BATTLE TALK ~ BRX (rounds 8 thru 10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

patman

RobE

RobE

RobE said:
How did God know that He would be a light to the Gentiles if He didn't know the future and had no plan?

How did God know Cyrus would consent to this or did God interfere with Cyrus' free will?

How did God know the items would be there when He decided to bring them back? Foresight?

The defeat of Esau's people by David. Did God make this happen just because He foretold it or did He foresee it happening when they were in the womb?

I hope I gave you some things to think about,

Your Friend,

Rob

RobE, I did post a quick reply to you, thinking it would take me a while to answer these post. But then I realized I already did a long time ago.

I don't know if you read that post, I was new here and uninteresting at the time.

Here is what I said:

patman said:
From what I have read and heard, the settled view followers seem to hold highly to this equation:

"A" knows all of the future because "A" predicted that "B" would happen with accuracy.

Of course they use "A" = God, "B" = some bible verse, such as Peter denying Christ.

But it is plain to see that if this is the one argument they rest all their beliefs on, their theology is on shaky ground. The Settled Equation is not a proof, it is a very bad theory. How? If you substitute "A" with an actual person and "B" with an event they predicted, the conclusion is not they knew the future.

For example, my mother predicted that one day I would get married. Therefore my mother knows the all of future.

"A" = mother
"B" = get married

Did it happen? Yes.

Therefore "A" (mom) knows all of the future.

This logic fails big time. It can't even be considered evidence to the conclusion.

For example:

If the Settled Equation can repeatedly show someone knew a future event, thus it is more likely or true that that person knew the future.

Settled View followers say that because God predicted Peter and Judas, the crucifixion, and the book or revelations, thus God knows the future.

But, again, my mom predicted that one day I would go to high school, that I would have a broken heart from a girl turning me down, that one day I would learn to drive a car, and that I would go to the prom and graduate. She said I would go to college, despite my non-willingness to go. And to this day she thinks me and my wife will have children. Therefore, mom knows the future.

Do you see? It is obvious my mother does not know the future, yet if you plug her into the equation, she does! But we know there is some other explanation... that is she knows me well enough, and she knows life of the typical American boy growing up. She knows what happens when you get married, and she believed and hoped I would find someone.

God can do much the same. And he can intervene, make things happen.

Aside from the Settled Equation, the Settled view works on faith. "Any god has to know the future because that's what gods do. It makes them powerful." Says who? You?

Settled View logic again falls behind.
"A" is powerful. Thus "A" can do "A-Z" (i.e. everything).

My computer is a powerful machine. It can do complex tasks in seconds. But can it stop the world from turning? No, it has a different kind of power, but it is power none the less.

God is powerful, can he be the worst sinner? No. Some things are impossible for God, and sin is one of them. I think everyone can agree on at least that. His inability to sin does not make him weaker, or less of a god, does it? No.

If you can agree with that, you must logically agree that having power does not give you the ability to do anything that is conceivable. You cannot come to the logical conclusion that God is powerful and can do anything.

You are not blaspheming God by saying he does not do a certain thing, unless He said other wise. You do not blaspheme God by saying he does not know the future, but you do if you say he is unloving. It is different. God never said "I know the future", but he does say he is loving.

Settled View uses this faulty logic and fear of insulting God to come to the conclusion that God knows the future. And it leads them to think that God does ordain sin, or that God is in such control that every aspect of every life is his to decide, thus he sends people to hell for his will.

If you simply think about God not knowing the future... It doesn't take away any of his might, it does not make him less of a god. It just means that when someone sins, God didn't say, "Ye shall sin." Or if someone goes to heaven, it was out of love, not force.

The settled viewers need to rethink their logic. And they should consider the lack of God’s own addition to absolute foreknowledge.

And one last time, here are those faulty equations

“A” knows the future because “A” accurately predicted “B”.

“A” knows the future because of the large number of accurate predictions.

“A” is powerful. Therefore A can do A-Z (i.e. everything).
This applies here.

“A” knows the future because of the large number of accurate predictions.

This argument is fallacious. A fallacy, not one to form solid ideas upon.

God is a powerful God and able to "see" through many things. But as we have been talking about with Tyre, sometimes they don't happen. This illustrates a clear inability to see the future in absolutes.

So I say God predicted that Cyrus would be the king to rebuild. I say that's a show of God's ability to plan. We would have to get into the history of Cyrus if you really want a detailed answer based on reason, but we are not really looking for an answer.

The question implies there is no other reason for it other than clearly seeing the future. God CAN make accurate predictions, but not through a crystal ball. How? By planning for them, setting events into motion, and by his understanding of the situation. This knowledge is not absolute at times.

Bob Enyart answered this in the debate too. His answers were good also.

I just hope you can see what I am saying, and read me right.

-Pat

RobE

I can't accept your answer above because I've already rejected many of the statements you made there. If you re-read it I'm sure you know which ones. I think both of us have a little different thinking after 20 more pages of this discussion.

Thanks,

Rob

Last edited:

patman

Reply to Lee

Reply to Lee

Lee!!!!

Welcome back. I hope all is well.

lee_merrill said:
Lee's Tyrade

Here is Lee, who once again,
Considers Neb and all his friends,
Was Babylon an only nation,
Were they to do the desolation?

Or was there Alex, and lots of Greeks!
To be discussed by theo-geeks.
And are there answers? Or just questions
About this city's towering bastions.

Ah! 'tis my fate, for months and months
To eat a tyre each day for lunch.
At dinner time, the self-same chorus:
"Just serve me some tyrannosaurus."
Hilarious, Cool, Great poem. Tyre is not pronounced like "tear", it is more like "hire", with a T instead of an H.. or you could say it sounds the rubber thing on your car that spins (the tire). But it is a good pun, and I liked it. Ohh.. I could be wrong about the eating tears, you could have meant eating tires too... but still a good working pun.

I guess eating tears sounds fitting in a "sad" poem. Ahh.. you'll tell me what it is in the next post I hope.

Still good work. Says a lot. Your music appreciation shows through, are you a song writer as well?

BTW, Lee. My last post was quite passionate and I felt a little bad for letting it all out. I was not meaning to demean you, I did not want to nor try to, I just wanted to express my frustrations with this debate.

In our debate, I felt as though you were not putting much effort in the research. I was finding it difficult to talk to you since it appeared you didn't refute my main points. And you still haven't :)

But still, after I ran across that, I realized you did do a lot of research on it, and had participated in a debate before me. When I learned this, I was beside myself with disbelief, because all this time I was frustrated for nothing.

I accused you of this often too. And you never corrected me for doing this. I do not wish do be one to judge you incorrectly, next time, stop me. I am glad we hold much the same knowledge on Tyre.
lee_merrill said:
Well yes, and in order to stop me from presenting these arguments, the best way would be to ... refute me! Why is "they" only Neb and his army? Why am I wrong (along with the UNASB) about the prophecy saying "not built more"?
This will be my objective again. But not in this post. I already put some effort in doing this before, but you did not seem to agree at all...

Now that I know you understand the problems with Tyre's prophecies, I feel that I can move past all that and focus on this. It seems to be the only thing keeping you from moving beyond this.

I do not know how much more I can do to show you the flaws in this.

When I debate, I try to cover many angles and answer any rebuts before they come about. I try to think like the other side, so I can understand them and so I can understand the subject matter. It helps to be your own devils advocate sometimes.

I ask you in your next reply to just give me 3 or 4 strong reasons that I might tell you to show you how it is an incorrect interpretation.
lee_merrill said:
"Not built more," which is what a most literal translation (as I see it) would be here, and that is my view. To refute me, you now need to show why this translation is wrong.
Lee, do you read Hebrew? Did you translate this yourself?

I do not read Hebrew, and I cannot translate it. I reason that since most translators translate it to the way I present the verse, that odds are this presentation is accurate. It is not a proof, but it is better than just saying "this one is my favorite."

In my last post to you, I gave you several translations to show how the verses read.

So unless either of us can read Hebrew, or a few non bias persons comes on the thread who can read Hebrew translate it for us.... all I can do is say "most translations do not agree with that particular one."

Thanks Lee.
-Patman

patman

RobE!!!!

RobE!!!!

I have your number RobE, please take it off the forum before tele-marketers and spammers get it!!!!

patman

Good talking with RobE on the Phone

Good talking with RobE on the Phone

It was good talking to you on the phone. I think we truly agree in many more aspects than not.

It seems we disagree on the means of absolute foreknowledge as to its probable ends, and that is OK with me. It is OK with me because we both agree that absolute foreknowledge is not the way things are. I think it OK to agree to disagree on the topic of "what if" in this particular situation.

It seems we agree on many aspects the knowledge God does have, even though we may "stretch" that knowledge to different extents. The basics are still there. We both seem to think that there are somethings that God does not care to know, i.e. the future sock colors we pick. We both agree that there are aspects of the future that God does not know with 100% certainty, but at times with great accuracy, and even then the future is open to change.

This goes along with the belief that we share about freewill, in that we are all responsible for our own sins, and that God offered us "the life raft" in Jesus that we may choose to return to God. I think it good that many christians agree, and I hope those who do not will look at this thread and be convinced otherwise.

Most importantly we agree in our own hearts to be on the same boat with Jesus as our savior. This is the greatest thing. We agree the Body was something God has always known about, and that God has planned for us all a way to be saved, good, bad, worst, and terrible, all may be saved should we choose.

