Battle Talk ~ Battle Royale VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

PureX

Originally posted by Corky the Cat
Hi PureX,

I enjoy your posts immensly.

I think the answer to your question lies in their inability to accept death as final. Eveything in nature, from a blade of grass to a human being, must one day die and cease to be.

Once they accept that for what it is and drop this ridiculous notion of an "afterlife" I'm sure this planet will be a better place.

Corky
Thanks!

I think it's just the fear of our own profound ignorance that feuls all these religious fantasies about knowing how everything works and that "God" is controlling and manipulating it all. I agree that the fear of pain and death is a big part of this more generalized fear, too.

Unfortunately, these illusions of "God-knowledge" and the imagined security they give us only work if we essentially lie to ourselves about what we know and how we can know it. And that's not a healthy way to live. Self-delusions are blinding, and sooner or later that blindness will result in the very pain and suffering that we were trying to use it to avoid.

But people become addicted to it, and like any addict they will do just about anything to maintain the flow of their "fix". Neither love nor reason will prevail against an addiction, most of the time. Fear is a powerful force, and any drug or illusion that can pretend to metigate it will be an equally powerful lure ... even if it lures us to our own deaths.

Stratnerd

And they will be, come Judgement Day.

So God reveals himself unto the populace. How does this change the conclusion that life evolved? Again and again, the Biblical literalists conflate belief in God with the attempt to explain the origin of life in natural terms.

PureX

Originally posted by Bigotboy In the link supplied by Analogous, the writer specifically said that the modern human eye was an indication that there was no divine intervention, since the eye is not perfect.
I understand his reasoning, there, and I suspect this statement was in response to some creationist assertion, but a scientist wouldn't have made such an assumption. The internet is full of people with all kinds of opinions. Science is not supposed to be about opinions, though. In fact it's a process designed to weed out that sort of things when it can.

Creationists tried to use the eye as an argument for why evolution can't work, but of course it failed. In fact the eye is a good example of how evolution CAN produce such an amazing and complex result (remember that "amazing and complex" are human value judgments, and are therefor quite relative and scientifically irrelevant).

But this whole argument is irrelevant, anyway. The bottom line is that creationism is based on a presumption of "magic" and it simply can't escape that fact. So why creationists even bother with all these supposedly logical and reasonable and scientific arguments trying to support their assertion of magic, is a puzzle. Once they have crossed over into the realm of magic, of what use is logic and reason? With magic ANYTHING can have happened, and ANYTHING can be true. So why bother with logic or reason? It's useless in a realm where ANYTHING is possible.
Originally posted by Bigotboy This agrees with Analogous, who thinks that the lack of perfection precludes a perfect God. I think that this reasoning only indicates that the god who you think should exist does not. I agree with this.
Well, we can't have it both ways. God as we conceive of God is a concept. An idea. God is not a fact but an interpretation of a whole lot of presumed facts. God is a conclusion we humans reach regarding reality, and is not actually an objective part of reality itself. So is the concept of "perfection". Neither one of these ideas can ever be "proven", and so if we choose to argue about them the argument will be endless. Arguing about the reality of an idea is sort of the intellectual equivalant of audio feedback.
Originally posted by Bigotboy Is the Darwinian model of "survival of the fittest" accepted as truth by the evolutionists on this board ?
It's accepted by everyone. You can't survive in this world for long without recognizing that life forms have to compete to exist. Creationists may claim they don't believe it but their actions every day of their lives will bear witness to the contrary.

Last edited:

Bigotboy

In all this talk I have not seen anything that precludes God being the root cause of it all. I still see two differing opinions as to the origin of the observed result. Both of these opinions are not verifiable because we were not at the original event, but of course we can look at later results and make some conclusions, which is what we are discussing here. I don't want to get into the area of "is God provable?". Lets talk Science !!

I seen to have gotten silent agreement to the idea of "survival of the fittest". Give me a verifiable example of when, where and how this happened.

Stratnerd

Give me a verifiable example of when, where and how this happened.

