run in the park, fly, etc....

This is why I spoke to you earlier about real choices. Remember? Look back. Any culpability the designer would have in the defects of His creation would be overcome by a safety net.

Patman said:
RobE, you say God gets out of it because even though we all need lifeboats, God provides them to whoever will take them. But you don't see that God designed it all to go the way it did, meaning he designed some to stay off of the boats to make room for the others by design.

He designed All to get on the boats and gave them ALL sufficient ability to make the correct decision. Pre-seeing what they would do doesn't make him culpable; because He offered them an easy way out of their troubles. Before you choose Him your future is eternal damnation. Why is this true if your outcome isn't settled. After you choose Him your future is eternal life. Why is this true if your outcome isn't settled. Notice I didn't mention His choices--- because He chose you before you were born. This is how He's responsible for your salvation and you're responsible for your damnation.

A personal note to my friend Patrick

Patrick you are my friend. You believe God loves us and cares for us. You, therefore, ask yourself why did God(if He foresees the future) make Judas Iscariot. After all, doesn't that mean that He made Judas Iscariot for the lake of fire? My answer, of course, is:

God made Judas Iscariot 'Good', but Judas didn't accept what Jesus offered to him; even though, God had given Judas sufficient grace to choose correctly. Although God foresaw Judas' future and was saddened by Judas' choices; He allowed Judas to make that same choice so that at judgement Judas couldn't say that it was the creator's fault(anymore than He could say the "Devil made me do it"). Also the Devil couldn't rightly accuse God of making it impossible for Judas to sin.

So why did God foreseeing that many would go into the lake of fire proceed with the creative act? This is important-----Because God also foresaw that many would persevere and come through the fire into eternal life and love! How many Judases would God allow in order to get one Patrick? Would He even remember the lost sons or just rejoice in the ones who returned of their own accord? Why would He continue if He foresaw the destruction of some.......For the sake of His own.

I appreciate your openess and opinions, always.

Yours,
RobE

patman

Rob,

I apologize for interrupting your conversation with lee. I felt as if I were being talked about, yet it was in front of me, yet not behind my back. It looks like you found a round about way to agree with us both, enough that you feel you don't need to add anything.

I did not know you distinguished the word prophecy as you do. I do not, I hold to the common meaning of the word, which is "a prediction." God spoke of false prophets, and they were prophesying. Regardless of if they were right or wrong, they were still predicting the future i.e. making prophecies.

I think my words sometimes make it look like I think something that I don't, or the reader gets lost in them sometimes. So I am one of those people you have to read carefully.

My whole point was if God could see the future, that kills freewill. You affirmed that a few times, unknowingly I think, because it looked as if some of my arguments were my own beliefs, but instead they were other's beliefs and which lead to why they were wrong.

I hope you know that I agree that we need freewill, and from the very begining, I have said that no freewill means no love from God, and no love back to him. This is why freewill is important.

But at the same time, creating something with the absolute knowledge of the evil it would become is the belief you, bling, and lee seem to uphold. I submit that God didn't absolutely know what would happen because the future is open, and created us out of hope for the best.

The one point I have to say about the 100% foreknowledge is that God knew exactly what direction his creation would go in as it was created. That means he saw all freewill choices, and the choices that made them turn out as they did, and all the various roads people would go down with 100% perfection. He knew how a small change here, and a small change there would effect those paths.

God doesn't do anything half-hazzard. It is with reason, and wisdom. So God if God knew the future, and the endless possibilities little changes here or there would cause on future events, he would have created man with all those possibilities in mind. Every little aspect of the first man would have a great chain reaction on all man, and even though he had freewill, his actions would have been provoked by his very creation, his very environment, and would lead to what we have today because of the design he chose.

If anyone believes God knows 100% of the future, that person unwittingly believes that God chose a design for man that would lead to his fall. Even though he had "freewill" the obstacles God created in his very soul, his very mind, his very body, and the things around him, would all play a part in his fall with certainty.

But if you take 100% future knowledge out, and understand that God can't see past the choices we will make because that is unknowable even to us, then and only then is Adam truly free to choose God or sin.

I hope I am making some since. I thank you for your friendship, Rob. I hope you understand that I said all that because I thought we were on the same page with Ezekiel. And I remembered you saying that you basically wanted no one to go around with bad ideas in their head.... so you would try to give your input to help them, I thought you would have done that for lee.

It seemed at the time you were only after my reaction to your conversation with lee.

I hope you can see that it doesn't matter how you define prophecy, the REAL point I am after is that "God said one thing would happen, but a different thing happened instead." That has always been my proof that God doesn't have 100% foreknowledge. Ezekiel 26 is just one of many examples.

Lee is good at questioning translations, but all of them say the same thing. And even his own translations he submitted says the same eternal end of Tyre by Nebuchadnezzar's war with it... It is just beyond me how he doesn't see it.

Anyway, that's all I got for now.
-Pat

lee_merrill

patman said:
It is just beyond me how he doesn't see it.
Tee hee. I have said the same thing about other folks! It is a common complain in these forums, you may have noticed...