Thanks for talk, Rob. I hope I presented our shared beliefs in a way that represents your true beliefs. To the reader, please allow some lead way in my representation of RobE, in that I am summing and generalizing things. Let RobE present his beliefs as he states them if I got anything wrong.

God Bless
-PatMan

P.S. I never got to ask you about your opinion on Tyre on the phone. You seemed to share a similar belief that God changed his mind on it, but never directly said it. Do you agree that Nebuchadnezzar and Babylon were originally said to be the ones to utterly destroy it, and that Alexander is not a fulfillment to that prophecy specifically?

I can agree that Alexander did do what the prophecy called for, the beating down of Tyre to a great extent, but in particular to that prophecy being the exact fulfillment, I must disagree.

bling

This is all well and good but we have left are original train of thought and are pursuing another direction on the same story. We have both put a lot of work into the other posting and still have a lot of un answered questions. I would really like you to pick up where we left off, but for this area:
Patman asked:
I have heard for so long that before the fall, animals were vegetarians too. I do not know what verse people use to come to this conclusion, If someone would clarify it for me, I would appreciate it.
Gen.1 : 29 Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. 30 And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air and all the creatures that move on the ground—everything that has the breath of life in it—I give every green plant for food."
Patman asked:
Can you imagine a world where bugs never died? And animals?
That is only part of the problem. This Garden was not designed to handle billions of people, it is an ecological disaster. We all agree God had a plan that included Christ going to the cross before the garden was started, so was the Garden chapter one in that plan or was the Garden another very limited plan needing major modifications “if successful”? Using your ideas and the information we have in scripture it appears God did not think this out very well and would need a lot of changes, the world and the universe, we do know about has excellent checks and balances. To the agnostic reader of the garden story, it looks like the Garden was a unique place just for a very few adults, to last a short time, without a lot of unnatural actions from God.
Patman said:
This is why, until I get some scriptural proof, I am not going to believe there was no death among the animals before the fall.
Green plants were their food. Put even if they did eat each other the amount of food along with the predators limits insect populations, the Garden has lots of food and only two people and some predators to protect that food in a fairly large area. God will have to be in close control of reproduction and deaths, which He can do and can also control human reproduction to the point the Garden this size may only handle two adults and give them all they desire.
Patman said:
The tree was not made irresistible. It was pleasant to the eye, yes. But not so pleasant that you couldn't turn it down. It isn't the Lays Potato chip of fruit that no one can turn back and everyone ends up shaving their heads.
This tree is fantastic except for the fact that God said “do not eat” (and maybe do not touch) and the fact you will die if you eat it. Now, Satan comes along and tricks Eve into think she will not die and God is being selfish, removing the two hurtles, so she eats. How is this sin of Eve’s different then any persons first sin they are held accountable for (besides the consequences that no one thinks about at the time)?

Patman said:
Bling, I do not know this for a fact, it is only a theory. It seems that Satan must request of God the permission to test his children before he can.

Anyone reading that will think Satan knows more about humans then God does. God knows very will what “might” happen since He put the cross in His plan.

Patman said:
This I am pretty sure about: It also seems a rule that God protects his children against such evil in supernatural ways.

Whichever option, if not more options, is correct it does not matter. Adam and Eve were in no danger by Satan's presence. They were protected in some way, as all God's children are.

But that protection does not limit our ability to follow Satan, as it is our choice.
God has been protecting 12 billion people and has failed every time. It sounds like the protection is not very good or at least no better then Eve’s.

When people look at this story they do not see Eve making this big rebellious statement to turn from God and follow Satan, they see a women being tricked into doing something she will regret doing and wish she had not done. The result is following Satan, but that was not the motive Satan used to trick her.

Patman said:
Perhaps I over stated the "every hour of every day" in my last post. The possibility to leave God is there "every hour of every day" But the thought may not be.

Man could have turned down the offer Satan presented, and only thought about it once every thousand years for all we know, only to say no again. I see no reason to say man was driven by obsessive thoughts and constant temptations to eat of the tree.
Romans 7: For I would not have known what coveting really was if the law had not said, "Do not covet." 8But sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, produced in me every kind of covetous.

Eve coveted God’s knowledge of good and evil. If a religious fanatic like Paul (that is in a good way) could not keep from thinking about coveting after he learned about not coveting, how will Eve handle it?
Learning the rules does not cause you to drop them from your mind, and then there is Satan what else does he have to do?

Satan was not making an offer, he was trying to trick Eve into sinning. He is not saying come follow me and leave God. He is not even presenting himself to Adam and Eve.

Patman said:
One thing we can do is look at God's character, note what his will is for us, note why he created us, and keep in mind that the future is open to anything happening. With this understanding the Garden Situation places no blame on God and does not call into question his love for us.
I hope you realize the reasons the people bring up the garden is because they recognize the problem: God knew the outcome of the Garden and created man anyway... and the outcome was our messed up world today. So they ask, "Why would a 'loving' God do that?"

Thus they call into question, if he isn't really loving, how and why should I love him?

But the problem is solved if you simply tell them "but he didn't know the outcome with certainty."

Then the conclusion is different. God created man believing in his possibility, and loved him by putting him in the Garden. And loved him more by offering a way out, should he want it.
This makes God out to be very naive about humans (yet, He has the cross in the wings), people do not see Adam and Eve intentionally rebelling against God and going for the door out. They see Adam and Eve sinning for the first time in their lives very similar to the way we all sin the first time in our lives. They see the tree as being made very tempting, like sin is made in their lives and they see the Garden as a very temporary set up, not like it was to sustain people for ever. They know it is extremely hard to not covet and God would realize that. “God created man believing in his possibility”, then we today have a much better understanding of man then God did back then.

Patman said: But if those same people would look at it through the glass of the OV instead of the SV, suddenly the garden was a place of GOOD possibilities. The SV in general says the future was known, and thus the only possibility was BAD. with the OV, you can see both are possible, and that is why we were made, and that is a way to see God's love.

When you read the story through the OV, and you look at what happened while keeping in mind God did not know the future, you see a new side.
If anyone really thinks about the Garden with the idea it was set up for humans for eternity not to sin with the type of temptation set before them, it is not logical. And the fact that it did not work for that purpose should come as no surprise and to most the results are obvious.

I will definitely agree with you the way almost all SV’ers present this story sounds terrible. But the way you are presenting the OV version does not put God in any good light either, He is way to naïve and not very helpful.

I look at it totally different. The objective is not for humans to maintain a close relationship with God through obedience to command(s), the objective is to develop Godly type love for God and other humans, that is not something natural like loving a parent, but thought out, sacrificial, all of the emotion, intelligence, time, energy, spirit, and choices of the person. Sin and Satan will happen and can work for their good, Romans 8: 28And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him,[j] who[k] have been called according to his purpose.

I keep saying it, God does not desire a lot of things to happen, but will allow them to happen if it can help humans to develop Godly type love. Look what all loving things comes into play, because of the sin that can not come into play without sin.
I am preaching again, sorry.

Patman said:
The Garden is the perfect place to show God's love and hope for us when you take out the pre-asumption about his future knowledge.
With or without foreknowledge a smart God would pre-assume the results that happened, I would have, you would have, anyone who thinks about the story would have, but that shows me a much more loving God that knows the cross will be needed, instead of one that hopes it won’t be needed, either way you have said God knew the cross will happen if not for all, then some. If some then why not all? If there is benefit for all, like forgiveness, the Spirit, see God’s sacrifice, being able to have needy others, personally feeling separation to value the closeness all the more, etc., then why not have everyone share in this?

RobE

patman said:
It seems we disagree on the means of absolute foreknowledge as to its probable ends, and that is OK with me. It is OK with me because we both agree that absolute foreknowledge is not the way things are. I think it OK to agree to disagree on the topic of "what if" in this particular situation.

Our disagreement comes in the form of Absolute Foreknowledge .vs Foreordination. I'm not sure you see a difference in these.

Your example has always been: If God foresaw everything before He started it and started it anyway then He is culpable for all evil even though He didn't commit it. If He foresaw it He would be responsible because they would have NO REAL choice. This I would call Foreordination. In Calvinism no real choice exists. God made some men(using the old term) as reprobate; some as the elect.

My position has always been: If God foresaw everything before He started it and started it anyway then He is NOT culpable for all evil even though He started everything because He gave everyone a way out and let them make their own choice. This I would call Foresight(foreknowledge). Viewing a man's future as a matter of history, not destiny(fate). In this position God only Foreordained the elect not the reprobate. When a man(reprobate) makes a free will decision for Jesus then all the angels rejoice. God, even though He foresaw certain events from the past can; and does, change some of those events in the present. This alters the future in very limited ways(granted it alters your future dramatically), but not the overall future. He constantly works to 'increase the harvest' of the elect out of the earth just as His servants(the elect) are ordered to do and to preserve those that are already His. He works to save ALL men on a day to day basis, especially those that He saw not making a correct choice from the beginning.

Hence, some of the elect fall into corruption and some of the corrupt become the elect. This would make foreordination impossible, but not simple foreknowledge. Simple foreknowledge deals with what He saw in the past. Free will exists in the present. Now, this moment, is where everything can change for you and He wants it to. It's simply theory .vs practice(foresight .vs now).