The literature is replete with examples. Here's one

POLYANDRY AND FITNESS OF OFFSPRING REARED UNDER VARYING NUTRITIONAL STRESS IN DECORATED CRICKETS

Evolution: Vol. 56, No. 10, pp. 1999–2007.

Females, by mating with more than one male in their lifetime, may reduce their risk of receiving sperm from genetically incompatible sires or increase their prospects of obtaining sperm from genetically superior sires. Although there is evidence of both kinds of genetic benefits in crickets, their relative importance remains unclear, and the extent to which experimentally manipulated levels of polyandry in the laboratory correspond to those that occur in nature remain unknown. We measured lifetime polyandry of free-living female decorated crickets, Gryllodes sigillatus, and conducted an experiment to determine whether polyandry leads to an increase in offspring viability. We experimentally manipulated both the levels of polyandry and opportunities for females to select among males, randomly allocating the offspring of experimental females to high-food-stress or low-food-stress regimes to complete their development. Females exhibited a high degree of polyandry, mating on average with more than seven different males during their lifetime and up to as many as 15. Polyandry had no effect on either the developmental time or survival of offspring. However, polyandrous females produced significantly heavier sons than those of monandrous females, although there was no difference in the adult mass of daughters. There was no significant interaction between mating treatment and offspring nutritional regimen in their effects on offspring mass, suggesting that benefits accruing to female polyandry are independent of the environment in which offspring develop. The sex difference in the extent to which male and female offspring benefit via their mother's polyandry may reflect possible differences in the fitness returns from sons and daughters. The larger mass gain shown by sons of polyandrous females probably leads to their increased reproductive success, either because of their increased success in sperm competition or because of their increased life span.

PureX

Originally posted by Bigotboy In all this talk I have not seen anything that precludes God being the root cause of it all. I still see two differing opinions as to the origin of the observed result. Both of these opinions are not verifiable because we were not at the original event, but of course we can look at later results and make some conclusions, which is what we are discussing here. I don't want to get into the area of "is God provable?".
Right. God is an idea that is not provable or disprovable as a reality.
Originally posted by Bigotboy Lets talk Science !!
I seen to have gotten silent agreement to the idea of "survival of the fittest". Give me a verifiable example of when, where and how this happened.
I don't understand this last part. Every day I go to work, to make money, to live. If I don't do my job better than the people around me, sooner or later one of them will take that job from me. If I am not the "fittest" person for that task, the task will be given to someone else, and my survival will be directly threatened as a result.

Sure, now we go to jobs instead of hunt, and we get money instead of food. but in the end we are still hunting for food. We just have added a level of abstraction to the process. It's still the same process, however. We are all competing with each other for everything we need and want, and those of us who are better at it will get more of those things they need and want while those of us who are not so good at it will suffer want and die early.

And we aren't just competing with each other. We are competing with all the other life forms on the planet for most of the same resources, too. Competition is built into existence, and sooner or later we will all succumb to a more powerful form of energy and be injested as fuel.

Are you asking me to tell you why this is, and when and how it began? I obviously can't do that. I have no idea why existence is the way it is, or when it began, or how. None of us does. As human beings, I boubt we are capable of comprehending such information even if it were available to us.

attention

Originally posted by PureX

Have you proven that it is unprovable, or do you just assume that?

Why wouldn't humans have the knowledge to know that there is no God? So far we have been able to refute any claim for the existence of Gods and we know that these creatures are inventions of primitive societies.

Are you asking me to tell you why this is, and when and how it began? I obviously can't do that. I have no idea why existence is the way it is, or when it began, or how. None of us does. As human beings, I boubt we are capable of comprehending such information even if it were available to us.

You have some form of alienated consciousness yourself.

We have a human form of consciousness, and that is the point of view we should have when making sense of our world.

There is no point in knowing without making sense of from a human perspective.

PureX

Originally posted by attention Have you proven that it is unprovable, or do you just assume that?
The fact that I have not, supports the assertion. The fact that you can't disprove the assertion also supports it, but ultimately support in itself is not proof, and there will not be any proof for this particular assertion except it's irrefutability.
Originally posted by attention Why wouldn't humans have the knowledge to know that there is no God? So far we have been able to refute any claim for the existence of Gods and we know that these creatures are inventions of primitive societies.
No, actually we haven't been able to do so. We would have to have knowledge of all that exists, and does not exist, to know for certain that something does not exist. Until then, we are only extrapolating conclusions based on partial information. We have no proof for or against the existence of God, and probably never will.
Originally posted by attention You have some form of alienated consciousness yourself.