Blessings,
Lee

lee_merrill

And speaking of compaints, I still don't have an edit button! Is anyone else missing an edit button on their posts here?

More blessings,
Lee

patman

Final Attempt for Lee

Final Attempt for Lee

OK, Lee, this will be my final attempt to show you that they refers to Nebuchadnezzar's army. I am a little worried as to what translation to use as I write this, since you use so switch from time to time. So I thought I would just use the ESV, since you used it in the last paragraph.

This is going to be difficult to do. So to start with, I will identify all the pronouns. I will use http://leo.stcloudstate.edu/grammar/pronante.html , http://www.yorku.ca/gcareers/grammar/pronouns.htm , http://www.teachersfirst.com/lessons/dante/grammar1.htm as a guideline to identifying the antecedents.

These are good points from the above pages:

A pronoun is a word used to replace a noun. (example John broke his arm.["his" is the pronoun, the antecedent is John.])

The antecedent usually appears before the pronoun. Pronouns may be the antecedents of other pronouns(HE enjoys HIS free time.[He is the antecedent of his])

Agreement: A pronoun must agree with its antecedent in three ways: 1) Person refers to the quality of being.2) Number is the quality that distinguishes between singular (one entity) and plural (numerous entities) 3)Gender is the quality that distinguishes the entities as masculine or feminine.

Pronouns and antecedents can also cause problems if they are placed "too far" away from each other in the sentence or paragraph. Usually the pronoun and its antecedent are placed "close" together.

2"Son of man, because Tyre said concerning Jerusalem, 'Aha, the gate of the peoples is

broken; it has swung open to me. I shall be

replenished, now that she is laid waste,'

3therefore thus says the Lord GOD: Behold,

I am against you, O Tyre, and will bring up

many nations against you, as the sea brings

up its waves. 4They shall destroy the walls of

Tyre and break down her towers, and I will

scrape her soil from her and make her a

bare rock. 5She shall be in the midst of the

sea a place for the spreading of nets, for I

have spoken, declares the Lord GOD. And

she shall become plunder for the nations,

6and her daughters on the mainland shall be

killed by the sword. Then they will know that

I am the LORD. 7"For thus says the Lord GOD: Behold,

I will bring against Tyre from the north

Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon, king of

kings, with horses and chariots, and with

horsemen and a host of many soldiers.

8He will kill with the sword your daughters

on the mainland. He will set up a siege wall

against you and throw up a mound against

you, and raise a roof of shields against you.

9He will direct the shock of his battering

rams against your walls, and with his axes

he will break down your towers. 10His horses

will be so many that their dust will cover you.

Your walls will shake at the noise of the horsemen

and wagons and chariots, when he enters your

gates as men enter a city that has been breached.

11With the hoofs of his horses he will trample all your

streets. He will kill your people with the sword, and your

mighty pillars will fall to the ground. 12They will plunder

your riches and loot your merchandise. They will break

down your walls and destroy your pleasant houses. Your

stones and timber and soil they will cast into the midst

of the waters. 13And I will stop the music of your songs,

and the sound of your lyres shall be heard no more. 14I

will make you a bare rock. You shall be a place for the

spreading of nets. You shall never be rebuilt, for I am the

LORD; I have spoken, declares the Lord GOD.

OK, that should be all of them, I don't think I missed any. Now lets break it down to find out what the pronouns refer to.

2"Son of man, because Tyre said concerning Jerusalem, 'Aha, the gate of the peoples is broken; it(Jerusalem) has swung open to me(Tyre).

"it" refers to Jerusalem because Tyre is speaking about Jerusalem. Since Tyre is speaking, "me" refers to Tyre.

I(Tyre) shall be replenished, now that she(Jerusalem) is laid waste,' Tyre is still speaking, "I" refers to Tyre. Tyre is still talking about Jerusalem, so "she" refers Jerusalem. 3therefore thus says the Lord GOD: Behold, I am against you, O Tyre, and will bring up many nations against you, as the sea brings up its waves. Because God is now speaking, "I" refers to God. "You" refers to Tyre, because Tyre is identified in the following comma seperation ", O Tyre, ". "Its refers to "sea."

They(nations) shall destroy the walls of Tyre and break down her(Tyre's) towers, and I(God) will scrape her(Tyre's) soil from her(Tyre's) and make her(Tyre's) a bare rock.

"They" is identified in the previous sentence because this sentence does not identify who "they" are. "They" is a plural pronoun, and must have a plural noun to refer to. It is the first time "they" is used. The previous sentence mentions nations, sea, Tyre, and God. Only two of these nouns are plural, and these are "nations" and "Tyre." Because Tyre is being addressed directly, "They" cannot refer to Tyre, because it is not a first person pronoun that agrees with the rest of the sentence. Thus, "They" refers to "nations." "Her" revers to Tyre in the second person, because Tyre is not being spoken about after it was addressed by name. Every instance of her refers to Tyre as there is no additional subjects to assign her to. I refers to God, as he is still speaking.

5She(Tyre) shall be in the midst of the sea a place for the spreading of nets, for I have spoken, declares the Lord GOD. And she shall become plunder for the nations, 6and her(Tyre's) daughters on the mainland shall be killed by the sword. Then they(nations) will know that I am the LORD.