I now this is a hard concept to grasp, but I'm doing my best to put it forward with you. I can tell you feel as if I say God changes His mind, God changes the future, Free Will is unpredictable, etc...; on the one hand: and then I say God foresaw everything(which would allow for no changes) on the other.

The only way I can put it is this----Now, this moment, is where everything can change for you and He wants it to. It's simply theory .vs practice(foresight .vs now). However, this doesn't change Him or His future. Duplicity? That's what the Calvinists said to the Arminians.

Patman said:
We both agree that there are aspects of the future that God does not know with 100% certainty, but at times with great accuracy, and even then the future is open to change.

I would say our future is open to change. Where we were dead we now live in Christ.

Patman said:
This goes along with the belief that we share about freewill, in that we are all responsible for our own sins, and that God offered us "the life raft" in Jesus that we may choose to return to God. I think it good that many christians agree, and I hope those who do not will look at this thread and be convinced otherwise.

He wants them ALL.

Patman said:
Most importantly we agree in our own hearts to be on the same boat with Jesus as our savior. This is the greatest thing. We agree the Body was something God has always known about, and that God has planned for us all a way to be saved, good, bad, worst, and terrible, all may be saved should we choose.

Choose and run true.

Patman said:
P.S. I never got to ask you about your opinion on Tyre on the phone. You seemed to share a similar belief that God changed his mind on it, but never directly said it. Do you agree that Nebuchadnezzar and Babylon were originally said to be the ones to utterly destroy it, and that Alexander is not a fulfillment to that prophecy specifically?

I believe the scripture in Jeremiah stands on this issue. Yes, God said He would utterly destroy Tyre and said He wouldn't utterly destroy any nation that subjegated themselves to Neb. It appears Tyre dodged a bullet. However, I think when Alexander destroyed it; He destroyed it just like the scripture says Neb. would. I find this interesting. You can see His hand in it then.

Patman said:
I can agree that Alexander did do what the prophecy called for, the beating down of Tyre to a great extent, but in particular to that prophecy being the exact fulfillment, I must disagree.

Wikipedia says Alexander destroyed half the city and killed or enslaved the entire population. I would agree it's not exact, but not one soul in Tyre was spared by Alexander. This would seem to be utterly destroyed by my definition, but it was rebuilt though.

Yours,
Rob

lee_merrill

Hi everyone,

RobE: Jeremiah 27:11

11 But if any nation will bow its neck under the yoke of the king of Babylon and serve him, I will let that nation remain in its own land to till it and to live there, declares the Lord.

Does this suffice?
That would be fine, but then that doesn't mean their city will last forever! This might be like the promise made to King Josiah:

2 Kings 22:15 - 23:1 She said to them, "This is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: Tell the man who sent you to me, 'This is what the Lord says: I am going to bring disaster on this place and its people, according to everything written in the book the king of Judah has read. Because they have forsaken me and burned incense to other gods and provoked me to anger by all the idols their hands have made, my anger will burn against this place and will not be quenched.' Tell the king of Judah, who sent you to inquire of the Lord, 'This is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says concerning the words you heard: Because your heart was responsive and you humbled yourself before the Lord when you heard what I have spoken against this place and its people, that they would become accursed and laid waste, and because you tore your robes and wept in my presence, I have heard you, declares the Lord. Therefore I will gather you to your fathers, and you will be buried in peace. Your eyes will not see all the disaster I am going to bring on this place.'" So they took her answer back to the king.

Pat: Tyre is not pronounced like "tear"...
And I did indeed mean (as you said further on) "tyre" as in "tire" (spelled the British way). I have a tyre for lunch, it puts some bounce in my step.

I do not wish to be one to judge you incorrectly, next time, stop me.
Well, this does happen a lot in these forums, so I generally just let it go, I'm not here to discuss me! Thanks for saying this, though, I appreciate that...

I already put some effort in doing this before, but you did not seem to agree at all...
It could be that I missed it, but I don't remember a post from Patman that addressed why "they" only refers to Neb and his army. And if we agreed we would not be discussing!

I ask you in your next reply to just give me 3 or 4 strong reasons that I might tell you to show you how it is an incorrect interpretation.
I'm not sure what you mean here, though, are you asking me to argue against my own point here? Well, Sauron (over at IIDB) did post a quote here (do a "find" for "Gregory S. Neal") from a Jewish writer on this, which I think was one of his stronger points, but I was still not convinced that this writer was correct, you may read the discussion on this, starting at this page, if you wish.

Lee: "Not built more," which is what a most literal translation (as I see it) would be here...

Pat: Lee, do you read Hebrew? Did you translate this yourself?
Yes, I do read some Hebrew, and this is my translation, along the lines of the UNASB, and Young's translation ("Thou art not built up any more") is similar to the one I am proposing, and Darby and Green's (both literal) translations are similar to the UNASB, and the UNASB is a translation that emphasizes accuracy, so I think I am not way off base here, in fact, all the literal translations sound a similar note, which I think is similar also to what I am trying to have for a reading in this verse.

God CAN make accurate predictions, but not through a crystal ball. How? By planning for them, setting events into motion, and by his understanding of the situation. This knowledge is not absolute at times.
But then he can't make accurate predictions! If they can possibly be wrong, which is just what you seem to be arguing for in the case of Tyre. We can't have it both ways, though it seems the Open View does attempt this.

Blessings,
Lee

patman

Bling

Bling

Bling, I hope I have made it clear that these views are my opinions. I want to say again that I have not studied in great detail this subject. I have my beliefs that I have formed over time, and they seem to make things line up for me.

A lot of the things I say are based on basic principals that we know about God.

Would you agree with these points?
1. God desires a relationship with every man.
2. God abhors sin and never wishes man to commit it, no matter what good may come.
3. God is wise, and not naive.

Using those points, I look at the garden story.

Did God create Adam knowing he would sin with 100% certainty? No. I site 2 for that reasoning.

Did God realize Adam might sin? Yes. I site 3 for that.

If God knew the possibility was still there that Adam would sin why did he create us? Because God desires a TRUE relationship with God. I site 1, keeping in mind a true relationship requires the other party volunteer to be in it, not be forced to.

My opinion of the Garden in light of the OV is my own. I do not say all OVers say the same thing, It is just me. Do not generalize and put on an entire group of people something I say because I am one of them. I tried to make it clear that this is the way I believe things.

I admit there is so much that I don't know. But when I do know something, I am not afraid to tell what it is when the time is right. In this post, I have made several claims to be accurate, and in our discussion, I have not. If you are looking for some answers, true answers, seek someone who has studied this. For now, I am content with the way I see things, as I do not see a problem with them.

I am interested in Bob Enyart's "The Tree" series, and one day may look into it. http://www.kgov.com/store/detail/audio/thetree.html

If you want an OVer's opinion on the Garden, perhaps you should look into that. I hear that Bob has really studied it, and I find in the past that he uses a wide range of scripture to form opinions. It might be worth looking into for you.

As for me, I know we have had communication problems in our past post. I have done my best to show you what I think. Sometimes I get a gut feeling we believe the same things, we just approach it differently.

No matter what, we must keep in mind that there is no way two people will ever agree 100% on EVERYTHING. When two brothers start to bunt heads to hard, perhaps the two of them should consider a different approach. Instead of talking to each other only, perhaps they should start talking to other christians.

I think we can understand a great deal about the garden. I think that we will come by it in reading and taking in an overview of the bible and various scriptures from all over it.

I do not know about your particular Bible, but mine has 1261 pages in it. It is regular print, put into two columns, each page is about 10 inches long by 6 wide. I believe to find the answer, one would have to read the entire thing again, and again, looking for things that point to the Garden. The answers may be in places we never thought of to look. I do not have that much time to satisfy doing research to this in the way you demand.

What I like to do is this: Read the bible and understand it. I will never understand everything, but the things I do understand give me joy. I find this understanding much easier to come by doing as those who hold to the OV say... by not reading anything into the scripture. If Scripture does not say God knows the future, Im not going to read that into it.

It helps to let the scripture form your ideas instead of you forming scripture to our own. I am not accusing you of doing that. I am only stating my objective.
bling said:
I keep saying it, God does not desire a lot of things to happen, but will allow them to happen if it can help humans to develop Godly type love. Look what all loving things comes into play, because of the sin that can not come into play without sin.
I am preaching again, sorry.
Bling, In many ways I agree. I thought I said that before, but I guess you still think I do not. God allows bad things to happen, to a point. God gives us the freedom to sin.

God allowed the same for Adam. God knew there was a possibility things might go wrong, this is why he planed the sacrifice before he made man. I do not know if we disagree with this?
bling said:
With or without foreknowledge a smart God would pre-assume the results that happened, I would have, you would have, anyone who thinks about the story would have, but that shows me a much more loving God that knows the cross will be needed, instead of one that hopes it won’t be needed, either way you have said God knew the cross will happen if not for all, then some. If some then why not all? If there is benefit for all, like forgiveness, the Spirit, see God’s sacrifice, being able to have needy others, personally feeling separation to value the closeness all the more, etc., then why not have everyone share in this?
We indeed have great gifts in grace. But we have a great curse in sin. God prefers obedience to sacrifice any day. This is why I think God did not plan ALL people to need the cross, but rather ALL sinners.