We have a human form of consciousness, and that is the point of view we should have when making sense of our world.
As a human, I can recognize that my consciousness does not perceive all that is. I am therefor conscious of the unknown. Thus, I am also aware of my inevitable fallability in making sense of the world around me. Aren't you?
Originally posted by attention There is no point in knowing without making sense of from a human perspective.
We do the best we can with the limited information we have, and the limited capacity we have for understanding this information. But we would be dishonest if we assumed this were enough to "know the whole truth". The concept of God is not a relative truth, but as we conceive of it, is a unversal or "wholistic" truth. And so we lie to ourselves if we presume we can know it.

Bigotboy

I disagree. I think the resurrection of Jesus is very powerful evidence of God, but that is not our discussion here. We also have the eye witness testimony of Moses and a whole host of other people as outlined in the Bible (septuagent and either the Majority or Critical Text). You do not accept that testimony, and that is fine. Here I am trying to get the Scientific (which I assume means observable and repeatable) evidence for the Darwinian model.
The example given by Strathnerd is no good. It was done in a lab, and may or may not reflect reality in nature.("and the extent to which experimentally manipulated levels of polyandry in the laboratory correspond to those that occur in nature remain unknown.") It is loaded with statements of "may" and "probably". These are not statements of fact, they are statements of opinion, if I understand the English language correctly. Then again, I'm kind of slow witted, as evidenced by my conversion from a Darwinist to a Creationist. So if I am misunderstanding the nature of the given example please help me out.

This discussion has been about how different life forms evolved, according to the Darwinian model. Going to work has not caused any new DNA that I am aware of, or any other biological change to me. Illustrate how "survival of the fittest" has resulted in a new life form.

Stratnerd

It was done in a lab, and may or may not reflect reality in nature
if it was done in nature then you could say that it was too complex and the effects on X due to Y were not isolated therefore we don't know what's going on. But there are literally hundreds, if not thousands of studies showing differences in genetically-based phenotypes having fitness consequences both in the field and in the lab.

It is loaded with statements of "may" and "probably".
this is how it written in every field of science. this is how we leave ourselves open to alternative hypotheses that may also explain data.

Going to work has not caused any new DNA that I am aware of, or any other biological change to me.
i don't get that one; what are you trying to say?
Illustrate how "survival of the fittest" has resulted in a new life form.
if a mutation creates a novel phenotype that is genetically based and has a higher fitness (leaves more offspring) then you have a new life form. Over enough time given enough mutations and natural selection (and drift) then you probably have enough changes to recognize it as a new taxon (say species) more time and more changes then you might recognize it as a higher taxon (separate genus) and so forth.