"She" is identified in the previous sentence. The Gender, plurality, and tense matches the previous pronoun of "her" which also refereed to Tyre. I refers to God, as he is still speaking. The next instants of "she" and "her" continue to refer to "Tyre" as there is no other noun that matches the gender and person. Also, there is no new new nouns introduced as subjects. They refers to nations, in the previous sentence, as "she" will be" killed by the sword." and they, the nations, who remain will know that God is the Lord.

7"For thus says the Lord GOD: Behold, I(God) will bring against Tyre from the north Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon, king of kings, with horses and chariots, and with horsemen and a host of many soldiers. I refers to God, as he is speaking. Note the new male noun Nebuchadnezzar.8He(Nebuchadnezzar) will kill with the sword your daughters on the mainland. He(Nebuchadnezzar) will set up a siege wall against you and throw up a mound against you(Tyre), and raise a roof of shields against you(Tyre). 9He(Nebuchadnezzar) will direct the shock of his(Nebuchadnezzar's) battering rams against your(Tyre's) walls, and with his(Nebuchadnezzar's) axes he(Nebuchadnezzar) will break down your(Tyre's) towers. 10His(Nebuchadnezzar's) horses will be so many that their(Nebuchadnezzar's horses) dust will cover you(Tyre). Your(Tyre's) walls will shake at the noise of the horsemen and wagons and chariots, when he(Nebuchadnezzar) enters your(Tyre's) gates as men enter a city that has been breached. 11With the hoofs of his(Nebuchadnezzar's) horses he(Nebuchadnezzar) will trample all your(Tyre's) streets. He(Nebuchadnezzar) will kill your(Tyre's) people with the sword, and your(Tyre's) mighty pillars will fall to the ground.

"He" refers to the second person male gendered noun from the previous sentence, as this sentence has not identified "he" yet. That can only be a reference to the person identified by name and gender, Nebuchadnezzar, the king of Babylon. The following instances of He continue to refer to the original noun, as no new instances of a noun that match the requirements to "he" in gender, person, and plurality are not found in the following sentences. Thus, the same can be said of "his", that it refers to the same "he." Nebuchadnezzar, with the new understanding that his reflects ownership/possession of the following objects, nouns, and or subjects. "Your" Refers Tyre, as Tyre was identified in the as the people being addressed in the first sentence that said, "Behold, I am against you, O Tyre."
This is the last usage of the pronoun you and has yet to change. No other person, place, or thing has been presented as the addressee to the message. Tyre remains the direct object, you, through out this message. "Their" refers to horses, belonging to Nebuchadnezzar, as the plurality, person, and tense matches with horses. It does not refer to Many nations. The horses are not those of many nations, as they are a possession of one male, as refereed by the pronoun "his." His refers, as already addressed, to Nebuchadnezzar. It is Nebuchadnezzar's horses "covering Tyre with dust."

12They will plunder your riches and loot your merchandise. They will break down your walls and destroy your pleasant houses. Your stones and timber and soil they will cast into the midst of the waters. 13And I will stop the music of your songs, and the sound of your lyres shall be heard no more. 14I will make you a bare rock. You shall be a place for the spreading of nets. You shall never be rebuilt, for I am the LORD; I have spoken, declares the Lord GOD.

"They" is a plural pronoun, meaning it can refer to a group of people, or a group of a group. IE, soldiers of an army. They is unidentified, so we must go to the previous sentence for to find out what it refers to. As we look backwards, there are no plural nouns to which we can pin "they" to. As we look forward, there are none either. So we must look backwards a sentence more. We again find Nebuchadnezzar's horses doing something. This is plural, but the personification does not seem to match, so we look farther back still. Now we are starting to get a good picture, because we see group of people, "horsemen and wagons and chariots," all these are good candidates for the pronoun they. It is much better than "many nations" because the antecedent is close to its pronoun. Many nations is "too far" away to work for this pronoun.

It should be understood that "he" does refer to Nebuchadnezzar, but in the figurative since. He isn't superman, he is only one person. His armies are the ones doing all the work. We thus should understand that it is Nebuchadnezzar who is behind all the wars, but not literately him doing all the work. We can see that plainly when he refers to men entering a gate in the middle of the paragraph, and when he seems to include the horsemen, wagons, and chariots.

The meaning of the word "they" is clearly not "many nations" as the pronoun is changed by this paragraph. Its distance is too great to refer to many nations.

I said this would be my final attempt. It is without doubt, no matter what translation is read, what God is saying is that Nebuchadnezzar would be the one to destroy Tyre utterly and eternally. Lee, if you still refuse to see that, it is not my fault, but your own, by reason to hold to a belief.

I stuck to my guns on this Tyre - Egypt argument because you challenged me and my knowledge of history and the bible when I first submitted. I feel that anyone who reads this will see that I am correct in this area.

I was hesitant to throw more wood on the fire, but I will, I will present more verses to prove that God will change his word. You will have to deal with each one, I hope we do not get into a grammar fight again, and that you will see the clear meanings of what I will submit in the future.

Happy Thanks Giving, Lee,
-Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.