It happened that all of us are sinners. But I believe the future was open to Adam, and things did not have to go down the way they did. Perhaps He would have been among the few who didn't sin, perhaps he would be among the many who didn't fall. Perhaps it would have been even, half fallen, half not. I don't know, and It is impossible to know what might have been.

What I believe is that when God created man, he didn't know with certainty what would happen in regards to their sin. What he did know is that those who did sin would have a way to cover their sins in the blood of his son. This is very loving.

And with the future being open, God did not create man knowing he would sin, which would leave one to wonder as many of the people you talk to do.. Why? why do this to all of us for the good of a few? The answer is that he did this with hope that all would be good. It is truly our own fault.

patman

Lee

Lee

lee_merrill said:
It could be that I missed it, but I don't remember a post from Patman that addressed why "they" only refers to Neb and his army. And if we agreed we would not be discussing!
I think you will remember once I show you, It is in post 418
patman said:
Reguarding Nebuchadnezzar being the one to take Tyre:
lee_merrill said:
I have a different conclusion, though, about what this passage is saying, "many nations" need not mean only Neb. But we were discussing Egypt, I thought, not Tyre, again, let's not open lots of questions on lots of different fronts.
Ezekiel 26
7 "For this is what the Sovereign LORD says: From the north I am going to bring against Tyre Nebuchadnezzar [a] king of Babylon, king of kings, with horses and chariots, with horsemen and a great army. 8 He will ravage your settlements on the mainland with the sword; he will set up siege works against you, build a ramp up to your walls and raise his shields against you. 9 He will direct the blows of his battering rams against your walls and demolish your towers with his weapons. 10 His horses will be so many that they will cover you with dust. Your walls will tremble at the noise of the war horses, wagons and chariots when he enters your gates as men enter a city whose walls have been broken through. 11 The hoofs of his horses will trample all your streets; he will kill your people with the sword, and your strong pillars will fall to the ground. 12 They will plunder your wealth and loot your merchandise; they will break down your walls and demolish your fine houses and throw your stones, timber and rubble into the sea. 13 I will put an end to your noisy songs, and the music of your harps will be heard no more. 14 I will make you a bare rock, and you will become a place to spread fishnets. You will never be rebuilt, for I the LORD have spoken, declares the Sovereign LORD.

9 "This is what the Sovereign LORD says: When I make you a desolate city, like cities no longer inhabited, and when I bring the ocean depths over you and its vast waters cover you, 20 then I will bring you down with those who go down to the pit, to the people of long ago. I will make you dwell in the earth below, as in ancient ruins, with those who go down to the pit, and you will not return or take your place in the land of the living. 21 I will bring you to a horrible end and you will be no more. You will be sought, but you will never again be found, declares the Sovereign LORD."​
Lee, you seem to be having problems with grammar here. "They" requires an antecedent. That would refer to Nebuchadnezzar AND his army mentioned.

An antecedent is the noun to which the pronoun refers. I guess I have to give you an english lesson before you'll agree?

http://dictionary.reference.com/help/faq/language/a/antecedent.html

The Oxford American Dictionary States"
they |ð?| pronoun [ third person plural ] 1 used to refer to two or more people or things previously mentioned or easily identified : the two men could get life sentences if they are convicted.

They = his army of horses
his=Nebuchadnezzar

lee_merrill said:
I still do hold that the prophecy of Egypt being conquered by Neb does not mean this had to happen to Pharaoh Necho, your point is not conclusive, that is all I am saying. We only know that Neb had to conquer Egypt at some time, and a statement that he had such and such amount of land does not mean he never had more than that, before or afterwards, nor does it mean that Neb would have added any country he conquered to his kingdom. We just don't know enough to claim a proof, which is what you are doing here, if I may say so.
Lee, you obviously didn't read, OR comprehend my last post. We know plenty.

Jeremiah 46
1 The word of the LORD which came to Jeremiah the prophet against the nations. 2 Against Egypt.
Concerning the army of Pharaoh Necho, king of Egypt, which was by the River Euphrates in Carchemish, and which Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon defeated in the fourth year of Jehoiakim the son of Josiah, king of Judah:

19 O you daughter dwelling in Egypt,
Prepare yourself to go into captivity!
For Noph shall be waste and desolate, without inhabitant.

25 The LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, says: “Behold, I will bring punishment on Amon[c] of No,[d] and Pharaoh and Egypt, with their gods and their kings—Pharaoh and those who trust in him. 26 And I will deliver them into the hand of those who seek their lives, into the hand of Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon and the hand of his servants. Afterward it shall be inhabited as in the days of old,” says the LORD.

Necho's gonna get it!!!!!!!!!!!! Captivity!!!!!! And it has always been the plan that they get 40 years of it!
lee_merrill said:
That is a weak God, and I do need a stronger one.
I'd watch what you say Lee, especially considering how you are not reading/comprehending well.
lee_merrill said:
Well, no, I hold that Neb was not prophesied to be the one to destroy Tyre, "many nations" were said to do that, and the Bible doesn't refer to "the nations of Babylon," thus Babylon is only one nation, and thus more nations were meant. And it did happen, Tyre was "ruins built out of ruins," according to the eyewitness account of Renan the archaeologist ("Tyre through the Ages," Jidegian, p. 22), or Henry Maundrell calling the site "a mere Babel of broken walls, pillars, vaults" in 1697 (p.21).
Jeremiah 27
1 Early in the reign of Zedekiah [a] son of Josiah king of Judah, this word came to Jeremiah from the LORD : 2 This is what the LORD said to me: "Make a yoke out of straps and crossbars and put it on your neck. 3 Then send word to the kings of Edom, Moab, Ammon, Tyre and Sidon through the envoys who have come to Jerusalem to Zedekiah king of Judah. 4 Give them a message for their masters and say, 'This is what the LORD Almighty, the God of Israel, says: "Tell this to your masters: 5 With my great power and outstretched arm I made the earth and its people and the animals that are on it, and I give it to anyone I please. 6 Now I will hand all your countries over to my servant Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon; I will make even the wild animals subject to him. 7 All nations will serve him and his son and his grandson until the time for his land comes; then many nations and great kings will subjugate him.​
Lee, check out what Tyre looks like today.

http://www.middleeast.com/tyre.htm

Doesn't exactly look utterly destroyed does it? It dosen't remind me of a "smooth rock" at all, it looks like a rock with buildings sticking out of it.

I bolded all the things in Ezekiel 26 that refer to Nebuchadnezzar back then. The path of pronouns clearly leads back to Nebuchadnezzar.

There's a lot more stuff in there. You don't have to address it all again, but I left it in there to show the numerous times Nebuchadnezzar was said to be the one to do this. Even if by some whem "They" refers someone else, this does not address the problem of the "never to be inhabited" mode these verses make. because obviously it has been.

You take the chapter of Ezekiel 26 and make it read the way you want it to, in order to make it fit into history. I know you do this to make it appear that God was right, but God said these words and did not make them cryptic.

In general I think it best to not cut this passage up at all.
lee_merrill said:
But then he can't make accurate predictions! If they can possibly be wrong, which is just what you seem to be arguing for in the case of Tyre. We can't have it both ways, though it seems the Open View does attempt this.

Yeah we can. God at times can be right about his future predictions because he is smart. But at times he cannot because we as freewill agents are unpredictable in many ways. We are not utterly unpredictable, but enough that God is not able to predict everything.

Take Tyre. Will they repent? Yes or no? God is probably think "no way, they are a stiff necked people and they will fight Nebuchadnezzar," and after 13 years of being right, suddenly they give up! They repented. So God honors that any nation who bows to Neb will not utterly be destroyed, and changes his mind about the utter destruction of Tyre by Neb's hand.

RobE seems to think that Tyre was destroyed by Alexander was possibly in the spirit of Ezekiel 26, but not in total fulfillment. But mostly. I agree with him that Tyre was utterly destroyed by him, but not to the tune of forever. It soon bounced back. And this is just one way to show that this is not a 100% fulfillment of the original words, although I do not think it possible to show that God did it one way or the other. We just may not know until we get to heaven.

Anyway, yeah - God can accurately predict some things, and not others. It just depends. Like RobE said, it would be silly to think he can't ever predict anything rightly at any time, ever. Even I predicted you would tell me how you meant for "Tyre" to be pronounced, and I was right.

If I can do that, God can do it better! And future knowledge is not required to do it.
lee_merrill said:
Yes, I do read some Hebrew, and this is my translation, along the lines of the UNASB, and Young's translation ("Thou art not built up any more") is similar to the one I am proposing, and Darby and Green's (both literal) translations are similar to the UNASB, and the UNASB is a translation that emphasizes accuracy, so I think I am not way off base here, in fact, all the literal translations sound a similar note, which I think is similar also to what I am trying to have for a reading in this verse.

Lee this is a great gift. I would find it very beneficial to read Hebrew. I am in no place to say you translated this incorrectly because..... I speak english and some latin.. and even a little pig-latin. Hey, everything counts.

Now all I can do is to find someone who can read hebrew to debate you on this issue. I do not know that I will. So for now, you can have that point. I am not admitting you are right, and I still believe the 6 other translations accurately put the words in a way that we would understand them.

I still think that "never be rebuilt" is correct.

I know from my studies in latin that you cannot simply translate a few words into english and expect to get the right meaning every time. Latin is a language that is very complex in its addressing of Subjects, plurals, tense, direct objects, verbs and adverbs and making them all fit together.