PureX

Originally posted by Bigotboy I disagree. I think the resurrection of Jesus is very powerful evidence of God, but that is not our discussion here.
Even if it happened, how would this unexplainable event be "evidence of God"?
Originally posted by Bigotboy We also have the eye witness testimony of Moses and a whole host of other people as outlined in the Bible (septuagent and either the Majority or Critical Text).
Oh c'mon! We have stories about Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny, too, are they then to be taken as evidence of their existence? Stories about God are stories about God. They aren't evidence of anything except that the idea of God exists in human beings and so are reflected in our stories.
Originally posted by Bigotboy You do not accept that testimony, and that is fine. Here I am trying to get the Scientific (which I assume means observable and repeatable) evidence for the Darwinian model.
Somehow, I doubt very much that this is what you're trying to do. If you are interested in observable and repeatable evidence for evolution, all you need do is go to the library and read a few reputable books (not written by religionists) about the scientific study of the theory of evolution and I'm sure will find evidence a-plenty. Or perhaps you could just pick up a book on something like dog breeding, and then contemplate how the environment could do the selecting over time, just as humans have been doing for the last few hundred years, and see the amazing variety of characteristics that have occurred as a result. Or maybe take some photos of your relatives into the bathroom, and study your own face in a mirror, and see how you have inherited many of your physical featured from them. Then ask yourself how those features have effected the quality of their lives and yours. If you're really interested in natural selection, it's all around you.
Originally posted by Bigotboy The example given by Strathnerd is no good. It was done in a lab, and may or may not reflect reality in nature.("and the extent to which experimentally manipulated levels of polyandry in the laboratory correspond to those that occur in nature remain unknown.") It is loaded with statements of "may" and "probably". These are not statements of fact, they are statements of opinion, if I understand the English language correctly.
Unlike religion, science doesn't deal in absolutes, except abstractly. If you require certainty, for "proof" you can't have it. That's an illusion that only exists in religion.
Originally posted by Bigotboy Then again, I'm kind of slow witted, as evidenced by my conversion from a Darwinist to a Creationist. So if I am misunderstanding the nature of the given example please help me out.
Careful. If you keep playing the fool like that, you may become one.
Originally posted by Bigotboy This discussion has been about how different life forms evolved, according to the Darwinian model. Going to work has not caused any new DNA that I am aware of, or any other biological change to me. Illustrate how "survival of the fittest" has resulted in a new life form.
When one wants so badly not to see, it's fairly certain that he will not see. My suggestion would be that you work on opening your eyes and mind a little, and then perhaps you will be able to better recognize the nature of your own reality. I don't think the theory of evolution is really what's bothering you.

attention

The fact that I have not, supports the assertion. The fact that you can't disprove the assertion also supports it, but ultimately support in itself is not proof, and there will not be any proof for this particular assertion except it's irrefutability.
No, actually we haven't been able to do so. We would have to have knowledge of all that exists, and does not exist, to know for certain that something does not exist. Until then, we are only extrapolating conclusions based on partial information. We have no proof for or against the existence of God, and probably never will.

As a human, I can recognize that my consciousness does not perceive all that is. I am therefor conscious of the unknown. Thus, I am also aware of my inevitable fallability in making sense of the world around me. Aren't you?
We do the best we can with the limited information we have, and the limited capacity we have for understanding this information. But we would be dishonest if we assumed this were enough to "know the whole truth". The concept of God is not a relative truth, but as we conceive of it, is a unversal or "wholistic" truth. And so we lie to ourselves if we presume we can know it.

You assume the following:

To know wether or not a God exists, one must know about everything that can or does exist. Which we in no possibile way can.

However, there you again assume something, with no proof, that it is necessary to know all of existence, before one can answer wether or not there exists a Deity.

However the issue is simple this. Wether or not I know about everything that exists or can exists or not, I can at least put all of that together in one category and give it a name.

That Category will then contain all of Existence, which is everything that can or does exist.

I could ask myself then, if All of Existence could have had a start or begin.

If I were to assume that All of Existence had a begin, then the only way it could have had a begin is when it began from or in nothing.

But.... Nothing is not a begin. Nothing is only nothing.

Which means that I need to state then that All of Existence did NOT have a begin. Something, in whatever form or constitution, must have been existing Always.

This simply logic just shows and proofs to us, that we do not have to assume a Deity exists.

It does not -in first instance- proof that all of existence does not contain something we can call a Deity, since we are not assuming anything in this stage of our reasoning about that matters.

The issue is then simply this: wether or not any Deity exists, there is always a form of existence, and All of Existence did not have a begin neither had an end.
In the same way as we can not assume All of Existence had a begin from nothing, All of Existence neither can have an end in nothing.

But my conclusion that there has had to be always something that has existence already proofs to me that this fact is not dependend on the existence of any Deity or any other particular thing that does or can exist.

However, it is stated about a particular Deity, that this Deity is the necessary being, without which the world would not exist.

We have however shown that the existence of the world (All of Existence) is not dependend on that Deity.

Now the only possible way in which we then could give meaning to the fact that this Deity is the necessary being of the world, is if the world in total - all that is or can exists - would be equal to that Deity. If we would assume anything less then that, then this would conflict with the property of the necessary being, since that would make this Deity to any other something that might - or might not exist, but which is not in any way crucial for the world itself to exist.