In english, word order is important. Latin this is not always true, because word order comes second to word endings. If I took an entire sentence and just translated a few words, it would be very difficult.

Is hebrew not similar? Would it not be better to translate the entire chapter instead of just the one part? I do not know, and do not mean to imply i am right here. All i know about the language itself is it is "similar to spanish." And that's hear-say.

So anyway, I am not qualified to refute you right now, so I will stop talking about it until I can. I have plenty of other verse that show the permeant destruction of Tyre, and do not need to rely on this one verse. I hope you address those now.

I'll be looking for your reply.
-Patman

Last edited:

patman

RobE.

RobE.

RobE said:
Our disagreement comes in the form of Absolute Foreknowledge .vs Foreordination. I'm not sure you see a difference in these.
Ya know... You have beaten this into me, and I think you are right... I believe that foreknowledge to me does lead to foreordination to some degree.

Not that foreordination was the intent, it is almost inescapable.

I know you think that because God gave us the cross as well as knew that sin would happen with 100% surety, this frees him form the responsibility of initiating the program that would without doubt sin.

The problem I have are the other "what ifs." What if he was powerful enough to create man and a program that could not sin. I think he would prefer that. What if he created a program that was all sin. what about half and half? what about a little more and a little less?

Any way I think about it, God would use his foreknowledge to create us in a way pleasing to him on a program that would be the best. Any way you cut it though, it is still a program. This nearly elements free will.

And in that, some people will without doubt go places as if there were predestined. This just does not seem the be the message of the Bible. Whether or not you find a way to somehow make God not responsible(which in this situation i do not see how that is possible), predestination is still the result.

That's just how I see it. It makes so much sense to me. And this is just What Ifs anyway. The Bible tells us we are responsible for our sins, and it illustrates the openness of our future. I do not believe we need to be concerned with the what ifs very much.
RobE said:
I would say our future is open to change. Where we were dead we now live in Christ.
That's great. Would you consider yourself an OVer in some respects? Trust me, I am not the mold for OVer's. At times I am not the mold for christians even. But I am both. You do not have to agree with everything I say to be an OVer in a few respects.
RobE said:
He wants them ALL.
Agreed. I wish him them all. I would love to see God's joy in getting us back.
RobE said:
I believe the scripture in Jeremiah stands on this issue. Yes, God said He would utterly destroy Tyre and said He wouldn't utterly destroy any nation that subjegated themselves to Neb. It appears Tyre dodged a bullet. However, I think when Alexander destroyed it; He destroyed it just like the scripture says Neb. would. I find this interesting. You can see His hand in it then.

Wikipedia says Alexander destroyed half the city and killed or enslaved the entire population. I would agree it's not exact, but not one soul in Tyre was spared by Alexander. This would seem to be utterly destroyed by my definition, but it was rebuilt though.
Alexanders Taking of tyre was in the spirit of the doom God promised them in Ezekiel. It is possible God would go at it again, but we just don't know for sure. Without more information, I cannot say I absolutely agree God's hand was in Tyre's utter destruction, but I cannot say it was not either. It's interesting to think about tho...

For me, it's one of those times that "I don't know" is fine. In the end we are saved anyway.

God Bless, RobE.
-Pat

RobE

patman said:
Ya know... You have beaten this into me, and I think you are right... I believe that foreknowledge to me does lead to foreordination to some degree.

Not that foreordination was the intent, it is almost inescapable.

I agree it is inescapable, but culpability comes with intent.

Patman said:
I know you think that because God gave us the cross as well as knew that sin would happen with 100% surety, this frees him form the responsibility of initiating the program that would without doubt sin.

Why would this be a desired outcome for God? Bling did a great job talking about 'Real' love and His desire to develop this in us. Also, I appreciate the fact He initiated a 'program' in which I, personally, have a chance at life.

Patman said:
The problem I have are the other "what ifs." What if he was powerful enough to create man and a program that could not sin. I think he would prefer that. What if he created a program that was all sin. what about half and half? what about a little more and a little less?

Any way I think about it, God would use his foreknowledge to create us in a way pleasing to him on a program that would be the best. Any way you cut it though, it is still a program. This nearly elements free will.

It's exactly this program that creates free will. Without the opportunity to sin there is NO free will. Do you see the problem? We've spoken about robots in the past. The Lord could have established a sinless program, but that program wouldn't allow for free will. Adam's sin wasn't eating the fruit(which you pointed out before----IT WAS MAKING THE FREE WILL CHOICE to disobey God!!!

Patman said:
And in that, some people will without doubt go places as if there were predestined. This just does not seem the be the message of the Bible. Whether or not you find a way to somehow make God not responsible(which in this situation i do not see how that is possible), predestination is still the result.

Predestination is the result looking backwards from the elect's point of view. For instance, looking back you could say God chose me to be with Him in heaven after you're there. But you could not say God chose me to be in Hell after you're there because He wants all to be saved. This seems like double talk, but isn't. I'm saying all are elect by Him, but their free will choice can change the outcome He desires.

Patman said:
That's just how I see it. It makes so much sense to me. And this is just What Ifs anyway. The Bible tells us we are responsible for our sins, and it illustrates the openness of our future. I do not believe we need to be concerned with the what ifs very much.

The bible also shows fulfilled prophecy. In order to prove foresight we only need find one instance where He foretold something that can't be explained any way else. I believe there are several scriptures that show this. Psalm 22 for instance.

Patman said:
That's great. Would you consider yourself an OVer in some respects? Trust me, I am not the mold for OVer's. At times I am not the mold for christians even. But I am both. You do not have to agree with everything I say to be an OVer in a few respects.

Yes, Open Theism and I have some points in common. Death and Life for humans is decided to some extent by free will. God can do anything He wishes including changing our future.

Your Friend,

Rob

lee_merrill

Hi Pat,

Pat: I bolded all the things in Ezekiel 26 that refer to Nebuchadnezzar back then. The path of pronouns clearly leads back to Nebuchadnezzar.
Sorry, I had forgotten about this exchange. I think I went on to say there is a pronoun "I" here, too, which must mean God!

Ezekiel 26:13 I will put an end to your noisy songs, and the music of your harps will be heard no more.

So we can't just say all the pronouns mean Nebuchadnezzar, for clearly, they don't all mean him. So simply checking antecedents will not do, for example, I gave this example to Sauron:

"I saw three men go into the store where they met two Marines, and then they went to their car and drove away."

Who did? The Marines?

No, the three men.

And to make your case, you will need to show how Babylon is meant by "many nations" (Eze. 26:3), but the Bible (as far as I can tell) only refers to "the nation of Babylon," not "the nations of Babylon."

Lee: But then he can't make accurate predictions! If they can possibly be wrong...

Pat: Yeah we can. God at times can be right about his future predictions because he is smart.
Well, I can be right! Just as you said, anyone can be right, but being right doesn't mean we make accurate predictions, if accuracy means complete reliability. If a prediction can fail, it is not completely reliable, and then we can't completely trust God's predictions, they may be wrong. Yet this is contrary to Scripture.

Isaiah 49:23 ... those who hope in me will not be disappointed.

Romans 10:11 As the Scripture says, "Anyone who trusts in him will never be put to shame."

Never! Not "will usually not be disappointed."

I agree with him that Tyre was utterly destroyed by [Alexander], but not to the tune of forever.
I agree too, that is my view as well, which I think fits the prophecy here.

Blessings,
Lee

bling

Patman asked:
Would you agree with these points?
1. God desires a relationship with every man.
2. God abhors sin and never wishes man to commit it, no matter what good may come.
3. God is wise, and not naive.
1. I have said many times relationships can be worthless or all consuming and everywhere in between, so to say God desires a relationship that is meaningless unless defined. God can have a very warm and wonderful relationship with some pet animal He has made. God desires a godly type loving relationship with humans. This means an all consuming commitment of all the feelings, emotions, energy, time, decisions and thoughts. We know God is keeping up His part of this loving relationship, because He went to the point of allowing His son to go to the cross. The ball is in our court we have to respond with the Godly type love. All other loves are nice, but not what God is fully desiring and commanded of us. Do you find God just desiring any old type relationship with humans?
2. God hates sin, but He really abhors unforgiven sin, forgiven sin is like it never happened for God, because some how He forgets it. God does allow stuff He does not desire to actually happen such as Christ going to the cross and Satan being around on earth, because of the good (the Godly love) that can come from these things. If there was any other way He would not have allowed it, but His love is great enough to quench His desires. Sin falls into that same group as the cross and Satan.
3. God is more the smart or wise like we are wise, He desires us to 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'
God loves us that way, His love has our best interest in mind and since he is going all out for us (including the cross) we should at least desire to go all out for Him. He has done everything the best it can be done for us, which is part of His loving nature.
If I see things as naïve of God, it is I who lack wisdom not Him. He does thing right the first time (this does not require foreknowledge.)

Patman said:
My opinion of the Garden in light of the OV is my own. I do not say all OVers say the same thing, It is just me. Do not generalize and put on an entire group of people something I say because I am one of them. I tried to make it clear that this is the way I believe things.
What I have found, is reasonable Godly people that agree on the assumptions can logically come to agreement on the topic. I have been trying to hammer out the assumptions which we disagree on.

Patman asked:
I am interested in Bob Enyart's "The Tree" series, and one day may look into it. http://www.kgov.com/store/detail/audio/thetree.html

If you want an OVer's opinion on the Garden, perhaps you should look into that. I hear that Bob has really studied it, and I find in the past that he uses a wide range of scripture to form opinions. It might be worth looking into for you.
If you want we can both get the book and discuss it. I generally have a problem with all books outside the Bible, because I read very slowly and think about what was said to the point I am constantly wanting to know how they came to their conclusions and why they did not consider option X. I need feed back. I told you early on that I started to discuss this with Bob Enyart as a result of a few comments he made. I personally feel he could understand the path I was going down and from his earlier answer this was going to be new ground for him, he quit answering when it was just getting interesting when the path would conflict with his conclusions. I hope I did not run him off of all TOL treads.
I think Bob Enyart would have run into the same issues you have. I do not think his book will address my questions, but I have not read it.

Patman said:
No matter what, we must keep in mind that there is no way two people will ever agree 100% on EVERYTHING. When two brothers start to bunt heads to hard, perhaps the two of them should consider a different approach. Instead of talking to each other only, perhaps they should start talking to other christians.
It is the Lord’s pray, John 17: 21that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me.
I maybe way overly optimistic, But I think Jesus prayed for something that is achievable. We really underestimate the power of the Spirit, and can not see beyond our humanness. As long as we rely on ourselves and not be Spirit led. (This is a totally different subject.)
Patman suggested:
I think we can understand a great deal about the garden. I think that we will come by it in reading and taking in an overview of the bible and various scriptures from all over it. (And)
It helps to let the scripture form your ideas instead of you forming scripture to our own. I am not accusing you of doing that. I am only stating my objective.
Does that go for making assumptions?

Patman asked:
God allowed the same for Adam. God knew there was a possibility things might go wrong, this is why he planed the sacrifice before he made man. I do not know if we disagree with this?

See below

Patman said:
We indeed have great gifts in grace. But we have a great curse in sin. God prefers obedience to sacrifice any day. This is why I think God did not plan ALL people to need the cross, but rather ALL sinners.
“Prefers obedience to sacrifice any day”, I think this scripture is being taken out of context. Adam is not offering God any sacrifices. God will make the sacrifice and a result of Adam’s disobedience. The sacrifices King Saul wanted to make would have displeased God. Obedience to God is the result of loving God, while sacrifices are used to appease God’s Wrath or fulfill some rule.

Patman said:
It happened that all of us are sinners. But I believe the future was open to Adam, and things did not have to go down the way they did. Perhaps He would have been among the few who didn't sin, perhaps he would be among the many who didn't fall. Perhaps it would have been even, half fallen, half not. I don't know, and It is impossible to know what might have been.

What I believe is that when God created man, he didn't know with certainty what would happen in regards to their sin. What he did know is that those who did sin would have a way to cover their sins in the blood of his son. This is very loving.
I have some hurdles with the God you are presenting to me:
1. He seems to not understand ecology very will, if this Garden is to potentially to support a large number of people for a long time, it is not ecologically balanced, will require constant monitoring and continuous changing. It appears to be a set up for a very few people for a short period of time.
2. He does understand probability, if you have even a small possibility of a negative out come but repeat the circumstance an infinite number of times (eternally) you will eventually get a negative reaction. Adam and Eve will eventually sin.
3. He does not understand coveting, if you present a convenient and attractive item to people that is desirable and do not give them the indwelling Spirit to help them control that desire, the people will start to covet. Coveting takes place in the mind and humans can not control their thoughts all the time. It is an extremely difficult frustrating situation for humans.
4. He does not understand Godly love. People are not born with Godly love and can’t be programmed with it. It will have to be developed and the Garden does not provide the means for that development.
5. He does not understand people. Giving people everything they would need and want does not automatically produce Godly love. People can be your close friend, love you like a father, and feel very indebted to you, but that will not keep them from have a little selfishness.
6. He does not understand Satan. Satan is much more powerful then humans, he is the trickster and can play on human selfishness with lies to get them to do what they really do not want to do.
7. He does not understand sin. People get caught up in sin with Satan’s help without thinking about all the consequences. For humans not to sin takes a lot more then humans have. Every mature human will sin and He does not realize that.
8. He does not realize that humans will be better off outside the Garden after they do sin, then inside the Garden having to keep from sinning.

Patman said:
And with the future being open, God did not create man knowing he would sin, which would leave one to wonder as many of the people you talk to do.. Why? why do this to all of us for the good of a few? The answer is that he did this with hope that all would be good. It is truly our own fault.
This brings to mine a whole new set of issues:
People and maybe yourself, blame Adam and Eve for their being in this ugly world and not in a garden situation. Why did God not remove from the minds of the following generations this knowledge of good and evil and allow them to start in the Garden? Why did I not have my opportunity? Why should I not blame Adam and Eve?

patman

One Second

One Second

I am going to need more than that tho. I will be back soon to answer everyone's posts.

Bling, I will begin research on the Garden so that I do not feel that I am miss leading in my comments. What I have stated so far is all I got. For now, I simply ask you go back and re-read my posts to make sure you understand why I can still worship the most powerful and wise God worthy of praise. The OV does glorifies God.

Lee, There's lots to talk about with the grammar thing. You kinda proved my point with the antecedent/pronoun thing with your sentence showing how it works. I hope you use the same logic to see how Nebuchadnezzar was the man for the job originally.

RobE, thank you for your comments. I always read and think about what you say. I will continue to do so. I do have a problem with 100% foreknowledge and the existence of freewill.... we'll get on to that more when I get the time to post.

To everyone, I wish to say God Bless. I shall reply by the weekend or mid week next week. Right now I am busy with a freelance project that is eating my all my free time. I didn't want anyone to think I forgot about you. Especially bling :) I won't chicken out on ya.

-PatMan

patman

bling

bling

Bling, sorry this took so long to answer. I have been covered in work.

I have thought about a lot of some of the things you are saying. A lot of your ideas are based on scripture, which is good. But let not that deceive you, or me, into thinking we are right because we have a good base for our foundation.

Please allow me to write what I believe your thinking is, correct me if I am wrong: The object of the garden was to establish agape love. With that being said, what is the best way to show agape love? By having a world that puts people in need, such that they have the best understanding of love. This idea can be derived from the verse that says "he who is forgiven much loves much." among others.

If this sums it up, please allow me to add some more statements to that. If the object of the garden was for good, the bad that came from it is worth while. This frees God from any part played in the situation. Do you agree with these points? Is that how you try to explain the Garden to your agnostic friends if so?

I have said all along that Agape love is achievable without a fall. Had Adam never ate of the tree, agape love could still be enjoyed by God and Man alike. I also questioned a while back why Agape love is the one and only love desired by God and the only love possible as the objective to the garden. Why are other loves just ignored? After all, a relationship is built on many types of loves. Also, agape love requires no relationship to be given or received.

Lets say I have an important meeting to get to. If I miss it, I will get fired. But on my way I see a stranger drowning in a pool, what would I do?? I would gladly throw him a life-saver. I love him enough to do that, selfless of my needs. He would grab on, I would pull him in, he would say, "Thanks," and I would answer, "No Problem," and that would be the extent of it. I may never see him again. No relationship was required for that act of love. However, if that man were my son, there would me more kinds of love involved, and a relationship would be a part of the act.

A relationship with God is far greater than just agape love. God can agape love me all day long, but so what if he never gets to talk to me? If the objective were only agape love, God was selling himself short, and us also.

Don't get me wrong, Agape love is necessary. But it is a part of the bigger picture. The overall goal of God's creation of man was not primarily Agape love. God desires relationship. And in that relationship all kinds of love are felt and exchanged, including agape.

So what do I think? I think the objective of the garden was to provide man a place to develop his relationship with God. Be it an extremely close relationship, or one less close than others, it was man's choice.

God is so loving in his relationship to man, that he does not trap man, but provides a way out should man want out. And that is where the tree comes in.

I hope you can understand my one huge problem with the settled view, and that is that - God foresaw the evil his creation became and did it anyway. According to the reasioning behind your view on the garden, you reason it away with "it was for the best" because "it was for agape love." So God lovingly created us to rebel against him, such that all man on earth would be destroyed by a flood say for 4 and their families, and then countless millions to follow.

When people ask the questions of the Garden, they look at their own lives, and lives of those they hold close to them. They feel the effects of the garden to this day, and question God because they think he looked ahead to their lives, knew everything that would happen, all the bad things, and didn't care, and said "let's create this anyway."

You had some problems with my ideas. I hope to show you that many of our problems are not real because they lack being fully thought and rely on misunderstandings:

1. He seems to not understand ecology very will, if this Garden is to potentially to support a large number of people for a long time, it is not ecologically balanced, will require constant monitoring and continuous changing. It appears to be a set up for a very few people for a short period of time.

You assume the Garden was small. There is no way to know how big it was. As I said, people would eventually outgrow it, and In my thinking, this is the functionality of the tree. Those who were ready could eat of it and receive wisdom for when they leave. Also, the Garden is alive. Why is it unable to grow and populate the earth as people are? Are the garden's trees seedless? There is too much to consider that I think you should. If man never fell, is God unable to make a place for his children if the garden is too small? What if man populated to 900 trillion and never fell? Is God unable to create a new earth, or make the existing one bigger?