So, in principle we could state that, that this Deity is the necessary being and is therefore equal to All of Existence, without having to deny that that Deity exist. And that is of course the only way in which we could state that, since if that Deity would be anything -whatever minimal- less then All of Existence, it would not have the property of the necessary being.

But this is of course not everything, cause that Deity also comes with the definition that that Deity - for else it would not be a Deity - would have to be a consciouss being.

So, only of this defined form of existence - which as we have stated must be equal to All of existence and can not be anything less then All of Existence - could be matched with the property of being consciouss, only THEN we could state that this Deity can and does exist.

The problem is however that for this Deity, there would not exist anything outside of it (since that is already contained within that Deity since it is equal to All of Existence). Which means it is impossible that that Deity can be consciouss of something that exists outside, apart and independend of it.
There is realy no way in which this Deity could state it's own consciousness, cause neither does there exist something outside of itself, about which it could state that it has existence, at the same time there is nothing that exists, that could state the existence of that Deity.

Which means: in no possible way is there any way for this Deity to have it's existence stated in an objective way. This Deity therefore does not have anything outside of itself, and could not state anything about it's own existence, and neither can something outside of this Deity state anything about the existence of that Deity.

This therefore means: we can not conclude that this Deity has consciouss existence, since it is not in any way possible to state that in any objective way.

That means that EITHER that Deity is not consciouss itself, and can therefore not be the Deity which we defined OR that Deity is consciouss but then at the same time not All of Existence and would therefore not be a necessy being for the world to exist, and for that reason can neither be the Deity which we defined.

The use of this logic therefore means, that there is no possible way in which this Deity can have all of the properties by which it was defined (necessary being & consciouss being).

Which means: this Deity - which is defined as having BOTH the properties of the necessary being AND a consciouss being can not exist.

Again, this does not affect that for the logic we have presented there must always be something instead of nothing, so the world itself would not be any less existing without that particular Deity.

Thus, even when I can not know ALL of existence in any possbile way, I CAN however know that a Deity - which is defined as both the necessary being and a consciouss being - can not exist.

Last edited:

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You are right that the deity you defined as follows does not exist.

Now the only possible way in which we then could give meaning to the fact that this Deity is the necessary being of the world, is if the world in total - all that is or can exists - would be equal to that Deity.

attention

bob b:

Yes. That is of course the issue.

But if a Deity would not be defined as the necessary being it would not be a Deity.

It would just mean that we would have to assume that the existence of a Deity would be an arbitrary form of existence, which would not be in any way necessary for the world itself to exist.

But that is not how a Deity - or at least a particular Deity - has been defined.

Whatever there can exist, a trillion light years from here, or a trillion years in the past or future, we can not in any way know.
Whatever the exact causes and mechanism there was that causes for instance the Big Bang, the existence of the solar system and the earth, the existence of life and the existence of consciousness, might perhaps be never completely, exactly and fully understood.

But that is for the logic I presented in no way a handicap.

Last edited:

PureX

Originally posted by attention Thus, even when I can not know ALL of existence in any possbile way, I CAN however know that a Deity - which is defined as both the necessary being and a consciouss being - can not exist.
If I define God as water, I can then prove God exists simply by showing you some water.

We can play these irrelevant mind games until the "cows come home", but they don't mean or prove anything.

First, "God" is an idea. The idea of God exists. This we do know. The proof is right in front of you, on your screen, as we are discussing the idea of God existing.

But does this idea we have of God have an existence beyond what's in our minds, and separate from us? This is what we can't know. For God to exist as something more than an idea in our minds, means that the idea of God has moved from the one within us to one beyond us. And we don't know what exists beyond that which we know, so we can't know if God has reality there or not.

What exists in the the realm of the unknown, is unknown. Because it's unknown, we don't know what exists there and what doesn't. Once God is contemplated as something more than just an idea in our minds (which happens the moment we ask if God exists separately from us), then the idea outstrips us, and moves to the realm beyond our knowledge, and can exist there without our knowledge.