2. He does understand probability, if you have even a small possibility of a negative out come but repeat the circumstance an infinite number of times (eternally) you will eventually get a negative reaction. Adam and Eve will eventually sin.

If a drug pusher carries a gun everyday, is he guaranteed to shoot it? If a severe diabetic goes out to eat everyday is he guaranteed to order coke? It is impossible to answer because you know that there are drug pushers out there who do not kill, and there are diabetics out there who drink only diet coke. So odds are, either can happen. The point is that there is no guarantee. Adam and Eve were not destined to sin, that has been my understanding and belief from long before I was an open viewer. If all I had to do was not eat a tree's fruit to stay in good with God, I do not think it would have been a problem. I say that for many people I know, including you.

You can't tell me you can't pass up one tree? When you know that it will kill you? And when you know you will leave God in your death? No more eden, no more Eve no more God.... Can you really say you would still eat?

Adam's evil was great the day he ate that fruit. More evil than anyone I ever heard of. It was a simple command, and look what he caused. And even then, God loved him enough to give him clothes! And he showed him how to deliver babies. He was taking care of him until he was ready to go it alone.

Adam may have not realized what he did fully, but he knew his actions would bring death, and he did it the same. The death count of Hitler's actions has nothing on Adam's actions. And we are so harsh on Hitler... Adam's sin was worst. And God was fair, Adam could resist the tree for a zillion times had he not desired his own wisdom instead of Gods... But Adams desires made him evil.

You are confusing opportunity for desire. Just because the opportunity is there one can not assume that someone will take it, even if that opportunity is there every day.

3. He does not understand coveting, if you present a convenient and attractive item to people that is desirable and do not give them the indwelling Spirit to help them control that desire, the people will start to covet. Coveting takes place in the mind and humans can not control their thoughts all the time. It is an extremely difficult frustrating situation for humans.

It is only in the last 2000 years that God has sent the spirit to dwell in us. He was with people before then, but not like now. We in the body have a special gift, but those who were before did not have this Gift like we do.

So for a good 4000 years, people who covet were out of control because God's spirit was not poured out until Pentecost?

You are right to study the cross and apply it to your life. But you are mistaken if you try to apply that law to the lives of those who lived before it. They were under a different law. They did not have the spirit living in them as we do. While it is true that Jesus' death did save them, they were not under grace, they were under the law. And before the law was written, they were under the laws of their hearts, which came from the tree. You cannot say that God was not understanding of coveting, or any other sin.

This is not an open view topic. Law and Grace are explained very well in the Bible. You should know how it works. So why say this of God?

4. He does not understand Godly love. People are not born with Godly love and can’t be programmed with it. It will have to be developed and the Garden does not provide the means for that development.

You again narrow God's love to agape love only, and limit the relationship aspect. The Garden was obviously a perfect sinless place. You make it sound like it was created to be broken so that a few people might have "godly love". I saw it was created to be sustained forever! That everyone might know God and experience a relationship that includes many types of love. The fact that Adam broke it has nothing to do with God or his understanding of the situation when God did not foresee it happening. And the fact that God planned for the "just in case" shows how much God did understand.

5. He does not understand people. Giving people everything they would need and want does not automatically produce Godly love. People can be your close friend, love you like a father, and feel very indebted to you, but that will not keep them from have a little selfishness.

God never spoiled man. God only provided their food and shelter. Man should have felt indebted because it is only right, had man not felt so, he would have been unappreciative. That is not the point tho... So what, God does everything good for man. Now it's man's turn, and that is the reason... will man love God or not?

6. He does not understand Satan. Satan is much more powerful then humans, he is the trickster and can play on human selfishness with lies to get them to do what they really do not want to do.

Satan did not threaten man to eat. God understood Satan very well, and the limitations he had. He could not force them to eat, he could not make the decision for them. He could only confuse the issue. And if you think Adam wasn't smart enough to discern between the words of a Snake and the words of his creator, you are mistaken. Adam's responsibility was fully his own. I think it is you who over estimate Satan, and our ability to resist evil.

7. He does not understand sin. People get caught up in sin with Satan’s help without thinking about all the consequences. For humans not to sin takes a lot more then humans have. Every mature human will sin and He does not realize that.

God understands sin and man's tendency, that is why he only holds man accountable for those actions he knowingly does wrong, and more of the reason why there is grace in the love God has for us. It is the same answer you would give me.

8. He does not realize that humans will be better off outside the Garden after they do sin, then inside the Garden having to keep from sinning.

Bling, may you never fully understand what you are saying, that we are better off today than we would be if we were with God in the Garden.

You, yourself, said the garden is like heaven to you. It is a place we will one day go for piece. No more sin, no more hurt, no more death. A wonderful place. When I get there I will look for you. And I will offer you this: If you really think we are better off after the fall, then leave heaven, go back in time and live on earth. I don't think you'll do it.

You are right too. The Garden is like Heaven will be one day. It is like Earth will be one day too. But it is not like heaven and earth are today. For there is pain in both heaven and earth because of this great and wonderful giving in to sin you seem to endorsee.

I say 1 year in the garden and of resisting sin is billions of times better off than what we have today. You do not see the sins that happen, the rapes, the killings, the beatings, the hurtful words, the betrayal and all that other sin. You think this is better of?

I say we had Grace in the garden and out of the garden. You say it is only out of the garden that we have it.

I say God holds us accountable to sins we knowingly commit. This is why it is the tree that represented the one chance, the one sin, to let us out of that heaven on earth we had.

bling, may you never have to see the hardships that you seem to think make us better off. You will never stop your eyes from being wet if you do. But if you did see them, you would never again say we are better off.

This is hell on earth. No Garden means hell on earth, bling. I do not understand how you justify this.

When we actually have Heaven on earth again, I hope you do not say we were better off before.

Think about all the baby's who are aborted every day. Millions of people who never had the chance to experience Sin on earth. Never had the opportunity to receive the indwelling because they went straight to heaven. According to you, they are cursed for not having the opportunity to sin in the flesh. They don't get agape love in heaven. How do you explain their ability to love god and to remain in heaven with him forever?

Bling, your views are based in scripture, but not to the means you take them. You are building your own rooms in the house that are not a part of Gods plan, you do so thinking you are right because you got the idea from God's plans, but they are still your own.

You should know that doing evil that good may come of it is still doing evil. And you should know that God shuns sin, and does not plan sin. He cannot tempt. He cannot create sin. He cannot make us to be sinners. He cannot look ahead knowing what we will do and create that anyway.

Alarms should be going off in your heart when you think that God would create us knowing we would sin. They should sound above the roaring of the sun's fires that God would have anything to do with sin and planning it into our discovery of love.

I beg you to reconsider that my ideas are not problematic because you cannot account for the solutions. And I beg you to reconsider if your ideas are as I said above.

patman

Lee

Lee

lee_merrill said:
So we can't just say all the pronouns mean Nebuchadnezzar, for clearly, they don't all mean him. So simply checking antecedents will not do, for example, I gave this example to Sauron:

"I saw three men go into the store where they met two Marines, and then they went to their car and drove away."

Who did? The Marines?

No, the three men.
Lee, Sorry this took so long.

Your sentence proves my point. The pronoun can only be applied to the first noun to which it refereed. Your sentence introduces an initial noun "men." There were 3 of them, but 3 is only an adjective. Later we find out there is a new noun, "marines." The last clause says "they drove away" who is they? To answer you must ask "who were 'they' the first time?" The answer is "the men."

What if we get fancy and brake the sentence up into two?

"I saw three men go into the store where they met two Marines. Then they went to their car and drove away."

Who are "they?" Again they refers to the three men.

Why? Because it is confusing if you let your pronouns fly everywhere.

"I saw three men go into the store where they met two Marines. They said to them how are you, we are just in for the week. After they talked some more they went to their car and drove away."

Who on earth is they now? I intended for they to be "the marines" because they were only there for the week. But you couldn't tell that. Thus, if I wanted to change "they" to mean the marines, I would have to do so like this.

"I saw three men go into the store where they met two Marines. The Marines said " we are just in for the week." After they said this and talked a little more the tree men went to their car and drove away."

Now they refers to the 2 Marines because they were the ones who were talking. Note I had to specify in the last sentence who drove away because it was not clear the 3 men did because there was a change.

Now for Ezekiel 26 AGAIN (here we goooo again)

7 “For thus says the Lord GOD: ‘Behold, I will bring against Tyre from the north Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon, king of kings, with horses, with chariots, and with horsemen, and an army with many people. 8 He will slay with the sword your daughter villages in the fields; he will heap up a siege mound against you, build a wall against you, and raise a defense against you. 9 He will direct his battering rams against your walls, and with his axes he will break down your towers. 10 Because of the abundance of his horses, their dust will cover you; your walls will shake at the noise of the horsemen, the wagons, and the chariots, when he enters your gates, as men enter a city that has been breached. 11 With the hooves of his horses he will trample all your streets; he will slay your people by the sword, and your strong pillars will fall to the ground. 12 They will plunder your riches and pillage your merchandise; they will break down your walls and destroy your pleasant houses; they will lay your stones, your timber, and your soil in the midst of the water. 13 I will put an end to the sound of your songs, and the sound of your harps shall be heard no more. 14 I will make you like the top of a rock; you shall be a place for spreading nets, and you shall never be rebuilt, for I the LORD have spoken,’ says the Lord GOD.
15 “Thus says the Lord GOD to Tyre: ‘Will the coastlands not shake at the sound of your fall, when the wounded cry, when slaughter is made in the midst of you? 16 Then all the princes of the sea will come down from their thrones, lay aside their robes, and take off their embroidered garments; they will clothe themselves with trembling; they will sit on the ground, tremble every moment, and be astonished at you.

God tells of all the things "he" will do, then he changes the antecedents by referring to the army of Nebuchadnezzar. We know it is Nebuchadnezzar's army because it says "his" army.

The reading of the words are, as stated again, obvious. The only way you can say it means otherwise is by reading out of it something it does not say.

You wish for "they" to refer to Alexander because Alexander did something simular, but as I try to point out, and as many agree, Alexander did not do everything this prophecy says, and Alexander is never mentioned. Your asserting his name as the one to fulfill this is very bold, for one thing, and simply wrong for many reasons. The antecedents refer to Nebuchadnezzar is the most important and obvious reason. Also Alexander did not bring an utter and eternal end as depicted by Ezekiel 26

19 “For thus says the Lord GOD: ‘When I make you a desolate city, like cities that are not inhabited, when I bring the deep upon you, and great waters cover you, 20 then I will bring you down with those who descend into the Pit, to the people of old, and I will make you dwell in the lowest part of the earth, in places desolate from antiquity, with those who go down to the Pit, so that you may never be inhabited; and I shall establish glory in the land of the living. 21 I will make you a terror, and you shall be no more; though you are sought for, you will never be found again,’ says the Lord GOD.”

Alexander's capture of Tyre was only temporary.

Also, Tyre did submit to Babylon.

Jeremiah 27:11
11 But if any nation will bow its neck under the yoke of the king of Babylon and serve him, I will let that nation remain in its own land to till it and to live there, declares the LORD.

So what of that? Tyre was still destroyed by Alexander even though they did bow their necks to Babylon?

Lee, I hope you can see the only answer is that God can change. And when God changes in these ways, it dramatically shows that God does not know all 100% of the future as you think.

Lee, the Open View does not limit God. God can know somethings about the future, we would be fools to say he can't know what can be figured out or that he cant know what he can make happen because these are in the future. The open view sees the logical and obvious truth in what God knows.

We do not throw attributes on him because it makes him seem powerful. We instead preach his truth, if anyone does not like the truth, it is their own problem, not ours, nor God's. We do not feel it necessary to cling to an attribute that makes God look to be a sinner or uncaring as the Settled View does for many people, just ask the people Bling talks to, those agnostics who can't make since out of the Settled View of God still being loving.

I wrote those last two paragraphs as a pitch for you. I hope they make you think about changing your mind, and give you reason to shed those old beliefs that your conscience may now let you for reasons that are not valid.

RobE

patman said:
Lee, Sorry this took so long.

So what of that? Tyre was still destroyed by Alexander even though they did bow their necks to Babylon?

Lee, I hope you can see the only answer is that God can change. And when God changes in these ways, it dramatically shows that God does not know all 100% of the future as you think.

Lee, the Open View does not limit God. God can know somethings about the future, we would be fools to say he can't know what can be figured out or that he cant know what he can make happen because these are in the future. The open view sees the logical and obvious truth in what God knows.

We do not throw attributes on him because it makes him seem powerful. We instead preach his truth, if anyone does not like the truth, it is their own problem, not ours, nor God's. We do not feel it necessary to cling to an attribute that makes God look to be a sinner or uncaring as the Settled View does for many people, just ask the people Bling talks to, those agnostics who can't make since out of the Settled View of God still being loving.

I wrote those last two paragraphs as a pitch for you. I hope they make you think about changing your mind, and give you reason to shed those old beliefs that your conscience may now let you for reasons that are not valid.

I just wanted to comment that Patman conceded the point that changing your mind doesn't change you, personally. Also, I was wondering where you are coming from, Lee.

Do you believe in simple foresight? Or in complete foreordination(determinism)?

Thanks,

Rob

p.s. you might be interested in my discussion on Antinomies with Clete.

lee_merrill

Hi Pat,

Welcome back!

Patman: The last clause says "they drove away" who is they? To answer you must ask "who were 'they' the first time?" The answer is "the men."
Well, yes, that is your point, and that is my point, too. I agree that this is the right answer! Yet we can't just look back for the nearest possible noun it could fit with, to determine what a pronoun means, that is what I am saying. "They" just might mean the Marines in the sentence I gave! But most probably it does not.

God tells of all the things "he" will do, then he changes the antecedents by referring to the army of Nebuchadnezzar. We know it is Nebuchadnezzar's army because it says "his" army.
Yes, agreed so far.

You wish for "they" to refer to Alexander because Alexander did something simular, but as I try to point out, and as many agree, Alexander did not do everything this prophecy says, and Alexander is never mentioned.
Actually, I am noting the mention of "many nations," shouldn't "they" refer to them, if Babylon is only referred to as "the nation [singular] of Babylon"? Now if Alex and the Greeks are another nation (he is and they are), then they could quite reasonably include them. And I don't insist Alex did everything in the prophecy, Neb did some, other nations might have done other parts.

Also Alexander did not bring an utter and eternal end as depicted by Ezekiel 26.
I agree, that happened afterwards, though again, I don't hold that the end had to be eternal, though Tyre did have to become like a bare rock, and we have reliable reports that it did.

Jeremiah 27:11
11 But if any nation will bow its neck under the yoke of the king of Babylon and serve him, I will let that nation remain in its own land to till it and to live there, declares the LORD.

But again, living in your land doesn't constitute a promise that you will live there forever! Yes, they lived there for a while after giving in to Neb, and that was all that was required, and all that was promised here.

Then I have some questions for you! In regard to Jonah...

How can we trust God, if he can take action, and spoil his own plan himself?
How can we say that God didn't lie to the Ninevites, if he threatened unconditional destruction, yet he knew it might not happen?
Why did Jonah seem to have a better grasp of the situation than God did? He thought the Ninevites would probably repent, and thus he ran.
Now we have to question God's unconditional promises, for the situation may change, and God may have to change his plan.
Also, God may act in a way that spoils his plan, not only may the situation change, and cause a change of plan, but God may do something that wrecks his own plan.
And we also need not always follow God's counsel, for another choice may turn out better, even from his perspective. Only Scripture says differently...

Blessings,
Lee

patman

Lee

Lee

lee_merrill said:
Hi Pat,
.... what I am saying. "They" just might mean the Marines in the sentence I gave! But most probably it does not.

Actually, I am noting the mention of "many nations," shouldn't "they" refer to them, if Babylon is only referred to as "the nation [singular] of Babylon"? Now if Alex and the Greeks are another nation (he is and they are), then they could quite reasonably include them. And I don't insist Alex did everything in the prophecy, Neb did some, other nations might have done other parts.
Lee, your words give you away. You show that your answer is to just to simply confuse the issue. How are you confusing the issue? By taking the obvious meaning written in plain English, according to the grammar that we go by that the reader might understand what is being said, and saying "it doesn't say what it obviously says because something might work another way."

You cannot just grab a noun out of thin air and say that a certain pronoun applies to it to make it fit. We aren't in a court of law, we don't have blind judges here who will buy anything you say. This is our holy word written that we might understand it.

Here is a thing about Babylon, it was comprised of many nations, so in a round about way, you can say many nations did attack Tyre. But you can't take that sentence and get that. That observation comes from knowing history. The paragraph contains a complete thought. It refers to the same group of people thought out, and "they" refers to Babylon and it's army under Nebuchadnezzar.

And what's more, even though I gave you a new verse showing the absoluteness and eternalness of the utter destruction, you seemed to have missed it. This prophecy while it was fulfilled in some parts, in others, it was not.

So, Lee, you are guilty of being bias as you understand the verses. I can't say the words better than scripture already did. It plainly says who, what, when and where. Anyone without an agenda can read this verse and understand it.

You asked these questions before:
How can we trust God, if he can take action, and spoil his own plan himself?
How can we say that God didn't lie to the Ninevites, if he threatened unconditional destruction, yet he knew it might not happen?
Why did Jonah seem to have a better grasp of the situation than God did? He thought the Ninevites would probably repent, and thus he ran.
Now we have to question God's unconditional promises, for the situation may change, and God may have to change his plan.
Also, God may act in a way that spoils his plan, not only may the situation change, and cause a change of plan, but God may do something that wrecks his own plan.
And we also need not always follow God's counsel, for another choice may turn out better, even from his perspective. Only Scripture says differently...

Do you ask believing there is no answer? I hope you believe there is an answer, because as much as you tell yourself I am wrong, one day you will understand and see I am not. And you will have to square with that. What will you do?

I know you will come to the same conclusion you are at now. That God is indeed powerful despite future knowledge.

Here is the key-> The knowledge of the future is not what makes God great. It is the fact that he is in control of our eternity, and that he will see that justice is met, that good is certain, and he has the ability to see it all through.

God's grace does not make him untrustworthy. You have the same problem with God that Jonah did when you ask these questions. And Gods answer to Jonah was that there were thousands of people that need his help. Prophecy is not to show God is right all the time, it is to make us right!

Status
Not open for further replies.