We don't know what exists or doesn't exist beyond or outside of what we know. But we can reasonably extrapolate from past experience that there are many things that do exist beyond our current knowledge. God may or may not be one of them.

attention

If I define God as water, I can then prove God exists simply by showing you some water.

We can play these irrelevant mind games until the "cows come home", but they don't mean or prove anything.

First, "God" is an idea. The idea of God exists. This we do know. The proof is right in front of you, on your screen, as we are discussing the idea of God existing.

But does this idea we have of God have an existence beyond what's in our minds, and separate from us? This is what we can't know. For God to exist as something more than an idea in our minds, means that the idea of God has moved from the one within us to one beyond us. And we don't know what exists beyond that which we know, so we can't know if God has reality there or not.

What exists in the the realm of the unknown, is unknown. Because it's unknown, we don't know what exists there and what doesn't. Once God is contemplated as something more than just an idea in our minds (which happens the moment we ask if God exists separately from us), then the idea outstrips us, and moves to the realm beyond our knowledge, and can exist there without our knowledge.

We don't know what exists or doesn't exist beyond or outside of what we know. But we can reasonably extrapolate from past experience that there are many things that do exist beyond our current knowledge. God may or may not be one of them.

At no point in my previous discussion I had the point of view that we know everything, or can know everything, or would need to know everything, in order to know the answer to the question if and wether or not God exists in the way it is defined as BOTH being the Necessary Being AND a Consciouss Being.

I agree with you that we both have - since we are talking about it - a concept in our mind which we have called God. In the subjective sense God does exists, and I never claimed otherwise.

This idea is a concept of our language. Although there are several definitions of God, we can check this definition with reality. Like I did.

I showed that to have the property of Necessary Being, is a property that can be actualized, or in other words: it can be a real property of a specific something.

What it means for the world is that the world itself - all of existence - has always existed. THAT is necessary being.

But take any part of that - of all of existence - and we can already see, that that particular something does not have that property.

The sun, the earth, the oceans, all of life forms and human beings, all these denote not something that has always existed.
In the same way this holds true for ANY part of the WHOLE of existence that it had not existed always, and thus can not have the property of Necessary Being.

Therefore like I said, we have to take it one step higher, and take All of Existence, and THEN we can say that it must have existed always. THAT is thus what conforms with the property necessary being.

Necessary Being is All of Existence. Anything less then All of Existence can NOT have Necessary Being

It is the WHOLE of existence that has the property that it exists necessarily. But any PART of existence, can NOT have that property!

Likewise we have explored the property of consciousness.
We have shown that to be consciouss of something, means to be consciousness of SOMETHING which is apart, outside and independend of one self.

To STATE that consciousness exist in the objective sense, is to state a reciprocal relation between self and something that exists outside, apart and independend of self.

I exist objectively and in consciouss form because I can be consciouss of SOMETHING that is independend, outside and apart of myself, and something that is apart and outside and independend of me, can state or affirm my existence, since it can in an objective way relate/interact with me.

If neither of these were the case, then I would not be consciouss and/or I would not exist. To be both existent in the objective sense and be consciouss means that there must be an objective relation between me and something apart, outside and independend of me, which can state/affirm my objective existence, and of which I can be consciouss.

But the WHOLE of existence does not have something outside of itself. The WHOLE of existence can therefore not have consciousness.

Ergo: The WHOLE of existence can not be consciouss, and can therefore not be God.

But since God must be AND the Necessary Being AND Be Consciouss, this means that God can not exist.

Now this particular God therefore does not and can not exist

Last edited:

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Bigotboy
I disagree. I think the resurrection of Jesus is very powerful evidence of God, but that is not our discussion here.

Even if it happened, how would this unexplainable event be "evidence of God"?
Even if a man who claimed to be God demonstrated his power over nature and weather, healed the sick and blind, and raised others and himself from the dead, all while fulfilling countless direct prophecies and prefigurements, we shouldn't count that as evidence that God exist, right PureX?

Originally stated by Christ
If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead. Luke 16:31
Well said!

Status
Not open for further replies.